Start by marking “The Promise of Lumby (Lumby, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Promise of Lumby (Lumby, #4)

The Promise of Lumby (Lumby #4)

Hidden in the foothills of a bucolic landscape lies the charming village of Lumby and its quirky inhabitants. The town mascot, Hank, a pink flamingo who thinks he's a bald eagle, came to Lumby long ago because of its mountains, while others still come for the promise of a brand new start. But what happens when the town's warm welcome turns cool?

At Montis Inn, the success
Published July 7th 2009 by NAL (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise of Lumby, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise of Lumby

Sherrie
Sep 07, 2009 Sherrie rated it it was amazing
"The Promise of Lumby" by Gail Fraser
(from the back cover)

Hidden in the foothills of a bucolic landscape are the charming village of Lumby and its quirky inhabitants. The town mascot, Hank, a pink flamingo who thinks he's a bald eagle, came to Lumby long ago because of its mountains, while others still come for the promise of a brand-new start. But what happens when the town's warm welcome turns cool?

At Montis Inn, the success of Pam Walker's on-location restaurant is leaving her overworked and
Angela
Aug 17, 2010 Angela rated it really liked it
Reading another book in the Lumby series now feels like returning to visit old friends. The adventures at Montis Inn and Saint Cross never fail to delight me while also giving me something to contemplate. The main story in The Promise of Lumby though is that of Thomas Candor, a man seeking to forget his past. Fraser actually begins her story not in Lumby but with Tom as events unfold in a way that destroys his marriage and potentially his career. This was a great way to reveal information ...more
Lydia Presley
Jun 28, 2010 Lydia Presley rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, comedy, 2010, cozy
Finally I feel like Fraser has gotten back to where she captured me in The Lumby Lines. I sped through this book and found myself giggling over and over again.

Now, I will say this - some of the situations, as is normal by this point if you have read the other Lumby books, are a bit fantastic. I have a hard time believing koalas and other exotic animals are just being sent to this little, quaint town, but - I went along with it just because it's good, wholesome fun.

I really enjoyed the budding ro
Debbie
Jul 15, 2009 Debbie rated it really liked it
When I first received this book I was not too excited and thought the title was kind of strange (not having read any other Lumby books) but I am so glad I received this now! Otherwise I would have missed out on a wonderful book filled with a quirky town full of people you will come to love. I love how Hank, the town’s flamingo mascot, ends up every where and is attributed all of these great actions. The antics of the towns people will put a smile on your face even as you are shaking your head. I ...more
Mike
May 24, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, contemporary
This is the 4th book in the series. I am thourougly enjoying these Lumby books. I just started this one and I can't wait to finish it so I can get to the last book in the series.

Just finished and like the other three books in the series that I've read, I loved it. It would be amazing to find a quirky town with quirky citizens. This book has a few storylines and as usual, there is a love connection involved. One can't wait to find out what happens. It's a great read and the additions at the end o
Paula Ratcliffe
Nov 28, 2014 Paula Ratcliffe rated it really liked it
Shelves: fsb-media
This book was great we get to meet a new resident of Lumby who is shy to mention what kind of past he is coming from, and we also get to see Pam Walker have her ups and downs as she decides to loosen up her reign on the Montis Inn Kitchen. I thoroughly enjoy coming back to Lumby for all it’s creativeness and can’t help but love Gail Fraser’s humor on this small town. We also get to catch up to all Hank’s antics in this captivating book.
Eldon
Aug 01, 2010 Eldon rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010, read-2010s
Despite someone "jettisoning" down the road and a mention of "impressionable" grandeur, (jetting and impressive? - heads up editors!) and confusion of little Timmy/Tommy Beezer's name and the name of the town near Saint Cross abbey (Franklin/Hamilton) AND Jimmy the Jerk and Dennis the Despicable it was still good to visit Lumby once again.
Connie
Jan 25, 2010 Connie rated it liked it
The Promise of Lumby is light, entertaining reading. I have read all of the books in the series. Booklist Magazine compares these titles to Jan Karon's Mitford series.

I do not agree with this. Karon's books are much better written and the plots and characters are more highly developed.

The Lumby books are great if you just want a pleasant book to make you feel good and laugh a little.
Linda
Mar 13, 2014 Linda rated it really liked it
Animal doctor Tom Candor arrives in Lumby trying to become a part of the community however Dennis Beezer the newspaper owner doesn't quite trust him and Dennis sets out to expose Tom's past life. Dennis lives to regret his mistrust and actions. Pam hires a chef for the Inn but finds it very difficult to give up control of the kitchen.

This book was hard to get started but I stuck with it.
Oct 27, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
These books were recommended to me because I enjoy Fannie Flagg's books. While the first two Lumby books were okay, I soon recognized the formulaic writing that would ultimately result in a romance between two characters. I could easily predict what would happen by the first few chapters and the fun left Lumby.
Linda
Sep 05, 2009 Linda rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is book 4 in a series. Start with The Lumby Lines, if you wish to read the series. These are funny, serious, quirky, and entertaining. The series is set in a small town in the Northwest, and the characters are wonderful.
Jan 13, 2010 Sarah rated it it was amazing
My absolute favorite of the Lumby series!!! If you're an animal lover looking for an escape to a small town, this is a great book. I've actually read this one twice. Just hilarious and I still love the monks. When is the 5th book of the series coming out?
Terrah
Aug 01, 2009 Terrah rated it really liked it
I've been waiting for a while for this to come out! It's the fourth book in the series. If you've ever read the Mitford books, it's a similar style.... laid-back small town cozy fiction.
Jenn
Feb 19, 2010 Jenn rated it really liked it
Growing up in a small community, I loved ready about the quirks of a small town. I'll definitely put the rest of the Lumby books on my "to-read" list.
Gail
Feb 14, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it
The Lumby series is filled with such quirky characters. Always a fun story with some serious moments.
Sandra
Oct 19, 2009 Sandra rated it really liked it
Just found Fraser's Lumby books and devoured The Promise of Lumby. So comfortable and pleasurable to read. Can't wait to see which other ones the library has!
Nan St.Michael
Aug 09, 2016 Nan St.Michael rated it it was amazing
Loved it. All the usual quirky and warm characters both human and animal and the bonds that hold them together.
Lesley Peck
Lesley Peck rated it it was amazing
Feb 05, 2011
Heather
Heather rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2016
Dianne Fullam
Dianne Fullam rated it liked it
Dec 26, 2014
Linda Brough
Linda Brough rated it really liked it
Dec 15, 2009
Lorna
Lorna rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2014
Melissa Coyle
Melissa Coyle rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2013
Patricia Wanzenried
Patricia Wanzenried rated it it was amazing
Dec 27, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Aug 08, 2015
Jill
Mar 17, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Pearl
I really enjoy this series. If you liked the Mitford series you will like this one too.
Catherine
Catherine rated it it was amazing
Dec 24, 2015
Aggie
Aggie rated it liked it
Mar 09, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2011
Anna
Anna rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Night Wanderer
  • Hope Springs (Hope Springs #2)
  • Eye of the Whale: A Novel
  • Aprons on a Clothesline
  • Uncle Arthur's Bedtime Stories Volume One (Bedtime Stories, #1)
  • Walking to Gatlinburg
  • Life's Little Annoyances: True Tales of People Who Just Can't Take It Anymore
  • Song Of The Orange Moons
  • The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker
  • Celebrity Chekhov: Stories by Anton Chekhov
  • Planning to Live (Toronto, #3)
  • Riding the Pony Express
  • Sand in My Eyes
  • Keep the Lights Burning, Abbie (On My Own History)
  • Breaking Out of Bedlam
  • The Spanish Gardener
  • The Eyes of the World
  • The Wild Birds: Six Stories of the Port William Membership

Lumby (5 books)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby, #1)
  • Stealing Lumby (Lumby, #2)
  • Lumby's Bounty (Lumby, #3)
  • Lumby on the Air (Lumby, #5)