Start by marking “Die for You” as Want to Read:
Die for You

Die for You

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  3,920 Ratings  ·  474 Reviews
Isabel Raine thought she had everything–a successful career, a supportive family, and a happy marriage to the man she loved. Then one ordinary morning, her husband, Marcus, picks up his briefcase, kisses her good-bye, and simply vanishes.

That day, all her calls to him go straight to voice mail; the messages she leaves at his office go unreturned, too. Panicking after final
Published June 2nd 2009 by Crown (first published June 6th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Die for You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Die for You

Vaso
Jan 16, 2013 Vaso rated it really liked it
Πόσο γνωρίζεις τελικά τον άνθρωπο που είσαι μαζι του; Ένα εκπληκτικό βιβλίο, που διαβάζεται απνευστί... Συγχαρητήρια στις εκδόσεις Ψυχογιός που επιλέγουν να εκδώσουν τέτοια βιβλία....
Mandy Crider
May 28, 2015 Mandy Crider rated it really liked it
This book started out so slow for me that I thought I wouldn't be able to finish it. I felt so horrible for Isabel and wanted her to have closure and redemption. Unger has a way of pulling the reader into the pages and within her words gets the characters into your heart and mind. I was happy that Isabel had her "why" answered to a degree. Would recommend this to a friend! Unger never disappoints her readers! Will be picking up more of her books!

P.S. I hated the husband. Big time.
Anna
Dec 29, 2016 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
2,5 αστεράκια, οπότε βάζω 3 γιατί είμαι large και είναι και γιορτές!

Δυστυχώς περίμενα περισσότερα από το βιβλίο. Η περίληψη μου είχε κινήσει το ενδιαφέρον να το διαβάσω, ανυπομονούσα μάλιστα να μάθω πού έχει εξαφανιστεί ο Μάρκους και ποιος τον έχει αντικαταστήσει..

Εντάξει, θα ήταν σίγουρα χειρότερα αν είχαν τελικά απαγάγει το Μάρκους εξωγήινοι και η Ίζαμπελ ζούσε με ένα ανδροειδές που καταγράφει τη γήινη ζωή, αλλά αυτό που τελικά ήταν... κάνει την "Αρπαγή 3" να φαίνεται ταινιάρα (by the way: παρ
Kortessa
I really wanted to like this book a lot! I had great expectations! But unfortunately I was not surprised at all.
We follow a woman throught the pursuit of her husband who mysteriously disappears... Through that journey she finds out the real life she was leaving in all those years, and everything collapses.. Nothing so special I would say.
What I liked was the first half of the book and the questions without answer that were raised. That part I enjoyed.
But I did not enjoy the ending and the soluti
Elizabeth Scott
May 18, 2010 Elizabeth Scott rated it it was amazing
I admit, I went into this one with some trepidation--I'm not a huge fan of books about authors (unless the author in question is in academia--go figure!)--but I really enjoyed this.

Isabel Raine has breakfast with her husband, Marcus, and then he never comes home. When she tries to find out what happened to him, she finds out that Marcus never existed. That, and he's taken everything--all of the money she's made, and the company he was so proud of turns out to have been nothing but a way to con
Lauren Fidler
Gina
Mar 30, 2012 Gina rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Isabel is a famous writer married to a successful video game developer, Marcus Raine. Their lives seem perfect until one day Marcus doesn't come home. This begins a mixing bowl of betrayal, affairs, suicides, the Albanian mob, stolen identity, stolen money, and a whole lot of other WTF. I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. The plot intrigued me and continued to do so from start to finish. Unfortunately, the constant change in voice and jump between present day and flashbacks left me ...more
Jenn
Jan 06, 2010 Jenn rated it it was ok
Contains spoilers!!!!

Okay, to start with, normally when you read a book you like the main character or at least understand him/her. I very much disliked Isabelle. Her every decision was stupid, naive and completely selfish. She puts her family in jeopardy just because she wants to know why? I could understand, disagree with but understand her putting herself in jeopardy, but to risk her family?? Even after her stepfather is almost killed, it doesn't stop her. Her own husband, her love, points a
Lisa Kay
★★★★✩ Needed this book to fulfill an A-Z Author challenge and I'm glad I stumbled across it. Interesting thriller. Lots of adultery (which is not my thing). Great narration by Ann Marie Lee; I’ll definitely listen to another of her books and read or listen to another of Lisa Unger's books.
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Three-point-five stars

What if you discovered that you knew nothing about the person you were married to? Creepy stuff. It would seem far-fetched, except that I've read several of Ann Rule's true crime stories about women who married dangerous men. These men fabricated life stories for themselves and the women fell for it, to their detriment. The main character in this book, Isabel Raines, is like those women. She's relatively happily married, wealthy, and has a successful career as a novelist. B
Linda C
Feb 24, 2012 Linda C rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
I am probably being overly generous with the stars (probably 3.5 would be a fairer rating) as I usually reserve four stars for books with either exceptional writing or books that appealed to me on a deep level, but this book is a strong example of suspense/crime drama. Ergo, it earned four stars.

Although you knew from the beginning that Isabel's husband was not who he said he was, this was a tight, entertaining book to read. Of course, I wanted Marcus to redeem himself and come back for Isabel,
Keri Neal
Maria
Aug 28, 2015 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ένα δυνατό ψυχολογικό αστυνομικό βιβλίο με δυνατούς χαρακτήρες,στιγμές αγωνίας, δράσης και μυστηρίου που σε κάνει να αναρωτιέσαι αν πραγματικά ξέρεις τον άνθρωπο που έχεις δίπλα σου...
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 Matt Schiariti rated it it was amazing
what a fantastic read! From the early pages till the very last, this book grabs you and just doesn't let go.

Izzy Raine has a seemingly perfect life. Great husband, great immediate family, successful job as a novelist, wonderful apartment, excellent love life. Everything seems to be perfect. At first and on the surface. Then one day, her husband doesn't return from work. What she gets involved in next will change not only her life, but the lives of those closest to her as well.

What I really enjoy
Michelle
Feb 12, 2011 Michelle rated it it was ok
To be honest this book has left me totally confused. I finished ‘Die for You’ a few days ago, but thought I should wait to see if I could gain some perspective about this story before attempting this review. But here I am a few days later, and I’m still not sure about this one.

I’m not a new reader to Lisa Unger, having read ‘Black Out’ last year and really enjoying it. But ‘Die for You’ was a complete struggle to get through after the first few chapters. At first I sympathized with Isabel’s cha
Erica
Jun 04, 2011 Erica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: actual-book
There are a bunch of things about this book. the storyline is great if not intriguing, however the writing style in the first 1/2-3/4 of the book is such that it moves slow. As a result it took me a while to really get into the book. The first portion of the book contains a lot of unclear shifts between current story/flashbacks/different characters/introspective thoughts. There wasn't much dialogue or action and it made the book hard to follow. I spent much of this time confused as to what was h ...more
Nellakii❤
Ενα αρκετα καλο βιβλιο,σιγουρα οχι τοσο καλο οσο περιμενα..
Θα ελεγα πως απεχει απο ενα αστυνομικο θριλερ και δεν θα το χαρακτηριζα ετσι..
Μια ενδιαφερουσα ιστορια,με αγωνια και δραση αλλα τιποτα παραπανω...
Cymiki
Oct 09, 2016 Cymiki rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Engrossing premise....what if the life you have built with your husband is built on a foundation of lies? How far will best-selling author Isabel go to find the truth? I was tired, at times, of Isabel's stubbornness to find the truth, at the expense of personal safety and common sense....but then where would the story be otherwise?
Jim
Jun 25, 2016 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
"Die For You", is the third book I've read from author Lisa Unger. I must admit I seem to like her story telling more and more with each book of her's I read. Complex, fast paced, and with some well developed characters make her books stand out above a lot of mystery/ thriller authors I've read. I jumped into, "Die For You", wanting to read the first couple pages to see how it would start up. Before I knew it I was over 100 pages into book, and didn't want to stop. Incredibly a very fast paced 4 ...more
Christine
May 22, 2010 Christine rated it it was ok
Just a so-so thriller. I found the constant switching between the main character's first person POV and the other characters' third person POVs interrupted the flow. So did the timeline - it jumps around quite a bit. The writing also tends to veer off into moments of, well, philosophical reflection on might call it? Although that might be a bit too strong a term - the characters ruminate on the meaning of the situation or experience they're currently engaged in, which don't add much to the story ...more
Maggie Boyd
Dec 23, 2013 Maggie Boyd rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
Isabella Raine has her life crash around her in a 24 hr. period. Her husband is missing, dead or willingly abandoning her is unclear. Unwilling to let things be handled by the police and lawyers - that's not who I am - she sets out on a dangerous quest to find out what exactly is going on with Marcus.

The book is edge of your seat thrills but when the roller coaster ride is over we are left with lots of questions. Why was the villain doing what he was doing? Shouldn't his initial kill have yielde
Christine
Jun 12, 2009 Christine rated it liked it
An interesting concept, although it does require a total suspension of disbelief. I found myself forgetting who some of the people were, but overall enjoyed the book. Could have used another copy checker though, one who wouldn't be thrown off by homonyms (bare/bear, for instance)
Sheila
Apr 17, 2015 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Isabel's husband Marcus disappears she is thrown into a whole new world of intrigue that includes overseas drama.
Bridgette Adams
Jul 30, 2013 Bridgette Adams rated it really liked it
Love is what we do, not what we say. That not everyone has the strength or the ability to love another, or even himself. And that some of us have a secret heart that cannot be shared.
Rosalind
May 01, 2016 Rosalind rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good read but lack luster ending
Barbara ★
I read Lisa Unger because I need lots of "U's" for various challenges but I've read three of her books and only one was really good. The other two (including this one) were just mediocre. I just don't like her characters - they are TSTL and do such annoying/stupid things. Sure it moves the plot along but it totally ruins the plausibility of the story.

In this one, the flashbacks are mixed in with real-time events so seamlessly that you get whiplash trying to keep things straight. Everyone is lyi
John P
Dec 08, 2016 John P rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read Lisa Unger’s novels somewhat in reverse order and have just completed her 2010 Die for You. I like her style of either flashing back and forward, or flashing from the viewpoint of one character to third person, which flashes seem to occur more rapidly when she wants to increase tension.

She is very quotable, almost poetic, at times. In this novel, she compares the viewpoint of a photographer (Linda) with the view point of a novelist (Isabel):

“For Linda, it wasn’t about the story behin
Amy Meyer
Sep 25, 2010 Amy Meyer rated it liked it
Publisher: Isabel Raine thought she had everything. A successful career, a supportive family, and a happy marriage to the man she loved. Then one ordinary morning, her husband, Marcus, picked up his briefcase, kissed her goodbye, and simply vanished.

That day all her calls went straight to voicemail; the messages she left at his office went unreturned too. Panicking after finally receiving a call from his cell phone in which all she could hear was a man’s terrified cry, Isabel called the police.
Anita
Dec 04, 2016 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this mystery/thriller and couldn't put it down. The ultimate husband betrayal, followed by a wife who wouldn't stop until she had the answers she wanted made for a great read. Highly recommended 4.9/5 stars for me.
Cindy
Dec 09, 2016 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting as a reader to see the process that goes into creating a book - how every day life is a way to find the descriptors and nuances in ordinary life. Many different stories all woven together and ties together at the end.
Play Book Tag: Die for You by Lisa Unger 3 stars 1 6 May 13, 2016 04:55PM
  • Smoke (Lydia Strong, #4)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • Straight Flushed (A Hot Pursuit Novel, #1)
  • Zero Sum, Entire Trilogy Bundle
  • A Crack in Everything (A Susan Callisto Mystery, #1)
  • Boneyard (Kelly Jones Mysteries, #2)
  • Remembering Sarah
  • Land of the Living
  • Zwarte Piste
  • Mad River Road
  • The Warrior (Warriors, #1)
  • Dead Before Dark
  • The Neighbor (Detective D.D. Warren, #3)
  • After the Fall
  • The Perfect Couple (The Last Stand, #4)
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • The Last Victim
  • The Dollmaker
Lisa Unger is the New York Times and internationally bestselling, award-winning author of fifteen novels, including THE RED HUNTER (April 2017) and INK AND BONE (2016 Goodreads Choice Award Finalist.)

Her books are published in twenty-six languages worldwide, have sold millions of copies and have been named “Best of the Year” or top picks by the Today show, Good Morning America, Entertainment Week
More about Lisa Unger...

“Love accepts. Forgiveness comes in time.” 20 likes
“It was a strange lightness, a drifting feeling. Zero gravity. I understood that everything that once seemed solid and immovable might just float away. And that this was a truth of life, not an illusion in the grieving mind of a child. Everything that is hard and heavy in your world is made up of billions of molecules in constant motion offering the illusion of permanence. But it all tends toward breaking down and falling away. Some things just go more quickly, more surprisingly, than others.” 8 likes