Start by marking “Gonzo” as Want to Read:
Gonzo

Gonzo

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,462 ratings  ·  29 reviews
Gonzo is a tour de force that will take you into the world of American writer and iconoclast Hunter S. Thompson.
Published December 1st 2006 by Ammo Books

To ask other readers questions about Gonzo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gonzo

Austin House
A great picture book to read, gonzo focuses more on the art with less words and great pictures. I enjoyed reading this and it was really cool to see the pictures Thompson has showing certain moments in his life. I would recommend this book to anybody who loves people with exciting stories to tell.
Jon
This is more of an art book, with maybe a 25-page bio of the Doctor written by Ben Corbett. But the next 220-some pages are nothing but pure joy in the form of old photos from Thompson. It's great to see candid snapshots of his famed trip to Vegas, pictures of all of the anti-drug pamphlets he got at the narcotics convention, pictures of him hitchhiking as a kid and hanging out in Big Sur and San Juan and everywhere else. My only complaint is that this book isn't huge and oversized; I'd love to...more
Frank
An fantastic picture of the life of Hunter S., structured as a story told through the words of his friends...it goes into a lot of depth on his early life, which was excellent (he was a little devil child), but the excitement peters off towards the end of his years. I'd still recommend it if you're interested in learning how he got to be the way he is, or just want to hear his exploits told first-hand. He as a person still fascinates me.
Josh
A fun book that serves its purpose well. To be clear, this book is very much an art book. There is little to no text and focuses instead on high-quality illustrations, clippings, and photos. With this in mind this would be a great thing to pick up for HST fans. It isn't revelatory and I would say it's a bit overpriced at regular MSRP but if you can find it at a discount it makes a great collector's item and looks fantastic on your shelf.
Tim Calvin
A stunning large-format, limited edition (3000 copies) visual showcase of the life and times of HST. See the draft first page of Fear and Loathing in LV, notes on napkins, travel pictures, the works. Beautiful, and a centerpiece of my collection.
furious
an excellent collection of pure Gonzo photos, mostly taken by the good Doctor himself. a lot of these you may have seen, but not in this size, & many of them are here in unedited form. for the HST completest, this is obviously essential, but the casual fan will not get as much out of it.
Irene
Its amazing to read the true life of Hunter through his friends and family, not a santitized biography. He was a strange and complicated person at times, but you had to admire him staying true to himself
John Stout
great book...captured the insanity of Hunter S. Thompson from the point of view of his friends and family...because it was an oral history the reading was smooth and information and fun!
Josh Roupe
If you're a fan of Hunter S. Thompson, this is an essential book for your library. Great rare pics and documents from his lifetime illustrate his madness on a very cool, candid level.
Matt
A great little piece of Hunter history. This book sucked me in and I couldn't put it down. It had to be the perfect mixture of pictures and great Hunter quotes.
Lauren
You will pour through this book for hours and hours. Very inspiring to anyone who writes in any capacity. Hunter Thompson fans must own this book.
Noah
"Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived, or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed?"
Madkropotkin
Photos and quotes from one of the worlds most fascinating personalities. Two thumbs way up, recommended for any Thompson fan.
Lee
Great pictures by HST. A must have for the big time HST fan. Not much here for someone looking for a good book to read.
Evan Bartlett
Great set of photos, but would really have liked to see more descriptions, details, and stories of his life.
Harley
Great photos from the life of Hunter S Thompson. Really interesting to look at.
Linwood
its a top notch coffee table book, chock full of original photos by the man himself.
A visual biography, which sounds kind of cheesy, but holy shit it is beautiful.
Erk Whocares
Any journalist out there may find this inspiring to write...
Jordan
Beautiful photographs and tidbits. A must-have for any Thompson fan!
Ml
Interesting read on a strange character.
Zack LeBret
Hunter's photography is very compelling.
Jesper Sorensen
this seem to be the best photo book ever
Jeremy
A great visual companion for many of his stories.
RB Love
It's pretty. My mom gave it to me.
Amanda P
my bf bought me this for xmas last year
Mallory
What's better than a HST picture book?
Sara
  • Hunter: The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • The Revolt of the Cockroach People
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • I'm a Lebowski, You're a Lebowski: Life, The Big Lebowski, and What Have You
  • Dead Men Scare Me Stupid
  • Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs
  • Graffiti Women: Street Art from Five Continents
  • The New Journalism
Hunter Stockton Thompson was an American journalist and author, famous for his book Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. He is credited as the creator of Gonzo journalism, a style of reporting where reporters involve themselves in the action to such a degree that they become the central figures of their stories. He is also known for his promotion and use of psychedelics and other mind-altering substanc...more
More about Hunter S. Thompson...
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas The Rum Diary Hell's Angels: A Strange and Terrible Saga Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72 The Great Shark Hunt: Strange Tales from a Strange Time (The Gonzo Papers, #1)

“As things stand now, I am going to be a writer. I'm not sure that I'm going to be a good one or even a self-supporting one, but until the dark thumb of fate presses me to the dust and says 'you are nothing', I will be a writer.” 267 likes
“If you love two people at the same time, choose the second one. Because if you truly loved the first one, you wouldn’t love another. There are four questions of value in life… What is sacred? Of what is the spirit made? What is worth living for, and what is worth dying for? The answer to each is the same. Only love.” 5 likes