Start by marking “Thor” as Want to Read:

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  192 ratings  ·  34 reviews
"Harrowing." Kirkus Reviews
Thor is a German shepherd belonging to a typical suburban family, wise, trustworthy, and tirelessly devoted to his human "pack." Then Uncle Ted comes to live with Thor's owners. And the terror begins. For Ted is no longer fully human, and only Thor can detect the Bad Thing lurking within Uncle Ted. Only Thor can sense the horror he is helpless to
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published August 29th 1994 by Fawcett (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Thor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thor

My experience with this book reminds me why reading groups are so much fun.

This is not a book I would have chosen to read on my own. The premise sounds so....hinky, (a story told through the eyes of the family dog), I almost decided to sit this one out. But then a friend of mine gave it a 5 star rating, so I figured I HAD to at least give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised!

Thor protects his Pack from any and all predators, no matter their form-human or canine. But when Uncle Ted comes to vis
Trev Twinem
"Thor"oughly enjoyed this wonderful tale that takes place through the eyes of Thor the family Alsatian. It is warm, tender and at times will make you smile with a story that can be read by child or adult alike. Thor is the family protector and he looks after mum, dad, Teddy, Brett and Debbie until one day this peaceful existence is shattered when Uncle Ted comes to live with them. Ted is recovering from a personal tragedy and he has a secret that will test the strength and will of Thor to the li ...more
Started Reading Thursday, Marcy 6, 2014

One word...WOW! This is a novel I'm not sure I would have ever picked up for myself. I wanted to be a good horror book club member and show support for one of our newest member's selecting this read so I decided come hell or high water I would read it.

Wayne Smith has a talent for increasing the tension associated with an excellent horror read, while keeping the innocence of a story from a dog's point of view. He chose words that kept the story moving and e
There is a movie version of this book.

Don't ever watch it!

It actually has a good cast, and it's not as bad as the movie version of Possession.

The book deserved better though.

There are two different types of dog owners, generally speaking. There is the dog owner who gets a dog as some type of symbol. Look, I got me a pit; I'm Mr. Tough Guy. Look, I got a dog for a handbag; I'm the next Paris Hilton. (Why anyone would want to be Paris Hilton, outside of having her money, I don't know). Look, I've
Thor immediately suspects there is something wrong with Uncle Ted when he comes to visit. He seems different, but Thor can’t place it. Uncle Ted may be a threat to the family, and Thor is going to keep an eye on him, because only Thor can stop Uncle Ted. Only Thor suspects the truth.

Thor is a four-year-old German Shepherd.

That is the interesting premise of Wayne Smith’s novel. It is told almost entirely from the perspective of the dog. I realize this device has been done before, but this is th
Jul 17, 2012 Kristina rated it 4 of 5 stars
While I find this an enjoyable read, especially by the perspective of the canine protagonist Thor, who's torn between becoming a Bad Dog to sacrifice his status of Good Dog in order to protect his Family, the foreboding sense he feels about the "Bad Thing" lurking within Uncle Ted which nobody else truly understands, and the strong herding instincts of the German shepherd breed (they were originally used as herding dogs, hence the name) there are some things in the book that I still find, I dunn ...more
Sep 08, 2010 Hazel rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Pet lovers
Recommended to Hazel by: Chris
Thanks to Chris for recommending this. I quickly recognised the story, so I suspect I've seen the film, a B movie; likely made for tv. The book is another matter, great fun, clearly written by a pet lover. Anyone whose lived with a pet as part of a family will recognise particular incidents/anecdotes. A warning, though: this is so sweet, it'll make your teeth ache. I found myself going 'Ahhhh.' repeatedly, and getting weepy at the end, just like I was when Lassie came home. (There goes my veneer ...more
Matt Manochio

Thor offers fans of the werewolf mythos a quick, fun read from the vantage point of a loyal, loving German Shepherd (yup, Thor) that feels duty bound to protect its unsuspecting family from a werewolf that is living right under their noses.

The Kindle version had a few spelling mistakes in it, and I'm not sure if it's due to formatting. But it's a minor annoyance in the grand scheme.

I read Thor simply out of curiosity because I plan on seeing the movie (Bad Moon) from the 1990s on which it's base
Sarah Castillo
I found this book accidentally. I had a sudden desire for a werewolf book and I picked this one out because it was .99 cents, and I thought it was set in the past and not a horror book. In the future, I'll read the book blurbs.

Smith does a great job of characterizing Thor. His inner turmoil is poignant and parts of his story had me sniffling like a little girl. Thor, a german shepherd, is a good dog to the core, but is put in some positions where he has to act like a very Bad Dog! His conflict a
Mar 12, 2015 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
I saw the movie (Bad Moon - 1996) before I read the book and was hugely impressed by the performance of Primo (the German Shepherd who played Thor). Not only that, I was excited to see a dog who growled, snapped, bit and killed to protect his family. None of that soft knocking hay bales onto bumbling bad guys for Thor. In the movie, Thor is a serious dog from the start. Owning a serious dog, who will not fetch or play in any of the traditional senses, I was surprised.
So, to the book. Overall, th
Elizabeth Pruett
Love it!

I have read this book many times since it was first published.And it never disappoints me. The unconditional love of Thor for his family ,his fight to save them..all told from his standpoint.This gives you a perspective of a dogs life and feelings that will make you think about how they really see their family or "pack ".I love this book. It made a great movie too!
Kimberly King
Interesting take on werewolves

I found the writing to be simple but well done. It conveyed the story through the eyes of the One member of the family in a way that left me satisfied with the story overall.
Jordan Bobe
An amazingly well told story with the perfect first-person character. The tale would have possibly been just another werewolf pulp-fiction without the pulling at the heart-strings that Thor does throughout.
Saw "Bad Moon" when I was a kid and immediately picked this book up. It did not disappoint!
Fred Waltz
I absolutely loved everything about this book. It was action packed, hard hitting horror, and had a werewolf. What I loved most was that it was told from in the eyes of Thor, the family dog. Thor's mission in life is simple: Love and protect his family, at all costs. To say anymore would give away the story.

Being able to read a story from a dog's perspective is amazing. I recommend this book to anyone that loves horror, werewolves, suspense and especially dogs!! P.S. Someone else must have thou
I am a HUGE fan of german shepard books and werewolves so whe i found a book with both i knew i had to read this. This story is from the point of view of thor a family dog who would do any thing for the family he love. but when the families uncle come to town something is wrong right off the bat. thor cant help but not trust the uncle and knows something is not right. this book was great and shows the loyalty of a dog to the people he cares most about. overall a great book i recamend this to dog ...more
Eden Ashley
This is a great werewolf novel, written from a perspective I'd never read before. Thor was surprisingly good, funny, creepy, and suspenseful.
I watched the movie first simply because I was unaware of the book; Badmoon has always been one of my favorite monster flicks. After reading "Thor" I found many different elements that were left out of the movie that I now could not imagine the story making sense without. This book is all around fantastic, what with it unfolding from the dogs perspective. I found this to be very creative and different; mixed with the mysterious "bad thing" that continuously pesters poor Thor, this book makes for ...more
I purchased this book years ago, some time after seeing the movie it was based on (Bad Moon). The story is excellent and I don't know why it took me so long to get around to reading it! It was unique too - told primarily from the dog's perspective; so entertaining and touching. I was actually moved to tears (which doesn't happen often - but then, reading this book reminded me of my beloved GS, who I miss to this day).

Thor is a werewolf story, but I *highly* recommend the novel to anyone who love
Andrew Smith
You know, maybe this book wasn't the best written book in the world, perhaps it was not a book everyone would like, but I really had fun reading this. An entire book from a dogs point of view with a nice little horror story running in the middle makes for some interesting points of view, a little action, and a lot of interesting situations. This book may well open your eyes to how your dog sees you!
Nov 20, 2009 Cygny rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: owned
I used to love this book so much. I had another series about a dog of which I read and adored several books, but never bought any of those. When I found this in the bookstore however, I couldn't help myself and I never regretted buying it. I'll pass it on to my son when he reads a bit better. And him loving dogs as much as me, I'm sure he'll love it too.
I really wish this book was still in print because it's one of my all time favorite werewolf stories and I'd love to use it in my teen book club. Excellent writing, great characters (especially the main character, the german shephard Thor) and a terrific story!!
L.J. McDonald
An enjoyable, quick read. Thor's dog logic and thought processes while he tries to reason his way through the strange things that are happening are fascinating. And his attempts to maintain his Good Dog status versus becoming a Bad Dog kept me glued to the page.
Neal Serpa
Thor is an interesting book. It's a fun read, but I didn't find myself very scared. It's a well-written story told from the perspective of a dog trying to protect his family. I'd definitely recommend this book.
Excellent story told from a dog's perspective without anthropomorphism. Paranormal thriller with a unique twist. Something truly different. I highly recommend it!
Paula K Breeze
Apr 03, 2007 Paula K Breeze rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: dog lovers
Best dog book ever and that includes everything by Albert Payson Terhune and Fred Gipson (well, maybe not "Old Yeller").
I don't remember much about this book, but I do remember enjoying it quite a bit, and it wasn't what I was expecting.
The hero is an awesome loyal German Shepherd and the villain is a werewolf, how could you not love this book?!
  • Bestial
  • Wolf Hunt
  • Cinema of Shadows (Harmony, Indiana, #2)
  • City Under the Moon
  • Beautiful Beasts (Nightmares & Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Into the Out of
  • Ferals Volume 1 Hardcover
  • The Memory Tree
  • Bad Wolf (Bad Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • Blood Riders
  • Benighted
  • Drummer Boy (Sheriff Frank Littlefield, #2)
  • The Fox (Love, #2)
  • The Haunted Trail (Phantom Rider, #2)
  • Dialogues de bêtes