Start by marking “That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown” as Want to Read:
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown

That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown (Emily Brown)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  88 reviews
When the Queen steals Emily Brown's favourite toy and erstwhile companion - a toy rabbit called Stanley - Emily sets out to get him back and teach the naughty monarch a valuable lesson.
Published January 1st 2008 by Orchard (NY) (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown

Kathryn
Nov 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra
A delightful, humorous and touching story about the tender (and sometimes fierce!) love-and-devotion children feel for their favorite toy. For Emily's rabbit is indeed a most marvelous toy--so marvelous, in fact, that The Queen wants him and is willing to trade Emily with all manner of splendid NEW toys. But, Emily, ever loyal, says no deal! Will The Queen leave it at that...?

I love the portrayal of imagination and friendship with Emily and her rabbit and the illustrations by Neal Layton are qu
Boni
A great read-aloud, but please note: melodramatic English accent required. Otherwise, you simply do this book an unmeritorious injustice.
Big Book Little Book
Helen for Big Book Little Book

We borrowed this book and it was so worth a read. Although it can be enjoyed by younger ones I think this is definitely a picture book best suited to an older pre-schooler, or those in their first year or so at school. There is a fair bit of text for a picture book and some of the ideas and groups of people mentioned are well over the heads of younger readers (or should I say listeners!).

Emily has a much loved rabbit called Stanley, a great starting point for a stor
Marshall
As soon as we told the clerk at the local book store that our daughter loves Iggy Peck Architect, she went straight for this book and told us our daughter would love it, too. True, she loves it, and like Iggy Peck, her parents love it, too.

We've had this book only two weeks, but I've read it every night before bed since we got it and I enjoy reading it each time. Emily Brown and her stuffed animal rabbit, Stanley, are always having adventures, but getting interrupted by representatives of the qu
Lisa Vegan
Sep 14, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who have a beloved favorite stuffed animal, doll or toy; kids who enjoy imaginative play
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
A wonderful book about what makes a toy special to a child, and imagination and love and fun, and familiarity, have a lot to do with it.

Of course, when the Queen offers Emily a plethora of toys in exchange for Emily’s toy rabbit, a rabbit she covets, and misnames, naturally no replacements wil satisfy Emily.

I love all the adventures that Emily and Stanley the rabbit have, and the illustrations showing these adventures are marvelous.

I love how Emily shows the Queen how to create a beloved toy of
Megan
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Curricular Uses: Read-Aloud, Independent Reading
Theme: Keeping good friends close, the importance of friendship, standing up for yourself
Topic: Stuffed animals as friends
Literary Elements: Repetition (rat-a-tat-tat, This rabbit is not for sale. And his name isn't Bunnywunny. It's Stanley.), predictability, humor
Illustrations: Bright, colorful illustrations that support the text. Very imaginative images.
Additional Comments: Children will love this story because
Kimberly
My children all love this book. They all have a special stuffed toy just like Emily Brown.
Rana DiOrio
The Story: Emily Brown is an adventurer, a dreamer, a thrill seeker. She enjoys sharing her Odysseys with her faithful companion, Stanley. The ruler of the kingdom in which she lives, Queen Gloriana, has a thing for Emily’s best friend, so she goes to great lengths to pry Stanley away from Emily.

The Rhythm: I love the cadence of this story. It is so much fun to read out loud. The word choice helps the audience to hear the sound effects, and the refrain helps to build Emily’s understandable frust
Marissa Garcia
Emily Brown and her old gray rabbit live an exciting, fun life together. They’ve been having adventures everywhere from outer space to the Great Barrier Reef for as long as Emily Brown can remember, and Stanley is her greatest friend and confidante. But someone wants Stanley for herself – Her Most Royal Highness, Queen Gloriana the Third! She sends her chief footman, army, navy, and air force to offer Emily Brown all sorts of shiny new toys in exchange for “Bunnywunny”. Emily Brown declares that ...more
Ashley
With a dash of Knufflebunny flavor this story takes admirable wit and charm as Emily maintains her love for her well loved stuffed bunny Stanley. She will not be separated despite a spoiled queens demands. In the end Emily teaches the Queen how to make a "real" toy and all are happy. Quirky in the best way, this story is a bit too long for a storytime read aloud, but would be a great sharing book for at home.
Saffron
This is a lovely tale about the little girl of the title and her toy rabbit, Stanley. They enjoy all sorts of adventures together - landing on the moon, crossing deserts - but the Queen decides she would like to have Stanley for herself. To this end, she sends royal guards, soldiers and the secret service with increasingly enticing offers in exchange for Stanley, but Emily stands firm.

The illustrations are a lovely mix of collage and drawings, not disimilar to Lauren Child's work, but with a mor
Becky H.
Jun 21, 2008 Becky H. rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky H. by: co-worker
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown is a delightful story about Emily and her old gray rabbit toy named Stanley. They go on many adventures using their imaginations, but keep getting interrupted by people sent by Queen Gloriana who wants Stanley for herself. This story contains repetition and predictability. Each time a child hears the, “rat-a-tat-tat! at the Kitchen door,” they will expect another person to arrive and ask for Bunnywunny. Each time Emily tells them “His name isn’t Bunnywunny. It’ ...more
Erica
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown was selected as one of School Library Journal's best books of 2007. This charming picture book is about Emily Brown and her perfectly worn in stuffed rabbit named Stanley. Emily and Stanley goes on amazing adventures together but every time they are interrupted by a messenger from the Queen. The Queen wants Stanley. She offers Emily Brown many wonderful toys in exchange for the old gray rabbit but Emily refuses to trade. After repeatedly being denied, the Queen ...more
At Home
This is the second time we've borrowed this book from the library, and the kids love it. Particularly the message that a 'real toy' only becomes that way when you love it and play with it a lot - that meaning is created through action, not just possession.
Emily
I just love this book for many reasons. The story is sweet but not sticky sweet. It will feel familiar to many adults and children: her well-worn, well-loved stuffed bunny is Emily Brown's best companion, trumping dolls and toys that do more or look nicer. Visually, the book's combination of collage and cartoon drawings works very well, especially when Emily Brown is imagining that she and Stanley are exploring a rain forest or astronauts in space. And I just love reading this book out loud -- t ...more
Britta
Playful, artistic, but genuine book about a girl who won't give up her special stuffed rabbit to a greedy queen. Along the way, we see her amazing imaginary adventures, beautifully illustrated. And we learn about love, anger, jealousy, and devotion, among other things. My toddler loves this one!
Carmen
My girls request this book often. They like to read along and seem to be able to relate to having an old, well-loved toy which they would never give up!
Kelly
A current hit in our house. Bea insists on it most nights, I have a feeling it will be a while before this goes back to the library :)
Dale Meyer-curley
A great story of a girl's love for her stuffy. And yes, you do need to read with outrageous fake British accents!
babyhippoface
Emily Brown and her rabbit, Stanley, go on adventures together every day; sometimes they go to the moon, sometimes they explore the desert, sometimes they're in the jungle. But lately, every time they're exploring, they are interrupted by a messenger from the Queen, who wants Stanley for her very own. Emily Brown is going to have to get tough with this Queen if things are going to work out.

This is one of my favorite read-alouds for first grade. There are several different voices you get to do, a
Heather
This was an amusing book. My daughter enjoyed it, and so did I. Recommended.
Erin
Read for a pajama storytime in Feb/March.

This was kind of a risky choice for this group, as it's a mixed age group and this is a fairly long story. I'd done it a couple of times at my previous branch with mixed results.

But the 4 to 7 year olds were enthralled, and the one not-quite-2-year-old followed their lead. Even some of our older kid peanut gallery at the computers were pretty tuned in.

I love the imaginative text and illustrations, as well as the repetition, and it gave me a chance to do
jacky
I got this out of the discount bin at Shaws, but it was still a very cute book. It reminded me a lot of Knuffle Bunny in that it dealt with a special stuffed bunny and it used drawings along with photographs for the illustrations. The story had repetition like I would expect in a children's story, complete with a repeated structure and sound. I liked this story mostly because it is about having a special toy that is more important than any new toy. The fact that Stanley is old and beaten up is p ...more
Kim
I want to be friends with Emily Brown and Stanley.
Shannon
Read-aloud-able, adorable and quite perfect!
Becky
Great read aloud for 1st/2nd grades.
Hassy
Fantastic engaging book for young children and parents with a sense of humour.
Karelle Royal
Emily Brown refuses to give away her favorite toy. Not even Her Majesty the Queen (or her people) can convince her to give it up.
Great story to teach about favorite possessions/invaluable things.
Good to use to inspire creative writing.
S/S connection: the adventures take place in different parts of the world (sahara, great barrier reef, amazon, etc)
Also can be used to teach about greed (having a lot but still wanting more).
Art: can have students draw their favorite toy and write a story about it
Shana
Read over and over and over and still enjoying this tale of cheeky Emily Brown who refuses to hand over her rabbit (Stanley) to the naughty queen Gloriana and her royal troops. Poor "bunny wunny" who enjoys daily adventures and cuddles with Emily is stolen in the middle of the night, washed, stuffed and sewn, losing his floppyness and smile to the dismay of the naughty queen. Emily Brown rescues Stanley and advises the queen about how to make a real toy of her own!! Velveteen rabbit redux?
Jen
I just read this book for the first time and I fell in love with it. It is the story of Emily Brown and her sweet stuffed rabbit, Stanley. The Queen sends all sorts of people to get Stanley from Emily, offering her many different toys, but Emily makes it clear that Stanley is NOT for sale! As I was reading it to my kindergarten students, I kept asking them, after all the bribes, if they would give Stanley up and take the bribes and they said, "No way!" Great read aloud!
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • Penguin
  • Pants
  • Beegu
  • Shark In The Park
  • I Am Not Sleepy and I Will Not Go to Bed
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World
  • The Terrible Plop
  • Noni The Pony
  • When Dinosaurs Came with Everything
  • Ghosts in the House!
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more
More about Cressida Cowell...

Emily Brown (4 books)
  • Emily Brown and the Thing
  • Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency
  • Cheer Up Your Teddy Bear, Emily Brown!
How to Train Your Dragon (How to Train Your Dragon, #1) How to Be a Pirate (How to Train Your Dragon, #2) How to Speak Dragonese (How to Train Your Dragon, #3) How to Cheat a Dragon's Curse (How to Train Your Dragon, #4) How to Twist a Dragon's Tale (How to Train Your Dragon, #5)