Start by marking “The Mall” as Want to Read:
The Mall

The Mall (Point Horror)

He's Everywhere...Waiting Just For Her!

Trish smiles into the dressing-room mirror, admiring herself in the gorgeous white dress. Unknown to her, someone else is watching. He knows she is smiling just for him. His soft, strange voice whispers her name from the crowd. His hooded eyes follow her every move...

At first she thinks he's just a creepy customer, hanging around Muff
Published October 1st 1992 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about The Mall, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mall

Jul 12, 2016 Sandra rated it it was amazing
Trish Somerfield works at Muffin-Mania in the mall food court. One day a strange looking guy appears and buys a muffin. He is gaunt, has dark glasses, long ash gray hair and beard, and talks in a strange whisper. Trish finds him unsettling and different and she’s glad when he leaves. Later she meets up with her friends on her break, sisters Nita and Imogene, who also work in the mall. When she goes back to Muffin-Mania there is a message for her saying her car has been hit. She goes outside to t ...more
Sati Marie Frost
Dec 13, 2010 Kitty rated it liked it
Oh man, oh man. I found this book for a quarter at a local thrift shop and told myself I'd save it for some rainy day when all I wanted to do was stay inside in bed and have some fun and I got exactly what I wanted. Well, minus the rainy day at least.

I have such a weak spot for late 80s/early 90s horror cheese so this book was right up my alley. The plot could kind of be described as Phantom of the Mall. Trish and her friends all work at the local mall that is so populated by teenagers in high p
Rebecca McNutt
Feb 22, 2016 Rebecca McNutt rated it really liked it
Much creepier than you'd think, The Mall is the story of a high school student whose stalker can change his appearance at will. But when anyone's face could be his face out there in the mall's crowds, how do you know who to trust? Strange, mysterious and suspenseful, it's a great book for mystery fans.
Jul 22, 2016 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 80s-90s
Gerard Villegas
Ah Richie Tankersley Cusick's The Mall! This brings back to the 80's and 90's of bad teen horror books where the most successful YA novels were terrible thriller novels that were so poorly written and cliché filled that you can't help but laugh at the sheer cheesiness of these stinkbombs. But I ate these guilty pleasures with a spoon! That is why The Mall is a classic and since I downloaded an audible version of this e-book, I'm going to stick with the true spirit of this book and give this revi ...more
I guess this book was ok. It took me a while to read. It's basically about a girl who works at the mall who has a secret admirer. He walks right up to her (although she doesn't know it) and buys a honey muffin. Later in the book the girl starts figuring out she has a secret admirer and starts narrowing down the suspects. I wish the killer was who I th out it would be but it wasn't.....
Aug 28, 2014 Stefanie rated it liked it
Shelves: owned, point-horror
Mar 09, 2016 Chrissie rated it liked it
Shelves: retro-ya-horror
Sep 03, 2012 Leah rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Teen fans of softcore dark fiction
Rating: 4 of 5

The Mall was among the many "teen" horror books I read in the early 90s, between the ages of 12 to 15. In those days, when I wasn't buried in a Stephen King novel, nine times out of ten I was reading L.J. Smith, R.L. Stine, Christopher Pike, Caroline B. Cooney, or Richie Tankersley Cusick. Their novels always thrilled and entertained, and yes, there was a healthy dose of jumps and creepies.

Nowadays, I'd recommend The Mall for younger 12- to 15-year-olds, who want to dip their pin
Jul 29, 2015 Rose rated it it was amazing
I don't care what y'all say. I know this book is trash, but it's MY GUILTY PLEASURE. I love this book, okay? It's got the creepy stalker, nostalgic 90s vibes, horror, and my god, look at that cover! And she works at a place called "Muffin Mania." YES!!! I first read this at a friend's house. I borrowed it and was desperate to find it again every since. Now, we are reunited, and I shall read this in all its two-dimensional-character goodness.

Hells. Yeah.
I've been re-reading a lot of Point Horror books lately, and I find that Richie Tankersley Cusick typically has the best ones (or at least the best written ones).

This wasn't one of her best, though. It was still
entertaining and the killer was creepy, but the whole thing just felt a bit off. I still had fun re-reading it, so I guess it wasn't that bad.
Jun 08, 2013 Tia rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome!! I read it cause I loved Cusick's other book "The House Next Door" and so I wanted to read another book of hers. She is such a good writer and really knows how to make a book scary!

This book is full of twists and turns. The cover and the fact that it's written in 1992 may be a turn-off for most people, but don't be fooled! This book's just as good as if it were written nowadays.

It's like R.L.Stine's Fear Street series, but up three notches. Thinking about, it's probably t
Aug 10, 2015 Carra rated it really liked it
I'll be honest, thought I'd have been as disappointed in this as I was in Pool Party, but I quite enjoyed this. Maybe RT-K is just a better writer, but it was nice taking a stroll down memory lane with this one.
Oct 09, 2015 Samantha rated it it was amazing
Great! Very suspenseful! though many of Cusick's books are a tad predictable, this one I found was more or less a modern twist on The Phantom of the Opera.
Oct 18, 2016 Jenn is currently reading it
I remember loving this one as a teen and recognizing that cover instantly when I saw it at a book sale the other day, I had to pick it up again!
This was okay. It started off pretty good but I found bits a bit confusing, especially how the mall is set up. I can't really think of how one goes down two different elevators before getting to the loading dock? Is it built into a mountain or something?

Also the ending, while creepy, you just never really get to know anything about the suspect. This was just not really a favorite book of hers.
Dec 11, 2015 Gemma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Found a few Point Horror books for Kindle and thought would be quite nostalgic to read. I enjoyed the book for that reason although the story was quite long winded and the ending was quite a let down.
Sarah Hall
Sep 09, 2015 Sarah Hall rated it really liked it
I really liked this fun creepy read! It took me back to my teenagehood when I read these for the first time.
Oct 09, 2015 Kate rated it it was amazing
I loved this book when I was a teen, I reread it so many times.
Hollow May
Oct 23, 2011 Hollow May rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Richie Tankersley Cusick fans, R.L. Stine fans
Ooooh Richie Tankersley Cusick sure can bring it when it comes to chills, thrills, suspense and mystery. So many twists and turns had me on the edge of my chair trying to really guess at who was stalking the main character Trish throughout the mall. At one point getting to the end of the story when it's revealed who the stalker is and Trish now knows she made a mistake at believing it was another. She says the following; "Why didn't I trust him?" Well, Trish, that makes two of us. I was sure it ...more
May 07, 2012 Robin rated it really liked it
If I still remember this book from before I was a teenager, it made an impression.

We were talking the other day about books that stick with you after you're done reading, and I described this book, even though I couldn't remember the author, or even the title, for that matter!

Google came through again and now I'm able to present this book to others as well, even though my teen years are well behind me. I'm thinking of picking up this book again, just for old times' sake.
Jun 22, 2011 Michelle rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood-reads
I remember reading this when I was a teen (over fifteen years ago) and I remember liking it alot! It might be terrible if I read it now, but maybe I'll pick it up again one day.

Update: I bought this book on ebay and finished it in a day and a half. It was a fun read, but I wasn't scared because i pretty much remembered the ending.
Sep 17, 2008 Briana rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Briana by: Mother
This was my first RTC book.
I went through a big RTC stage and I own just about everybook. I had my favorites that I read over and over and others I read and just put on the shelf. Overall she's a great writer and will always be one of my favorites.
Toni N
Jun 08, 2014 Toni N rated it it was ok
I didn't enjoy this story at all. It had entirely too many words. It took to long to get to the point. And, it left a lot of questions unanswered.
May 29, 2016 Stacy rated it it was amazing
I read this when I was in middle school and reread it several times. I still like it...for the memories it brings back and also because I still think it's creepy..the mall, the mannequins..creepy stuff.
Dec 30, 2013 Maryellen rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
This book is exactly what I thought it would be - fast, obvious and farfetched. Well, a little less obvious than one would think of this genre.

Mindless, horror fluff, but well done.
Jul 23, 2008 angrykitty rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-teens
i remember this being lame. but maybe i just was lame. but no....i think that even though i was pretty nerdy, i wasn't really lame.....must have been the book.
Feb 05, 2009 Bethany rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: people who read scary books
Recommended to Bethany by: teacher
i didnt really like this book but it was about this girl and she worked in the mall and this guy loved her to death so he stocked her
it is kinda scaryy
  • Prom Date
  • Dream Date
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Stranger
  • Krazy 4 U
  • The Yearbook
  • The Phantom
  • The Ripper
  • The Snowman (Point Horror, #21)
Richie Tankersley Cusick is the bestselling young adult author of over 25 titles, including two adult horror titles, "Scarecrow" and "Blood Roots". Her popularity grew at the height of the horror/YA boom in the late 80's/early 90's, particularly with books like "Lifeguard" , "Trick or Treat" and "Teacher's Pet", just to name a few, allowing her to keep company on the bestseller paperback lists wit ...more
More about Richie Tankersley Cusick...

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 101 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • Prom Dress
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • The Baby-Sitter II (Point Horror, #17)
  • The Babysitter IV (The Baby-Sitter #4)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)