Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture

3.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  46 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
You’re no idiot, of course. You know that St. Patrick’s Day is in March, JFK was our only Irish-Catholic President, and that the IRA isn’t necessarily a tax-deferred account. But when it comes to knowing about the history and culture of Ireland, you feel as Irish as a box of stale Lucky Charms.

Don’t give up on the luck of the Irish just yet! The Complete Idiot’s Guide to I
Published February 1st 1999 by Alpha

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture

Nathan Albright
Mar 20, 2016 Nathan Albright rated it it was ok
Shelves: challenge
Although I am generally fond of the Idiot's Guide series [1], I found this book to be somewhat dissatisfying on at least a couple of grounds that are worthy of comment. This book seems to assume that the reader is Catholic Irish, for even though the authors claim that those of us, myself included, who spring from Scot-Irish Protestant ancestry are to consider ourselves Irish, the book ignores some of the surnames that were a part of the Ascendancy and the book ignores any discussion on one of th ...more
Onyx
Mar 28, 2015 Onyx rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Americans interested in anything Irish
Shelves: random-subjects
This book was written by an American woman who suddenly became interested in her Irish ancestry. She herself later made a few trips to Ireland, and at one point lived there for a while. The book was written in 1999, so some things might have changed somewhat since her description of Irish ways and culture. And I'm sure we now have twenty-five more years of history to read about, too. I meant to finish this book on St. Patrick's Day of this year in order to post it that very same day, but I misse ...more
Maria Paiz
Jul 02, 2014 Maria Paiz rated it liked it
A friend gave me this book for my birthday, which turned out to be the perfect preparation for my trip to Ireland because it provided the highlights of Irish history.
Anafalz
Mar 13, 2016 Anafalz rated it liked it
Not bad. Not great. But it is a decent primer on the topic.
Timothy Boyd
Jan 27, 2016 Timothy Boyd rated it liked it
A great book to start you learning about Ireland, it's history, her people, and religions. This book puts everything into an easily understood time line. Recommended
Cris
Apr 26, 2009 Cris rated it it was ok
Shelves: cultural, history, ireland
Not the most interesting or humorous Idiot's guide I've read. After much of the reading I've done I find this book simplistic in its views and statements.

As an introduction I guess it's not bad, but it lacks the interesting and amusing commentary I expect from this line of books.
Patrick McWilliams
Dec 31, 2013 Patrick McWilliams rated it it was ok
I read most of it. Seems a bit biased toward a liberal mindset and Roman Catholicism at points. The chapter on St. Patrick relies heavily on Roman Catholic legend rather than historical evidence. It is implied that King James I was a homosexual. No mention of Irish slaves in America.
TC
May 25, 2008 TC rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people interested in Ireland in any way
This was one of the books that really got me excited about going to see Ireland. It's full of great information, but it's not dry or overwhelming. If you plan on ever going to visit the Emerald Isle, go buy this book!
Kate
Nov 05, 2012 Kate rated it really liked it
A humorous but fact filled guide to the Emerald Isle. I enjoyed the book and it whets my appetite to find the sod where the ancestors trod and persevered in spite of tremendous challenges.
Megan
Jun 26, 2010 Megan added it
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Irish History and Culture by Sonja Massie (1999)
Janet Honne
Janet Honne marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Madara
Madara marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Marita
Marita marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Monica
Monica marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Ivana
Ivana added it
Feb 13, 2016
Rodrigo
Rodrigo marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Tamara
Tamara added it
Jan 17, 2016
Lauren Shook
Lauren Shook marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Dymphna
Dymphna marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2016
Sean Spencer
Sean Spencer marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2016
Sam
Sam marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Ann Doidge
Ann Doidge marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Salla Leppänen
Salla Leppänen marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2015
Addicted to Books
Addicted to Books marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Since publication of her first novel in 1986, Sonja Massie has authored more than 60 published works, including the highly popular and critically acclaimed Savannah Reid Mysteries under the pseudonym G.A. McKevett. Sonja's novels range from Irish historicals to contemporary thrillers She also wrote the best seller Far and Away, a novel based on Ron Howard's movie, starring Tom Cruise and Nicole K ...more
More about Sonja Massie...