Start by marking “The Wind from a Burning Woman” as Want to Read:
The Wind from a Burning Woman

The Wind from a Burning Woman

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  169 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
This collection contains: The White Horse Child; Petra; Scattershot; Mandala; Hardfought; and The Wind from a Burning Woman. Hardfought won the Nebula Award for best novella in 1983.
Published November 4th 2002 by Arkham House Publishers (first published 1983)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind from a Burning Woman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wind from a Burning Woman

Randolph Carter
I'm not sure what "hard sf" is but its what Greg Bear is pigeonholed for. A couple of these stories are all scifi, but the rest run the gamut from none to just a little. If these stories are any indication, Bear is more than capable of writing any sort of story he cares to. That said, while pretty good, this Akham House collection didn't grab me like some of the others I have read recently. I liked it but the longer stories dragged a little for me. I still gave it four stars because the stories ...more
David
Aug 17, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great collection of short stories. As with most of Bear's books, the universes he creates are rich, believable and very strange.

My only disappointment is that the characters and worlds are so good that you're left wanting more after the story ends.

One warning: If you've already read The Collected Stories of Greg Bear, then you've already read most of these stories. All but Mandala also appear in that anthology.
Bebabi34
LA DONNA CHE BRUCIO' NEL VENTO (The Wind from a Burning Woman, 1978) IL FIGLIO DEL CAVALLO BIANCO (The White Horse Child, 1979) PETRA (Petra, 1981) BARAONDA (Scattershot, 1978) L'ORA DELLA BATTAGLIA (Hardfought, 1981) LA VENDETTA (The Venging, 1975)
Martin
A couple of the stories are terrific, while a couple remind me of the Outer Limits and are not particularly good. The best involves a blackmail plot on an epic scale, "Tell the truth or I'll destroy you," which does not go as planned.
Megan Baxter
May 19, 2014 Megan Baxter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I got this out from the library, I didn't realize it was short stories. And even then, it wasn't until I sat down with it and started to think that, hey, some of these stories seem awfully familiar, that I realized that a couple of years ago I read that mammoth book of Greg Bear's short stories, and so, yes, I had read all of these before.

But it had been a few years, and I remembered enjoying the stories the first time, so I settled in to read them again. (Except for Mandala, which I reread
Liz Brau
Jun 30, 2010 Liz Brau rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i love you greg bear. these short stories kicked ass. and his preface made me love him even more.
Lord Humungus
May 14, 2010 Lord Humungus rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great stories; made me buy more Greg Bear books, but none ever re-captured the same magic.
Simon Gelling
Sep 13, 2013 Simon Gelling rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad.Boring,and hard to understand what the stories are about.
Mia Hillairet
Mia Hillairet is currently reading it
May 25, 2016
Olof
Olof is currently reading it
May 21, 2016
J R
J R rated it it was ok
May 20, 2016
Marti Dolata
Marti Dolata marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Captain Swissicorn
Captain Swissicorn marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Choirsoftheeye
Choirsoftheeye marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
A. Dawes
A. Dawes marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Ddraig
Ddraig rated it liked it
Apr 09, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Kyle
Kyle added it
Mar 15, 2016
Valerio Spisani
Valerio Spisani marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2016
Gnat
Gnat rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Tamara Munzner
Tamara Munzner rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2016
Deathmetalroze
Deathmetalroze marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2016
Darron Moore
Darron Moore rated it it was amazing
Feb 10, 2016
Farzana
Farzana rated it it was amazing
Jan 25, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Marian Mertes
Marian Mertes rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2016
Hanan
Hanan marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2016
Owen Butler
Owen Butler rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2016
  • Songs the Dead Men Sing
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Dealing in Futures
  • At the Mountains of Madness And Other Tales of Terror
  • Over the Edge/An Edge in My Voice (Edgeworks 1)
  • The Island of Dr. Death and Other Stories and Other Stories
  • The Howling Man
  • Starlight: The Great Short Fiction of Alfred Bester
  • The Ends Of The Earth: 14 Stories
  • The Last Hieroglyph
Greg Bear is one of the world's leading hard SF authors. He sold his first short story, at the age of fifteen, to Robert Lowndes's Famous Science Fiction.

A full-time writer, he lives in Washington State with his family. He is married to Astrid Anderson Bear. He is the son-in-law of Poul Anderson. They are the parents of two children, Erik and Alexandra.

More about Greg Bear...