Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes

Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  56 reviews
Six daughters of the South serve up a charming and hilarious collection of original short stories topped with a generous dollop of that most valued of all Southern commodities: good old-fashioned storytelling.

"Poignant and heartwarming...A brilliant compilation of Southern women's stories in the tradition of Anne Rivers Siddons." (Midwest Book Review)

"A sweeter, smooth...more
Published February 5th 2002 by Berkley (first published April 30th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes

Barks & Bites
Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes is a charming collection of stories that range from sweetly sentimental tearjerkers to laugh out loud funny slice-of-life tales. And, best of all, there isn't a dud in the entire bunch. All of the stories were obviously written with love and each is an author's memory of living in the South. The book is broken up into three sections titled: Precious Memories, Family Portraits (wow, do these ladies have some nutty relatives and neighbors!) and Beloved Critters. Being an...more
MissSusie
Sweet Tea & Jesus Shoes By Sandra Chastain, Deborah Smith, Donna Ball, Virginia Ellis, Debra Dixon, Nancy Knight Narrated By Lee Ann Howlett
Length: 4 hrs and 27 mins
This was a cute collection of southern short stories; is it odd that my favorites are the ones about funerals and death. Each story is a unique look at a day in the life of a southern family.

I’m sorry, if I had read this in paper I would have had the name of each story and a little something about each one but since I listened on...more
Kimberly
Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes (Audiobook) is a collection of short southern stories that will soothe your soul and warm your heart. These are just simple, old-fashion stories that you would hear among family or friends; the type of stories that will make you laugh or cry but will always enjoy. I have always enjoyed the writings of southern authors and their ability to tell a good story with plenty of detail and a great deal of heartfelt honesty. And, I wasn't the least bit disappointed with this col...more
Margaret
Apr 01, 2012 Margaret rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Southern Ladies, Northern Ladies, East Cost Ladies, West Coast Ladies
From Amazon:

Come sit on the porch a spell. Let's talk about times gone by and folks we remember, about slow summer evenings and lightning bugs in a jar. Listen to the music of a creaky swing and hand-cranked ice cream and cicadas chorusing in the sultry night air. Let's talk about how things used to be in the South--and for some of us, they way they still are.

Welcome to the world of Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes, where award winning authors Deborah Smith, Sandra Chastain, Virginia Ellis, Debra Dixon...more
Brittney Ross
Read it in a day. Laughed until I cried, learned a few valuable things along the way. Pour a glass of iced tea and grab a chair, you're in for a (short) ride :)
Rrshively
This is a collection of short stories by several southern women authors. It truly brings a flavor of the culture and combines humor and pathos. As a Yankee through and through I was interested in this point of view. I do like sweet tea, but I dislike NASCAR races. It gave insight in areas where I differ from the particular author's point of view, and I found that, yes, I do have things in common with some of the authors. I really enjoy being a keeper of the past whether it be Civil War letters o...more
Louise Sander
Spare me. Another one in the genre of "southerners are all flakes."
Lacey
I loved this collection of Southern short stories. there were so many cute sayings that made me laugh and brought back memories. some of my favorites...

"In the South, it must be understood; you don't marry the woman, you marry the family"

"In the South, insults can be delivered without accountability as long as you preface them with, 'Bless her heart...'"

"After she was gone he learned the power of temporary beauties" (referring to fresh flowers)

if you're a Kindle reader, this is a free download f...more
Nancy Thomas
This book is comprised of a series of unrelated, though similar in their "Southern-ness", short stories by 6 authors. It's an easy and for the most part pleasant read. Some are humorous, some are poignant,and there are a couple that bring tears to your eyes before you chuckle. They are written more in times gone by and I remember many of these traditions, opinions, and ways of thinking from my childhood. It's worth the read though if you didn't grow up in the south, you might need someone to int...more
Michelle
I was drawn to this book because I love the title and was curious to find out what Jesus shoes are.

I enjoyed this book. Some of the stories were funny, especially the one about the mouse, the grandma that made her own Christmas gifts, and the Sweet Tea story. A few of them were slow or kind of weird, but overall I would say it's a nice, easy read for people who are interested in reading about Southern culture.
Eric Wietz
Sweet memories

I enjoyed reading this as it brought back many sweet memories that me and my wife have had over the years.
Maryann Fanning
Fun book about the south! It celebrates the quirks and warmth of the region. I definitely enjoyed it and it took me back to South Carolina.
Karelyn
Hhighly entertaining stories of Southern culture and quirkiness.
Julie
Not as good as I expected being a fan of Southern fiction.
Ashley
This book is a collection of stories from Southern women. They come from Georgia, South Carolina, and Tennessee. Being Southern, I can relate to many of these stories. I loved reading this book and visiting my Southern roots all over again. This book even has several good recipes at the end. It was a good read.
Denise
A satisfying drink of Southern lore, legend, and life, told in varying short stories. Some are better than others, but I really enjoyed every one of these. "Grandma Tells a Tale" really resonated with me. I confess that I probably liked this more than I should have. Nice, homey, sometimes corny, and lots of fun.
Gina
Nov 07, 2010 Gina is currently reading it
Just starting this one. Found it in a used book store in a little town. Inside it was written "Jill, this is a book I really hope you enjoy. I really enjoyed another book these ladies wrote. Love, Mom".
This must have been a special book she wanted to share with her daughter. Love when I find these.
Julie
Put this one on hold to read a couple of others. I'm enjoying the stories though and plan to pick it up again soon.

Picked it up again and put it down again after reading a couple of stories. I'm determined to finish this one but it isn't so good that you can't put it down.

Finally finished!
Tiffany
I love Henry James short stories, but they are a couple hundred pages. These stories were far too short for me to get into, and it was hard for me to see a point to them. I read them all, but even a day later I do not remember even a single story in the book that I read.
Djdee
Loved this book. Good bedtime reading as in short writings. Good for all ages. Puts you firmly in the time period.
Sally Kilpatrick
Where did my review go? Ugh. Okay, so Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes is just the sort of story collection that reminds me of the stories I heard growing up. I can't help but love quirky southern--especially when it reminds me of Granny.
Mary
Charming books about the South...short stories...not two of my favorite things, and yet I loved this book.
Each story is an original. This really is that rare book that makes you laugh and cry; sometimes at the same time.
Wanda
This is a book of stories about our experiences growing up in the South and our quirky relatives. I know or knew someone like those in these stories. It was like reading a book of mostly fond memories.
Betsy
I don't really recommend this book. The stories are cute, but they are a little cheesy. Also, this book apparently was not edited or spell-checked during the publication process. Of course that bothers me!
Marvel
What a charming book!! Short little stories by southern women about the eccentrics and sometimes outlandish customs that make up a true Southerner - life in the south, sweet tea and all.
Eldon
Sixteen short stories with a delicious Southern flavor and a selection of recipes at the end. A good book for Southerners to reminisce and a delightful way for Northerners to "get a clue."
Valerie
Jun 01, 2008 Valerie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Becky
Fabulous book of vignettes about Southern life. Any true Southern will recognize themselves in this book. Moreover, they're going to recognize everyone in their families.
Ann
After just returning from three days in Tennessee...of course I loved this book! I especially liked Grandma Tells a Tale by Donna Ball and Sweet Tea by Debra Dixon.
Kylene
A collection of short stories about the South. Some were better than others. Good for people who are interested in learning more about Southern culture.
Jan
Fun short stories of life in the South. This is a perfect book for traveling; read a story at a time when you can! Has some recipes in the back.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new audiobook 5 152 Sep 19, 2012 02:32PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add new audiobook 5 148 Sep 19, 2012 10:30AM
  • Suck Your Stomach In and Put Some Color On!: What Southern Mamas Tell Their Daughters that the Rest of Y'all Should Know Too
  • The Book of Peach
  • Grits (Girls Raised in the South) Guide to Life
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • Tender Graces
  • Bad Spirits (Kate Jones Thriller, #1-5)
  • Somebody Is Going to Die If Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch That Bouquet: The Official Southern Ladies' Guide to Hosting the Perfect Wedding
  • Flowers for Elvis
Bestselling Author
Co-founder, co-publisher
Vice-president, Editor in Chief
BelleBooks, Memphis, TN

Deborah Smith is the New York Times bestselling author of A Place to Call Home, and the No. 1 Kindle Bestseller The Crossroads Cafe, A Gentle Rain and other acclaimed romantic novels portraying life and love in the modern Appalachian South. A native Georgian, Deborah is a former newspaper editor who tu...more
More about Deborah Smith...
The Crossroads Cafe A Place to Call Home A Gentle Rain On Bear Mountain Sweet Hush