Start by marking “Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)” as Want to Read:
Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)

Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant #3)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,816 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
Political prisoner

He awoke in a tiny lightless cell, groping for memory…memory that had been erased. Hope Hubris, Jupiter governor, progressive populist, warrior hero, and presidential candidate…a “mem-washed” tool of the enemy. And if his captors’ plan worked, Hope would destroy his own political career, leaving the fate of his planet in the hands of its corrupt president
Mass Market Paperback, 345 pages
Published May 1985 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Politician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politician

Mykl
Mar 21, 2012 Mykl rated it liked it
The set-up of the book is strong. The main character loses memories and chapters alternate between him trying to recover those memories, and chapters detailing the events/memories he does recall. But this book was a bit of a drag as I found myself skimming. Politics very finely veiled as they echo political events of the 80's. Also the story became repititious in nature. Perhaps also the reality of politicians being unable to survive without special interest money and bald faced promisies is a d ...more
Dave
Jan 04, 2015 Dave rated it it was amazing
The third in the series sees Hope Hubris go from the navy to become the leader of the United States of Jupiter, fending off various attempts to undermine him, kill him, and brainwash him.

The essence of the book is a satire on the Cold War and, particularly on the USA's political process. Jupiter is a thinly veiled USA, Saturn a thinly veiled USSR.

The narrative structure is different in this book to the two previous, in that it shifts back and forth between Hope captured by some, initially unkn
David Sarkies
Apr 22, 2015 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: I wanted to read them for some strange reason
Shelves: sci-fi
Calligula of the stars?
3 May 2012

First thing I have to mention is the idea that Hope Hubris is the Calligula of the Stars. Personally I am actually beginning to wonder what Anthony actually knows about Ancient History and the early Roman Emperors. Calligua was little more than an insane monster that was more interested in indulging in sensuality than actually running an empire. That is probably the main reason the Praetorian Guard ended up sticking a knife into him in the same way the senate st
Jeremiah Johnson
Sep 16, 2015 Jeremiah Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book in this series. It is different in style and format than the previous two books, but it was still a very good read.
It was interesting to read the paralells in the political climate of the 60s-80s that he was writing about with what is happening today. Just goes to show that nothing really changes, and it makes no difference who's in office, we'll all bitch about something...
Greg
Read this book and remember it was written in 1983-86... No, it wasn't written in this century, but a generation before.

Does that make Piers Anthony someone able to see the future? Or are we simply fated to repeat history over and over with each generation, never learning from it?

Sure some things have changed and changed drastically, but so much has not. The battles over balancing the budget made me laugh and cry. Talk of the recesion, the disappearing middle class, drugs, unemployment and reso
Michelle Horsman
Jan 23, 2014 Michelle Horsman rated it really liked it
In the beginning it was very confusing, switching in the chapters between views. Once you settle in and realise why the views are changing that becomes less disconcerting. I still felt that this book lacked something compared to the first two from the series.
The politician side of Hope's life is rather humdrum, punctuated by the more intriguing chapters detailing his imprisonment.
Philip
Apr 23, 2015 Philip rated it it was ok
Disappointing when compared with the first two in the series.
Lisa
Sep 22, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, adventure
Finally, I can finish the series. I love these!
Stephen
Sep 30, 2012 Stephen rated it really liked it
The Space Tyrant series gets better and better!

Brilliantly written with Hope telling us his latest story through the use of flashbacks and memory recall mixed in with his real time situation...although this wasn't immediately clear after the first chapter. I wondered if I had missed something!

Yep, there's a lot of politics in here and not too much action (there is some) but the main theme of the story is Hope's current predicament and how he deals with it. And a jolly good story it is!
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Probably
This whole series was interesting because it followed a character through several stages of his life. With the blindfold off, you read about the character's shortcomings and how he feels about them himself. It humanizes the hero to the point that you understand and accept what he's done, but do not always like him. Basically, he's one of us with all our foibles. He's just a somewhat ordinary man raised himself to achievements in extraordinary circumstances.
Nicole
Jun 12, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The second book in the series surpasses the first book in my opinion. The protagonist was a little easier to relate to though he was still somewhat silly in nature considering his environment and not wise to the situation he was in by any means. I find it difficult to believe that he rose to the level he did considering he just doesn't seem all that bright.

Overall a decent book that made me look forward to the next installment.
Christopher Gilmour
Jan 24, 2014 Christopher Gilmour rated it it was amazing
It was all right
Leanna Aker
Nov 24, 2015 Leanna Aker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hope Hubris has now been a refugee, a high-ranking officer in the Navy, and this book has him in the political realm. There are lots of parallels to current day issues, and Hope is, as always, a fascinating character. The book is made more interesting as you flash between current time and him being held captive--brainwashed and tortured.

A good read.
Jay
Oct 17, 2014 Jay rated it it was ok
Shelves: social-sf
I liked this as a teen, but re-reading it some decades later I found myself unable to finish it. Liked the initial set up and the shout out to some basic cryptography, even like the (very) thinly veiled analogies to 80s geopolitics, but I felt the way the characters acted and talked was too unbelievable for me.
Geoffrey
Jun 16, 2011 Geoffrey rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
After two wonderful books, this one is much harder to get into ... it's downfall for me is that its a summary of 2 decades of thinly disguised US politics. But, the story is saved by it all being wrapped up in Hope Hubris trying to remember who he is while in captivity and after a memory wipe. that part is good fun.
Tim Greaton
Jun 11, 2011 Tim Greaton rated it it was amazing
I loved this entire series and reread it several times, though not in the last decade. My next reread, I will provide a detailed review. The evolution of the character and of the political changes he accomplishes are so beautifully modeled after the very problems we wrestle with on Earth each day.
Bryan457
Sep 25, 2010 Bryan457 rated it liked it
Hope wakes up in a prison cell, and is being brainwashed and sexually compromised. He triggers a series of flashbacks that bring back his memories of his political career culminating in his run for president.

Warning, a lot of sex in this book.
Worn
Feb 14, 2013 Worn rated it it was ok
Compared to the 2 first books of the series it's very disappointing . The ending gave me some hope to look over the next book of the series but other then that this book should have not existed.
Sherri
Oct 03, 2013 Sherri added it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Roxanne
Feb 28, 2008 Roxanne marked it as to-read
I have not read this book because I am trying to find the first in the series, and once I do I will beging reading through the books.
John Devlin
A series of galactic intrigue filled with sex, adventure, more sex, and some nice plot twists.
Jonathan
Witty parody of the Cold War set in space, with Jupiter as the US and Saturn the USSR.
David
I read this during a period when I still enjoyed Piers Anthony's writing.
Frank Taranto
Oct 19, 2009 Frank Taranto rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The third in the series, starting, starting to be all the same.
Jenny
Jul 30, 2012 Jenny rated it liked it
Interesting drama and great personal interaction with no rape.
Carl Hitch
May 08, 2013 Carl Hitch rated it it was amazing
Best stuff he's ever written... period.
Clark
Mar 03, 2013 Clark rated it did not like it
Skipped over a lot of it
Shawn
May 25, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, piers-anthony
Young adult 10-15
D.A. misses no commercial use & opt-in
Jul 04, 2015 D.A. misses no commercial use & opt-in rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-read
This review is for whole series -- engrossing characters and unfortunately probable world building. Absolutely the plot and the protagonist sucks you right in and goes nonstop through all 6 books.

I am a fan of Piers Anthony; but, reader beware -- this ain't no Xanth. Much more intense situations. "Caligula of the stars" on one of the excerpts is a very apt description for some disturbing portions in series; definitely for adults with actions and memories graphic/explicit as to sex, violence, rap
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • The Court of a Thousand Suns (Sten, #3)
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • Robot Blues
  • The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 3
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • The Ecolitan Enigma (Ecolitan Matter, #4)
  • Way of the Clans (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #1)
  • Empires of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #2)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • The Sagittarius Whorl (Rampart Worlds #3)
  • Emprise: Book 1 of the Trigon Disunity
  • The Ultimate Enemy (Berserker, #5)

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...

Bio of a Space Tyrant (6 books)
  • Refugee (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #1)
  • Mercenary (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #2)
  • Executive (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #4)
  • Statesman (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #5)
  • The Iron Maiden (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #6)