Four Dukes and a Devil

Four Dukes and a Devil (Night Huntress Universe #3.5)

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  1,643 ratings  ·  138 reviews
Fall in love with the unpredictable and irresistible dukes (and one dog named Duke) of Four Dukes and a Devil. Join New York Times bestselling authors Cathy Maxwell, Jeaniene Frost, and Tracy Anne Warren, along with USA Today bestselling author Elaine Fox and RITA Award winner Sophia Nash, for tales of noble danger and devilish desire.

Delicate young ladies must be protecte...more
Published June 30th 2009 by Avon

To ask other readers questions about Four Dukes and a Devil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Four Dukes and a Devil

Julie (jjmachshev)
Three and a half stars for "Four Dukes and a Devil", an anthology from Avon romance authors Cathy Maxwell, Elaine Fox, Jeaniene Frost, Sophia Nash, and Tracy Anne Warren. The best thing about this anthology is its mix of contemporary and historical, racy and sweet, and both vanilla and paranormal settings. Something for everyone.

The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell spins a tale of a penniless noblewoman who turns to match-making to support herself. When one of her best selling 'hooks' adversely affec...more
Beanbag Love
I bought this for the Jeaniene Frost story. I liked it, but there was an obvious solution to the overriding dilemma that was never brought up and I think that was lame. Still, Frost is a good story teller and I enjoyed it, particularly knowing that some of the details are pertinent to Spade's upcoming book. So ... even though he never makes an appearance, I thought about Spade a lot and how can I complain about that?

The other stories were mostly regencies. I'm not sure how this anthology was put...more
FlibBityFLooB
I decided to break this anthology down by story in my review:

Devil to Pay(Jeaniene Frost):
A parnormal short story. Jeaniene Frost’s Night Huntress series is one of my favorites. She is actually the reason I had picked out this anthology to begin with because I saw her name on the book. I was not expecting this story to be a spin-off from Night Huntress… nobody had told me that Mencheres, Bones, and Cat would be in this book, albeit in minor roles as secondary characters. I would guess that this...more
Jim son of Jim (formerly PhotoJim)
I bought this anthology for the Cat and Bones short story. Unfortunately, it is not alone. First there is the story for which I bought this. It's not bad, but not exactly consistent with the Night Huntress world. Didn't we just recently get a story about demon blood/vampire drug? All in all, it didn't really add much to the Night Huntress world/story. But still it was certainly a decent read. *** for the Frost story.

But there are four non-paranormal stories (well, three and a half) matched with...more
Viohlet
Cathy Maxwell - The Irish Duke: 4/5
Elaine Fox - The Duke Who Came to Dinner: 3/5
Jeaniene Frost - Devil to Pay: 3.5/5
Sophia Nash - Catch of the Century: 3.5./5
Tracy Anne Warren - Charmed By Her Smile: 4/5

***

I loved 'The Irish Duke' It was witty, and humourous, and dude I was totally close to tears by the end. I do wish more pages had been to allocated this novella though, as I liked it more than some of the others.
The main characters were great, but every other person in the story just pissed me...more
Kathy Davie
Series: Irish Duke (part of Cameron Sisters??)

Duke Who Came to Dinner (part of Guys & Dogs??)

Devil to Pay (Vampire Huntress, 3.5)

Catch of the Century (Widows Club, 3.5)

Charmed by Her Smile Byrons of Braebourne, 2.5)

This anthology consists of three normal historical romances and two paranormal romances.

Cathy Maxwell's Irish Duke was a bit simple but cute in spite of the incongruities sprinkled throughout with the trouble Miss Susan Rogers causes Roan Gillray, fourth Duke of Killeigh. Orphan...more
Holly
I only read the Jeaniene Frost story, Devil To Pay.

Bones and Cat make only a brief appearance. Most of this book centers around a vampire named Elise, Mencheres, and a demon possessed human male named Blake. And it was sad! Very sweet and very sad! * sniffle* but of course since this is a romance story there's a happy ending to sigh over. I wish there could have been a wee bit more to the ending though.
Ann aka Iftcan
This was a collection of 5 short stories. I decided that each story was worth 1 star, either it got it or it didn't. As you can see--only 2 of the stories were what I considered "worth while." The Jeanine Frost story was good--it was part of the Cat and Bones series, so you did need at least some knowledge of the series to appreciate it. The second story that I really enjoyed was the story by Sophia Nash. It too was part of a series, one that I think that I'm going to have to check out. It was f...more
Lynsey A
I only read the Jeanine Frost story. It was enjoyable although nothing to write home about. It was so short there wasn't much to do with it. There was one really beautiful scene I loved:

"I know this makes no sense, since we've only known each other less than a week, but Blake...if I could spend the rest of my life with just one person, it would be you," she whispered.

Blake pulled away. Looked at her face and saw the naked vulnerability, emotion, and need there. He smiled, brushing back a strand
Aimee
I read this one just for the Jeaniene Frost story. I really liked it. The one problem I had with it...and it's the same problem I have with all short stories...is that it's too short (state the obvious, I know). But it doesn't give enough time to bond with the characters properly. Although, I must say, given the length of the story, the characters were surprisingly well fleshed out.

The other stories were entertaining as well. Enough to keep my reading, at least. I got a sample of some new autho...more
Tasha Turner
I enjoyed all the stories in this anthology. Of course the one by Jeaniene Frost a Cat and Bones short was my favorite and the only paranormal of the bunch. One story had what I considered an inappropriate explicit sex scene for its genre but the rest of the story was great. Each story had well fleshed out characters, humor, romance, strong women, and felt complete, not rushed.
Nicole
DEVIL TO PAY by Jeaniene Frost

Elise & Blake . . .

Bones & Cat made a very short appearance - but this novella is focused on Elise & the demon-possessed Blake - with Mancheres playing a bigger role than Cats & Bones.

Blake's dilemma is that he's possessed by demon Xaphan. Elise is determined to save Blake - and needed Mancheres' help in the process . . .

This is a good short read. But I somehow hoped to read more . . .

Overall: 3.5 stars.
Donna
5. I read Charmed by Her Smile by Tracy Anne Warren first, since I will be meeting the author soon. I enjoyed it. I'm not a big fan of historic, because of the way women are potrayed. The heroine in this story is so much her own person, you can't help but enjoy it. India and Quentin are good together. 3.5 stars.
1. The Irish Duke by Cathy Maxwell. Although the story is well written, I did not enjoy it much. I understand that these are short stories, but this did not focus on the relationship enou...more
Maura
Typically, I'm a huge fan of anthologies. Yes you sometimes get an underdeveloped story because of page limitations, but sometimes you get just that perfect little romance fixation without reading a 300 page novel. I try to break up reading the stories so I do one a day or something. I expected underdeveloped stories from this one, since it has 5 authors and therefore must squeeze those stories down to 20% of the entire book. But I wasn't too disappointed with these stories.

Cathy Maxwell - The I...more
Marie
Bintang 3.
Kumpulan lima cerita pendek yg lumayan bagus.

THE IRISH DUKE
Miss Susan Rogers harus mempertanggung jawabkan omongannya yg berkesan negatif dan berbau iklan tentang Duke Irlandia agar posisinya sebagai pendamping gadis gadis kalangan bangsawan menjadi lebih mapan dan banyak yg menggunakan jasanya. Tetapi seorang duke tetaplah duke dengan segala kedudukan dan keistimewaannya di kalangan bangsawan bila dibandingkan dengan gelar kebangsawanan yg lain. Dan Duke Irlandia yg kebetulan datang k...more
Amy
First off, this anthology mixes genres - 3 regencies, 1 contemporary, and 1 paranormal. I hate that, as I typically only read historical romances.

The only story that was at all memorable was "The Catch of the Century," by Sophia Nash. That probably would get at least 3 stars, but even so, she had too many cameo appearances from characters in her other novels.
♥The Kat's Meow♥
Cute book, Quick, fun read.
Jessi
"The Irish Duke" by Cathy Maxwell-After creating her business on the fact that an Irish duke is the lowest of the dukes, so who would want to marry him, Susan Rogers is confronted by the Irish Duke himself who sets out to prove that he may be the lowest ranking duke, but he's still a duke.
"The Duke who Came to Dinner" by Elaine Fox-Light touch of ghostliness in this story where Gray Gillam starts out the story naked on a bike (dog stole her clothes while she was skinny-dipping) and ends up makin...more
Eileen
The first story, The IRish Duke, it isn't bad. However, you may like it. It had good characters and a good storyline. I just don't like anything set that far back. Stagecoaches and classes. Yuck. But other than that it was good.
The second story, The Duke who came to dinner. It was short but good. It hought it was funny and very cute. Although, it was left open at the end. Other than that, it was a good story with great characters and a good storyline.
The third story,Devil to Pay. It was...... in...more
♥ Sarah ♥
Overall: (3.5 stars)
This is a really strange mix of stories. There's three historical romances, one contemporary romance, and one paranormal romance in this collection. It just seems like a really weird mix considering most anthologies try to stick to a certain genre. What's funny is that paranormal romance is my favorite genre in general, but that story was my least favorite in this collection. Also, I'm not a big fan of contemporary romance, but I found that was my favorite in this anthology....more
.þµŋψà. [Punya Reviews...]
Barbara
This was a fantastic anthology with stories by several very familiar authors and a few authors I hadn't read before. I enjoyed all five of the stories a lot, especially Jeaniene Frost's vampire tale.

The Irish Duke - Cathy Maxwell: Susan Rogers has warned everyone in London about The Irish Duke in order to get more clients for her business of shepherding young ladies through the season. When the actual Irish Duke shows up, irate because all the young ladies are avoiding him, he and Susan butt hea...more
Ada
Overall pretty good book, found most of the novellas entertaining although a wish for full stories for some of them.

The Irish Duke - 4/5 I really enjoyed this quick read but wish it were much longer. It would have been immensely satisfying it we got to see both characters outwit each other and more of Susan getting to show up her ungrateful sisters.

The Duke Who Came To Dinner - 3/5 - This just barely made the cut only due to the fact that the love story portion was beautiful. However, the ending...more
Carrie Olguin
DNF.

This is a collection of short stories, a mix of historical, contemporary and paranormal.

I read the first short called the Irish Duke which seemed to have potential. But like most short stories, the plot is simple and character development minimal. I did not believe in the speed in which the couple meet and fall in love within two weeks.

I read a few chapter of the next short contemporary (the duke is a dog named Duke). Nothing special about the characters or the plot, not enough to emotionall...more
Kelly22

The following review is for Tracy Anne Warren's "Charmed By Her Smile" only.

This one was a very neat and clean short read. It was one of those fluffy love stories that bring a sweet smile in your face which lingers as long as you read it!

India Byron is the cousin of Edward Byron, Duke of Clybourne (his story can be visited in At the Duke's Pleasure) and is troubled by an exasperating suitor’s relentless perusal. She wishes nothing but to get rid of him and is desperate to do anything to confirm...more
Elizabeth
I am a huge fan of the Night Huntress series. I read this book because of the Jeanine Frost story, “Devil to Pay,” so that is what I will be focusing on in this review.

Out of all of the Night Huntress short stories that I have read, this is my least favorite for the reason that it didn’t focus on Cat and/or Bones. It is definitely a Night Huntress World story rather than a Night Huntress one. That being said, it’s not a bad story, and I did find it an entertaining read. It didn’t add any import...more
Megan
Cherie Jensen
I really liked "The Irish Duke". I liked both Roan and Susan. He’s a regular guy who became a duke by default so though he has a military presence, he doesn’t seem overly arrogant from years of ducal training. I liked Susan’s honesty, which Roan also recognized. My only complaint is that the strong attraction they each felt toward each other wasn’t exploited more. They each recognized it, I know. But I would have liked to have felt some passion between them when he proposed. He was sincere but h...more
K
Jan 14, 2012 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of romance
Recommended to K by: found on author's website
I must admit, although I was familiar w/ some of the other authors, I only initially read this book for Frost's HN world short story. However, I was pleasantly suprised to find that I enjoyed most of the other stories as well. Overall, I found all the stories fun, easy, enjoyable reads that def left my hopelessly romantic heart satisfied. One of the things I love about these types of books is the chance to read and find other authors, which I did I might add. The only drawbacks for me was I wish...more
Shannon
Easy Reading - all with the basic concept of falling in love.

Four of the Five stories in this short story compilation are general romance and one is Paranormal-Romance.

I bought this book solely because of the Jeaniene Frost novella - which was stellar as usual. Instead of a novella of the Night Huntress series, it was a novella of the Night Huntress World series (Mencheres).

All the other stories were 'nice' reads. The ones written by Cathy Maxwell, Sophia Nash and Tracy Anne Warren were all peri...more
  • Weddings from Hell (Night Huntress, #1.5; Brotherhood of Blood, #3.5; Nicki Styx, #2.5)
  • Unbound (The Hollows, #7.5; Night Huntress, #0.5; Sign of the Zodiac, #4.5; Dark Days, #0.6)
  • Haunted by Your Touch  (Doomsday Brethren #3.5, Moon Chasers, #4.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Paranormal Romance
  • Death's Excellent Vacation (Sookie Stackhouse #9.5, Night Huntress - Complete World #4.5, Aisling Grey: Guardian #4.5)
  • Huntress (Cin Craven #3.5, Black London #1.5)
  • Nocturnal
  • First Blood (Includes: Laws Of The Blood, #5.5; Vegas Vampires, #5; Vampire Babylon, #2.5; The Guardians, #3.5)
  • Wicked Delights of a Bridal Bed (The Byrons of Braebourne, #4)
  • Mother, Please!
  • Nature Of The Beast (MacNachton Vampires, #5)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
  • Inked (World of the Lupi, #4.7)
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, Anthology 2)
  • Lords of Desire
  • Velvet, Leather & Lace: A Man's Gotta Do/Calling the Shots/Baring It All
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • A Highlander Christmas
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters, #3) Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5) The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)

“I'll miss you forever.'
Blake - Devil To Pay”
16 likes
“Because in the end, the measure of a well-lived life is not titles or riches. It’s not even measured by the people we please, especially at the cost of our own souls. No, the true measure of a well-lived life is how well we love…and how well we are loved in return.” 7 likes