Start by marking “Anna All Year Round” as Want to Read:
Anna All Year Round

Anna All Year Round

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  57 ratings  ·  5 reviews
With warmth and panache, Mary Downing Hahn renders a fictionalized account of her own mother's Baltimore childhood during the years just before World War I. From eight-year-old Anna's troubles with math to her surprise birthday trick to her triumphant ride in an automobile, each vignette in this charming novel is rich with period detail and resonant with the wonders and wo ...more
Published April 3rd 2001 by HarperTrophy (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Anna All Year Round, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anna All Year Round

Gundula
Oct 21, 2012 Gundula rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children interested in biographical sketches, children interested in historical family stories
Although Anna All Year Round, based on the childhood of author Mary Downing Hahn's own mother, is rather episodic (with not much of a plot and little narrative tension and excitement), the short, descriptive vignettes of early 20th century childhood (in Baltimore, Maryland) are pure delight; they might not be substantial, but they are sweet, caressing, and at the same time historically informative.

Anna all Year Round is basically a year in the life of a girl with both German-American and Anglo-
Catherine
This fictionalized account of Hahn's mother's life us a sweet little book for a younger reader.
Miss Amanda
gr 2-4 128 pgs

1913 Baltimore, Maryland. 8 year old Anna loves her neighborhood, family and friends. Although she is excited about some of the new things that are appearing in her neighborhood like automobiles and birthday parties, she still loves hearing the sound of horse drawn wagons going down the street and roller skating with her best friend Charlie.

Follows Anna's adventures over the course of a year. I would recommend this book to readers who enjoyed "Anna on the Farm"
Shelley
I saw this doing a search for another book, and thought it was one I had loved as a kid. But now, I don't think I ever read it! It's one year in the life of the author's mother, set in 1913. Anna was a whiny brat at times, but it was fun seeing her going through her days as something of a tomboy and her adventures with the trolley ride and town car, etc. Sweet and funny.
Sadie Moore
I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THIS BOOK MARYDOWNING HAHN IS AN GREAT AUTHOR
Lana
Lana marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Gmccs
Gmccs added it
Dec 14, 2014
Hannah Boyd
Hannah Boyd marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Oct 25, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Trinity
Trinity marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Fatima Khan
Fatima Khan marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Molly
Molly marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
Kayleigh Potter
Kayleigh Potter marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Rosalie
Rosalie marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Anna Spaulding
Anna Spaulding marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
I grew up in a small shingled house down at the end of Guilford Road in College Park, Maryland. Our block was loaded with kids my age. We spent hours outdoors playing "Kick the Can" and "Mother, May I" as well as cowboy and outlaw games that usually ended in quarrels about who shot whom. In the summer, we went on day long expeditions into forbidden territory -- the woods on the other side of the t ...more
More about Mary Downing Hahn...
Wait Till Helen Comes Deep and Dark and Dangerous (A Ghost Story) All the Lovely Bad Ones The Old Willis Place The Doll in the Garden