Start by marking “River Thunder” as Want to Read:
River Thunder

River Thunder (River #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  343 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Jessie, Troy, and the rest of the crew from Downriver have returned to the Grand Canyon for adventure down the Colorado River. In the year since they last were together, each has changed; each feels more mature. But how will they interact now that they are facing new challenges--challenges greater than anything they've had to deal with at home?

For Troy, it is a chance to p
Published February 9th 1999 by Laurel Leaf (first published August 11th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about River Thunder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about River Thunder

Alantie
I found out about this book somehow- I always liked the first book Downriver and had no idea that there was a sequel. I knew it probably wasn't the greatest idea considering it would probably smash my nostalgia and do things I didn't want it to, but I picked it up to read anyway.

Suffice to say I expected this book to tie up some of the loose ends from the first- namely what became of Troy, the unresolved issues between him and the rest of the gang, and to see something more develop between Jessi
Holly Wagner
The crew from Downriver returns to the Grand Canyon as interns with hopes of completing the Grand Canyon trip through the big rapids; Granite, Hermit, Crystal, Lava Falls in their own rafts. The flood level waters have different plans for our intrepid teens. How will the unlikely group find strength in each other to survive?

Hobbs, W. (1997). River thunder. New York, NY: Delacorte Press.
Awards: Young Adult Choices, International Reading Association (IRA), Junior Library Guild Selection
Books for
Bennett

For Troy, it is a chance to prove he can be a team player, someone worthy of friendship and love. For Jessie, the river is the ultimate test. Does she hav
Don Gubler
Will Hobbs does a pretty good river book. It is just too hard to match 30,000 miles of stories that I have lived.
Tem12659
Jessie and the rest of the crew see Troy from the last trip. They don't like Troy already. He invites them to a cafe where he admits that Adam isn't coming, and he wrote the letters to everyone. Jessie was furious, as with the rest of her friends. Even though they were angry; they agreed to ateend the rafting trip. The next day everyone is gearing up, and getting in their rafts. I like this book; its exciting. Thers always something going on. For example they're getting ready to raft the Colorad ...more
Kevin
Good book for middle school studnets
Susan Emmet
Read this YAL book as part of sub job teaching.
Liked it!
Follow-up to Downriver.
Tracks the "crew" of an Outward Bound-like program as they are summoned, supposedly by their former leader Al, but really by Troy, who has hoodwinked all of them.
They course through the CO River/Grand Canyon, hitting hard water all the time, and discovering alot about themselves - and Troy.
Supposedly based on actual trips Hobbs and his wife did.
Full of realistic detail and enough drama to appeal to younger readers.
Bekah
Great sequel to Downriver! There are not that many adventure novels with female leads that aren't in the fantasy genre- but this and Downriver are great ones! The one issue I had with this one is that there are some technological references that really date the book- which is too bad b/c I was actually thinking that this book was "timeless" until I got to one chapter with these references- ugh. Oh well- it is still a great read if you like adventures. :)
Ben Oliver
I thought this book was not very good. I didn't like it because it didn't have enough action in the beginning to catch my attention. Later in the book more action comes like when Jessie fell out of the boat and almost drowns. Jessie does not like this one guy from the past year of rafting. His name was Troy. That is what I think of this book
Eireanne
On the suggested summer reading list for students. Started to read it and realized it was a sequel, so I had to find the first book and read that first to be able to understand what they were talking about. Would have been missing something had I not read that first book, which isn't always the case with sequels.
Toni
I remember reading " River Thunder " by Will Hobbs about a year ago or something, but it was actually pretty good. There's lots of adventure, twists, and more that makes you to want to keep reading it.
Stephanie Belyeu
5 star rating was in part because I loved the adventure of the river and the feeling of being there. I also realize Hobbs wrote of struggling with a controlling person pretty darn well.
Jeff Herman
Because this author has first hand experience rafting the Colorado River the book was very entertaining and provided an insight to the thrill that a river can dish out.
Elizabeth
Jun 12, 2008 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!!!!!!!!
its a good book adn i like it
it has adventure, romance and freindship in it
i read it traveling and was a life saver
Elaine
An adventurous read of a group of friends white water rafting the Grand Canyon. A bit repetitious in part.
Elizabeth
Another middle school read that I remember enjoying.
Krysta
The sequel to Downriver. Very cool also.
Justin M
Genre- Realistic Fiction

Quarter 2
1Cameron
it was a pretty good book
Greta
Not as good as the first one.
Cws
JAR5-Hob
Rose
Jun 09, 2008 Rose added it
Shelves: adult-fiction
JF Hob
Jayson
Jayson marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Sophie
Sophie is currently reading it
Mar 15, 2015
Ari Tourlitis
Ari Tourlitis marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
  • James and the Giant Peach: a Play
  • Windcatcher
  • Rewind (Watchers, #2)
  • Violet's Amazing Summer (A Life of Faith: Violet Travilla #2)
  • Karen's Wish (Baby-Sitters Little Sister Super Special, #1)
  • A 6th Bowl of Chicken Soup for the Soul
  • The Islander
  • Handbook for Boys
  • Wellspring of Magic (Creative Girls Club Adventure, #1)
  • Great-Grandpa's in the Litter Box (The Zack Files #1)
  • Shark Life: True Stories About Sharks & the Sea
  • Don't Scream
  • 68 Knots
  • Confessions of a Closet Catholic
  • The Picture Bible
  • Wild Life
  • The Golly Sisters Go West
  • No Turning Back: A Novel of South Africa
WILL HOBBS is the author of seventeen novels for upper elementary, middle school and young adult readers, as well as two picture book stories. Seven of his novels, Bearstone, Downriver, The Big Wander, Beardance, Far North, The Maze, and Jason's Gold, were named Best Books for Young Adults by the American Library Association. ALA also named Far North and Downriver to their list of the 100 Best You ...more
More about Will Hobbs...