Start by marking “The Peasant Girl's Dream” as Want to Read:
The Peasant Girl's Dream

The Peasant Girl's Dream

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  8 reviews
A humble tale of the enduring quality of love -- a man and his friend, parents and children, sister and brother, man and woman, and a simple boy and his God.
Published February 1st 1989 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The Peasant Girl's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peasant Girl's Dream

A story of two young people growing up in Scotland. The Scottish dialect is difficult to get through sometimes, and I honestly had no idea what was being said in a couple places, but for the most part, it was easy to follow. George Macdonald has a good way of teaching through story.

The way I see it, Heather and Snow represent joy and adversity in life. Both used by God to make us the people He desires. The most dynamic character is Francis, the son of a rich officer in the army. He loves Kirsty
George MacDonald books are hard books to read, thanks to the 19th century Scottish style of language in which they are written, but they are worth the effort. He tells good stories that leave one feeling so, so good. It's very clear that he was a minister, as his books always seem to highlight Biblical virtues. This book is about love. Not cheesy "omg I luuuuuuv you" love, but the "love thy neighbor" kind of love. The story is full of examples of living out this command, and of people learning h ...more
I loved this one because the main character is such a strong sensible girl. A real, brave heroine. Loved where she whips the 'laird' across the face! Don't worry, he deserved it.
While the beautiful brogue warmed my heart, the story lacked the depth that many other MacDonald masterpieces display. Simplistic, though real, the tale focuses around two families as they deal with different difficulties through different means to discover the strength that comes from knowing the Father of us all.

A few very abrupt transitions in the story leave the reader with a choppy feel, and Steenie, the "half-wit" comes off only as poetic, not mentally challenged.

Great nuggets of insight,
A simply fantastic story. This is the first book of MacDonald's I have read, at the recommendation of a friend. Many might be turned off by trying to understand the dialog which MacDonald writes as it sounds, in a heavy old Scottish dialect. But it is worth it! This, to me, is Christian fiction at its finest.
May 06, 2012 Sariah marked it as to-read
My mom wrote in it and gave this book to Eirene, and Eirene wrote in it and gave it to me for my birthday, there's one more blank page left, so we'll see what I do with it.
The copy I read was actually called The Heather and the Snow. Kirsty has so much strength of character, as well as charity and determination. Very good read.
Shannon Ture
Would like to read the original - Heather & Snow. This book is not what this publisher's new title and cover make it seem, which is juvenile.
Yazmin marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Elizabeth Propert
Elizabeth Propert marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Rachel Hersey
Rachel Hersey marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2015
Levi marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Kathy Jones
Kathy Jones is currently reading it
Sep 29, 2015
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Rachel Marie
Rachel Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Cyndi marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Ellen added it
Jul 19, 2015
Kate marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Laura Rice
Laura Rice is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2015
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • Daughter of Grace (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #2)
  • Wolves Among Us
  • Hidden Rainbow
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • Valley of the Shadow (Dakota Moons, #1)
  • Love's Pursuit
  • The Immortelles (The Creole #2)
  • The Desires of Her Heart (Texas: Star of Destiny, #1)
  • Isle of Shadows
  • The Winds of Sonoma (Regalo Grande #1)
  • Riders of the Silver Rim (Saga of the Sierras, #2)
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as W. H. Auden, J. R. R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. It was C.S. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I be
More about George MacDonald...

“Then came the reflection, how little at any time could a father do for the wellbeing of his children! The fact of their being children implied their need of an all-powerful father: must there not then be such a father? Therewith the truth dawned upon him, that first of truths, which all his church-going and Bible-reading had hitherto failed to disclose, that, for life to be a good thing and worth living, a man must be the child of a perfect father, and know him. In his terrible perturbation about his children, he lifted up his heart—not to the Governor of the world; not to the God of Abraham or Moses; not in the least to the God of the Kirk; least of all to the God of the Shorter Catechism; but to the faithful creator and Father of David Barclay. The aching soul which none but a perfect father could have created capable of deploring its own fatherly imperfection, cried out to the father of fathers on behalf of his children, and as he cried, a peace came stealing over him such as he had never before felt.” 14 likes
“But in truth there was more expression in the flower than was yet in the face. The flower expressed what God was thinking of when He made it; the face, what the girl was thinking of her self. When she ceased thinking of herself, then, like the flower, she would show what God was thinking of when he made her.” 3 likes