Start by marking “The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)

The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  19 reviews
In this wide-ranging and authoritative collection of C.S. Lewis's writings, Lyle W. Dorsett brings together the many and varied facets of the beloved author's corpus. Selecting works of fiction, science fiction, autobiography, theology, poetry, and literary criticism, as well as Lewis's letters to adults and children, Dorsett shows the erudite author at his most innovative ...more
Published June 3rd 1996 by Scribner (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential C. S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential C. S. Lewis

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 09, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Richard's Gift
This was the parting gift of a friend and coworker. We had sparred constantly: he the devout Catholic, me the "stone cold atheist." I shook my head when I saw the title. "You don't give up, do you?" He replied in a Darth Vader voice, "Ah, but if you could be turned!" I took it as a compliment and didn't have the heart to tell him I had already encountered C.S. Lewis, the famous Christian apologist, and found his arguments unconvincing and his philosophy uncongenial.

A lot of the selections in thi
This is a good collection of C.S. Lewis' works. I got this as a gift. Personally, I probably wouldn't have bought it unless if you really like most of C.S. Lewis' writing. I only liked Chronicles of Narnia, Surprised by Joy, the selection from The Screwtape Letters, selection from Mere Christianity, and his letters. It only includes the complete texts of Perelandra, The Abolition of Man, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I would have wanted the complete text of Mere Christianity instead ...more
Monica
C.S. Lewis has got to be one of the greatest minds of the 20th Century. This book gives a flavor of some of his greatest - from apologetics to philosophy, juvenile and adult fiction, as well as autobiographical essays. When he admits that he is "speaking to the vulgar masses" (read 'speaking in simple, layman's terms), I understand him completely. When he is in his scholarly mode, I admit that I have to think VERY HARD to understand what he's trying to say (e.g. "The Abolition of Man")... but wh ...more
Nohreen
May 30, 2009 Nohreen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nohreen by: Brittany
Shelves: nonfiction, fiction
Excellent book by a literary genius such as C.S. Lewis. Incuded in this book are his works from differing genres. The volume includes essays, novels, autbobiography, poetry, letters & writings on literature-- are truly enjoyable and rich book. I had to read it slower and at a leisurely pace so as to fully grasp the depth of some of what's included, especially the Perelandra. A must read and re-read book.
Kristen
Sep 16, 2007 Kristen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
I love this survey of Lewis' work...you get a taste of every genre he wrote in. It was especially enjoyable to re-read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." Ah, Aslan!
The only 2 sections I haven't LOVED have been the Adult Fiction, which includes the sci-fi novel "Perelandra" and the Philosophy. A little TOO deep. I am so excited to read the whole books of which I've now read excerpts, thanks to this book!
Kim
Ok, so I didn't really finish it...I keep coming back to it and reading sections. I cannot make myself read the sci-fi "Perelandra" even though I keep meaning to do it. The letters, poetry, essays are thought-provoking and fill in some the spaces in understanding Lewis' personal life. I totally recommend it, especially if you haven't read much/any of his work.
Becky Fields
It's not that you read this from front to back -- it's that it's a helpful compilation of some of Lewis' finest. Should sit on your shelf. But it's far better if you take it down occasionally to peruse its pages. And discover, again, Lewisian insight.
Jen3n
I'd previously read everything in this collection, but throughly enjoyed re-reading what was essentially a highlight-reel of an excellent author.
Gil
An excellent book to start with for those new to C.S. Lewis. I got a general overall by reading.
Emily
Fantastic collection of a variety of Lewis' forms of writing.
Suzannah
Terrific collections of some of his best writing.
Tracy Houk-ishitoya
This is a nice sampler of Lewis's greatest hits.
Terry Eaves
A valuable resource and helpful introduction to the breadth of Lewis' work. If you haven't read him, this title will help you get started. If you already love him, this is a worthwhile addition to your library.
Baldelli
This is a really good edition. It gives a good comprehensive sampling of C.S. Lewis' work, including short stories, science fiction, non-fiction, and philosophical essays.
Jan
Giant book of CS Lewis quotes organized by topic. I have used it and used it and used it.

Not only a must read - it is a must own reference book.
Sar
it's a good compilation, but i like having the individual books and find them easier to reference.
Karen
I just read an excerpt from Mere Christianity, and loved it. Makes me want to read the rest of the essay.
Essential C.S. Lewis by C.S. Lewis (1988)
Aaron
C.S. Lewis highlights. Not too much of anything.
Ngareta Wairepo
Ngareta Wairepo marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2014
Mae
Mae marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Kayla Kneifel
Kayla Kneifel is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Chris Murphy
Chris Murphy marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Karen
Karen is currently reading it
Dec 24, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2014
Sami Habtu
Sami Habtu marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Darcy
Darcy marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Jacob Sabin
Jacob Sabin marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • C. S. Lewis: A Life: Eccentric Genius, Reluctant Prophet
  • The Christian Tradition 3: The Growth of Medieval Theology 600-1300
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • What I Learned in Narnia
  • The Lost Art of Disciple Making
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • The Narnian: The Life and Imagination of C. S. Lewis
  • The Ploughman's Lunch
  • The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...
The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Chronicles of Narnia (Chronicles of Narnia, #1-7) The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6) Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)