Start by marking “The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity” as Want to Read:
The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity

The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  605 ratings  ·  85 reviews
What leading experts are saying about the Body Ecology Diet: "No one has ever put together all that we need to know about recovering and enhancing immunity - until now. I am making it a must reading for all my patients with candidiasis, immune disorders and food allergies."
Published June 15th 2006 by Body Ecology (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Body Ecology Diet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Body Ecology Diet

Corina
When I first developed severe food allergies, a friend gave me this book. It has some solid information on acid/alkali balance and the principles of detoxification, and it helped me better understand how nutrition is medicine - but I really can't recommend it for several reasons: Following this diet religiously will starve you. I can only imagine it being advisable as a detox program for the severely ill, while being monitored by a doctor. I don't believe the testimonials in the book about how e ...more
Basinda
I have been following this book for about 2 months, it is saving my life, yes I believe that, I am over 400lbs and please! I have been through about every diet there is, worked with nutritionist , Doctor, health groups, OA(a great group who have helped me as well)I thought I was a hypochondriac because I had all these things going on in my body.
after the initial flu like symptoms of the first week, I woke up one day and noticed ...my arms were thinner, oh and so is my face.. wow....it is workin
Heather
Some good and promising information, but surprisingly poorly executed for the resources at hand. It could be much better organized to create a clearer understanding and guide. It also has a disturbing number of editorial mistakes considering it has been through a few printings. And, of course, it is shamelessly self-promoting. I can understand Gates wanting to provide the products that will help this diet, but I wish she would talk about it a little less and provide a few more alternatives to he ...more
Jyoti
May 12, 2008 Jyoti rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: chelsea
I have only read a few sections of this book, but this woman seems very wise. I have researched almost every diet out there, for my health not my weight, and have been most happy with the Blood Type Diet. This author incorporates that into her diet which intrigued me. As well as some similar recommendations to what I have discovered on my own from years of trial and error with my body and diets. There are some things I have read in her book that I don't agree with for my body, so as with any die ...more
Rachel
I have always had very painful periods, and over the years I have tried various things to see if they could help. Someone suggested I see if candida overgrowth was the reason, and so I tried this diet.

I promised myself I would give it a good go, and stick to it for 6 months, but ended up doing it for 8 months.

On the plus side:
-It worked!!! For the first time ever I was experiencing no pain with my periods! No throwing up! No horrible cramps keeping me from sleeping! No fainting! YAY.
-Best skin a
Allison
Feb 20, 2014 Allison rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults & Up
Recommended to Allison by: Louise Hay
Ever on the search for different outlooks and theories that will create new positive changes in my life, this book qualifies as a winner for me. So much of a winner, in fact, I'll be purchasing it. It is very well written. While each chapter builds upon the previous one, it's written in such a way that you can skip around and not be lost or confused.

The vast majority of the material she covers covers ideas and methods I've heard of before but not understood the correlation between the different
Alex
I have just finished reading this book and will be starting the diet next week. I will update this later, once I can tell you if I have had success with the diet to rid my candida.

As far as the book itself goes, the diet system is very complicated and there are some inconsistencies in the book. It also really pushes the Body Ecology products, which are overpriced and can be purchased through the author's website. There are also many statements made that seem to have no factual or scientific basi
Leigh-ann
I wish I'd had more time to spend reading this book. I borrowed it from the library and it contained far too much information to assimilate on one reading. It also wasn't the type of book that was easy to read cover-to-cover... it's really more of a reference-type, "healthy diet" book. Considering that Body Ecology is a brand name and they make a wide-selection of health food items, I was pleased that you didn't necessarily have to buy their products to follow the diet suggestions.

This was yet a
Karli
What solidified some of the ideas in this book for me was actually hearing Donna Gates speak. First off, the woman looks absolutely amazing for her age, and she spoke in a very lucid manner about concepts regarding our internal ecology that may not necessarily be backed up by hard science right now, but make intuitive sense to new agers like me. While I've never explicitly followed the body ecology diet for various reasons, I still hold to many of the principals behind the diet, and I do think i ...more
Horribly written. Confusing sentence structures, awkward fragments--just awful. Still, the content is intriguing, and my family is following the diet (or trying to, as sometimes it's impossible to tell from this book what is and what is not OK to eat) and hoping it will help our son, who has autism. So far (after a month), we believe we are seeing progress.
vanessa
my mom hyped this alot, and said lots of people said good things about it. the first few chapters were interesting and i thought it might make sense that there is a connection between your body's ph and yeast...but then the book absolutely fails to give any sort of scientific explanation past..."research shows". i like my science, i like my facts!
Maria Rickert
The Body Ecology Diet: Recovering Your Health and Rebuilding Your Immunity is a gut-healing diet that I highly recommend. Its basic premise, building upon the foundation of what William G. Crook built in his The Yeast Connection: A Medical Breakthrough book, is that many chronic issues are due to a buildup of yeast (Candida) in the body.

Sign up here for the webinar replay of my interview of Donna Gates about the Body Ecology Diet: https://xn123.infusionsoft.com/app/fo...

Because doctors don’t off
Lee
Mar 27, 2011 Lee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lee by: Jennifer
Shelves: nutrition-diets
After I heard Donna speak I wanted to learn more. And there is a LOT to learn from this book, which is more of a manual, really. I wondered if this could help with celiac's disease & general inflammation. It does seem to me that the potential is there to make a great difference to celiac's disease, though there is no specific mention or claims to do so. Gluten consumption is discouraged (except for spelt) & the diet is mostly gluten-free.

While I'm finding the book is very informative &am
Zoe Zuniga
I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to follow this diet and learn to make my own fermented veggies. Although the ideas are not all completely new Gates has put together a nice synthesis of ideas. I am skeptical of her use of the material from Adamo's Blood type diet book but other than that I believe this book can help with chronic health issues. Proboitic balance does seem to be the missing element in many diet systems.
Gates adapts the Chinese and Ayervedic systems so they are easy to
Karen
I finally, with much effort, finished this book last night.

The Body Ecology has been used successfully by many people to heal their body of systemic candida infection, and keep candida under control. Candidiasis is a chronic problem in most people today, leading to digestive disruption (heartburn, IBS) food allergies and environmental allergies - especially chemical sensitivity. In fact, the inability to be around people wearing perfume, beyond just a dislike of that particular scent, is a clas
Christine
I think I may have skimmed my way through this book when it first came out years ago, but on a recent desire to improve my health, I picked it up to try. I read it cover to cover in less than a week.
Based on it, I made many changes to my regular food intake. While I still have a ways to go, in less than 2 months, I dropped 15 lbs, cut both my blood pressure and cholesterol medications in half (the hope is to be off them entirely in 3 more months).

From my overall reaction to things, I don't bel
Jess
Sep 18, 2014 Jess rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Candida Sufferers, the overweight, & anyone that wants to save the world
Recommended to Jess by: Holly Paige www.foodforconsciousness.co.uk
Shelves: this-is-life
I adore Donna Gates' concept of balancing the ecology of your body through healthy eating. I have had issues with candida and interstitial cystitis for many years now. Everything in this book makes perfect sense to me. It is obvious that decades of research went into this book. The best thing I came away with is the gift of kefir (and ghee, too!). Kefir is a magical healing food, I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Also, Donna's subtle spiritual moments in this book touched me deeply. She rea ...more
Rachel Rawlins
While many of the concepts in this book are fundamental to any elimination diet, the fact that she sells her own supplements as necessary in order to do it turned me off. I don't like that I'm required to buy a specific I brand and mix of things in order to follow the fancy diet and make it work. The book gets two stars for being a good complement as a source in the midst of research, but should not be used by itself as a single point of information.
Ellen Naylor
This book is a valuable resource on Candida. I found it hard to get through, but worth it since the knowledge is that good. Donna Gates is very passionate about helping people fight Candida. Many have it, and don't know. Following the Candida diet often helps those with Autism. Donna is a great speaker too. I heard her at a conference at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition in 2013. Articulate and passionate.
Principle Based Learning
This was useful as I was looking for a short-term dietary cleanse. I really gained from the way the author has brought together many ideas from various sources. This book is written (it seems to me) as if it holds all of the answers to all kinds of health troubles… maybe even all of them. I’m convinced that following the nutritional guidelines of this book (especially if you have been on the standard American diet) will bring you to a better state of health. Over the years, however, I have come ...more
Marta
This book has a lot of information and recommendations about how to eat in a way that makes it easy for your body to process food and absorb nutrients and avoid yeast infections and other gross things your body does sometimes. I don't know how realistic it is to follow ALL of the recommendations in this book (it's easy to get overwhelmed, just take it one step at a time), but the basic principles are great and the recipes are delicious. Like a lot of reviewers, I also did not like the plugs thro ...more
Johannes Bertus
This book is the Rolls Royce of colonic detoxes and I can understand it's alure - but one would nead the iron discipline of a kung fu master to maintain its regimen. My advice: use the book as a reference, but speak to a nutritionist about setting up your own detox. Not all candida sufferers can (or should) follow as draconian a diet as Gates's. You might be setting yourself up for failure if you try to stick with her plan. I, for instance, would not have lasted a week on the plan if my nutritio ...more
Dominique
This books is outstanding!! I feel like I finally have the knowledge and tools to help my body heal itself without all the latest gimmicks and "new food claims".

I CAN'T wait to start it!!
Ptizzz
This is the book that started my entire diet transformation and changed my life for the very best. I have never followed the protocol strictly but the principles and recipes are life changing.
Meihua Lam
Easy read but drags on

Lots of experiential info less scientific backing but still very convincing. Will be using a lot of the info to create custom diet.
Sarah O'Flaherty
An excellent read. Well written and bumper full of useful information. Athough I've only just read it, I've started following some of the advice and found my health improving!
Sinclair
Lota of good stuff here. Some of it I wanted sources better, but this is one of THE bibles for rebuilding your gut and candida health, so it's worth reading.
Rena Sherwood
Completely dull, forgettable and highly questionable crap. Skip it and talk to your doctor about the best diet and exercise plan for your unique needs.
Andrea
Apr 02, 2015 Andrea added it
As a big fan of probiotics and eating fermented and cultured foods, I had really hoped for more out of this book.
Cherie Kephart
Full of helpful advice for people who suffer from persistent health issues like candida, and weakened immune systems.
  • The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Food and Healing
  • Dangerous Grains
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Traditional Foods Are Your Best Medicine: Improving Health and Longevity with Native Nutrition
  • Digestive Wellness: How to Strengthen the Immune System and Prevent Disease Through Healthy Digestion
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • Integrative Nutrition: Feed Your Hunger for Health and Happiness
  • Revive: Stop Feeling Spent and Start Living Again
  • The Magnesium Miracle (Revised and Updated)
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • Eating for Beauty
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
Donna Gates, a nutritional consultant, author and lecturer has helped thousands of people overcome candidiasis and other immune system disorders. Her book, "The Body Ecology Diet", was written after years of research to find a cure for her own candida-related health problems. Frustrated with conventional medicine, she embarked on a long course of study into many different healing concepts, includi ...more
More about Donna Gates...
The Baby Boomer Diet: Body Ecology's Guide to Growing Younger: Anti-Aging Wisdom for Every Generation Daily OM: Learning To live The Stevia Story Sled Dogs of Denali The Stevia Cookbook: Cooking with Nature's Calorie-Free Sweetener