Start by marking “The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)” as Want to Read:
The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory, #11)

The Best Revenge (Alan Gregory #11)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,883 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the brutal murder of a young woman 13 years ago, Tom Clone is declared innocent thanks to new evidence. When psychologist Alan Gregory is called in to ease Tom's return to life beyond bars, the young man's treatment will become one of the darkest, most menacing cases of Alan's career.
Published February 4th 2003 by Delacorte Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Revenge

This author has evolved so greatly from his inital offerings. This was a sophisticated work, suspenseful and riveting from beginning to end. My only negative observation is that even after reading numerous books revolving around the main character, Alan Gregory, I still don't feel "invested" in him...he is instrumental in advancing the plot, however I don't feel that I know him as a person, unlike the main character in many series such as these.
It should be obvious that I like this particular series. However, this book started a little bit slowly for me. I also thought at first that I must have misunderstood the designation of the book because the main character seemed to be an FBI agent named Kelda James. While I did enjoy the novel, I did not find her character satisfactorily believable. I think there is a tendency with some authors who write a long and successful series to start playing around with different points-of-view so that s ...more
Alan finds himself in a strange plot to take revenge on a recently released deathrow inmate. It was really hard to figure out who the bad guys were in this one. Great book.
Joseph M. O'Connor
It's OK. I guess.

Here's the problem with this book, as I see it. Two problems, actually. First, all the self-deliberation that Dr. Alan Gregory goes through gets really, really tiresome. When an ethical question, or a confidentiality dilemma surfaces, debate it. Once. Then move on. Page after page of self-doubt and self-flagellation does nothing to help the story.

Second -and this may give the plot away - NO WAY is an agent with Kelda James physical limitations, drug dependency and psychological
4.5 Stars
Until now, this the best White novel that I've read (listened to). It's by far faster-paced than the others n the series and the split protagonist gives the series a breath of fresh air.

This reads a lot more like a thriller than others and is well-written using even more of Boulder's surrounding area as a main character. There are a few twists along the way, and once you get accustomed to the staggered time line it's a 'page turner' for sure.

The main FBI agent whom half the book is fo
Jasmine Belarmino
This book was so good. I loved it personally because it is a book of mystery and suspense. Two of the best genres I love together and since I only read these kind of books I can read them all day. It gives you a kind of feel like you want to stop reading but gives you that suspense to make you keep reading. It is the most thrilling, mysterious, and suspenseful reading that Ive done in a really long time. I give this book a 5 star rating. It got me to that spot in the book where I put myself in t ...more
Jan Larkey
The Best Revenge by Stephen White

Is punishing a killer by killing the killer justified by either our state or federal judicial systems? What is adequate punishment for a heinous crime?

Stephen White, a clinical psychologist, takes the reader though a gripping story of revenge told from several points of view: a law officer, a psychologist, a relative of a victim and a death row inmate. Spellbinding, White’s story makes the reader ponder the answer to several questions: Is capital punishment just
Barbara Elsborg
So many twists and turns you can bend yourself inside out trying to keep up, but I did like the story. I felt so sorry for Tom. In prison for 13 years for a murder he didn't commit - finally he's proved innocent and his real nightmare is only just beginning. I like to read stories set in Boulder - where my son spent a year at University - I can remember many of the roads White describes. Luckily I never met any of the psychos! It's a fast paced story, an enjoyable and as a study in how far someo ...more
Tom Clone is released from Death Row and picked up by an FBI agent Kelda James. Tom insists he did not murder a young woman he was dating years ago and Kelda found DNA evidence that suggests he is innocent. Trouble is, the police officers who put Tom in prison do not think he should be out; they believe he is guilty. Things start going wrong for Tom and those police officers always seem to be around. Kelda tries to help. She refers Tom to psychologist Alan Gregory (the continuing character). Ala ...more
A man is released from prison after he spent 13 years on death row for a murder he didn’t commit. Or did he? Throughout, Stephen White’s The Best Revenge, it seems so, then it seems not, then it seems so, etc. And you’ll keep changing your mind as you try to pick up the clues.

I found, though, I missed plenty of clues when I thought White was just giving background at the beginning of the book. Read it carefully.

Someone is making life miserable for the ex-con. Or are they? Why is an FBI agent i
This has a remarkably complex plot involving people who end up doing the right thing accidentally and all for the wrong reasons. An FBI agent, already lauded as a hero for the rescue of a kidnapped child, finds the critical evidence that exonerates a murderer on death row. She even recommends to him her own therapist, Alan Gregory, for after 13 years on death row he's going to need help adjusting. Kelda has her own problems, pain in her legs that her neurologist has begun to think might be psych ...more
I had no idea that this book was a series, and if you were looking for a quick thriller to read, you probably wouldn't notice that this is the eleventh book featuring Dr. Alan Gregory, a psychologist. (Signs of previous Dr. Alan Gregory adventures include the dawn of his professional burnout and the occasional mention of a patient's death, which in that case, you can thank God that there are ten books to guess which ending was ruined). To my surprise, the book started off exciting and strong, an ...more
There were a lot of elements which ended up being connected in this book. A convicted felon is released, only to be accused yet again--Tom Clone. A woman FBI agent named Kelda suffers from debilitating pain in her legs, but rescued a young girl from a kidnapper. Did Tom kill Kelda's friend in Hawaii? Did she frame Tom originally? Alan Gregory falls over his dog and breaks his arms so he can't drive his new car. How do they all come together?
I didn't realize this was a series, so that was good, that you can pick it up anywhere. Loved the concept. FBI agent owes a lawyer a favor and picks up a wrongly accused man released from prison. Or was he wrongly accused, maybe he is a murderer? Many twists and turns, fast paced interesting read. Look forward to reading more of this series!
Barbara Walsh
There's lots of suspense in this book and several twists and turns. I reached a point in the book where I could not put it down until I finished it. The author knows how to tell a tale and share just enough of the main character's personal life (Alan Gregory) to keep it interesting. I really enjoy books by this author!
Kate Harding
This was one of those books I grabbed off the shelves at the library when I was looking for a quick read and I didn't have time to do anything but look at spines because I had an anxious 3 year old and a crying 1 year old with me. I had no idea it was a book in a series, nor did I while reading it, which I always think is a good thing - that a new reader can pick it up anywhere with a modicum of background information. As quick, fun reads go, this fit both of those requirements and had the added ...more
Linda Tucker
I did not enjoy this book. I had to keep going back through pages read to figure out who was "first-personing" each chapter. The plot was pretty ludicrous and the characters were cardboard. Just not my cup of tea.
A new author for me, but one I will read again. I had found this paperback at a library sale, and picked it up to try. Except for some periodic spurts of bad language (f-word being the main one), this was a really good read. The main characters are a psychologist, Dr Alan Gregory (who apparently is common to several books by this author), a female FBI agent named Kelda James and a man released from death row in Colorado, Tom Clone. The plot bobs and weaves and leaves you guessing at a few points ...more
Helene Slowik
Plot based on assumptions, not facts. Not believable - but reveals much about the dead girl - too far fetched.
There's a certain level of given suspension of disbelief when it comes to crime thrillers. That's the nature of the genre. This book started out at an acceptable level, but took a swan dive from innocent-accused-murderer and tormented-FBI-agent into a place where the plot twists were less twist-y and completely nonsensical. Big reveals only work if you can go back and see how the reveal is consistent with what's already been said and the shocker moments in here were reaching head scratchers rath ...more
Fred Carrico
I would rate this book 3 1/2 stars. Good mystery, interesting characters.
Tatiana Campos
Definitely a page turner. The prologue was especially great at drawing me in as the reader. The first few chapters were a bit slower paced than what drew me in at first, but once you get into it, you don’t notice it as much. And it picks up as you delve further into the book :D

There were A LOT of unexpected twists and turns that I really never saw coming! And that’s always a bonus for me. I love to guess and none of my guesses came close! I love being wrong in thrillers!

Really a fun read and I’d
I really liked this one. I didn't think that I was going to. In fact, from the start of the book, I thought that the story was not a Dr. Gregory story. It caught me off guard when a few chapters into the book he popped up as the main character!

I liked how White in this book when back and forth telling the story of the present mixed in with the story of the past. Normal this literary devise bugs me but for some reason, it didn't in this book. A good one of his with a great mix of detecting and p
Rebecca Ashley
I have never read any books from this author before but needless to say I will be reading more! although it was a little slow starting once you are a short way in it gets you gripped
Lynda  Gager
I enjoyed reading The Best Revenge. Good suspense, great storytelling and very interesting characters kept me on the edge of my seat until the very end! I can't wait to find more books by Stephen White.

An added bonus for me: the story is set in my current home state, Colorado, which made it even more fun for me to read with towns and other locations that I'm familiar with.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a real page-turner and a surprise ending!
I found this story pretty thrilling and there's some seriously twisted stuff that comes from one of the characters. This story held my interest and I blazed through the chapters pretty quickly, but my only complaint is that it runs long in some areas. I wasn't interested in the many geography lessons and weather lessons of Colorado, but if you skim over that, you will enjoy the rest of the pace of this story. I will definitely read more of Mr. White's books. :)
Jill Manske
Starting a new Stephen White novel is like getting together with old friends. His characters are so alive, you'd think they could walk right out of the pages. This particular book was very intriguing. Just when you think you have it figured out, there's another plot twist. I also appreciate the complex relationships among characters. This book causes you consider ethical, moral and legal issues at the basis of the story. Very well done!
This was the first Stephen White book I have ever read. Soon realized that the psychologist Alan Gregory is the character in many prior S. White books. I did not feel that I missed out on the story by nothing having prior knowledge of his character.
The book is a fast read, and it is easy to get into. Sometimes the details about Colorado get too lengthy. Storyline has some twists that keep you interested.
#11 in the Alan Gregory series.

Alan Gregory series - FBI agent Kelda James' latest triumph is the discovery of evidence that exonerates death-row inmate Tom Clone. Kelda picks up the released prisoner and the two of them develop a closeness. Kelda recommends Dr. Allan Gregory to Tom to help sort out issues. Not everyone is convinced the evidence proves Tom's innocence. Who is seeking revenge?
  • In this Rain
  • Trio for Blunt Instruments (Nero Wolfe, #39)
  • Kanji Pict-o-Graphix: Over 1,000 Japanese Kanji and Kana Mnemonics
  • Unfit to Practice
  • Dead Silence (Doc Ford, #16)
  • Republic (America's Future, #1)
  • Dead Paradise: L.A. Dead / Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #6-7)
  • Cut and Run
  • Bram Stoker's Dracula
  • Die a Stranger (Alex McKnight, #9)
  • The 24th Letter (Sean O'Brien, #2)
  • The Hearing (Dismas Hardy #7)
  • Crime Fraiche (Capucine Culinary Mystery, #2)
  • Cry Mercy (Mercy Street #2)
  • Japanese Grammar
  • Death in the Family (Lloyd & Hill, #12)
  • Absolute Rage (Butch Karp, #14)
  • Bleedout

Stephen White is the author of the New York Times bestselling Alan Gregory novels. In his books, he draws upon over fifteen years of clinical practice as a psychologist to create intriguing plots and complex, believable characters.

Born on Long Island, White grew up in New Y
More about Stephen White...

Alan Gregory (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Privileged Information (Alan Gregory, #1)
  • Private Practices (Alan Gregory, #2)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Remote Control (Alan Gregory, #5)
  • Critical Conditions (Alan Gregory, #6)
  • Manner of Death (Alan Gregory, #7)
  • Cold Case (Alan Gregory, #8)
  • The Program (Alan Gregory, #9)
  • Warning Signs (Alan Gregory, #10)