Start by marking “Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1

Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1 (隠の王 / Nabari No Ou #1)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  5,009 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Apathetic schoolboy Miharu Rokujou is content to meander through life in the sleepy village of Banten. But his quiet existence is shattered when the Grey Wolves of Iga, a powerful ninja clan, attempt to kidnap him in broad daylight. Only then does Miharu discover that the ultimate power of the hidden ninja realm — a power that can do both great good and great harm — is sea ...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Yen Press (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nabari No Ou, Vol. 1

Dawn of the Arcana, Vol. 01 by Rei TōmaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoBleach, Vol. 1 by Tite KuboSkip Beat!, Vol. 02 by Yoshiki Nakamura
Manga read in 2012
24th out of 149 books — 31 voters
Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri HinoKuroshitsuji - Black Butler by Yana Toboso
Best Mangas
111th out of 312 books — 119 voters

More lists with this book...

Martine
Apr 09, 2013 Martine rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who have no problem with having their souls crushed and hearts wrenched
Recommended to Martine by: someone who lives in horrible-person-land
Shelves: mangas
Aside from the fact that it's about modern day ninjas (heck yeah ninjas!), there is nothing so far that I find particularly thrilling or annoying, but it's supposed to get more interesting, so I keep reading.

Apparently it's a bit similar to Naruto and though I never really saw nor read that, I can point down some of the similarities.

So for anyone who is unsure wether or not to start with these series, I'll just leave the words of the person who recommended it to me here:

"It’s very different from
Chibineko
I'm always skeptical of manga such as this. Much like the other reviewer, I'm not that much of a fan of ninja. They're just too overdone in today's manga. Everywhere you turn, there's some new manga or anime coming out with the same 2-3 plotlines. But I decided to give this manga a try because I figured that it would be wrong to typecast this series.

The plotline follows Miharu, a somewhat normal but apathetic teen who just wants to inherit the family okonomiyaki business in peace. Unfortunately
Adriana
The story is about Miharu, an "apathetic" teenager, and the ups and downs that his life has suffered because the Shinra Banshou, the supreme ninja technique able to control the world of Nabari (Ninja world) and to fulfill its owner’s inner wishes. The Shinra Banshou has activated once again after the “incident” 10 years ago when everyone forget about what happened the day the Shinra Banshou got activated, and so the 5 ninja clans are fiercely fighting to achieve it, but Miharu, the current owner ...more
Kazeshini
This novel is about Modern day Ninjas.

Rokujo Miharu is a boy that live a carefree live and do not care about anything the story starts when Aizawa Koichi Miharu's classmate pesters him to join the Nindo Club in his school. Later in the night Miharu was attacked by a Ninja.Later Aizawa and miharu's english teacher Komohira Thobari who were also actually ninjas saved Miharu and defeated the ninja.Miharu learns that he was not an ordinary person as he poseses a secret art "shinra banshou" in him wh
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Unbeknownst to him, junior high student Mirhaur Rokujou, who is content to live without a care in the world, possesses the power inside him to control the entire world--an art know as Shinra Banshou...

My Thoughts:

I've had this volume in my manga to be read pile for a few years now. I decided to read it because back when I still had the Funi channel, I saw a few episodes of it and wanted to see how the two would compare.

This first volume pretty much gets into the action right away. We fi
Timothy
Sort of like a Bleach meets Naruto....
Sophie
I read the first volume of this series as a fan translation earlier and found it intriguing enough to order the real thing. I enjoyed it even more the second time around, and yes, apparently I'm all about ninja and samurai these days (HOW DID THAT HAPPEN), but in any case, this is a fun and promising series. The protagonist is a rather apathetic character who for some reason or other carries the ultimate power of the ninja world inside his body and finds himself involved with a ninja power strug ...more
Nicole
Can't go wrong with a good ninja story :) This volume introduces readers to Miharu Rokujou - a 14-yr old with an 'over the top' level of indifference/apathy to everything (though is it genuine, or forced, as a way to protect himself and others?). The school's shinobi teacher is trying desperately to get Rokujou to join his club...as a way to teach him the old ways of being a ninja so he can protect himself from "things to come." As the teacher knows, and as we (and Rokujou) quickly learn, Rokujo ...more
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Cliffhanger ending that makes you want to read the next volume. The main characters all have their secrets. Especially their teacher. There action scenes and some funny scenes. Shimuzu's a cool character. Going to read more from this series.
Reading this manga was like pulling teeth. First of all, there is nothing new under the sun with the whole "You have a magical secret power inside you". It strikes as a bit of a Naruto knockoff, especially once he is surrounded by friends with fighting skills and an exceptionally devoted teacher. But the problem with this book really is the main character.

The whole point is that the main character doesn't care. I mean, really is apathetic. Not apathetic and funny or apathetic but brave when he
Sophie Noel
1.5
Ridiculous and stupid, but I was entertained. (I don't think I was supposed laugh so much, but whatever XD)
I didn't like it, but hard-core manga fans may enjoy it!
Lissibith
I have absolutely no idea why this manga grabbed me, but it really did. I found the characters a bit predictable and filling some stereotypical roles, but I also found that I liked them anyway, that the stakes were immediate and high, and that, most importantly, I want to know more about what's going on. Maybe not about the ninja societies and all, but that's really just the background. I want to know about what's going to happen with these characters - what they plan on doing next, how the majo ...more
Mary Ellen
It was nice. A little hard to understand, but nice. A good introduction to the genre.
Kate
This series has a couple of things going for it: it's recommended by someone who shares similar tastes to mine and it's published by Yen Press, a company that does good work on translation and packaging. The selling point in the synopsis so far is that the story is about modern ninjas. And, while that's nice and all, the protagonist is aptly described as apathetic, and it's getting old fast. I prefer my characters to have a little more kick in them, but at only one volume in, it's early still. I ...more
Angela
First of all, IM SO GLAD that this manga was finally printed in the US. I have already read the manga online with translated pages but as soon as this came out, I just HAD to get it. Nabari no Ou is very boring at first. It seems like a pointless plot but after a while, it gets very exciting and sad. As Miharu, the main character, forms a bond with Yoite, and Yoite's death is very very melacholy and reflected against the whole book.
I love this series and I cant wait till the next volumes come ou
Jami Lowe
hilarious! whole series was awesome!
Corley
It's been so long since I first read this volume that I'd forgotten just how much I actually like it. The art's a bit...meh for the first several volumes, but as the story progresses, I find myself slowly falling in love with Kamatani's style as it develops. There's comedy and, though not much in this volume, heart, and the plot eventually takes on a life of its own, so much so that I enjoyed this more the second time around.

First Read: 9/20/10
Second Time Reading: 1/2/14
Joy
Very generic shonen series about a modern day school boy who learns his body holds all the secrets of the hidden ninja world, which not surprisingly makes him an object of interest to many, many people. This sort of humdrum setup could only be redeemed by really strong characterization, and unfortunately there's no hint of this so far; the protagonist is mostly a blank, and the side characters are fairly run-of-the-mill. This isn't bad so much as it is just boring.
Logan
Jun 20, 2011 Logan rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Nabari No Ou is about a boy named Rokujou,who apparently has the "shinra banshou" inside of him.This is a powerful art that all shinobi desire.That's all I'm going to say about the plot,cause I don't wanna give much else away.

It was a pretty good 1st volume,but it reminds me a little to much of Naruto.And I'm a huge Narutard so that's why this only gets 3 of 5.Haha
Mog
Anyone who compares this series to Naruto is just being silly. The characters are far more charming, the plot far more interesting and to top it off it has platonically gay ninjas. How can you possibly beat that?

And by the way, this comes from a FAN of Naruto, so don't think I'm badmouthing Naruto here either.
Matea Trevino
This is for the overall series.

This is a well done series. Yes it is about modern ninjas so there is a lot of fighting in it. It also has a lot of feelings and an abstract story line. Overall, it's fantastic and a good read.
Beckiezra
I saw the anime and was thrilled to find out there's a manga version. As far as my memory goes they seem to be extremely similar. I love Tobari-sensei and that's enough reason to love this series.
Kristine Pratt
Ah...the fate on the world rests on someone who...doesn't care.

I've seen the plot before, but the devilish streak keeps it fresh and fun. Good story. I look forward to the next volume.
Melissa
Miharu has the Shinra Banshou inside him, one of the most powerful secret art, now that is known that is in him Ninja clans want to have control of it. Miharu must become a real ninja.
Kathryn
...the anime was so cheesy...

BUT I STILL LOVED IT BECAUSE OF THE FIRST HALF.
AND THE MANGA IS SUPERB COMPARED TO ITS TV COUNTERPART.

*sobsquietly*

Raphael Vincent
Not as good as Naruto, the art I mean, but it's hard to find a urban ninja story set in modernity these days so I guess this'll do.
Hanna
Oh how this series grows on you. The relationship of the main character with an unexpected other one is so damn captivating. Love it!
Sophia
Read half of this a while ago so I don't really remember it that well, but it seems to have a lot of potential. On to volume 2!
Victoria Mata
Jun 20, 2013 Victoria Mata marked it as to-read
Other than being predictable and having a similar story line to Naruto it's an okay book to read for an hour if you're bored.
Miharu Rokujou
nabari no ou is probably the best manga i've evre read, in my opinion i mean. <3 love it. so sweet and so sad :(
  • 07-Ghost, Volume 01
  • Dogs: Prelude, Volume 0
  • tactics, Volume 1
  • Saiyuki, Vol. 1
  • Loveless, Volume 6
  • Seven Days: Monday → Thursday (Seven Days, #1)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 1
  • Kieli, Vol. 1
  • Kekkaishi, Vol. 16 (Kekkaishi, #16)
  • Pandora Hearts, Vol. 02
  • Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, Vol. 1 (Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion, #1)

Associated names :
KAMATANI Yuki;
KAMATANI Yuuki;

Name (in native language) :
鎌谷悠希

Zodiac : Cancer

Loves dogs.

Favorite manga : Naruto & Ninja Scroll.
More about Yuhki Kamatani...

隠の王 / Nabari No Ou (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 2 (Nabari No Ou, #2)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 3 (Nabari No Ou, #3)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 4 (Nabari No Ou, #4)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 5 (Nabari No Ou, #5)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 6 (Nabari No Ou, #6)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 7 (Nabari No Ou, #7)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 8 (Nabari No Ou, #8)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 9 (Nabari No Ou, #9)
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 10
  • Nabari No Ou, Vol. 11
Nabari No Ou, Vol. 2 (Nabari No Ou, #2) Nabari No Ou, Vol. 3 (Nabari No Ou, #3) Nabari No Ou, Vol. 4 (Nabari No Ou, #4) Nabari No Ou, Vol. 5 (Nabari No Ou, #5) Nabari No Ou, Vol. 6 (Nabari No Ou, #6)