Start by marking “That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown” as Want to Read:
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown

That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown (Emily Brown)

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  624 Ratings  ·  101 Reviews
When the Queen steals Emily Brown's favourite toy and erstwhile companion - a toy rabbit called Stanley - Emily sets out to get him back and teach the naughty monarch a valuable lesson.
Published January 1st 2008 by Orchard (NY) (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown

Kathryn
Nov 06, 2009 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kathryn by: Chandra
A delightful, humorous and touching story about the tender (and sometimes fierce!) love-and-devotion children feel for their favorite toy. For Emily's rabbit is indeed a most marvelous toy--so marvelous, in fact, that The Queen wants him and is willing to trade Emily with all manner of splendid NEW toys. But, Emily, ever loyal, says no deal! Will The Queen leave it at that...?

I love the portrayal of imagination and friendship with Emily and her rabbit and the illustrations by Neal Layton are qu
Boni
Feb 23, 2008 Boni rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read-aloud, but please note: melodramatic English accent required. Otherwise, you simply do this book an unmeritorious injustice.
Big Book Little Book
Helen for Big Book Little Book

We borrowed this book and it was so worth a read. Although it can be enjoyed by younger ones I think this is definitely a picture book best suited to an older pre-schooler, or those in their first year or so at school. There is a fair bit of text for a picture book and some of the ideas and groups of people mentioned are well over the heads of younger readers (or should I say listeners!).

Emily has a much loved rabbit called Stanley, a great starting point for a stor
Marshall
Jan 26, 2010 Marshall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As soon as we told the clerk at the local book store that our daughter loves Iggy Peck Architect, she went straight for this book and told us our daughter would love it, too. True, she loves it, and like Iggy Peck, her parents love it, too.

We've had this book only two weeks, but I've read it every night before bed since we got it and I enjoy reading it each time. Emily Brown and her stuffed animal rabbit, Stanley, are always having adventures, but getting interrupted by representatives of the qu
Lisa Vegan
Sep 14, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids who have a beloved favorite stuffed animal, doll or toy; kids who enjoy imaginative play
Recommended to Lisa by: Chandra
A wonderful book about what makes a toy special to a child, and imagination and love and fun, and familiarity, have a lot to do with it.

Of course, when the Queen offers Emily a plethora of toys in exchange for Emily’s toy rabbit, a rabbit she covets, and misnames, naturally no replacements wil satisfy Emily.

I love all the adventures that Emily and Stanley the rabbit have, and the illustrations showing these adventures are marvelous.

I love how Emily shows the Queen how to create a beloved toy of
Megan
Oct 06, 2008 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Picture Book
Audience: K-3
Curricular Uses: Read-Aloud, Independent Reading
Theme: Keeping good friends close, the importance of friendship, standing up for yourself
Topic: Stuffed animals as friends
Literary Elements: Repetition (rat-a-tat-tat, This rabbit is not for sale. And his name isn't Bunnywunny. It's Stanley.), predictability, humor
Illustrations: Bright, colorful illustrations that support the text. Very imaginative images.
Additional Comments: Children will love this story because
Sara
Jun 21, 2016 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I came upon this title in a blog post on Picture Book Den about teaching very young children about consent. Through that lens, the book is even more than marvellous. Freema Agyeman reads it beautifully on Cbeebies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmhTW...
:Donna Marie
THAT RABBIT BELONGS TO EMILY BROWN has a stuffed rabbit named Stanley. He is, without question, her best stuffed friend :) They go on ALL kinds of imaginative adventures together.

Well, it turns out that Queen Gloriana got wind of what a wonderful pal Stanley is and she wants him for her very own. Attempt after royal attempt, she and her forces try to persuade Emily to GIVE HIM UP! But, of course--NO DICE!

You simply MUST read this perfectly executed picture book to find out what happens :) Than
Kimberly
Sep 30, 2008 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
My children all love this book. They all have a special stuffed toy just like Emily Brown.
Katherine
Jan 21, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favourite of all the story books I read with my son when he was about 5. It is a wickedly funny and imaginative story about a determined little girl called Emily Brown who sees off the army, navy, air force and a queen in order to keep her best-loved rabbit Stanley, in spite of some very tempting offers. What a delightful book - we can't recommend it highly enough - for anyone who has, or ever had, a cuddly toy they really love (and especially for the ones who have a rabbit).

PS the au
Rana DiOrio
Feb 21, 2012 Rana DiOrio rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
The Story: Emily Brown is an adventurer, a dreamer, a thrill seeker. She enjoys sharing her Odysseys with her faithful companion, Stanley. The ruler of the kingdom in which she lives, Queen Gloriana, has a thing for Emily’s best friend, so she goes to great lengths to pry Stanley away from Emily.

The Rhythm: I love the cadence of this story. It is so much fun to read out loud. The word choice helps the audience to hear the sound effects, and the refrain helps to build Emily’s understandable frust
Marissa García
Emily Brown and her old gray rabbit live an exciting, fun life together. They’ve been having adventures everywhere from outer space to the Great Barrier Reef for as long as Emily Brown can remember, and Stanley is her greatest friend and confidante. But someone wants Stanley for herself – Her Most Royal Highness, Queen Gloriana the Third! She sends her chief footman, army, navy, and air force to offer Emily Brown all sorts of shiny new toys in exchange for “Bunnywunny”. Emily Brown declares that ...more
Michelle
Emily has a rabbit named Stanley, and they have awesome adventures together. They are such good friends, that the Queen decides she wants Stanley (or Bunnywunny, as she calls him). Everyday the Queen has a new bribe for Emily, and everyday Emily asserts that Stanley is her rabbit. Finally the Queen gets her own friend to make adventures with and Stanley and Emily can continue on theirs.

I love the story and hate the illustrations. The story is clever and funny. The illustrations look like an eigh
Ashley
Mar 13, 2014 Ashley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With a dash of Knufflebunny flavor this story takes admirable wit and charm as Emily maintains her love for her well loved stuffed bunny Stanley. She will not be separated despite a spoiled queens demands. In the end Emily teaches the Queen how to make a "real" toy and all are happy. Quirky in the best way, this story is a bit too long for a storytime read aloud, but would be a great sharing book for at home.
Saffron
Aug 21, 2012 Saffron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a lovely tale about the little girl of the title and her toy rabbit, Stanley. They enjoy all sorts of adventures together - landing on the moon, crossing deserts - but the Queen decides she would like to have Stanley for herself. To this end, she sends royal guards, soldiers and the secret service with increasingly enticing offers in exchange for Stanley, but Emily stands firm.

The illustrations are a lovely mix of collage and drawings, not disimilar to Lauren Child's work, but with a mor
Becky H.
Jun 21, 2008 Becky H. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Becky H. by: co-worker
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown is a delightful story about Emily and her old gray rabbit toy named Stanley. They go on many adventures using their imaginations, but keep getting interrupted by people sent by Queen Gloriana who wants Stanley for herself. This story contains repetition and predictability. Each time a child hears the, “rat-a-tat-tat! at the Kitchen door,” they will expect another person to arrive and ask for Bunnywunny. Each time Emily tells them “His name isn’t Bunnywunny. It’ ...more
Erica
Apr 01, 2008 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown was selected as one of School Library Journal's best books of 2007. This charming picture book is about Emily Brown and her perfectly worn in stuffed rabbit named Stanley. Emily and Stanley goes on amazing adventures together but every time they are interrupted by a messenger from the Queen. The Queen wants Stanley. She offers Emily Brown many wonderful toys in exchange for the old gray rabbit but Emily refuses to trade. After repeatedly being denied, the Queen ...more
Ana Allen
Jan 26, 2016 Ana Allen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-lit
This book was about being thankful for the toys you have by loving and playing with them. This book had interesting illustrations and even have some real pictures with the drawings on top. This book outlines the importance of finding your own style, hobby, special thing etc. Be yourself!
At Home
Oct 17, 2014 At Home rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the second time we've borrowed this book from the library, and the kids love it. Particularly the message that a 'real toy' only becomes that way when you love it and play with it a lot - that meaning is created through action, not just possession.
Laura Florand
Love this book so much. One of my top recommends to parents of picture book age little girls. Emily Brown is my hero! We need more stand-up-for-themselves heroines like her. And the art is utterly charming.
Kristin Madden
This book would be a great readaloud for elemtary students, especially if you add an English accent! It shows the creativity children have when they play, and how they feel about their attachment to their favorite stuffed animal.
Tara Lewis
We read 3-5 picture books a night. My little out is 4. You do the math (I prefer words to numbers). This is my absolute favourite of them all. It is absolutely gorgeous.
Britta
Jan 24, 2014 Britta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Playful, artistic, but genuine book about a girl who won't give up her special stuffed rabbit to a greedy queen. Along the way, we see her amazing imaginary adventures, beautifully illustrated. And we learn about love, anger, jealousy, and devotion, among other things. My toddler loves this one!
M Lee
Stanley was Emily Brown's favorite bunny toy and the two went on various imaginative adventure together. But the Queen wanted the bunny too, and resorted to bribery, military coercion, and finally thieving to snatch Stanley away. Emily confronted the Queen and recouped Stanley who, due to the Queen mishandling, was now in a injured but amendable state. Meanwhile, Emily taught the Queen how to treat her toy properly, and in the end, the Queen appreciated Emily's advice.

Emily's strong and righteo
Missun Raine
A very cute story about a little girl and her rabbit Stanley. When a naughty queen steals her rabbit she goes to get him back. Such a very great story
Carmen
Feb 19, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My girls request this book often. They like to read along and seem to be able to relate to having an old, well-loved toy which they would never give up!
Kelly
Nov 10, 2014 Kelly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-for-bea
A current hit in our house. Bea insists on it most nights, I have a feeling it will be a while before this goes back to the library :)
Dale Meyer-curley
Jan 07, 2015 Dale Meyer-curley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: duckling-books
A great story of a girl's love for her stuffy. And yes, you do need to read with outrageous fake British accents!
babyhippoface
Emily Brown and her rabbit, Stanley, go on adventures together every day; sometimes they go to the moon, sometimes they explore the desert, sometimes they're in the jungle. But lately, every time they're exploring, they are interrupted by a messenger from the Queen, who wants Stanley for her very own. Emily Brown is going to have to get tough with this Queen if things are going to work out.

This is one of my favorite read-alouds for first grade. There are several different voices you get to do, a
Heather
Jun 30, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an amusing book. My daughter enjoyed it, and so did I. Recommended.
  • I Love You, Blue Kangaroo!
  • Penguin
  • Shark In The Park
  • Pants
  • Up and Down (The Boy, #4)
  • Noni The Pony
  • Pssst!
  • Cat and Fish
  • Dirty Bertie
  • The Kiss That Missed
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more
More about Cressida Cowell...

Emily Brown (4 books)
  • Emily Brown and the Thing
  • Emily Brown and the Elephant Emergency
  • Cheer Up Your Teddy Bear, Emily Brown!