Start by marking “The Peasant Girl's Dream” as Want to Read:
The Peasant Girl's Dream

The Peasant Girl's Dream

A humble tale of the enduring quality of love -- a man and his friend, parents and children, sister and brother, man and woman, and a simple boy and his God.
Published February 1st 1989 by Bethany House Publishers (first published 1893)

To ask other readers questions about The Peasant Girl's Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Peasant Girl's Dream

David
May 18, 2011 David rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story of two young people growing up in Scotland. The Scottish dialect is difficult to get through sometimes, and I honestly had no idea what was being said in a couple places, but for the most part, it was easy to follow. George Macdonald has a good way of teaching through story.

The way I see it, Heather and Snow represent joy and adversity in life. Both used by God to make us the people He desires. The most dynamic character is Francis, the son of a rich officer in the army. He loves Kirsty
Jessica
Feb 21, 2011 Jessica rated it really liked it
George MacDonald books are hard books to read, thanks to the 19th century Scottish style of language in which they are written, but they are worth the effort. He tells good stories that leave one feeling so, so good. It's very clear that he was a minister, as his books always seem to highlight Biblical virtues. This book is about love. Not cheesy "omg I luuuuuuv you" love, but the "love thy neighbor" kind of love. The story is full of examples of living out this command, and of people learning h ...more
Valorie
Aug 20, 2011 Valorie rated it it was amazing
I loved this one because the main character is such a strong sensible girl. A real, brave heroine. Loved where she whips the 'laird' across the face! Don't worry, he deserved it.
Victoria
Dec 09, 2016 Victoria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I thought I would be unable to wade through the thick (and honestly, rather unnecessary) Scottish dialect, but I'm glad I stuck it out. This is a good book and I love Kirsty, and you can whisper "Mary Sue" all you like and I won't change my mind one iota. Sometimes it's just nice to have a thoroughly good main character. Oh, and Steenie...I don't know what even to say about Steenie. I have seen few serious portrayals of people with mental disabilities in books, and this one is so beauti ...more
Hrh
Nov 21, 2016 Hrh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating novel of its time, by an author contemporary with Dickens, Thackeray, and others, so written in that nineteenth-century style. Add to that the Scottish dialect of the characters and it can be a challenge. But the modern editor does include a small glossary at the back so with concentration you can be transported to the Scottish hills circa late-nineteenth century. Recommended for lovers of religious-themed novels with some fantastical, mystical elements.
Elisha Andres
Dec 29, 2016 Elisha Andres rated it it was amazing
What a blessed book, and what a time for me to read it! Was encouraged by the wisdom of this girl! Loved it!
Gretchen
While the beautiful brogue warmed my heart, the story lacked the depth that many other MacDonald masterpieces display. Simplistic, though real, the tale focuses around two families as they deal with different difficulties through different means to discover the strength that comes from knowing the Father of us all.

A few very abrupt transitions in the story leave the reader with a choppy feel, and Steenie, the "half-wit" comes off only as poetic, not mentally challenged.

Great nuggets of insight,
Tsger
Jan 22, 2010 Tsger rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A simply fantastic story. This is the first book of MacDonald's I have read, at the recommendation of a friend. Many might be turned off by trying to understand the dialog which MacDonald writes as it sounds, in a heavy old Scottish dialect. But it is worth it! This, to me, is Christian fiction at its finest.
Lark
Jun 29, 2012 Lark rated it really liked it
The copy I read was actually called The Heather and the Snow. Kirsty has so much strength of character, as well as charity and determination. Very good read.
Sariah
May 06, 2012 Sariah marked it as to-read
My mom wrote in it and gave this book to Eirene, and Eirene wrote in it and gave it to me for my birthday, there's one more blank page left, so we'll see what I do with it.
Shannon Ture
Sep 06, 2016 Shannon Ture rated it it was amazing
Would like to read the original - Heather & Snow. This book is not what this publisher's new title and cover make it seem, which is juvenile.
Sylvia Gougar
Sylvia Gougar rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2012
Hannah Schepler
Hannah Schepler rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2015
Stacey
Stacey rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2009
Frances
Frances rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2014
Jomae
Jomae rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2009
Marty Love
Marty Love rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Lynda Kennedy
Lynda Kennedy rated it liked it
May 05, 2015
Leisel
Leisel rated it it was amazing
Sep 19, 2008
Jina
Jina rated it it was ok
Aug 18, 2014
Johanna
Johanna rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2008
Teresa Dyck
Teresa Dyck rated it really liked it
Oct 21, 2011
Joan
Joan rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2014
Alanna
Alanna rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2016
Justme
Justme rated it really liked it
May 19, 2014
Charlie Perry
Charlie Perry rated it it was amazing
Oct 23, 2012
Danae
Danae rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2012
Mark M
Mark M rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Svyat0s Albireo
Svyat0s Albireo rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2010
Molly
Molly rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • A Place in the Sun (The Journals of Corrie Belle Hollister, #4)
  • Wolves Among Us (Chronicles of the Scribe #3)
  • The Holy War
  • A Flight of Arrows (The Pathfinders, #2)
  • Heart of the Sandhills (Dakota Moons #3)
  • A Crown in the Stars (Genesis, #3)
  • Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Highland, #1)
  • The Desires of Her Heart (Texas: Star of Destiny, #1)
  • Love's Pursuit
  • The Other Side of the Sun
  • When You Believe
  • Hidden Rainbow
George MacDonald was a Scottish author, poet, and Christian minister.

Known particularly for his poignant fairy tales and fantasy novels, George MacDonald inspired many authors, such as G.K. Chesterton, W. H. Auden, J.R.R. Tolkien, C. S. Lewis, and Madeleine L'Engle. Lewis that wrote that he regarded MacDonald as his "master": "Picking up a copy of Phantastes one day at a train-station bookstall, I
More about George MacDonald...

“Then came the reflection, how little at any time could a father do for the wellbeing of his children! The fact of their being children implied their need of an all-powerful father: must there not then be such a father? Therewith the truth dawned upon him, that first of truths, which all his church-going and Bible-reading had hitherto failed to disclose, that, for life to be a good thing and worth living, a man must be the child of a perfect father, and know him. In his terrible perturbation about his children, he lifted up his heart—not to the Governor of the world; not to the God of Abraham or Moses; not in the least to the God of the Kirk; least of all to the God of the Shorter Catechism; but to the faithful creator and Father of David Barclay. The aching soul which none but a perfect father could have created capable of deploring its own fatherly imperfection, cried out to the father of fathers on behalf of his children, and as he cried, a peace came stealing over him such as he had never before felt.” 16 likes
“But in truth there was more expression in the flower than was yet in the face. The flower expressed what God was thinking of when He made it; the face, what the girl was thinking of her self. When she ceased thinking of herself, then, like the flower, she would show what God was thinking of when he made her.” 4 likes