Start by marking “The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)” as Want to Read:
The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)

The Essential C. S. Lewis (C.S. Lewis Classics)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  384 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
In this wide-ranging and authoritative collection of C.S. Lewis's writings, Lyle W. Dorsett brings together the many and varied facets of the beloved author's corpus. Selecting works of fiction, science fiction, autobiography, theology, poetry, and literary criticism, as well as Lewis's letters to adults and children, Dorsett shows the erudite author at his most innovative ...more
Published June 3rd 1996 by Scribner (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Essential C. S. Lewis, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Essential C. S. Lewis

Lisa (Harmonybites)
Oct 09, 2012 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa (Harmonybites) by: Richard's Gift
This was the parting gift of a friend and coworker. We had sparred constantly: he the devout Catholic, me the "stone cold atheist." I shook my head when I saw the title. "You don't give up, do you?" He replied in a Darth Vader voice, "Ah, but if you could be turned!" I took it as a compliment and didn't have the heart to tell him I had already encountered C.S. Lewis, the famous Christian apologist, and found his arguments unconvincing and his philosophy uncongenial.

A lot of the selections in thi
Mar 20, 2013 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christianity
This is a good collection of C.S. Lewis' works. I got this as a gift. Personally, I probably wouldn't have bought it unless if you really like most of C.S. Lewis' writing. I only liked Chronicles of Narnia, Surprised by Joy, the selection from The Screwtape Letters, selection from Mere Christianity, and his letters. It only includes the complete texts of Perelandra, The Abolition of Man, and The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I would have wanted the complete text of Mere Christianity instead ...more
Monica
Jun 06, 2009 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
C.S. Lewis has got to be one of the greatest minds of the 20th Century. This book gives a flavor of some of his greatest - from apologetics to philosophy, juvenile and adult fiction, as well as autobiographical essays. When he admits that he is "speaking to the vulgar masses" (read 'speaking in simple, layman's terms), I understand him completely. When he is in his scholarly mode, I admit that I have to think VERY HARD to understand what he's trying to say (e.g. "The Abolition of Man")... but wh ...more
Kristen
Sep 16, 2007 Kristen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all
Shelves:
I love this survey of Lewis' work...you get a taste of every genre he wrote in. It was especially enjoyable to re-read "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." Ah, Aslan!
The only 2 sections I haven't LOVED have been the Adult Fiction, which includes the sci-fi novel "Perelandra" and the Philosophy. A little TOO deep. I am so excited to read the whole books of which I've now read excerpts, thanks to this book!
Kim
Oct 23, 2008 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok, so I didn't really finish it...I keep coming back to it and reading sections. I cannot make myself read the sci-fi "Perelandra" even though I keep meaning to do it. The letters, poetry, essays are thought-provoking and fill in some the spaces in understanding Lewis' personal life. I totally recommend it, especially if you haven't read much/any of his work.
Becky Fields
Jul 25, 2013 Becky Fields rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's not that you read this from front to back -- it's that it's a helpful compilation of some of Lewis' finest. Should sit on your shelf. But it's far better if you take it down occasionally to peruse its pages. And discover, again, Lewisian insight.
Jen3n
Sep 21, 2012 Jen3n rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
I'd previously read everything in this collection, but throughly enjoyed re-reading what was essentially a highlight-reel of an excellent author.
Emily
Apr 06, 2008 Emily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic collection of a variety of Lewis' forms of writing.
Suzannah
Terrific collections of some of his best writing.
Tracy Houk-ishitoya
This is a nice sampler of Lewis's greatest hits.
Ryan Linkous
Nov 12, 2015 Ryan Linkous rated it it was amazing
This is a great collection and introduction of some of C.S. Lewis's most important works. It has been a blessing to learn from and enjoy Lewis's brilliance. Not only was he a great Christian essayist and novelist, but he also made significant contributions to literary criticism and gave many people counsel by answered every piece of fan mail he ever received. I think that his most important essays/sermons are "The Weight of Glory," "De Descriptione Temporum," and "God in the Dock.

What was surpri
Tiffany Kimbrel
Feb 28, 2015 Tiffany Kimbrel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read many anthologies. I appreciated the blend of fiction and non fiction. I got to learn about the author and experience his work. In this day of reality TV, I appreciate the inside look. What a powerful testimony about how God uses people, who open themselves up and submit to His omnipotence.
Nohreen
May 30, 2009 Nohreen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nohreen by: Brittany
Shelves: nonfiction, fiction
Excellent book by a literary genius such as C.S. Lewis. Incuded in this book are his works from differing genres. The volume includes essays, novels, autbobiography, poetry, letters & writings on literature-- are truly enjoyable and rich book. I had to read it slower and at a leisurely pace so as to fully grasp the depth of some of what's included, especially the Perelandra. A must read and re-read book.
Terry Eaves
May 15, 2008 Terry Eaves rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A valuable resource and helpful introduction to the breadth of Lewis' work. If you haven't read him, this title will help you get started. If you already love him, this is a worthwhile addition to your library.
Baldelli
Jul 07, 2008 Baldelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a really good edition. It gives a good comprehensive sampling of C.S. Lewis' work, including short stories, science fiction, non-fiction, and philosophical essays.
Jan
Mar 27, 2008 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Giant book of CS Lewis quotes organized by topic. I have used it and used it and used it.

Not only a must read - it is a must own reference book.
Sar
Nov 25, 2008 Sar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it's a good compilation, but i like having the individual books and find them easier to reference.
Karen
Apr 14, 2009 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just read an excerpt from Mere Christianity, and loved it. Makes me want to read the rest of the essay.
Aaron
Jun 14, 2008 Aaron rated it really liked it
Shelves: odds-and-ends
C.S. Lewis highlights. Not too much of anything.
Arturo Pina
Arturo Pina marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2016
Cliff
Cliff marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2016
Raquel
Raquel is currently reading it
Feb 02, 2016
Mark Evans
Mark Evans rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Ryan
Ryan is currently reading it
Jan 27, 2016
Selina
Selina marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Timothy Wahmhoff
Timothy Wahmhoff marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Nathania
Nathania marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
  • The Quotable Lewis
  • The Most Reluctant Convert: C. S. Lewis's Journey to Faith
  • The Ploughman's Lunch
  • Through the Shadowlands: The Love Story of C. S. Lewis and Joy Davidman
  • From the Library of C. S. Lewis: Selections from Writers Who Influenced His Spiritual Journey (Writers' Palette Book)
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • After Our Likeness: The Church as the Image of the Trinity
  • Eucharistic Miracles: And Eucharistic Phenomenon in the Lives of the Saints
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • Evangelical Theology: An Introduction
  • Jack: A Life of C.S. Lewis
CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge University, a position he held until his retirement. He wrote more than th ...more
More about C.S. Lewis...