Wild Bill Hickok & Calamity Jane: Deadwood Legends (South Dakota Biography Series)

3.12 of 5 stars 3.12  ·  rating details  ·  17 ratings  ·  5 reviews
bibliography, index, eight-page photo essay
Published September 1st 2008 by South Dakota State Historical Society

To ask other readers questions about Wild Bill Hickok & Calamity Jane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wild Bill Hickok & Calamity Jane

Rebecca
Mclaird does a good job of separating the facts from the legends that have been built around these two people. Although the story of their lives is a lot different than the popular myths about them they are still very interesting people in their own right and the author gives you a chance to see how they really were. Mclaird also explored the fantastic stories that were circulating about them and it was interesting to see how the legends and the stories started and grew even long after both had...more
Tim
"Legend" is a word tossed around too easily and misused too often. According to the American Heritage Dictionary, a legend is "an unverified story handed down from earlier times, especially one popularly believed to be historical."

In titling his latest book, James D. McLaird demonstrates he knows what the word means. Wild Bill Hickok & Calamity Jane: Deadwood Legends explains that much of what we think we know about Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane in Deadwood is, in fact, the stuff of le...more
Tom R.
When I started to read this book it talked about how many of the stories about Wild Bill and Calamity Jane were mere legends, and the author wanted to set the record straight about what their lives were really like.
My initial response was, what's the fun in that?
But it turns out they both lived such wild and crazy lives that the book is still exciting without resorting to embellished tales used by many other biographers of the two.
The book gives you a blow by blow account of the two Wild West le...more
Jenny
I read this book for History class and it was a bit boring, but very factual and informative. I learned a lot about two legendary figures in South Dakota history and this book helped me write a paper (for a book project for History class--we got to choose the topic). If you've been to Deadwood, SD, and want to learn more about Wild Bill Hickok and Calamity Jane, this is a good book for you.
Marc Leroux
I picked this up in Deadwood last summer. It's a good history of two western characters, but a bit dry in places.
Alex Davies
Alex Davies marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2013
Bev
Bev marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2013
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2013
Glenn
Glenn marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2013
Leslie Shupe
Leslie Shupe marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2013
mary
mary marked it as to-read
May 21, 2012
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2010