Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture (The Complete Idiot's Guides)

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  40 ratings  ·  6 reviews
You’re no idiot, of course. You know that St. Patrick’s Day is in March, JFK was our only Irish-Catholic President, and that the IRA isn’t necessarily a tax-deferred account. But when it comes to knowing about the history and culture of Ireland, you feel as Irish as a box of stale Lucky Charms.

Don’t give up on the luck of the Irish just yet! The Complete Idiot’s Guide® to
Published February 1st 1999 by Alpha

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture

Maria Paiz
A friend gave me this book for my birthday, which turned out to be the perfect preparation for my trip to Ireland because it provided the highlights of Irish history.
Cris
Not the most interesting or humorous Idiot's guide I've read. After much of the reading I've done I find this book simplistic in its views and statements.

As an introduction I guess it's not bad, but it lacks the interesting and amusing commentary I expect from this line of books.
Patrick McWilliams
I read most of it. Seems a bit biased toward a liberal mindset and Roman Catholicism at points. The chapter on St. Patrick relies heavily on Roman Catholic legend rather than historical evidence. It is implied that King James I was a homosexual. No mention of Irish slaves in America.
TC
May 25, 2008 TC rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people interested in Ireland in any way
This was one of the books that really got me excited about going to see Ireland. It's full of great information, but it's not dry or overwhelming. If you plan on ever going to visit the Emerald Isle, go buy this book!
Kate
A humorous but fact filled guide to the Emerald Isle. I enjoyed the book and it whets my appetite to find the sod where the ancestors trod and persevered in spite of tremendous challenges.
Megan
Jun 26, 2010 Megan added it
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture by Sonja Massie (1999)
Etain Feeley
Etain Feeley marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
Annylost
Annylost marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Bryan
Bryan marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
David Calderwood
David Calderwood marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2014
Carolynn Padgett
Carolynn Padgett marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Eric Barnes
Eric Barnes marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Katherine
Katherine is currently reading it
Mar 20, 2014
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2014
Jon
Jon marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2013
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2013
Christopher Hicks
Christopher Hicks marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2013
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2013
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
May 01, 2013
Emily Lloyd
Emily Lloyd marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Far and Away Daughter of Ireland (Irish Eyes, #3) Irish Pride: 101 Reasons to Be Proud You're Irish Moon Song The Janet Dailey Companion: A Comprehensive Guide to Her Life and Her Novels