Angels and Other Strangers: Family Christmas Stories

Angels and Other Strangers: Family Christmas Stories

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  80 ratings  ·  17 reviews
With this collection, the author creates nine insightful stories that stir the emotions while reflecting the joy of the season. These tales celebrate (Christmas) through the loneliness, fears, hopes, and simple beliefs of men, women, and children.--ALA Booklist.
Published September 7th 1988 by HarperCollins (first published November 1st 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Angels and Other Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angels and Other Strangers

How the Grinch Stole Christmas! by Dr. SeussA Christmas Carol by Charles DickensThe Night Before Christmas by Clement C. MooreThe Polar Express by Chris Van AllsburgThe Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Favorite Christmas Books
146th out of 622 books — 807 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingThe Giver by Lois LowryThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHoles by Louis SacharThe Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan
Top 100 Middle School Must-Reads
385th out of 760 books — 1,783 voters

More lists with this book...

Jan
It's been several years since we read this and since it was one of our favorite Christmas books, I think it's time for us to re-read it.
I really enjoyed the stories for what they are, short stories. However, I am a gal who likes series of books to really get to know a character, so a story that starts and ends in a few pages is a bit of a stretch for me. However, I thought the characters were engaging and I was left wanting more, which I suppose is a good thing. I like that these stories of Christmas were about people looking for, living like and actually aware of God. That was encouraging to me.
Brian
This is book I read during the Christmas holidays every 2 years or so. I enjoy the first story Angels & Other Strangers the most. Some readers will see them as as dated such as the references to the Biafran famine (Tidings of Joy). All the stories provide a sense of hope in the midst of very human failings and suffering. The first Christmas began with the poor and simple. These stories remind us that He has a "preferential option for the poor."
Aban (Aby)
Katherine Paterson is a writer of children's fiction and all her books are outstanding. This is a book of short Christmas stories, which is suitable for all ages and, over the years, I have read and reread these heartwarming stories which write of loss, heart-ache, love and (above all) hope. I have been ill this holiday period and what could be better than to curl up with this delightful book? I would HIGHLY recommend it!
Elle
Jan 01, 2009 Elle rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who are looking out for Christmas stories
Recommended to Elle by: my mother who bought it for christmas
I enjoyed these stories. They are darker than other Christmas stories, but nearly all the characters find hope in the end, which is inspiring. They do get a little old after a while (I've read her other collection, too), but it's understandable since she wrote a story every year for around twenty years. These were almost the very first stories she ever wrote.
Erin
This is an old favorite. It is a collection of short stories that all center around Christmas. Perhaps the most famous is "Maggie's Gift" about an old man that takes in two foster children because he doesn't want to be alone for Christmas.

On a side note, Katherine Paterson is the same person who wrote "Bridge to Terabithia."
Liz
Maggie's Gift is included in this wonderful collection of Christmas stories. It is a winner for a family read. An defiant orphan and her little brother, a widower on a pension, a church service and an unexpected outcome come together to reinforce the real meaning of Christmas.
Tricia
I'm not very critical when it comes to books. I like most of what I read. But this book of short Christmas stories was bizarre. The stories were more dark and depressing than uplifting. Good thing it was short, because it was a waste of time.
Nina
Read this as an early teen, and was surprised how many passages still seemed fresh in my memory. This book has religious themes (the stories started as sermons) but they aren't heavy-handed for the most part. Very touching, and a moving read for the season.
Mary
Dec 20, 2008 Mary rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya
A collection of what are supposed to be inspirational Christmas stories, but turn out to be overly sentimental or mawkishly sappy. Apparently it really is difficult to write a good Christmas story. Dickens, here I come.
Barb
Katherine Paterson explores the ramifications of the birth of Christ in this small volume of short stories about Christmas. Her characters are drawn from real life, but her approach is a bit sentimental.
Suzi
Katherine Paterson is one of my favorite authors. This collection of Christmas stories is a gem. I've been thinking it's time to re-read it.
Pam
I've read this book every Christmas for many years. In fact, my copy is copyrighted 1972. It gets me in the mood every year.
Sandra
Timeless stories for the Christmas season -- you just can't beat Paterson for stories of faith for all ages.
Kim
Another heart-warming set of Christmas tales.
Vick
the title story is absolutely wonderful
Catherine
Re-reading this old Christmas favorite
Em
Em added it
Aug 05, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Sgrefe
Sgrefe marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Sophia Koehn
Sophia Koehn marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2014
Mariel
Mariel marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
1949
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted t...more
More about Katherine Paterson...
Bridge to Terabithia Jacob Have I Loved The Great Gilly Hopkins Lyddie The Master Puppeteer