Start by marking “Killer Diller” as Want to Read:
Killer Diller

Killer Diller

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  590 ratings  ·  31 reviews
"Wonderful...Clyde Edgerton tells us another of his lovely tall tales."

LOS ANGELES TIMES BOOK REVIEW

Listre, North Carolina, is jumping. The Sears twins, Ted and Ned, who run a Baptist college, have opened Nutrition House for overweight Christians. Meanwhile their Project Promise is busy matching the educationally disadvantaged with wayward youth who want to share their tal
Published October 14th 1996 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Killer Diller, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Killer Diller

Jeff
This story was based on my alma mater. Classic stuff if you know the University.
Sally Moore
What I love about Edgerton's writing is his ability to describe what his characters are thinking in the littlest ways. His characters are real. They are trying to do the best they can. The humor comes from the realistic collision between the character and his world. Walking Across Egypt is still my favorite of his books. I did not pick up on this being a sequel like other reviewers have mentioned. This is a nice, light read which I enjoyed.
Heather
I was really looking forward to seeing what happened to the characters from Walking Across Egypt. However, this book ended up seeming just a bit too strange. I have mixed feelings about this one!

PG-13
Richard
My first exposure to Clyde Edgerton and I'll definitely be back for more. Set at around a Baptist College in Summerlin, NC, this small but darkly hilarious book tells the story of a young man trying to do the right thing in life and the interesting cast of friends he surrounds himself with. Edgerton a NC native captures the area perfectly in all it's goodness and badness.I honestly can't say too much more without spoiling the story but it is an enjoyable and page turning read.
David Ward
Killer Diller by Clyde Egerton (Ballantine 1981) (Fiction – Mystery). This is set in the small fictional town of Lister, North Carolina. The brothers who run the Baptist College have just opened a Christian weight loss center called “Redemption House” before the business plan was so rudely interrupted. My rating: 7/10, finished 1984.
Kimberly
I usually really like this author's books. This one was a little different. I couldn't get into the plot and the characters were too simplistic and one dimensional. Previous books included some humor, especially with some of his older characters. There is an older character in this book, but she did not play a very big part in the plot.
Angela
Jun 04, 2009 Angela rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Edgerton fans.
Recommended to Angela by: Nobody...just read some of Edgertons reviews.
Shelves: novel
I enjoyed this book up until the end. It was an enduring, funny story with previous characters "Grandma" & Wesley returning. However I was disappointed with the ending. I found it left me with many unanswered questions. It just felt incomplete. Kind of like Edgerton forgot to write an ending. Just no closure.
Pamoriley
A fun, light read, written by an excellent storyteller. A good book to read if you need to smile. I felt like I was sitting with my Grandpa, listening to him spin a yarn. Edgerton did a great job of creating fun characters without making fun of them. Well, without making fun of the good ones.
Karen
Not as good as "Walking Across Egypt" but it was good to find out what happened to Wesley Benton and Miss Maddie. Edgerton sure has a knack for writing physical comedy--I was laughing at the scene of 80+ yr old Miss Maddie swinging on the screen door to her porch in her bare feet.
Lauren
This book is not really a sequel, but it continues the story of two of the characters from Clyde Edgerton's earlier Walking Across Egypt, which I loved. If you like Southern fiction, read these books. His characters are so real and funny. I laughed out loud a lot in both books.
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Killer Diller is a charming story about juvenile delinquents who receive acclaim through the band they create. What I liked about the story is the acceptance of their piano player who’s an autistic savant. It was nice reading a story about teens with a heart.
Chris
Titus Burley
The first book by Edgerton that I read and one that absolutely hooked me on his writing style. He laughs with but not at the absurdities of southern living.
Jack Kooyman
I just could not get in to this one. I tried and hung in there for awhile, but finally gave up. Maybe I should try again now that it's been a few years
Sandie
Apr 16, 2014 Sandie marked it as to-read
Just getting into this book and trying this writer out for the first time. It has not been hysterical so far but its not bad either.
Carol
This is a sequel to Walking Across Egypt. I found this one to be one of the funniest books I've read in a long time. A very quick read.
bookczuk
Not my favorite Clyde Edgerton, but it'll do. He does have a knack for getting a certain segment of society down just right.
Megan
Jul 24, 2011 Megan added it
Familiar voice from Walking Across Egypt, but not quite as enjoyable...
Natasha
I believe this was the sequal to Walking Across Egypt. Another fun read.
Deborah Humphreys
This sequel to "Walking Across Egypt" is heart warming and funny.
Michelle
interesting viewpoints for discussion, but weird ending
Bayneeta
Sequel to Walking Across Egypt . Not as good. ...more
Ron Louthan
Not bad, especially if you like to make fun of Christians.
Deanndra Hall
The follow-up to Walking Across Egypt, and just as good!
Jenalyn C
Sequel to Walking Across Egypt but not as good.
Debbie Maskus
Read for Evening Edition Book Club 11/2004
Senecacat
A good sequal to Walking Across Egypt.
David
Good follow-up to Walking Across Egypt
Nancy
nitty gritty Southern story
Pam
This was a terrible sequel!
  • Cakewalk
  • This Rock
  • Ellington Boulevard: A Novel in A-Flat
  • Dreaming Water
  • Still Water Saints
Clyde Edgerton is widely considered one of the premier novelists working in the Southern tradition today, often compared with such masters as Eudora Welty and Flannery O'Connor.

Although most of his books deal with adult concerns--marriage, aging, birth and death--Edgerton's work is most profoundly about family. In books such as Raney, Walking Across Egypt, The Floatplane Notebooks, and Killer Dill
More about Clyde Edgerton...
Walking Across Egypt Raney The Bible Salesman The Floatplane Notebooks Lunch at the Piccadilly