Start by marking “Inventing the Abbotts and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Inventing the Abbotts and Other Stories

Inventing the Abbotts and Other Stories

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  647 ratings  ·  32 reviews
A stunning collection of short stories from the bestselling author of The Good Mother, each exploring the shifting ground of erotic and family relationships today.
Published May 1st 1987 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Inventing the Abbotts and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inventing the Abbotts and Other Stories

Kris
4 STARS

"Like Sue Miller's bestselling novels, this collection of short stories explores the treacherously shifting ground of erotic and family relationships with deftness and depth. The title story is about a young man who takes up successively with three daughters of the most fashionable family in town. In other stories, whose characters range from a young girl in the first blush of sexual curiosity to a stricken dowager whose seizures release a brutal and sometimes obscene candor, Sue Miller p
Kate
A day or two after I'd gobbled straight through this slender volume-- elegantly written, with intriguing (if not entirely sympathetic) characters, the thought crossed my mind: "Hey, this was kind of like Cheever country!"

And that's not a bad thing, not a bad thing at all.

Considering that I did wolf down all the stories in two days, it seemed at the time that I "really liked it" but on reflection I don't think these stories will stay in my mind and heart for long. (Not like, say, Cheever's "Far
Leah
All of the stories are set in modern America, and each one is like a microcosm of domestic drama. Some span a long time in retrospect, but each story felt like a peep through a keyhole at the characters and their lives.
There are 11 stories in all, many of which are astutely observed relationship accounts, including the psychology of sexual encounters, but not all of them. We have the brothers, one of which ends up having a relationship with each of the 3 sisters from the richest and most eligib
Liz
This collection of short stories was incredibly well written and also incredibly sad. Most of stories are first person accounts of family, divorce, domesticity and strange bedfellows. The characters are disconnected and dissatisfied with the their lives. I guess that is why I found it so sad. Because it is all so common and ordinary.

My particular favorite was "Inventing the Abbots", which is a much more realistic and darker tale about class and pursuit than the Liv Tyler and Joaquin Phoenix fil
Jenny (adultishbooks)
May 17, 2014 Jenny (adultishbooks) marked it as abandoned
Stopped at pg 65. The stories were unengaging, characters flat and the language unremarkable. I was bored and kept checking to see when the current story would be over. This is going in the bag of books to the used bookstore ASAP.
Tana
Let me be upfront: I am not a short-story lover. I picked this up expecting, based on the back cover, that the stories would be interconnected tales about life in a small Illinois town, centered on this one family. The first story was pretty good. And then that was it. There's no theme, and that might have been OK except the others were increasingly dull and forgettable. I would have given the first story alone 3 stars; but the rest of the book brings it down.
Elizabeth Anderson
Beautifully written and engaging characters.

Richard Jespers
Miller is so adept at writing the so-called domestic story. But she fully realizes each character without favoring or slanting anything toward a particular given. Her words in the last sentences are so all encompassing, almost like poem’s lines. Really character driven, making each story “unpredictable.”
Lorrie
Oct 02, 2011 Lorrie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lorrie by: Patsy recommended Miller--not necessarily this particular book. I just found it at the used bookstore.
Sue Miller is extraordinary! Now I want to read more of her work. Thought I'd start with these short stories. There were eleven in all. Inventing the Abbots was the longest, so I guess that's why it was first...hence: the title. Miller has a way of capturing an event and describing it so thoroughly that you can remember the smell of the moment. Some of her work is so private, so personal, that you realize you've never even talked about the moment before. This book was so nice for a story a sitti ...more
Alison
I picked this up because I'd seen the movie on lifetime and Sue Miller is a former teacher of mine. The combination seemed to make sense when I saw the cover at the library. I liked it more than I expected. There is something very readable about Miller's prose, and relatable about her characters. The plots, however, seem to center around mundane or unpleasant sexual encounters...maybe that's just what stuck out to me. It appealed to me more as a writer then as a reader.
D
I thought I would pick this up after seeing the movie (which I really enjoyed). Needless to say, I finished the "Inventing the Abbotts" story, but was disappointed. So disappointed that I decided not to push through the rest of the book. The short story seemed to meander and reminisce without a conclusive ending. Frankly, I think the movie is more entertaining because the screenwriter added and enhanced more dramatic elements that the story's plot lacked.
Shannon
Yuck! I have read Sue Miller's books before and have enjoyed her writing. But not this one. I read the first two stories in this book and put it down. BORING. I think that I just don't like short stories. I like to be able to dig into a character and follow a story for a long time. Short stories just don't provide that kind of escape for me. And there are too many books and too little time to read them all, so bye-bye to this book.
Katie
There's something clean and honest (and likable) about Miller's writing. Her characters are average sorts of folk, engaged in everyday activities and conflicts. It's as though she makes the mundane interesting through simple candor.

Not an earth-shattering read, just thoughtful. I look forward to trying one of her novels.
Sharon Archer
even though i enjoyed these short stories, the subject matter was kind of weird...there were always these sexual undercurrents that didn't follow my thought process...this is the kind of book that you should only read if you know there is someone to discuss it with...
Wyatt
What, you mean Liv Tyler's character isn't in love with Jacquine Pheonix in this one? I love the movie. I love the story too...but Pamela (Liv) is such a hussy in this one. Reading that, Inventing the Abbots broke my heart all over again, in a new way this time.
Veronica
I remember the advertisements for this movie when it came out, but never saw it. Then I was browsing the library shelves yesterday and thought I'd check it out. I really enjoyed it. Also read the other short stories in this book as well. Good read for sure.
Charity
I found most of these stories to be boring. The 'Inventing the Abbotts' story surprised me in how rushed it was (since the movie is considerably long). The events all seemed crammed in together without any build-up or normal flow. Not impressed.
Deb
Some of the stories were really good, and a couple I didn't enjoy. Read them all. Basically, women and men and their relationships whether married, divorced, never married, with children, without! I think that about covers life!
Sheila
Aug 10, 2009 Sheila rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no.
The first and title story was the only one worth reading. I admit I skipped the second. The rest were pretty forgettable. Can one of Susan Miller's characters handle a first date without sleeping with the guy?
Liz
Defies classification. A group of short stories by Sue Miller as she tries to define the boundaries in "love relationships" between a man and a woman. Some of the stories are better than others.
Peter
Feb 10, 2008 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Peter by: radio review
Sue Miller is just as good writing short stories as novels. I couldn't wait to finish one in order to start the next. And they're quite different one to the next.
Mary
A little too contemporary for my taste. I only like contemporary if 1) I can strongly identify with characters or 2) the book makes me laugh.
Melissa
I found most of these stories disturbing. I do not recommend this book. I wanted to punch most of the people portrayed in each story.
Alice
You may have seen the movie if not please see it. Again Sue Miller is a good writer and you will most likely enjoy this.
Ania
This is a series of short stories. I didn't really like most of the stories and kind of found them pointless and boring.
AnimoR Lomy
awwwwww Es lo mejor. La moral de cada uno siempre está en juego, pero el amor jamás deja de triunfar a pesar de todo.
James
Sue Miller is a wonderful, thoughtful writer. A fun, short read.
Susan
Great stories by a great modern author.
Gmh357
1st story was the best.
a fine writer
  • Trust Me
  • Runner's World The Runner's Diet: The Ultimate Eating Plan That Will Make Every Runner (and Walker) Leaner, Faster, & Fitter
  • Starting Over
  • Catholic for a Reason: Scripture and the Mystery of the Family of God
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • Joan of Arc: In her own words
  • Mendocino: And Other Stories

Sue Miller (born November 29, 1943 in Chicago) is an American writer who has authored a number of best-selling novels. Her duties as a single mother left her with little time to write for many years, and as a result she did not publish her first novel until 1986, after spend
More about Sue Miller...
While I Was Gone The Good Mother The Senator's Wife Family Pictures The Arsonist

“I tried to talk about it to Lily, to make her see that for once, I'd earned a feeling. [p. 174]” 1 likes