Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3)

Master and Fool (Book of Words #3)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  3,430 ratings  ·  30 reviews
The Known Lands are teetering on the brink of war. Desperate to avert worldwide catastrophe, Jack, the baker's boy, must learn to harness the full strength of his magic to face his ultimate destiny--a final confrontation with the murderously evil Kylock.
Published November 1st 1996 by Aspect (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Master and Fool, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master and Fool

Evgeny
The prophesy, which was revealed practically in the beginning of the first book finally came to pass. Despite this fact it was not clear up until the middle of this book how exactly things will end: the world was too bleak and gloomy for ordinary happy end.

At this point I have to talk about the whole trilogy. The first book was really good; the series would have its place among the classic of the genre had the last two been on the same level. Unfortunately the second book was plain boring after...more
Benjamin Thomas
A terrific finale to the trilogy! When I originally picked up the first book in the set, The Baker's Boy I remember thinking this would be a bit of a risk. It appeared to be traditional fantasy, similar to so much of what was coming out in the '90s and it would require some investment of time on my part. I even referred to the title of the first book as implying this would be an 'assistant pig-keeper" sort of fantasy trilogy...more fluff than anything else. Would it be worth my time? Fortunately...more
Marit
Each installment in the Book of Words trilogy is better than the last. Jones takes stereotypical fantasy characters, a fair knight, a beautiful highborn lady, a nobody boy with earth-shaking magical powers, and turns them into real people with depth whom you grow strongly attached to. The plot is intricate but never cobweb-messy and the pace is kept up by Jones' switching to different viewpoints within chapters. The writing itself is not remarkable but more straightforward and no-nonsense. I rec...more
AMAZING!!!
I loved these books! The ending was satisfying... I was scared the author was going to put a major horrible twist with some loved character dying.. but no!
Tawl <3 im glad you got all your heart desired!
I loved how everyone in the books all came together to sort out the problems and that this book was unpredictable, well written and kept me from going to bed at 7 and reading till late into the night... the type of book I carried around with me at all times...
Im sad its over, but it w...more
Soan
3.5 stars.
I liked how Jones tied up all the loose ends, But I also felt that they tied up too neatly.
Few things made me feel like I'm watching a movie where everything comes together, just because it had to end.
That said, It was definitely a fun read and I don't mind the fact that I spent last 6 hours doing nothing but reading it.
James
Going into this book I was wondering how J.v. Jones was going to tie off so many loose ends in one book. Luckily, this did not lead to a plot line that stretched the imagination or a really quick narrative that failed to entertain. No, instead it produced an action packed book, literally teeming with adventures, fun and whatnot. A perfect ending to a perfect series.

I was tempted when I put it down to give it a five stars but then I thought a moment and decided that it was a very high four Stars...more
Michael
Well, this was an exciting end to the series. I did not like it as much as the first two for some reason. Maybe was a little to heavy on the redemption toward the end? Especially the mean, villianous trull/sadistic jailkeeper/informant to the evil overlord that somehow ends up being a loving caretaker to the kid of her prisoner. Also I had hoped the Archbishop would meet some heinous demise. There is another series from JVJ, and maybe the characters carry through. If that were the intention then...more
Riki Strydom
I was expecting better closure to the series that had this long a buildup. This was not really a classic epic fantasy in the sense that everything works out perfectly. All character just basically carry on. Characters ended as such:(view spoiler)
Kiel Van Horn
Just a few quick notes, since I read this a while ago.

Jones definitely caught her stride in this one. All the threads came together. Made me really wish that the three books were written as just one.

I still can't quite get a finger on why I feel Jones is a good author but not quite one of the greats. Maybe it's the scope of the story. She's not really going for "epic" ... seems to be just going for "fun."

Alicia
This wasn't one of my favorite fantasy series, but it was definitely worth reading.
Mike (the Paladin)
The conclusion of the trilogy. I liked it. One thing I continue to point out, looking at a synopsis you may say that this sounds like "standard fantasy". the character types will be familiar...in this volume Jack must learn to handle his "newly discovered" magical ability. Seen it before, right? but these are still fresh. the characters are their own and they are good stories. Enjoy.
Duane Simolke
Mar 31, 2010 Duane Simolke rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Terry Goodkind.
Fantasy and scifi series tend to go on too long, so I tend to just jump in during any volume of a series. In this case, I started with the final book. No worries; Jones catches the readers up and quickly plunges them into an exciting world of intrigue, betrayal, and suspense.
Myckaila Leach
This book is very interesting because it shows more than one persons point of view. I really enjoyed how all the characters' stories ended up combining. I also enjoyed the fact that even if you didn't read ever characters story you could still follow the plot.
Eric Leblanc
I was not very excited by the first two volumes of this trilogy, however Master and Fool, the last one of the trilogy, was a very good read. The entire trilogy however is in my opinion of lesser quality compared to the Sword of shadows serie.
Jenna Mills
I enjoyed this final part of the trilogy, and didn't want to put it down. I did find the odd, small thing disjointed which irritated me on occasion, and would have liked a more wrapped-up ending involving one character in particular.
Daniel Armando Huesca Garcia
I read book 1 about 13 years ago. Loved it. Never got to finish it, until today. I finally finished the last book. Great trilogy. Great characters. I'm disappointed its over, but it was a good read. I'll never forget it.
Denise
I read these years ago and remember not liking them much, but I was younger then, so I figured I'd give them another try... I still feel these are some of the most trite, stereotypical fantasy novels I've ever read.
April
Fab! Loved this series! Lovely straight forward fantasy with villians to hate, creepy kings to hate, heroes to love and old wise men to adore. Not dark, not overly unique, but a very good read all the same!
Sayhi2jeni2007
Nov 06, 2007 Sayhi2jeni2007 rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fiction/ Fantasy lovers
Rereading it again... the previous book in the series was great but very dark! I have to keep reading b/c you just can't leave such great people in such a bad place...
Dan
Brilliant conclusion to the trilogy! Only disappointment was that it had to end. One of my all time favorite series!
Caroline
A bit of a cookie cutter, stereotypical fantasy, but it was a fun and well-written enough story and I enjoyed it.
Walter Herrick
May 26, 2011 Walter Herrick marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookswappers
1st book wasn't very original at all - and I couldn't get into the story - so I'm giving it away.
Heather
Pay off was a bit obvious, but overall a good trilogy where everything is nicely wrapped up.
Jillian
Sequel to The Baker's Boy & A Man Betrayed. If you liked the other two, you'll like this.
Travis Keller

The best book of the 3 and a great finish to the trilogy. I liked it!
Karen Spruyt
Finished jv Jones first trilogy. Straightforward fantasy story. Up to the next trilogy!
Vickie Archuleta

With each book J.V. Jones writes she gets better
Lorraine Hillyard
I really enjoyed reading this trilogy. Very good
Todd
This was a fun series and worth reading!
Binky Bowberg
A solid ending to a fun trilogy.
  • The Eye of the Hunter
  • The Death of Chaos (The Saga of Recluce #5)
  • The Dragon Revenant (Deverry, #4)
  • To Green Angel Tower, Part 1 (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #3; Part 1)
  • The Tower on the Rift (The View from the Mirror, #2)
  • The Ships of Merior (Wars of Light & Shadow, #2; Arc 2 - The Ships of Merior, #1)
  • Prince of Dogs (Crown of Stars, #2)
  • Requiem for the Sun (Symphony of Ages, #4)
  • Quest for Lost Heroes (Drenai Saga, #4)
  • The One Kingdom (The Swans' War, #1)
Julie Victoria Jones was born in Liverpool, England. She has been writing for seven years, and is currently working on her sixth novel, which will be titled A Fortress of Grey Ice. She lives in San Diego, California.

All three books in The Book Of Words Trilogy are #1 national bestsellers, and have been bought for publication in England, Poland, Russia, Germany, France and Holland. Her fifth book,...more
More about J.V. Jones...
A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows, #1) The Baker's Boy (Book of Words, #1) A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2) A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2) A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)