Start by marking “Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story

Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Claude gives away all his Christmas presents to his down-and-out friend, Bummer, but receives an even better present from his young master.
Published March 19th 1984 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published December 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Claude the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claude the Dog

Donald White
I wish this was still in print. See if you can find it in your local library or used book store. Claude the Dog teaches generosity and awareness of those who have far less. Claude is NOT content to merely feel sorry for others, but puts his feelings into ACTION, and does so sacrificially. Another BIG favorite in our home, no matter how many years have passed since we first started reading it. The illustrations are simple, but wonderfully done, effectively evoking the intended emotions of the sto ...more
Vivian
My first introduction to this story was at a family gathering. My sister gave her small children props to dramatize the story. I found a very tattered copy at a library booksale and snatched it up. I like to use this story every year to the pre-school crowd. This year I used two plush dogs, and fabric ball, a small blanket, and a pillow.

Children respond very well to story telling (especially if there are props). This adds needed variety to a story time. It is okay to read the story through to t
Asho
Although it's not yet Thanksgiving, I had to break my own self-imposed "No Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving" rule when I saw this book on display at the library. A Christmas book featuring a basset hound! What could be better?! It's a short, sweet story about a basset hound with a loving home who gives his three gifts to a homeless dog who happens by. It's a good lesson about the spirit of Christmas, and I love the adorable basset hound who is perfectly basset-y in every drawing. The drawings ...more
Lauren Sanger
This book was very inspiring. I read this in my Spanish class and it was really good.
Heather Wilkinson
Favorite childhood book
Jenn
Earlier reader with a great message of sharing with the poor.
Megan
I read this one to my class and HAD TO TRY REALLY HARD NOT TO CRY WHILE DOING SO! Which I failed to do so I then gave a long boring lecture on why I was crying. Not my best teaching moment. Still, this a great book.
Claudia
My favorite book of all time is a Christmas story of a dog giving his clothes to someone else who needed it. It shows how the season is about giving more than receiving! The students can write about ways they can give and maybe as a class, donate goods to other children who will need food or blankets for this winter! It is small and cute, but great to have for a class!
Amanda
Even though it's after Christmas, this one had such a nice story about giving that I had to get it out. I'm not sure how old it is, so the illustrations are either retro or of their time, either way, I thought they fit well with the simple story of how it's better to give than to receive and that sometimes what we get isn't any better than what we've got already.
Heidi
This is a classic Christmas story - tradition for our family. It is about a dog named Claude that shares all of his new Christmas gifts with his lonely, homeless friend named "Bummer". He knows that his best gifts are his family. Too cute!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I adore this book from my childhood. It is a simple, sweet story about giving and choosing kind during the holidays. I am so happy that my friend Margie gave me this book. She is just like Claude!
Sydney McClure
This would be great on teaching good behavior. It's about about friendship and sharing. It's a sweet book, too. It will show students it's not about stuff, but about family.
Emily Rosbottom
Very short, very cute book about sharing, especially around the holidays. Excellent to use when students are getting a little restless or selfish. Cute pictures as well!
Kelsey
This is probably my all-time favorite children's book, simply because it was the first book I read all by myself. Of course, it is also a wonderful story.
Cheryl
Wonderful, heart-warming story of a dog who shares his Christmas gifts. Good read-aloud with wonderful drawings
Amber
Very good book to show that helping someone out is a gift. Very good example of sharing.
Kirei
Dec 08, 2008 Kirei rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: toddlers and preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
Claude gives his Christmas presents to a needy dog.
Vickie
Good kids book.
Deni
Deni marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Nov 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Harry and the Terrible Whatzit Mother Rabbit's Son Tom Hound and Bear: Story and Pictures Bag Full of Pups The Pig Who Saw Everything