Loose Leashes

Loose Leashes

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  33 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Sixteen kid-friendly rhymes accompany funny photographic portraits of dogs in this delightful picture book. A salty dog’s lament of traveling the world is perfectly captured in ballad form; a finicky Yorkie expresses her bathing preferences in common meter; while a Paul Bunyan-esque golden lab celebrates the outdoors in haiku form. This collection of canine poems and photo...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Random House Books for Young Readers

Shel
Jul 24, 2009 Shel added it
Shelves: picturebooks
Schmidt, A. (2009). Loose Leashes. New York: Random House.

Created by a husband and wife team, Loose Leashes shares poems of dogs who are anthropomorphized in various ways. Honey doesn’t want to go to a groomer. Lewis and Clark seek adventure. Grace goes ice-skating. Pip and Squeak fight over a bone (Okay, so the last one is still typical dog behavior).

From the first poem, “Loose Leashes,” several dogs are free to do as they please and most seek adventure of some sort. A few dogs dea...more
The Reading Countess
This husband and wife team worked as one in this imaginative and beautifully (although a bit silly) photographed poetry book. In fact, the pictures are so well done that I had to hold the book close to me while reading the poems aloud to my classes and THEN show the photos. Each time, my students erupted in laughter. What a great reminder that poetry can be playful. The various kinds of poetry make it a great teaching tool. I plan on revisiting this one next week when we cover limericks:

Monte an...more
Hope
Apr 10, 2012 Hope added it
This poetry book was very funny because they are true things about dogs and the pictures were so cute,funny, and always helped you get good a good image of the point of the things dog do to that makes us laugh in the long run. The author had great devices for each one of her poems such as onomatopoeia, end-rhyme, repetition, rhythm, and imagery. A lot of these poems I had connections with like a poem called, Clean Dog, Smelly Dog, a Tail of Woe... because when I was 5 our outside water went out...more
April Castle
The book of dog poems is about what does would do without leashes. Simple and fun poetry. They are all about different adventures for dogs, such as, surfing, ice skating, keeping cool, swimming, reading, and bathing. This book could be used for, If animals could do what humans do, what would they do? A good writing project to explore possibilities.
Lisa Nagel
Ages 3 and up
Fun dog poems with great photographs. The kids of all ages in our school library have really enjoyed this book. Even if the poems are not all that memorable, they are fun and engaging, which make this book a great way to introduce poetry and various genres to the younger ages. Includes haiku, limericks and others.
Matthew
I can't account for my opinion on this one because the book is generally well done. I'm just not that enamored with the cuteness factor here. Some of my friends with more reading credibility than me (and an admittedly soft spot for dogs) love this book. I liked it, but that was about it.
Joann
Jul 30, 2014 Joann rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dogs
Loved the photos and poems. The only poem I didn't care for was "Anchors Aweigh." It just didn't seem to fit with the rest of the book.
Kerri
Great for teaching point of view and playing with voice! And the pictures are adorable!
Kristina
a childrens book full of rhymes and pictures all about dogs!
Amy Brown
Funny dog poems with great photos.
Love the photos!
Katie
Katie added it
Apr 13, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Caitlin Kelly
Caitlin Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2013
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
May 08, 2012
Dipa Ma: The Life and Legacy of a Buddhist Master Dog-Gone School Knee Deep in Grace: The Extraordinary Life and Teaching of Dipa Ma Rock Star! (Eva Heart, Vampire Slayer, #1) Jack Stark (Eva Heart, Vampire Slayer #2)