Fiction 100: An Anthology of Short Fiction

Fiction 100: An Anthology of Short Fiction

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  19 ratings  ·  3 reviews
A collection of carefully chosen, interesting stories, the best-selling "Fiction 100" ignites readers' curiosity, imagination, and intelligence. This outstanding selection of 131 stories is presented in an attractive format, and is available for an excellent price. These selections represent a wide variety of subject matter, theme, literary technique, and style. Internatio...more
Published January 25th 2006 by Prentice Hall

Jason
Dec 17, 2012 Jason added it
Shelves: read-2011
This will be the book I weeded out from the other anthologies to give to my intro to fiction students. Is it great? Nah, but it is a solid collection of short stories from a fairly diverse set of writers. You could do far worse for one of these mondo collections, especially when building a class with a focus that the smaller collections don't address, but it will never compare to something a little smaller and more focused collections, like Doubletakes, when teaching the craft of writing.
Cathrine Bonham
Dec 06, 2011 Cathrine Bonham rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Cathrine by: Steve Utterback
Have to confess that I haven't read this book cover to cover yet. It is a really big book. This book was my text book from Into to fiction in college. I kept it because the value I get from actually reading it is a lot more than the bookstore was going to buy it back for.

I did read a lot of it. Most of it. Really. I was suprised at how many of my favorite authors had stories in here and also how many stories were mystery and Science fiction.
Madeline
meh. do we really need to continue anthologizing "a good man is hard to find"? more importantly, do my professors really need to keep making me read it? also, did you really have to make a footnote defining Harlem? and Martin Luther King Jr.? i mean seriously, pickering.

i must say thanks though, for at least including a lorrie moore story that wasn't from self-help.
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Paul
Paul is currently reading it
Aug 02, 2013
Angel Matias
Angel Matias is currently reading it
Mar 28, 2013
Tatiana
Tatiana marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Demond Baine
Demond Baine marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2014
Kyle
Kyle added it
Mar 03, 2012
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2011
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2011
Ben
Ben added it
Jul 23, 2011
Jen
Jen added it
May 27, 2011
Levi
Levi is currently reading it
Feb 28, 2011
Amanda
Amanda is currently reading it
Jan 21, 2011
Teaching One To One: The Writing Conference Prentice Hall Reference Guide Prentice Hall Reference Guide To Grammar And Usage The Academic Writing Guide To Good English Writer's FAQs, The: A Pocket Handbook (College Version)