Start by marking “Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters” as Want to Read:
Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters

Savage Shore: Life and Death with Nicaragua's Last Shark Hunters

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  25 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Nicaragua's Atlantic coast is home to the most dangerous of fish, the bull shark, a lethal predator with a fearsome appetite and the only shark that swims in inland waters. Braving Nicaragua's hurricane-torn wilderness of mangrove swamps, Edward Marriott joins the last surviving shark fishermen to sail in a dugout canoe and fish for sharks with a hand line.

As Marriott char
Published March 1st 2001 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Savage Shore, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Savage Shore

Lauren
The first 50 pages are great, then it is pretty much downhill. However, it did make me an expert (at least in my mind) on bull sharks the whole time I was in Nicaragua. My travel companions make say this book just made me annoying since I started MANY sentence with "Did you know bull sharks...."
metralindol
книгу із фотонегативом заготівельника акулячих плавців на титулці починалося читати дуже довго й кілька разів. врешті-решт зінвертоване у фотошопі зображення, виявившись рутинним моментом з чийогось далекого життя, стало позитивом й зрештою урухомило процес читання цього літа. задумане як щось на взірець книжного еквіваленту подорожі в дусі кореспондента National Geographic з ручкою замість камери (як я собі то розумів), "Дике Узбережжя" не викликало у мене великих очікувань. однак авторові меан ...more
Eric_W
I ran across this book while browsing through a Barnes and Noble where Sheila was signing her latest book. I ordered it when we returned along with several others by Marriott, an excellent sociologist/anthropologist.
The bull shark, notorious for its aggressive behavior and a fearsome appetite, is unique in that it inhabits both fresh and salt water. They can maneuver and attack in as little as three feet of water, so it’s been difficult to sell the area as a tourist attraction since swimming is
Paul
Nicaragua does not appear to have entered the late twentieth century intact, especially the Atlantic coast or the interior.
I am pretty sure if I was to ever go there the only water I would enter would be a swimming pool or shower. Between the sharks in the ocean, rivers, and lakes, the piranhas, and the alligators it sounds a little to much wild kingdom for me. The author had some major guts to travel the way he does in a country as dysfunctional as Nicaragua. This was a very entertaining book.
Andy
A first hand view of Nicaragua's shark hunters. Gives interesting looks into the life of the bull shark, as well as some info on Nicaraguan life and culture.
Jrobertus
an entertaining narrative of a trip from the atlantic coast to lake nicaragua talking to shark hunters. tracking the migration of bull sharks into the lake.
Maha
Maha marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Val
Val marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lori
Lori is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2013
James
James marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2013
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2013
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Lola
Lola marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2012
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2010
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2010
Plague: A Story of Science, Rivalry, and the Scourge That Won't Go Away The Lost Tribe: A Harrowing Passage into New Guinea's Heart of Darkness The Plague Race Claude and Madeleine: A True Story