Start by marking “Blue Windows: A Christian Science Childhood” as Want to Read:
Blue Windows: A Christian Science Childhood

Blue Windows: A Christian Science Childhood

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews
From Mary Baker Eddy, the founder of the Church of Christian Science, to Deepak Chopra, Americans have struggled with the connection between health and happiness. Barbara Wilson was taught by her Christian Scientist family that there was no sickness or evil, and that by maintaining this belief she would be protected. But such beliefs were challenged when Wilson's own mothe ...more
Published March 15th 1998 by Picador (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Blue Windows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blue Windows

Anna
I have to admit: I judged this book by its cover and totally put off reading it (it was assigned). But this is not just a memoir. It's a memoir-biography-historical lit-travelogue and more. Wilson does a fine job of balancing her own personal story with the story of Mary Baker Eddy, the history of the Christian Science religion (fascinating), and the stories of others who choose to stay and leave the religion. Super interesting history of our country's transcendentalist/mystical past, our search ...more
Robin
I was raised in Christian Science. I was recently thinking about sexuality, and how the sexuality of a girl raised in Christian Science must be deeply affected by that way of thought. I did a little digging on the internet and this book is what I found.
I am not sure she will talk directly about sexuality, but so far it's an interesting look at some of the religion's roots and how this author feels she was affected by the faith, good or bad.
Barbara
I really liked this book - and I loved parts of it. It's a fine line to combine a painfully heartbreaking memoir with a historical and philosophical perspective and the author finds a good balance. Unique and deeply thought-provoking read.
Silvio111
Barbara Wilson's chronicle of growing up in a Christian Science family, and subsequently finding her way through a painful adolescence in which she loses her mother to mental illness, and must live with a truly "evil stepmother," all the while finding her way to becoming a writer is quite a revelation. Her examination of the family and religious ethic of denial of unpleasantness, placed in the context of the history of Christian Science, joins a familiar genre of the "coming-of-age" story with a ...more
Lisagarden
Melanie
Lucidly written, unflinching. Historically and sociologically attentive, full of compelling characters drawn from life. A slow walk through memory, through madness and its precipitants, to a new understanding of survival. Really an amazing book--I highly recommend it.
Mariana
A good memoir of a childhood tinged with her mother's faith in Christian Science, her insanity and her early death from cancer.
Laurie
Laurie marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Tani
Tani marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2014
Elizabeth Merchant
Elizabeth Merchant marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
Katie Moncelsi
Katie Moncelsi marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2013
Catherine Noordenbos
Catherine Noordenbos is currently reading it
Mar 05, 2013
Mariellen
Mariellen marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2013
Ljbj
Ljbj marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2012
Alexis
Alexis marked it as to-read
May 15, 2012
Most of my life has been spent in the literary arts, as a writer, editor, translator, teacher, and publisher. As a writer, my work has ranged from fiction and mysteries to journalism and creative nonfiction, particularly memoirs and travel narratives.

Some of my best-known works are two mysteries series, one with printer-sleuth Pam Nilsen and one with the translator Cassandra Reilly. These were pu
More about Barbara Sjoholm...
The Palace of the Snow Queen: Winter Travels in Lapland The Pirate Queen: In Search of Grace O'Malley and Other Legendary Women of the Sea Gaudi Afternoon (Cassandra Reilly, #1) Incognito Street: How Travel Made Me a Writer Murder in the Collective (Pam Nilsen, #1)