Start by marking “Angel Land” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Late in the 21st Century-ravaged by the deadly Sept virus, the one time United States has disintegrated into The Fundamental Christian Territories, where Catholics, Baptists and Jews are registered as heretics, and gays are herded into walled ghettos: the Zones of Perversion. Harvey Milk Walton, a runner, finds his way to the ghetto in Angel Land, oldest of the territories ...more
Published September 1st 2008 by Quest

To ask other readers questions about Angel Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Land

My Fair Captain by J.L. LangleyDark Space by Lisa HenryThe Englor Affair by J.L. LangleyGravitational Attraction by Angel MartinezEvenfall by Santino Hassell
Best Gay Science Fiction Romance
104th out of 318 books — 548 voters
Mind Fuck by Manna FrancisEvenfall by Santino Hassell18% Gray by Anne TeninoFallocaust by Quil CarterA Strong and Sudden Thaw by R.W. Day
Gay Romance Futuristic Fiction
33rd out of 127 books — 166 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Erno
Mar 28, 2010 Jeff Erno rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay-fiction
Harvey Milk Walton is no hero. Contrarily, he has learned early-on that his number one priority is to look out for “Numero Uno”. He lives in a dystopian society at the end of the 21st century, and it seems the world around him is dying. It is a society in which Christian Fundamentalist ideology has become the rule of law, and people like Harvey are regarded as sexual deviants. Harvey is gay.

The story’s central character finds himself on-the-run from the time he is very young. Eventually he is se
Kris
The Review:

Honesty from the outset~

I have only recently - like within the last couple of weeks - started reading this author and am (very) rapidly becoming a rabid fangirl. I find him an amazing storyteller.

First things first~

This is a gripping tale about 'what if'. That is, what could happen when a federal government 'allows' itself to be convinced and in turn sanctions fundamentalist dogma against minority groups, which become easy scapegoats in a time of great uncertainty.

The post-Apocalyptic
Ruth Sims
Aug 22, 2011 Ruth Sims rated it it was amazing
I read this in 2009 and just realized I never put a review on Goodreads. Now I must remedy that situation!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
By
Victor J. Banis
Publisher: Quest
ISBN-13 978-1935053057
224 pages
Available: Print & Amazon Kindle
Angel Land by Victor Banis will keep you off balance like nothing you’ve ever read before. It switches not only p.o.v., sometimes within the same chapter, but switches voice as well, from the first person narrative of the escapee, H
Alan
Nov 03, 2008 Alan rated it liked it
Victor Banis takes the reader into the future, late in the 21st Century, when the United States has disintegrated into territories ruled by Fundamental Christians. Catholics, Baptists and Jews are registered as heretics, and gays are herded into walled ghettos that are reminiscent of the Jewish slums of Nazi Germany. In this setting, Harvey Milk Walton, a young gay man on the run from the religious authorities, finds that his only option to escape execution is to hide in the gay ghetto, but he s ...more
Edina Rose
Fantastic! I loved this book so much! If not for the confusing narration sometimes, I would have given it a 5 stars. The plot & the characters are great, the dystopian drama is super good and the romance is solid. I think it's my fav book by this author, hands down.
Crys Harris
May 10, 2014 Crys Harris rated it it was ok
Shelves: shelved
I wanted to like this and I tried hard to read it before giving up at the 35% mark. I love dystopian worlds, and the bones of this story are very good. Sometimes the writing is engaging and I appreciate the setting.

Unfortunately, the change of point of view is distracting and it prevents me from really engaging with the characters. I don't particularly like Harvey, even though the author sets him up as a classic anti-hero redeemed.

Maybe I will try again when I am in a different frame of mind, l
Byron
Jun 09, 2011 Byron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m-read
This is an amazing sci-fi read... with a future that is very possible being the setting. Characters are well painted. There is an element of humour in the story, yet the story is quiet... emotional for want of a better word that doesn't ruin the story for future readers. For me this isn't a story that's good I really feel that Angel land earned 5 stars for originality, character development and story movement.
Cheers,
b
Erik Orrantia
Jan 30, 2011 Erik Orrantia rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read! Interesting futuristic possibility, especially coming from the San Francisco Bay Area myself. I didn't realize it was a bit of a fantasy before I bought it. At any rate, I continue to learn from the master of novels myself. Victor's writing is always so fluid. Glad I started with Victor on my brand new Kindle.
Ayanna
Dec 23, 2013 Ayanna marked it as to-read
Shelves: to-read-maybe
OH GOD THAT COVER FUCK FUCK FUCK IS THAT A FUCKING WEEPING ANGEL GET IT THE FUCK AWAY FROM ME HOLY FUCKING SHIT WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING HOW THE FUCK DO YOU EXPECT ME TO READ THIS DAMN STORY GODDAMNIT ALL I'M GOING TO RUN HOLY SHIT IT'S A FUCKING WEEPING ANGEL
SueM
Jun 17, 2011 SueM rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, free-ebook
I found the writing too stilted for me, and I found I couldn't care about the characters either. Sorry, but I prefer to develop some attachment to the characters in whatever book I'm reading.
Sol
May 19, 2015 Sol rated it did not like it
Shelves: didnt-finish
The story and setting were interesting but it felt like the author tried to cram as many gay stereotypes as possible and the characters were so annoying I just couldn't keep reading.
k_b
Jun 26, 2011 k_b rated it it was amazing
Very interesting dystopian book. The characters are quite well rounded. But while this book ends on a hopeful note, it's a bit of a depressing journey. Highly recommended.
LenaLena
Jan 15, 2012 LenaLena rated it really liked it
Excellent world building, good characters. A little predictable, but very, very enjoyable. I love me a good dystopia!
Sheila
Jul 21, 2012 Sheila rated it did not like it
Bland, amateurish writing; unlikable characters; implausible concept. Actually rather cliched.
Paul Wilson
Nov 30, 2011 Paul Wilson rated it liked it
Interesting read and well written. Sometimes a bit over the top in the fantasy world for me.
Ewelina
The ‘don’t judge a book by its cover’ adage has never felt so apt!
Avivs
Nov 20, 2010 Avivs rated it it was amazing
AMAZING!!!
all the good reviews are right.
so beautiful.
Lola
Jan 16, 2012 Lola marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Yeah, a country like that already exist. I live in it.
Arlene
Nov 17, 2010 Arlene rated it it was amazing
A must read dystopian society.
Lady*M
Jan 16, 2012 Lady*M marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
To reread.
LOLA
LOLA marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Holly Roberts
Holly Roberts marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Lena♥Ribka
Lena♥Ribka marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2016
Sephony
Sephony marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Scherlock
Scherlock marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2015
John Simon
John Simon rated it it was ok
Oct 03, 2015
Camilla
Camilla marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2015
  • Knight Errant (Knight Errant, #1)
  • Mute Witness
  • Collateral
  • Home for the Holidays (Details, #1.5)
  • Missing Daughter, Shattered Family (David Lloyd Investigations #1)
  • Over the Mountain of the Moon: A Tale of a Samurai Consort
  • 18% Gray (Task Force Iota, #1)
  • No Quarter (Bounty, #1)
  • Zero Hour
  • Son of a Gun
  • Esperanza
  • Persistence of Memory
  • Angels of the Deep
  • Blurring the Lines (Blurring the Lines, #1)
  • Holden and Yves – The Early Years (The Slave Breakers, mini-prequel)
  • Looking for Some Touch (Utopia X, #1)
  • Dark Angel (Vampire #.5)
  • Hot Cargo (Healing #2)
119291
Victor J. Banis is a writer. Go here to read his own autobiographical sketch. It's worth it.
More about Victor J. Banis...

“I wasn't the smartest kid in town but I've always thought if you hang around with smart people some of it's bound to rub off.” 1 likes
“Books of value are just like people of value-they try only to elevate others, to help them to rise and to grow.” 0 likes