Start by marking “The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith” as Want to Read:
The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

David C. Downing offers a unique look at C. S. Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it had on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ.
Published April 1st 2002 by InterVarsity Press

To ask other readers questions about The Most Reluctant Convert, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Most Reluctant Convert

Mike (the Paladin)
Nov 30, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
I am as many who've read other reviews etc. from me will know that I'm a huge C.S. Lewis fan. I've read a great deal of his writing (fiction and nonfiction) and recommend it all. This isn't the first boi of read of him.

This is an interesting biography and it does touch on the era before Lewis' conversion. I'm a little leery as we do have to take the writer's word for some of what Lewis nay have thought though in most cases he dies have writings by Lewis himself and those who knew him.

All in al
Acolvin
If, like me, you see CS Lewis as one of the most enlightening writers on Christian faith, you'll find this book intriguing. It's a little on the dry side, so don't expect it to be as engaging as a book actually written by Lewis.

The biography lays out a progression of thinking by one of the most brilliant Christian writers in modern times. It was interesting to learn that someone with as much intellectual will was driven by a churn of deep personal thought and imagination. The book connected the
Stephanie
Aug 21, 2008 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographical
Publisher's Description:

"David Downing offers a unique look at Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it ahd on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ. Most other biographies of Lewis explore his childhood or his dramatic conversion to Christianity. But it was the rarely discussed period from Lewis's childhood to his early thirties that took him on a tumultuous journey of spiritual and intellectual exploration. It was not despite this journey but precisely bec
Janet
Jun 13, 2010 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
David C. Downing wrote a wonderful account of Mr. Lewis's spiritual journey. I started this book in November, and just finished it. It is worth taking time to read and not rush through. Materialism, introspection that invites self absorption...these are things C. S. Lewis struggled with. I can relate.
Thomas Grosh IV
Oct 13, 2012 Thomas Grosh IV rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: evangelism, c-s-lewis
Yes, C.S. Lewis was a reluctant convert. Was it worth the time of his friends to share the Gospel with him and argue over whether there was one True Myth, that to which all the other myths point toward? I answer with an emphatic, "Yes!" David offers an superb window into the Lewis' journey to faith in Christ.
Clarissa
Nov 11, 2013 Clarissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An introduction to Lewis' convertion to Christ and his intelectual pathways. Great book to help us understand better his work and way of thinking through the many phases of his early years. His intelectual process from atheist to christian is by itself a great lesson envolving literature, philosophy, psichology and lovely, simple and clear realizations about Life.
Gregory Byerline
Grateful that Brother Jack wrestled, contemplated, and reasoned his way home. In today's age of emotionalism and hype, it's refreshing to encounter the slow and deliberate, even though reluctant, search and pursuit that results in understanding that we are actually the ones being sought and pursued.
Readnponder
Feb 13, 2012 Readnponder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Consider this a study guide of sorts for C. S. Lewis's autobiography "Surprised by Joy." Downing elaborates a bit more on Lewis's family and the many books and philosophies that influenced him on his journey to faith. Having it by your side will help you understand and glean so much more from "Surprised by Joy."
Darcy
May 07, 2009 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
A look at C.S. Lewis's spiritual journey drawing from who and what he read as well as what he wrote. Thankfully, the focus is more on Lewis's fiction rather than his apologetics. A little dry at times, and oddly speculative at others. For the Lewis completist.
Lucas
Dec 09, 2014 Lucas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pra quem gosta de C.S. Lewis, é muito divertido e instigante! Para quem nao o conhece, o livro é esclarecedor em aspectos alheios a C.S.Lewis.

O começo pode ser um pouco cansativo, mas a partir do capitulo 3, fica muito legal!
Susan
Dec 07, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book tracing the spiritual journey of C.S. Lewis from atheism to belief in Christ. His use of personal correspondence to follow Lewis's thoughts, and his paralleling Lewis's thoughts to some of his writings made this especially compelling. Great read!
Amanda
Jul 22, 2008 Amanda rated it it was amazing
A nice, easy read focusing on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.
Carter Shaw
Reads like a thesis but has a lot of interesting insights from his writings and correspondence. Adds a solid addition to the current catalog of books about Lewis.
Natalie
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. For as small as the book was, it should have been a much quicker read.
Deyanne
A nice guidebook for "Surprised By Joy".
Lake County Public Library Indiana
Recommended by Jordan at Griffith-Calumet Twp Branch
Allison
Mar 24, 2009 Allison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A detailed look into CS Lewis's Christianity. Not so much a biography though.
Joel Zartman
Not bad. Not great.
Diane
Feb 25, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satisfying.
Ci
Sep 28, 2012 Ci rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is thorough and thoughtful, far more positive on CSL than A.N. Wilson when recounting his past and books.
Jason Thayer
Jan 08, 2015 Jason Thayer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great exploration of Lewis's journey of faith, showing how he started as an atheist and the struggle to finally accept God.
J.J.
Jul 27, 2013 J.J. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. I probably would have given it a four but I didnt like the audio versions narrator. It was a good over view of Lewis' journey from atheist to Christian.
Jerry Graham
Oct 28, 2009 Jerry Graham rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh and readable account of C. S. Lewis and his journey from atheism to faith. An inspiring book, whatever your spiritual beliefs.
Kathleen
Kathleen rated it liked it
Aug 19, 2007
Lorene Moore
Lorene Moore rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2011
Becki
Becki rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2016
Andrew Murch
Andrew Murch rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2012
Ike Reeder
Ike Reeder rated it really liked it
Sep 09, 2016
Julia Mitchell
Julia Mitchell rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Donna Jean Smith
Donna Jean Smith rated it really liked it
Oct 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Collected Letters of C.S. Lewis, Volume 3: Narnia, Cambridge, and Joy, 1950 - 1963
  • Mere Humanity: G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, and J. R. R. Tolkien on the Human Condition
  • Smoke on the Mountain: An Interpretation of the Ten Commandments
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • A Life Observed: A Spiritual Biography of C. S. Lewis
  • Lenten Lands: My Childhood with Joy Davidman and C.S. Lewis
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Handbook on the Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy
  • C.S. Lewis: A Biography
  • Portrait of a Priestess: Women and Ritual in Ancient Greece
  • The Winged Seed: A Remembrance
  • The Inklings of Oxford: C.S. Lewis, J.R.R. Tolkien, and their Friends
I am a professor of English at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This is on the edge of "Amish country," and I sometimes pass a horse and buggy on my way to and from campus.

I grew up in Colorado, went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and earned my PhD from UCLA. I currently teach professional and creative writing at Elizabethtown, as well as a first-year seminar on quest nar
More about David C. Downing...