The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)

The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory #11)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,564 ratings  ·  71 reviews
In a riveting new novel of psychological suspense, Stephen White shines a brilliant light on the darkness that hides just beneath the surface of ordinary lives, on the fears that cripple us and the prisons we create --prisons of the body, mind, and spirit. A thriller of runaway tension, taps into our most closely guarded fears, taking us on a harrowing journey into a realm...more
Published February 4th 2003 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2003)

Kat
This author has evolved so greatly from his inital offerings. This was a sophisticated work, suspenseful and riveting from beginning to end. My only negative observation is that even after reading numerous books revolving around the main character, Alan Gregory, I still don't feel "invested" in him...he is instrumental in advancing the plot, however I don't feel that I know him as a person, unlike the main character in many series such as these.
Terri
It should be obvious that I like this particular series. However, this book started a little bit slowly for me. I also thought at first that I must have misunderstood the designation of the book because the main character seemed to be an FBI agent named Kelda James. While I did enjoy the novel, I did not find her character satisfactorily believable. I think there is a tendency with some authors who write a long and successful series to start playing around with different points-of-view so that s...more
Jan Larkey
The Best Revenge by Stephen White

Is punishing a killer by killing the killer justified by either our state or federal judicial systems? What is adequate punishment for a heinous crime?

Stephen White, a clinical psychologist, takes the reader though a gripping story of revenge told from several points of view: a law officer, a psychologist, a relative of a victim and a death row inmate. Spellbinding, White’s story makes the reader ponder the answer to several questions: Is capital punishment just...more
Marca
Tom Clone is released from Death Row and picked up by an FBI agent Kelda James. Tom insists he did not murder a young woman he was dating years ago and Kelda found DNA evidence that suggests he is innocent. Trouble is, the police officers who put Tom in prison do not think he should be out; they believe he is guilty. Things start going wrong for Tom and those police officers always seem to be around. Kelda tries to help. She refers Tom to psychologist Alan Gregory (the continuing character). Ala...more
Beth
A man is released from prison after he spent 13 years on death row for a murder he didn’t commit. Or did he? Throughout, Stephen White’s The Best Revenge, it seems so, then it seems not, then it seems so, etc. And you’ll keep changing your mind as you try to pick up the clues.

I found, though, I missed plenty of clues when I thought White was just giving background at the beginning of the book. Read it carefully.

Someone is making life miserable for the ex-con. Or are they? Why is an FBI agent i...more
Jodi
This has a remarkably complex plot involving people who end up doing the right thing accidentally and all for the wrong reasons. An FBI agent, already lauded as a hero for the rescue of a kidnapped child, finds the critical evidence that exonerates a murderer on death row. She even recommends to him her own therapist, Alan Gregory, for after 13 years on death row he's going to need help adjusting. Kelda has her own problems, pain in her legs that her neurologist has begun to think might be psych...more
Anna
I had no idea that this book was a series, and if you were looking for a quick thriller to read, you probably wouldn't notice that this is the eleventh book featuring Dr. Alan Gregory, a psychologist. (Signs of previous Dr. Alan Gregory adventures include the dawn of his professional burnout and the occasional mention of a patient's death, which in that case, you can thank God that there are ten books to guess which ending was ruined). To my surprise, the book started off exciting and strong, an...more
Kate Harding
This was one of those books I grabbed off the shelves at the library when I was looking for a quick read and I didn't have time to do anything but look at spines because I had an anxious 3 year old and a crying 1 year old with me. I had no idea it was a book in a series, nor did I while reading it, which I always think is a good thing - that a new reader can pick it up anywhere with a modicum of background information. As quick, fun reads go, this fit both of those requirements and had the added...more
Stacy
A new author for me, but one I will read again. I had found this paperback at a library sale, and picked it up to try. Except for some periodic spurts of bad language (f-word being the main one), this was a really good read. The main characters are a psychologist, Dr Alan Gregory (who apparently is common to several books by this author), a female FBI agent named Kelda James and a man released from death row in Colorado, Tom Clone. The plot bobs and weaves and leaves you guessing at a few points...more
AJ
There's a certain level of given suspension of disbelief when it comes to crime thrillers. That's the nature of the genre. This book started out at an acceptable level, but took a swan dive from innocent-accused-murderer and tormented-FBI-agent into a place where the plot twists were less twist-y and completely nonsensical. Big reveals only work if you can go back and see how the reveal is consistent with what's already been said and the shocker moments in here were reaching head scratchers rath...more
Tatiana Campos
Definitely a page turner. The prologue was especially great at drawing me in as the reader. The first few chapters were a bit slower paced than what drew me in at first, but once you get into it, you don’t notice it as much. And it picks up as you delve further into the book :D

There were A LOT of unexpected twists and turns that I really never saw coming! And that’s always a bonus for me. I love to guess and none of my guesses came close! I love being wrong in thrillers!

Really a fun read and I’d...more
Melissa
I really liked this one. I didn't think that I was going to. In fact, from the start of the book, I thought that the story was not a Dr. Gregory story. It caught me off guard when a few chapters into the book he popped up as the main character!

I liked how White in this book when back and forth telling the story of the present mixed in with the story of the past. Normal this literary devise bugs me but for some reason, it didn't in this book. A good one of his with a great mix of detecting and p...more
PWRL
Jul 10, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read
O
Lynda  Gager
I enjoyed reading The Best Revenge. Good suspense, great storytelling and very interesting characters kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end! I can't wait to find more books by Stephen White.

An added bonus for me: the story is set in my current home state, Colorado, which made it even more fun for me to read with towns and other locations that I'm familiar with.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a real page-turner and a surprise ending!
I found this story pretty thrilling and there's some seriously twisted stuff that comes from one of the characters. This story held my interest and I blazed through the chapters pretty quickly, but my only complaint is that it runs long in some areas. I wasn't interested in the many geography lessons and weather lessons of Colorado, but if you skim over that, you will enjoy the rest of the pace of this story. I will definitely read more of Mr. White's books. :)
Jill Manske
Starting a new Stephen White novel is like getting together with old friends. His characters are so alive, you'd think they could walk right out of the pages. This particular book was very intriguing. Just when you think you have it figured out, there's another plot twist. I also appreciate the complex relationships among characters. This book causes you consider ethical, moral and legal issues at the basis of the story. Very well done!
Jennie
This was the first Stephen White book I have ever read. Soon realized that the psychologist Alan Gregory is the character in many prior S. White books. I did not feel that I missed out on the story by nothing having prior knowledge of his character.
The book is a fast read, and it is easy to get into. Sometimes the details about Colorado get too lengthy. Storyline has some twists that keep you interested.
Ed
#11 in the Alan Gregory series.

Alan Gregory series - FBI agent Kelda James' latest triumph is the discovery of evidence that exonerates death-row inmate Tom Clone. Kelda picks up the released prisoner and the two of them develop a closeness. Kelda recommends Dr. Allan Gregory to Tom to help sort out issues. Not everyone is convinced the evidence proves Tom's innocence. Who is seeking revenge?
Skyqueen
There were a lot of ironies in this book starting with the title "The BEST Revenge". A lot to consider there.
J.W. Thompson
Everyone has secrets and FBI agent Kelda James is no different. Starting her career off as a hero by saving a kidnapped girl, she builds a successful career on that legacy. Now she is taught a leason about fear. Her own and that of others.

This is an excellent book that explores the nature of human secrets.
Mary
I like the Alan Gregory series, White keeps you guessin and I esp enjoy the local references being formerly from Boulder, CO myself. This story of a innocent man finally being released from prison was interesting and all the characters and their various physchologies were well thought out and believeable.
Jmcrossfl
Not one of his most interesting books, sadly.
Ruthiella
This book started off well, but ultimately wasn't very good. I put it in on my "mystery" goodreads shelf, but I think it was really more a "thriller", because there wasn't any mystery that was solved by clues or detection. The whole book unraveles at the end with ridiculous plot twists.
Xochitl Alvarez
So much better than I expected. Just when I was ready to put it down, the plot thickens and mysteries unravel. I spent the rest of the night finishing the book while my neighbors partied outside. I cemented my place as the nerdy chick who does nothing but read most nights :-p
Suep
White's work is definitely suspenseful. This is my second White book and I enjoyed both very much. Once again, I didn't know the outcome until it occurred; many twists and turns. It's a quicjk read, not deep or requiring a dictionary to get through. A good read.
Shonna Froebel
Several twists and turns that lead to a climactic ending that challenged believability.
Moral questions.
Ann
The first Stephen White book I read was Warning Signs, which I very much enjoyed. Then I read Blinded (not so great), but I'm glad I went on to read The Best Revenge. The plot was compelling, the writing crisp and witty, the characters interesting.
Hayseed
Nov 04, 2007 Hayseed rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: murder mystery lovers
Read his books in order, I found my first one on the new books shelf, and started in the middle, something I unfortunately do alot, they are worth reading from the beginning, and the continuity makes them more enjoyable. This book was a fast read
Tfox100
I really liked this book. I just picked it off the shelf, not knowing anything about it or the author. It was a really great suspense book. There were some words in it that I had to skip over, though. But I did really like the story.
mairywo
Very engaging thriller. It's refreshing that it is set in Colorado instead of California, New York, Chicago... like most thrillers. And it only adds to the enjoyment that I know and love that corner of Colorado.
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • Unfit to Practice
  • Killer Ambition (Rachel Knight, #3)
  • Cut and Run
  • Chasing Midnight (Doc Ford,  #19)
  • Flawless
  • White Ginger
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • Suitable for Framing (Britt Montero, #3)
  • Murder Suicide (Frank Clevenger, #5)
  • The Night Spider (Night #3)
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Boundary Waters (Cork O'Connor, #2)
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6, #7)
  • Ice Trap
20950

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y...more
More about Stephen White...
Kill Me (Alan Gregory, #14) Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1) Missing Persons (Alan Gregory, #13) Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2) Dry Ice (Alan Gregory #15)