Start by marking “Daily Life in Chaucer's England (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series)” as Want to Read:

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  10 reviews
The medieval world comes alive in this indispensable hands-on resource to life as it was actually lived--with authentic recipes, clothing patterns, songs, dances, and games. The first book on medieval England to arise out of the living history movement, it recreates the daily life of ordinary people, not just the aristocracy, by combining a hands-on approach with the best ...more
Published October 30th 1995 by Greenwood Press

To ask other readers questions about Daily Life in Chaucer's England, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daily Life in Chaucer's England

Felisa Rosa
For the record, when I picked this book up at the library I didn't realize that it is specifically geared toward historical reenactors, aka those dorks from the SCA. I guess it's a testament to my own dorkiness that I didn't put it down when I made that discovery, and, in fact, that I read the entire book in just a few days. This is a great cultural history of life in England in the middle ages. It's informative and well documented without being dry. But no, in case you are wondering, you will n ...more
I picked this up thinking it was just another daily life book like others I've read of similar titles. It is, however, more of a guide geared toward those who participate in re-enactments and such. It certainly does its job, providing clothing patterns, recipes, rules for games of the day, lyrics to songs, and much more. Interesting, even to those who are not into living history.
Ray
The book is a very good first kind of reference to not only the 14th century of merry old England, but is similarly a good reference to the beginning medieval recreational person, whither for just fun or something of a more serious side. Bonus for me, a happy accident that I read Will McLean's blog, who is on the book listed as an 'and' author, though for some reason left off here.
Marisa
I just picked up this book and it is just fabulous! Talk about wonderful useless facts! It has the Lord's prayer and the Apostles Creed in Chaucerian English and Latin. It has all coin values w/ the modern equivalents. Food and clothing and all Chaucerian household goods w/ their sample prices and daily wages.Everything! This is one awesome book!
Lauren Albert
This was a very good introduction to daily life--warning, though--parts of it are aimed at reenactors (clothing patterns, recipes). I found this tedious and rather wished--at least in the clothing section--that I'd just been provided with basic sketches of what the clothing looked like worn instead of sketches of pieces of fabric.
Charlotte
When I told my boyfriend I was reading a book about medieval England, he said "sounds boring." But he was wrong. This book was really incredibly interesting to me. It was written in an understandable way, but wasn't so dumbed-down that it was irritating, and I very much liked the fact that it had actual recipes, clothing patterns, etc.
Damona
I picked up this book at the library when I was about 13, and I absolutely loved it. I read it several times and absorbed a lot of interesting tidbits. I'm so glad that I saw it one here because I could never remember what it was called!
Elise
As I browsed the library shelves, I picked it up. I also read it in a few days and enjoyed it very much. It is filled with fun and useless details for those of us who like this kind of stuff.
Seligne
Written largely for living history buffs, this is an excellent intro. Contains clothing patterns and medieval recipes for those interested in recreations.
Tamara Leigh
Great refresher book on the middle ages--very readable and inspiring. Puts me in the mind to plot through my next project.
Nicoleta Fedorca
Nicoleta Fedorca marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Ferine
Ferine marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2015
Kali
Kali is currently reading it
May 18, 2015
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
Mahena
Mahena marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Jbondandrews
Jbondandrews marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Khadiga Adel
Khadiga Adel marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Serena
Serena marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Lara De Gabriele
Lara De Gabriele marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Cole
Cole marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series (1 - 10 of 36 books)
  • Daily Life in the Age of Sail
  • Daily Life During the French Revolution
  • Daily Life in Traditional China: The Tang Dynasty
  • Daily Life in Civil War America
  • Daily Life in Colonial New England
  • Cooking in Europe, 1250-1650 (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series) (The Greenwood Press Daily Life Through History Series)
  • Daily Life in Medieval Europe
  • Daily Life in the United States, 1920-1939: Decades of Promise and Pain
  • Daily Life in Stuart England
  • Daily Life in Elizabethan England
Daily Life in Elizabethan England Daily Life in Medieval Europe The Medieval Tales: From Cottages to Castles, Everyday Life in the Middle Ages Robin Hood: The Shaping of the Legend (Contributions to the Study of World Literature) Robin Hood: The Shaping of the Legend