Start by marking “The Wind from a Burning Woman” as Want to Read:
The Wind from a Burning Woman

The Wind from a Burning Woman

3.58 of 5 stars 3.58  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This collection contains: The White Horse Child; Petra; Scattershot; Mandala; Hardfought; and The Wind from a Burning Woman. Hardfought won the Nebula Award for best novella in 1983.
Published November 4th 2002 by Arkham House Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind from a Burning Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind from a Burning Woman

Bebabi34
LA DONNA CHE BRUCIO' NEL VENTO (The Wind from a Burning Woman, 1978) IL FIGLIO DEL CAVALLO BIANCO (The White Horse Child, 1979) PETRA (Petra, 1981) BARAONDA (Scattershot, 1978) L'ORA DELLA BATTAGLIA (Hardfought, 1981) LA VENDETTA (The Venging, 1975)
Randolph Carter
I'm not sure what "hard sf" is but its what Greg Bear is pigeonholed for. A couple of these stories are all scifi, but the rest run the gamut from none to just a little. If these stories are any indication, Bear is more than capable of writing any sort of story he cares to. That said, while pretty good, this Akham House collection didn't grab me like some of the others I have read recently. I liked it but the longer stories dragged a little for me. I still gave it four stars because the stories ...more
David
A great collection of short stories. As with most of Bear's books, the universes he creates are rich, believable and very strange.

My only disappointment is that the characters and worlds are so good that you're left wanting more after the story ends.

One warning: If you've already read The Collected Stories of Greg Bear, then you've already read most of these stories. All but Mandala also appear in that anthology.
Martin
A couple of the stories are terrific, while a couple remind me of the Outer Limits and are not particularly good. The best involves a blackmail plot on an epic scale, "Tell the truth or I'll destroy you," which does not go as planned.
Megan Baxter
When I got this out from the library, I didn't realize it was short stories. And even then, it wasn't until I sat down with it and started to think that, hey, some of these stories seem awfully familiar, that I realized that a couple of years ago I read that mammoth book of Greg Bear's short stories, and so, yes, I had read all of these before.

But it had been a few years, and I remembered enjoying the stories the first time, so I settled in to read them again. (Except for Mandala, which I reread
Liz Brau
i love you greg bear. these short stories kicked ass. and his preface made me love him even more.
Lord Humungus
Some great stories; made me buy more Greg Bear books, but none ever re-captured the same magic.
Simon Gelling
Bad.Boring,and hard to understand what the stories are about.
Alan
Alan added it
Jan 19, 2015
Miranda
Miranda marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Rt
Rt added it
Dec 19, 2014
Yushak
Yushak added it
Dec 10, 2014
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Jon Harbour
Jon Harbour marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2014
Kellye
Kellye marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Kris
Kris added it
Oct 04, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Erika
Erika is currently reading it
Jul 18, 2014
JT
JT marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Stephen Ward
Stephen Ward marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Joseph Szabo
Joseph Szabo marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
  • The Compass Rose
  • Dealing in Futures
  • Over the Edge/An Edge in My Voice (Edgeworks 1)
  • The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
  • The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth
  • Otherness
  • The Howling Man
  • The Dark Country
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...
Foundation and Chaos (Second Foundation Trilogy, #2) Eon (The Way, #1) The Forge of God (Forge of God, #1) Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1) Blood Music