Start by marking “Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting” as Want to Read:
Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting

Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting

A practical, expansive guide to natural parenting features plentiful advice and instruction on how to raise intelligent, welladjusted children the natural way. Original.
Published March 1st 2000 by Atria Books

To ask other readers questions about Natural Family Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Natural Family Living

missy jean
Oct 02, 2009 missy jean rated it really liked it
At times I wanted to give this book five stars; at times I wanted to give it two. There is a lot of great information in this book about a wide range of parenting issues (e.g., childbirth, nighttime parenting, breastfeeding, entertainment, communication, discipline, circumcision, school, etc.). And I found a lot of it very helpful. But in some of the chapters (the chapter on vaccines, for instance) I thought the information presented was extremely one-sided, bridging on irresponsible.

And this is
Feb 12, 2010 Kara rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I think it is one of the best books I have read, leaving a lasting impression with me. I recommend it not only for parents to be but for new parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, godparents, basically anyone who has children in their lives in any capacity. This book is full of resources, covers topics that may seem difficult to discuss, encourages an authentic view of the family unit and discusses the role school systems and society have in children’s lives.
On a personal note b
Dec 12, 2007 polly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: new/expectant parents
I really liked this book. I find it amusing to see it described as non-mainstream or alternative, which kind of is a sad reflection on society! (We have strayed so far from what is natural....) There's nothing radical about it: parenting naturally is, well, natural, and very commonsense. I don't agree with 'everything' in the book, but that's not unusual. My parenting style is very close to what is described here, however--nursing (not formula feeding), partially co-sleeping (when the need exist ...more
Sep 30, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was ok
The claim that Mothering Magazine and it's publications take a "we'll inform, you choose" approach to parenting is about as full of truth as Fox News' mantra "we report, you decide". I am an "attachment" parent who had both of my babies naturally, but am appalled by the preaching, scare-mongering and misleading and dangerous medical advice Mothering Mag and the natural birth/parenting crowd throw out there as "empowering". Sure - if you already believe the half cocked stuff they try to sell, or ...more
Jun 27, 2007 Lauren rated it liked it
I already share a worldview with people who read Mothering Mag, so this wasn't a conversion experience so much as a confirmation of hunches/previous knowledge/etc. It was interesting and would be a handy reference to have around.

I did think it could use more pictures (yes, I'm one of those people) and felt like the prental/pregnancy/birth section could have used a lot more detail and info. As a natural birth advocate, I know that it takes more than one chapter to help women make choices about b
Jan 08, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
I feel about this pretty much the same as I do about Mothering magazine. I am drawn to it, sympathetic to its perspective, and yet skeptical. Sometimes they just seem, well, wrong, from what I can tell -- take the section on vaccines. However, I think I'd like to have a copy of this around, because there's much information here that I just can't find other places, all together like this -- about homeopathy, home remedies, that sort of stuff. And I appreciate its support for ideas that often don' ...more
Jan 24, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was ok
I expected to like this book, but wasn't a fan. There are definitely some great sections, however the preachy tone really gets to me. And that someone would make the argument that because their second baby was fussier, that meant they were a better parent that time around (the baby apparently felt more comfortable expressing themself, or something), was one of the silliest things I've read. Overall, while I'm actually following many of the "attachment parenting" styles (cosleeping, baby wearing, ...more
Apr 05, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: parenting
I ran across this book at the library. I subscribe to Mothering magazine and have been interested in picking up one of Peggy's books. While I don't subscribe to all the philosophies, I love the overview. I particularly liked the "Alternative to punishment" section. She had a good list of ideas that I will copy and put on the fridge.
Feb 29, 2008 Gabriella is currently reading it
I'm a fan of Mothering Magazine so this book I imagine, written by the magazines editor, will not be a far departure from all the smart, interesting stuff I read in their bi-monthly mag. This is my hope.
I've been hopping around. I read the chapter on nutrition and though not super in-depth, it provides some good ideas.
Nov 10, 2008 K rated it really liked it
It's the kind of book that would be good to read if you're trying to conceive or newly pregnant - but because it's an overview of so many topics, if you have any familiarity with this parenting style, it's too general (though it has a great resources section in the back).
Jun 20, 2008 Celestia rated it really liked it
I agree with almost everything in this book. I loved learning that Attachment Parenting is actually just a restoration of how parenting used to be and still is in nondindustrialized countries. A great book to help restore AP in our detachment parenting culture.
Aug 25, 2007 Danell rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents, parents-to-be
Very insighful - it made me wonder why doctors don't tell you these kinds of things.
This was actually a text book for my infant development class and I (amazingly) enjoyed reading it - infact, I kept it because it will be such a great resource when I have children!
Jul 01, 2008 Jaimee rated it liked it
This book is full of advice on how to raise your kids in a healthy, loving, natural way. You might want to pay special attention to the vaccine section. If you like this book you might also be interested in getting a subscription to Mothering magazine.
Jun 20, 2013 Fromula rated it it was amazing
This is our bible for child rearing, along with You Are Your Child's First Teacher by Rahima Baldwin. Great info about a wide range of topics from behavior to health to food and breastfeeding. Love it!
Feb 27, 2009 Kiki rated it it was amazing
This is such a good book. I marked it as "read" but I always have it on hand as a reference.

I can't recommend this book enough!! A must-read for any parent.
Aug 07, 2007 Gea rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all parents to be
The first book I read when I was pregnant - each chapter is on something different - birth, pregnancy, food, school options - all in the realm of natural living.
Nov 06, 2012 Katharine rated it it was amazing
Really good overview of all topics for someone who is interested in natural parenting, not much that I didn't already know so better for first time parents.
Kendra Wadsworth
May 15, 2012 Kendra Wadsworth rated it it was amazing
A great book that covered a wide range of pregnancy and parenting. Enjoyed reading it cover to cover and love having it as a resource book.
Jan Zeiger
Dec 26, 2010 Jan Zeiger rated it it was amazing
Loved this book because it covered everything--natural childbirth, breastfeeding, vaccinations, circumcision, you-name-it.
Jan 22, 2009 Amron rated it it was amazing
yes yes yes! topics well covered. wonderful author. founder of Mothering Magazine---30 yr old alt family raising mag.
Apr 06, 2010 Natalie rated it really liked it
Mothering Magazine under one cover.
Jun 12, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
yay for mothering mag
May 20, 2009 Kayla rated it liked it
Wonderful book!
Laura marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2016
Christopher Maxwell
Christopher Maxwell marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2016
Kevin marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
Amanda marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Austin Lewis
Austin Lewis rated it liked it
Sep 06, 2016
  • Diaper Free: The Gentle Wisdom of Natural Infant Hygiene
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • The Natural Child: Parenting from the Heart
  • Vaccinations: A Thoughtful Parent's Guide: How to Make Safe, Sensible Decisions about the Risks, Benefits, and Alternatives
  • Good Nights: The Happy Parents' Guide to the Family Bed (and a Peaceful Night's Sleep!)
  • Connection Parenting: Parenting Through Connection Instead of Coercion, Through Love Instead of Fear
  • Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Newborn, Revised and Updated: The Complete Guide
  • Adventures in Gentle Discipline: A Parent-to-Parent Guide (La Leche League International Book)
  • Immaculate Deception II: Myth, Magic and Birth
  • The Continuum Concept: In Search Of Happiness Lost
  • You Are Your Child's First Teacher: What Parents Can Do with and for Their Children from Birth to Age Six
  • Mothering Your Nursing Toddler
  • Raising Our Children, Raising Ourselves
  • The Diaper-Free Baby: The Natural Toilet Training Alternative
  • Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature
  • Gentle Birth, Gentle Mothering: The Wisdom and Science of Gentle Choices in Pregnancy, Birth, and Parenting
Peggy O’Mara is the mother of four grown children. She has gained international celebrity as publisher, editor and owner of Mothering Magazine. She is also the author of four books: Having a Baby Naturally: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth, Natural Family Living: The Mothering Magazine Guide to Parenting, The Way Back Home: Essays on Life and Family, and A Quiet Place: Essa ...more
More about Peggy O'Mara...