Start by marking “Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story” as Want to Read:
Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story

Claude the Dog: A Christmas Story

4.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  88 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
Claude gives away all his Christmas presents to his down-and-out friend, Bummer, but receives an even better present from his young master.
Published March 19th 1984 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1974)

To ask other readers questions about Claude the Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claude the Dog

Donald White
Dec 09, 2014 Donald White rated it it was amazing
I wish this was still in print. See if you can find it in your local library or used book store. Claude the Dog teaches generosity and awareness of those who have far less. Claude is NOT content to merely feel sorry for others, but puts his feelings into ACTION, and does so sacrificially. Another BIG favorite in our home, no matter how many years have passed since we first started reading it. The illustrations are simple, but wonderfully done, effectively evoking the intended emotions of the sto ...more
Vivian
Dec 22, 2010 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
My first introduction to this story was at a family gathering. My sister gave her small children props to dramatize the story. I found a very tattered copy at a library booksale and snatched it up. I like to use this story every year to the pre-school crowd. This year I used two plush dogs, and fabric ball, a small blanket, and a pillow.

Children respond very well to story telling (especially if there are props). This adds needed variety to a story time. It is okay to read the story through to t
Doug Warren
Dec 21, 2015 Doug Warren rated it it was amazing
This was a sweet story. And seeing that it was published in the 70s, I am surprised that it didn't have a cancer warning considering back then they slapped it on anything with this much saccharine.
Asho
Nov 16, 2013 Asho rated it it was amazing
Although it's not yet Thanksgiving, I had to break my own self-imposed "No Christmas stuff before Thanksgiving" rule when I saw this book on display at the library. A Christmas book featuring a basset hound! What could be better?! It's a short, sweet story about a basset hound with a loving home who gives his three gifts to a homeless dog who happens by. It's a good lesson about the spirit of Christmas, and I love the adorable basset hound who is perfectly basset-y in every drawing. The drawings ...more
Lauren Sanger
Feb 11, 2014 Lauren Sanger rated it it was amazing
This book was very inspiring. I read this in my Spanish class and it was really good.
Heather
Jun 15, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Favorite childhood book
Jenn
Nov 26, 2014 Jenn rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Earlier reader with a great message of sharing with the poor.
Megan
Jan 11, 2014 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kidbooks
I read this one to my class and HAD TO TRY REALLY HARD NOT TO CRY WHILE DOING SO! Which I failed to do so I then gave a long boring lecture on why I was crying. Not my best teaching moment. Still, this a great book.
Claudia
Dec 07, 2010 Claudia rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
My favorite book of all time is a Christmas story of a dog giving his clothes to someone else who needed it. It shows how the season is about giving more than receiving! The students can write about ways they can give and maybe as a class, donate goods to other children who will need food or blankets for this winter! It is small and cute, but great to have for a class!
Amanda
Jan 18, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Even though it's after Christmas, this one had such a nice story about giving that I had to get it out. I'm not sure how old it is, so the illustrations are either retro or of their time, either way, I thought they fit well with the simple story of how it's better to give than to receive and that sometimes what we get isn't any better than what we've got already.
Heidi
Jul 19, 2008 Heidi rated it it was amazing
This is a classic Christmas story - tradition for our family. It is about a dog named Claude that shares all of his new Christmas gifts with his lonely, homeless friend named "Bummer". He knows that his best gifts are his family. Too cute!
Niki (Daydream Reader)
I adore this book from my childhood. It is a simple, sweet story about giving and choosing kind during the holidays. I am so happy that my friend Margie gave me this book. She is just like Claude!
Sydney McClure
Oct 10, 2012 Sydney McClure rated it it was amazing
This would be great on teaching good behavior. It's about about friendship and sharing. It's a sweet book, too. It will show students it's not about stuff, but about family.
Emily Rosbottom
Oct 11, 2012 Emily Rosbottom rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Very short, very cute book about sharing, especially around the holidays. Excellent to use when students are getting a little restless or selfish. Cute pictures as well!
Kelsey
Sep 11, 2008 Kelsey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
This is probably my all-time favorite children's book, simply because it was the first book I read all by myself. Of course, it is also a wonderful story.
Ruth Ann
Nov 07, 2015 Ruth Ann rated it it was amazing
At first, I thought this story was a sad since the boy gave Claude his presents and then just left him!

It's the perfect Christmas story!
Cheryl
Wonderful, heart-warming story of a dog who shares his Christmas gifts. Good read-aloud with wonderful drawings
Amber
Mar 13, 2009 Amber rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
Very good book to show that helping someone out is a gift. Very good example of sharing.
ABC
Dec 08, 2008 ABC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers and preschoolers
Shelves: younger-kids
Claude gives his Christmas presents to a needy dog.
Vickie
Sep 09, 2015 Vickie rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens, christmas
Good kids book.
Rhonda DiGiovanni
Rhonda DiGiovanni marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Chaplain2
Chaplain2 rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2016
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016
Raina
Raina marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Tracycdiaz
Tracycdiaz rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Charlie Chastain
Charlie Chastain rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2016
Erin Reilly-Sanders
Erin Reilly-Sanders rated it liked it
Dec 29, 2015
Emily Leeds
Emily Leeds rated it it was amazing
Dec 23, 2015
Yvonne Apodaca
Yvonne Apodaca rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015