Start by marking “Four Dukes and a Devil” as Want to Read:
Four Dukes and a Devil

Four Dukes and a Devil (The Byrons of Braebourne #1.5)

3.78  ·  Rating Details ·  2,167 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Fall in love with the unpredictable and irresistible dukes (and one dog named Duke) of Four Dukes and a Devil. Join New York Times bestselling authors Cathy Maxwell, Jeaniene Frost, and Tracy Anne Warren, along with USA Today bestselling author Elaine Fox and RITA Award winner Sophia Nash, for tales of noble danger and devilish desire.

Delicate young ladies must be protecte
Published June 30th 2009 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Four Dukes and a Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Dukes and a Devil

Julie (jjmachshev)
Jul 17, 2009 Julie (jjmachshev) rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-reads
Three and a half stars for "Four Dukes and a Devil", an anthology from Avon romance authors Cathy Maxwell, Elaine Fox, Jeaniene Frost, Sophia Nash, and Tracy Anne Warren. The best thing about this anthology is its mix of contemporary and historical, racy and sweet, and both vanilla and paranormal settings. Something for everyone.

The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell spins a tale of a penniless noblewoman who turns to match-making to support herself. When one of her best selling 'hooks' adversely affec
Beanbag Love
Sep 26, 2009 Beanbag Love rated it liked it
I bought this for the Jeaniene Frost story. I liked it, but there was an obvious solution to the overriding dilemma that was never brought up and I think that was lame. Still, Frost is a good story teller and I enjoyed it, particularly knowing that some of the details are pertinent to Spade's upcoming book. So ... even though he never makes an appearance, I thought about Spade a lot and how can I complain about that?

The other stories were mostly regencies. I'm not sure how this anthology was put
FlibBityFLooB
I decided to break this anthology down by story in my review:

Devil to Pay(Jeaniene Frost):
A parnormal short story. Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series is one of my favorites. She is actually the reason I had picked out this anthology to begin with because I saw her name on the book. I was not expecting this story to be a spin-off from Night Huntress… nobody had told me that Mencheres, Bones, and Cat would be in this book, albeit in minor roles as secondary characters. I would guess that thi
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I bought this anthology for the Cat and Bones short story. Unfortunately, it is not alone. First there is the story for which I bought this. It's not bad, but not exactly consistent with the Night Huntress world. Didn't we just recently get a story about demon blood/vampire drug? All in all, it didn't really add much to the Night Huntress world/story. But still it was certainly a decent read. *** for the Frost story.

But there are four non-paranormal stories (well, three and a half) matched with
Kathy Davie
Jun 20, 2011 Kathy Davie rated it really liked it
This anthology consists of three normal historical romances and two paranormal romances.

Series:
"Irish Duke" (part of Cameron Sisters??)

"Duke Who Came to Dinner" (part of Guys & Dogs??)

"Devil to Pay" (Vampire Huntress, 3.5)

"Catch of the Century" (Widows Club, 3.5)

"Charmed by Her Smile" Byrons of Braebourne, 2.5)

Cathy Maxwell's "Irish Duke" was a bit simple but cute in spite of the incongruities sprinkled throughout with the trouble Miss Susan Rogers causes Roan Gillray, fourth Duke of Killei
Holly
Sep 06, 2009 Holly rated it really liked it
I only read the Jeaniene Frost story, Devil To Pay.

Bones and Cat make only a brief appearance. Most of this book centers around a vampire named Elise, Mencheres, and a demon possessed human male named Blake. And it was sad! Very sweet and very sad! * sniffle* but of course since this is a romance story there's a happy ending to sigh over. I wish there could have been a wee bit more to the ending though.
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Dec 16, 2010 ♥The Kat's Meow♥ rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, ebook, nook
Cute book, Quick, fun read.
Barbara
Jun 25, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic anthology with stories by several very familiar authors and a few authors I hadn't read before. I enjoyed all five of the stories a lot, especially Jeaniene Frost's vampire tale.

The Irish Duke - Cathy Maxwell: Susan Rogers has warned everyone in London about The Irish Duke in order to get more clients for her business of shepherding young ladies through the season. When the actual Irish Duke shows up, irate because all the young ladies are avoiding him, he and Susan butt hea
Kelly22

The following review is for Tracy Anne Warren's "Charmed By Her Smile" only.

This one was a very neat and clean short read. It was one of those fluffy love stories that bring a sweet smile in your face which lingers as long as you read it!

India Byron is the cousin of Edward Byron, Duke of Clybourne (his story can be visited in At the Duke's Pleasure) and is troubled by an exasperating suitor’s relentless perusal. She wishes nothing but to get rid of him and is desperate to do anything to confir
Carrie Olguin
Jun 20, 2013 Carrie Olguin rated it did not like it
DNF.

This is a collection of short stories, a mix of historical, contemporary and paranormal.

I read the first short called the Irish Duke which seemed to have potential. But like most short stories, the plot is simple and character development minimal. I did not believe in the speed in which the couple meet and fall in love within two weeks.

I read a few chapter of the next short contemporary (the duke is a dog named Duke). Nothing special about the characters or the plot, not enough to emotionall
Ann aka Iftcan
Mar 12, 2010 Ann aka Iftcan rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance, anthology
This was a collection of 5 short stories. I decided that each story was worth 1 star, either it got it or it didn't. As you can see--only 2 of the stories were what I considered "worth while." The Jeanine Frost story was good--it was part of the Cat and Bones series, so you did need at least some knowledge of the series to appreciate it. The second story that I really enjoyed was the story by Sophia Nash. It too was part of a series, one that I think that I'm going to have to check out. It was f ...more
Lynsey A
I only read the Jeanine Frost story. It was enjoyable although nothing to write home about. It was so short there wasn't much to do with it. There was one really beautiful scene I loved:

"I know this makes no sense, since we've only known each other less than a week, but Blake...if I could spend the rest of my life with just one person, it would be you," she whispered.

Blake pulled away. Looked at her face and saw the naked vulnerability, emotion, and need there. He smiled, brushing back a strand
Olga Godim
May 14, 2017 Olga Godim rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
This anthology is comprised of 5 romance novellas. One of them is a modern romance (Elaine Fox), one is a contemporary paranormal romance (Jeaniene Frost), and the other three are historical romances. The individual styles and quality of writing vary greatly from story to story. Below are mini-reviews for each of the stories. The overall rating is a compilation of the individual rating for each story – see below.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cathy MaxwellThe Irish Duke (1 star)

Horrible writing. Very
Aimee
Oct 12, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it
I read this one just for the Jeaniene Frost story. I really liked it. The one problem I had with it...and it's the same problem I have with all short stories...is that it's too short (state the obvious, I know). But it doesn't give enough time to bond with the characters properly. Although, I must say, given the length of the story, the characters were surprisingly well fleshed out.

The other stories were entertaining as well. Enough to keep my reading, at least. I got a sample of some new autho
Tasha Turner
I enjoyed all the stories in this anthology. Of course the one by Jeaniene Frost a Cat and Bones short was my favorite and the only paranormal of the bunch. One story had what I considered an inappropriate explicit sex scene for its genre but the rest of the story was great. Each story had well fleshed out characters, humor, romance, strong women, and felt complete, not rushed.
Nicole
DEVIL TO PAY by Jeaniene Frost

Elise & Blake . . .

Bones & Cat made a very short appearance - but this novella is focused on Elise & the demon-possessed Blake - with Mancheres playing a bigger role than Cats & Bones.

Blake's dilemma is that he's possessed by demon Xaphan. Elise is determined to save Blake - and needed Mancheres' help in the process . . .

This is a good short read. But I somehow hoped to read more . . .

Overall: 3.5 stars.
Amy
Jul 15, 2009 Amy rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2009
First off, this anthology mixes genres - 3 regencies, 1 contemporary, and 1 paranormal. I hate that, as I typically only read historical romances.

The only story that was at all memorable was "The Catch of the Century," by Sophia Nash. That probably would get at least 3 stars, but even so, she had too many cameo appearances from characters in her other novels.
Mel
Dec 08, 2009 Mel rated it it was amazing
I bought this book for "Devil to Pay" by Jeaniene Frost and it is the only novella I read.
Anastasiaadamov
Nov 16, 2016 Anastasiaadamov rated it liked it
This is a collection of five short stories
"Irish Duke" 2,5*
"Duke Who Came to Dinner" 2,5*
"Devil to Pay" 4*
"Catch of the Century" 3,5*
"Charmed by Her Smile" 3*

I havent been paying attention to the authors of the stories when I first started this book.
I was plesantly surprissed with third story being Jeannine Frost story. Her Night Huntress books are on my TBR for a while now and I never seem to get to them. This story showed me what to expect and I liked it.
First story was not bad but I guess it
Lindsay
I've never read general romance before (if that's what you call this genre), and am usually an urban fiction sort. The five short stories were an odd combination. Four stories that had something to do with a duke, ranging from period romance to haunted houses, then a random break for a story about vampires and a demon. Each story was decent, but I don't know how the publisher came up with this particular compilation.
Katrina Berry
May 10, 2017 Katrina Berry rated it really liked it
Even though the series has ended doesn’t mean we don’t appreciate the love and dedication that Ms. Frost continues to put into it by giving us these lovely novellas to keep our cravings fed. Some characters are new-to-us while others we’ve had glimpses of in prior stories. This is nicely done with endearing characters and a short but complete story. Of course, getting the opportunity to read more about Cat and Bones makes it even better.
An Odd1
May 06, 2017 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xrate
Too short to be more than happily predictable, except my favorite, #2 by Fox.
The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell
She warns charges against him, not expecting his arrival to town.
The Duke who Came to Dinner by Elaine Fox
First the dog steals her clothes, then the master steals her heart.
Devil to Pay by Jeaniene Frost
Most would be terrified of this powerful vampire—but not her.
Catch of the Century by Sophie Nash
He's "the catch of the century"; she's the only one he can't have.
Charmed by her Smil
Marie
Mar 19, 2014 Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: historical, 2014
Bintang 3.
Kumpulan lima cerita pendek yg lumayan bagus.

THE IRISH DUKE
Miss Susan Rogers harus mempertanggung jawabkan omongannya yg berkesan negatif dan berbau iklan tentang Duke Irlandia agar posisinya sebagai pendamping gadis gadis kalangan bangsawan menjadi lebih mapan dan banyak yg menggunakan jasanya. Tetapi seorang duke tetaplah duke dengan segala kedudukan dan keistimewaannya di kalangan bangsawan bila dibandingkan dengan gelar kebangsawanan yg lain. Dan Duke Irlandia yg kebetulan datang k
Megan
Jul 15, 2013 Megan rated it really liked it
Ƥʋиʏα [Punya Reviews...]
Maura
Typically, I'm a huge fan of anthologies. Yes you sometimes get an underdeveloped story because of page limitations, but sometimes you get just that perfect little romance fixation without reading a 300 page novel. I try to break up reading the stories so I do one a day or something. I expected underdeveloped stories from this one, since it has 5 authors and therefore must squeeze those stories down to 20% of the entire book. But I wasn't too disappointed with these stories.

Cathy Maxwell - The I
Cherie
Oct 17, 2012 Cherie rated it really liked it
I really liked "The Irish Duke". I liked both Roan and Susan. He’s a regular guy who became a duke by default so though he has a military presence, he doesn’t seem overly arrogant from years of ducal training. I liked Susan’s honesty, which Roan also recognized. My only complaint is that the strong attraction they each felt toward each other wasn’t exploited more. They each recognized it, I know. But I would have liked to have felt some passion between them when he proposed. He was sincere but h ...more
Ada
Feb 23, 2012 Ada rated it really liked it
Overall pretty good book, found most of the novellas entertaining although a wish for full stories for some of them.

The Irish Duke - 4/5 I really enjoyed this quick read but wish it were much longer. It would have been immensely satisfying it we got to see both characters outwit each other and more of Susan getting to show up her ungrateful sisters.

The Duke Who Came To Dinner - 3/5 - This just barely made the cut only due to the fact that the love story portion was beautiful. However, the ending
Jessi
"The Irish Duke" by Cathy Maxwell-After creating her business on the fact that an Irish duke is the lowest of the dukes, so who would want to marry him, Susan Rogers is confronted by the Irish Duke himself who sets out to prove that he may be the lowest ranking duke, but he's still a duke.
"The Duke who Came to Dinner" by Elaine Fox-Light touch of ghostliness in this story where Gray Gillam starts out the story naked on a bike (dog stole her clothes while she was skinny-dipping) and ends up makin
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #2.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle / Driven to Distraction / Taken for a Ride
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance (Otherworld Stories)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Nocturnal
  • Death's Excellent Vacation (Sookie Stackhouse #9.5, Night Huntress, #4.5, Sept Dragons #7.5)
  • Mother, Please!: What a Girl Wants / The Road Home / Upstairs, Downstairs
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • Burning Up (Children of the Sea #3.5; Psy-Changeling #0.6; Iron Seas #0.5)
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • Phoenix Noir
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Lords of Desire
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...

The Byrons of Braebourne (5 books)
  • Tempted by His Kiss (The Byrons of Braebourne, #1)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • At the Duke's Pleasure (The Byrons of Braebourne, #3)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • The Bed and the Bachelor (The Byrons of Braeborne, #5)

“I'll miss you forever.'
Blake - Devil To Pay”
16 likes
“Because in the end, the measure of a well-lived life is not titles or riches. It’s not even measured by the people we please, especially at the cost of our own souls. No, the true measure of a well-lived life is how well we love…and how well we are loved in return.” 9 likes