The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

The Most Reluctant Convert: C.S. Lewis's Journey to Faith

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  123 ratings  ·  16 reviews
An ECPA 2003 Gold Medallion Finalist!Listed in Booklist's Best Adult Religion Books of the Year in 2002!His books have sold millions, including classics like Mere Christianity, The Screwtape Letters and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Yet C. S. Lewis was not always a literary giant of Christian faith. How did he leave behind a staunch atheism to become one of the mos...more
Published April 1st 2002 by InterVarsity Press (first published 2002)

Stephanie
Publisher's Description:

"David Downing offers a unique look at Lewis's personal journey to faith and the profound influence it ahd on his life as a writer and eventual follower of Christ. Most other biographies of Lewis explore his childhood or his dramatic conversion to Christianity. But it was the rarely discussed period from Lewis's childhood to his early thirties that took him on a tumultuous journey of spiritual and intellectual exploration. It was not despite this journey but precisely bec...more
Clarissa
An introduction to Lewis' convertion to Christ and his intelectual pathways. Great book to help us understand better his work and way of thinking through the many phases of his early years. His intelectual process from atheist to christian is by itself a great lesson envolving literature, philosophy, psichology and lovely, simple and clear realizations about Life.
Readnponder
Consider this a study guide of sorts for C. S. Lewis's autobiography "Surprised by Joy." Downing elaborates a bit more on Lewis's family and the many books and philosophies that influenced him on his journey to faith. Having it by your side will help you understand and glean so much more from "Surprised by Joy."
Thomas Grosh IV
Yes, C.S. Lewis was a reluctant convert. Was it worth the time of his friends to share the Gospel with him and argue over whether there was one True Myth, that to which all the other myths point toward? I answer with an emphatic, "Yes!" David offers an superb window into the Lewis' journey to faith in Christ.
Janet
David C. Downing wrote a wonderful account of Mr. Lewis's spiritual journey. I started this book in November, and just finished it. It is worth taking time to read and not rush through. Materialism, introspection that invites self absorption...these are things C. S. Lewis struggled with. I can relate.
AmblingBooks
"[A]n intellectual biography that seizes and sustains interest as though it were a spellbinding suspense thriller."�Booklist

Listen to The Most Reluctant Convert on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Susan
Excellent book tracing the spiritual journey of C.S. Lewis from atheism to belief in Christ. His use of personal correspondence to follow Lewis's thoughts, and his paralleling Lewis's thoughts to some of his writings made this especially compelling. Great read!
Darcy
A look at C.S. Lewis's spiritual journey drawing from who and what he read as well as what he wrote. Thankfully, the focus is more on Lewis's fiction rather than his apologetics. A little dry at times, and oddly speculative at others. For the Lewis completist.
Carter Shaw
Reads like a thesis but has a lot of interesting insights from his writings and correspondence. Adds a solid addition to the current catalog of books about Lewis.
J.J.
3.5. I probably would have given it a four but I didnt like the audio versions narrator. It was a good over view of Lewis' journey from atheist to Christian.
Jerry Graham
Fresh and readable account of C. S. Lewis and his journey from atheism to faith. An inspiring book, whatever your spiritual beliefs.
Qi
This book is thorough and thoughtful, far more positive on CSL than A.N. Wilson when recounting his past and books.
Natalie
I wish I could give this 2.5 stars. For as small as the book was, it should have been a much quicker read.
Allison
A detailed look into CS Lewis's Christianity. Not so much a biography though.
Amanda
A nice, easy read focusing on Lewis' conversion to Christianity.
Joel Zartman
Not bad. Not great.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Randy
Randy added it
Jul 10, 2014
Bonni
Bonni marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Jkiwi
Jkiwi added it
Jun 29, 2014
Joe Kearns
Joe Kearns marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
The night gazer nomad
The night gazer nomad marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Jen
Jen marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
I am a professor of English at Elizabethtown College in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. This is on the edge of "Amish country," and I sometimes pass a horse and buggy on my way to and from campus.

I grew up in Colorado, went to college in Santa Barbara, CA, and earned my PhD from UCLA. I currently teach professional and creative writing at Elizabethtown, as well as a first-year seminar on quest nar...more
More about David C. Downing...
Looking for the King (Inklings, #1) Into the Wardrobe: C. S. Lewis and the Narnia Chronicles Into the Region of Awe: Mysticism in C. S. Lewis Planets in Peril A South Divided: Portraits of Dissent in the Confederacy