Start by marking “Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)” as Want to Read:
Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant, #3)

Politician (Bio of a Space Tyrant #3)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  2,386 ratings  ·  26 reviews
This is the third in the series BIO OF A SPACE TYRANT, featuring the stages in the life of Hope Hubris, the Tyrant of Jupiter, and his beloved sister Spirit.

POLITICAL PRISONER
He awoke in a tiny lightless cell, groping for memory...memory that had been erased. Hope Hubris, Jupiter governor, progressive populist, warrior hero, and presidential candidate...a "mem-washed" tool
Mass Market, 345 pages
Published May 1985 by Avon Books (Mm) (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Politician, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Politician

Mykl
The set-up of the book is strong. The main character loses memories and chapters alternate between him trying to recover those memories, and chapters detailing the events/memories he does recall. But this book was a bit of a drag as I found myself skimming. Politics very finely veiled as they echo political events of the 80's. Also the story became repititious in nature. Perhaps also the reality of politicians being unable to survive without special interest money and bald faced promisies is a d ...more
David Sarkies
First thing I have to mention is this idea that Hope Hubris is the Calligula of the Stars. Personally I am actually beginning to wonder what Anthony actually knows about Ancient History and the early Roman Emperors. Calligua was little more than an insane monster that was more interested in indulging in sensuality than actually running an empire. That is probably the main reason the Praetorian Guard ended up sticking a knife into him in the same way the senate stuck a knife into Julius Ceaser, ...more
Greg
Read this book and remember it was written in 1983-86... No, it wasn't written in this century, but a generation before.

Does that make Piers Anthony someone able to see the future? Or are we simply fated to repeat history over and over with each generation, never learning from it?

Sure some things have changed and changed drastically, but so much has not. The battles over balancing the budget made me laugh and cry. Talk of the recesion, the disappearing middle class, drugs, unemployment and reso
Michelle Horsman
In the beginning it was very confusing, switching in the chapters between views. Once you settle in and realise why the views are changing that becomes less disconcerting. I still felt that this book lacked something compared to the first two from the series.
The politician side of Hope's life is rather humdrum, punctuated by the more intriguing chapters detailing his imprisonment.
Stephen
The Space Tyrant series gets better and better!

Brilliantly written with Hope telling us his latest story through the use of flashbacks and memory recall mixed in with his real time situation...although this wasn't immediately clear after the first chapter. I wondered if I had missed something!

Yep, there's a lot of politics in here and not too much action (there is some) but the main theme of the story is Hope's current predicament and how he deals with it. And a jolly good story it is!
Barry
Oct 05, 2007 Barry rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Probably
This whole series was interesting because it followed a character through several stages of his life. With the blindfold off, you read about the character's shortcomings and how he feels about them himself. It humanizes the hero to the point that you understand and accept what he's done, but do not always like him. Basically, he's one of us with all our foibles. He's just a somewhat ordinary man raised himself to achievements in extraordinary circumstances.
Nicole
The second book in the series surpasses the first book in my opinion. The protagonist was a little easier to relate to though he was still somewhat silly in nature considering his environment and not wise to the situation he was in by any means. I find it difficult to believe that he rose to the level he did considering he just doesn't seem all that bright.

Overall a decent book that made me look forward to the next installment.
Leanna Aker
Hope Hubris has now been a refugee, a high-ranking officer in the Navy, and this book has him in the political realm. There are lots of parallels to current day issues, and Hope is, as always, a fascinating character. The book is made more interesting as you flash between current time and him being held captive--brainwashed and tortured.

A good read.
Jay
I liked this as a teen, but re-reading it some decades later I found myself unable to finish it. Liked the initial set up and the shout out to some basic cryptography, even like the (very) thinly veiled analogies to 80s geopolitics, but I felt the way the characters acted and talked was too unbelievable for me.
Geoffrey
After two wonderful books, this one is much harder to get into ... it's downfall for me is that its a summary of 2 decades of thinly disguised US politics. But, the story is saved by it all being wrapped up in Hope Hubris trying to remember who he is while in captivity and after a memory wipe. that part is good fun.
Tim Greaton
I loved this entire series and reread it several times, though not in the last decade. My next reread, I will provide a detailed review. The evolution of the character and of the political changes he accomplishes are so beautifully modeled after the very problems we wrestle with on Earth each day.
Bryan457
Hope wakes up in a prison cell, and is being brainwashed and sexually compromised. He triggers a series of flashbacks that bring back his memories of his political career culminating in his run for president.

Warning, a lot of sex in this book.
Worn
Compared to the 2 first books of the series it's very disappointing . The ending gave me some hope to look over the next book of the series but other then that this book should have not existed.
Sherri
Oct 03, 2013 Sherri added it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Roxanne
Feb 28, 2008 Roxanne marked it as to-read
I have not read this book because I am trying to find the first in the series, and once I do I will beging reading through the books.
Dev
A series of galactic intrigue filled with sex, adventure, more sex, and some nice plot twists.
Jonathan
Witty parody of the Cold War set in space, with Jupiter as the US and Saturn the USSR.
David
I read this during a period when I still enjoyed Piers Anthony's writing.
Frank Taranto
The third in the series, starting, starting to be all the same.
Jenny
Interesting drama and great personal interaction with no rape.
Carl Hitch
Best stuff he's ever written... period.
Clark
Skipped over a lot of it
Shawn
Young adult 10-15
  • Exodus (Starfire, #5)
  • The Stars at War II (Starfire, #1,4)
  • Bolo Brigade (Bolo, #4)
  • The Warrior
  • The Wolf Worlds (Sten, #2)
  • Hung Out
  • Masters of Flux and Anchor (Soul Rider, #3)
  • The Rolling Stones
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Gets Drafted (Stainless Steel Rat, #2)
  • Way of the Clans (Legend of the Jade Phoenix Trilogy, #1)
  • The End of the Matter (Pip & Flinx #4)
  • The Ecolitan Enigma (Ecolitan Matter, #4)
  • The Cyborg and the Sorcerers

Piers is a self-proclaimed environm
More about Piers Anthony...
On a Pale Horse (Incarnations of Immortality, #1) A Spell for Chameleon (Xanth, #1) Castle Roogna (Xanth, #3) Bearing An Hourglass (Incarnations of Immortality, #2) The Source of Magic (Xanth, #2)