Crying Freeman, Vol. 1: Portrait of a Killer

Crying Freeman, Vol. 1: Portrait of a Killer (Crying Freeman #1)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  305 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Published March 7th 1996 by Viz Media (first published October 28th 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Crying Freeman, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crying Freeman, Vol. 1

Charles Spencer
Like SAMURAI GIRL, I first saw CRYING FREEMAN in its anime form. A few years ago, I got my mitts on the first two volumes of the manga CRYING FREEMAN published stateside by Dark Horse. The anime streamlined much of the story and made it less complex for viewers in comparison to the manga original, which I can enlighten you to here. For those who don't know the story, mix SCARFACE and THE MANCHURIAN CANDIDATE, add a strong dose of ROMEO AND JULIET, and you'll get a sense of what you're in for!

The...more
Radek
Apr 23, 2012 Radek rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers of low literature.
Recommended to Radek by: Everyone.
Shelves: manga, seinen
Koike Kazuo can come up with a great story. Just read Kozure Ookami or Kubikiri Asa... But don't try to read Crying Freeman, you may be disappointed... at least I was.

Crying Freeman is widely acknowledged as "great manga for adults" and so I expected some... Great manga for adults. But no, Crying Freeman is full of action, brutality, "drama scenes" and nudity... You may thinks that this isn't a bad combination. It isn't but in this piece it's combined so horribly I was really surprised. Simply p...more
Kati
An excellent manga. I knew what would happen in Vol. 1 because I saw the Crying Freeman movie with Mark Dacascos before reading this - the movie is VERY faithful to the manga, BTW - but it didn't take anything away from the story. The manga is also VERY graphic, both the sex and the violence. The story is intriguing and the art simply mind-blowing. I'm taking one star off for the submarine part at the very end, though - that bit was ridiculous and too over the top, IMO.
Nyie Rombeng
I'd called "yakuza cold war",yo himomura is forgotten role play in his character because emu o'hara too dominan with her status as eye witness,I think:(
image yo himomura as "right hand" killer of his organization suddenly missing in him mission,that's weakness factor of crying freeman.
perhaps one of exciting factor is erotic taste & picture of tatoo from their bodies inside it;)
recommended for readers 21+,CONTAINS STRONG NUDITY,VIOLENCE/GORE and DRUGS CONTENT.
Angel
This is the start of what is looking to be a great series. The assassin who cries at the fate of his victims, Yo Hinomura, codename Crying Freeman, is an assassin for the 108 Dragons, the Chinese Mafia. When he leaves a witness alive, a woman he may be falling in love with (more on that later in the tale), things get, shall we say, complicated. This volume shows us how Yo, an artist, becomes the great assassin. The art on this series is very good. The story so far is very engaging and fast paced...more
MischaS_
Jednoduché - chtěla bych umět takhle malovat! Jinak se do dalších dílů asi hodně brzo zase pustím, protože jednoduché cesta jak relaxovat. Ani jsem si nevšimla, jak jsem to stihla dočíst ;)
Peter
The ultimate organized crime manga. Extreme violence not for the sake of violence, but for the sake of caring about the very deep and textured main characters. Freeman is one of the most engaging anti-heros in manga (and there are a LOT of them), where the more horrible acts he has to do as crime lord of the 108 Dragons, the more terrible you feel for him and root for him. Artwise, to me there's no one better than Ikegami Ryuichi. No one. Can't recommend this one more, but its not for the faint...more
Lord
Oct 12, 2008 Lord rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: comics fans
Shelves: manga, thriller
This manga really exceeded my expectations, which were already high. Both story and art are perfect examples of the 20th century manga masterpieces. Besides, Dark Horse gave this book what it deserves. Nice cover, good quality paper, translation and editorial work are flawless. And everything comes in 400 pages for 15 bucks! What's there not to love?
Denicemarcell
bought this at Million Year Picnic for the mature themes. het mature themes. quick read, did it in one day around Arisia (local SF&F con). not all the pages are safe for reading on public transport.
interesting story but not enough to make me buy the other 8 books. nor do i feel the need to keep this book.
Linda
Visually stunning, it also grabbed me emotionally and romantically. I've since collected every comic, as well as the manga DVDs and the motion picture starring Mark Dacascos.

I normally don't read or watch anime, but this one came highly recommended. I'm delighted I tried it.
Holly
Dec 02, 2009 Holly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ninjas, yakuza, & tattoos
Fantastic art,amazing story, incredibly dark story that does not shy away from extremely graphic violence. This story is marital bad guys at their best, some of them are more noble in their own way than others. The tattoos are very well drawn.
Serge Pierro
Another interesting series with artwork by Ryoichi Ikegami. Once again he delivers realistic renderings of his characters and backdrops. Story revolves around the assassin "Crying Freeman" and the Chinese mafia "108 Dragons". NOT for kids!!
Aurelio Ippandoza
Don't know why this odd mafia story was so interesting to me,but had to keep reading through the whole series...great manga!!!!
Stephen
I believe the entire world has the same opinion of this work: It wasn't as good as Sanctuary.
Maria
Excellent art and a very good story. Amazing.
Jim
Great artistry, strange story like many manga.
Daken Howlett
Daken Howlett marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Damien Mitchell
Damien Mitchell marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
Luthena
Luthena marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Fernanda Ribeiro
Fernanda Ribeiro marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Josef
Josef is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Samuel Willett
Samuel Willett marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Alexis Lain
Alexis Lain marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Shade, the Changing Man, Vol. 2: Edge of Vision
  • Ex Machina: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 5
  • PLUTO: Urasawa x Tezuka, Volume 008 (Pluto, #8)
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
  • Gunsmith Cats: Volume 1
  • Battle Angel Alita, Volume 08: Fallen Angel (Battle Angel Alita)
  • 4 A.M. Breakthrough: Unconventional Writing Exercises That Transform Your Fiction
  • Bloody Monday, Tome 1
  • Spider-Woman, Agent of S.W.O.R.D.
  • Yours Ever: People and Their Letters
  • Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind, Vol. 2
  • 名探偵コナン 36 (Detective Conan #36)
Kazuo Koike (小池 一夫, Koike Kazuo) is a prolific Japanese manga writer, novelist and entrepreneur.

Early in Koike's career, he studied under Golgo 13 creator Takao Saito and served as a writer on the series.

Koike, along with artist Goseki Kojima, made the manga Kozure Okami (Lone Wolf and Cub), and Koike also contributed to the scripts for the 1970s film adaptations of the series, which starred famou...more
More about Kazuo Koike...
Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 1: The Assassin's Road (Lone Wolf and Cub, #1) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 2: The Gateless Barrier (Lone Wolf and Cub, #2) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 3: The Flute of the Fallen Tiger (Lone Wolf and Cub, #3) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 4: The Bell Warden (Lone Wolf and Cub, #4) Lone Wolf and Cub, Vol. 5: Black Wind (Lone Wolf and Cub, #5)