Start by marking “Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7)” as Want to Read:
Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner, #7)

Sanctuary Hill (Bay Tanner #7)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  196 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Towering live oaks guard old secrets and powerful forces that even the spirited Bay Tanner can't control. . . .

A freak summer storm has Bay Tanner, sometime private investigator, cooped up with her ailing father at his antebellum mansion near Hilton Head. Desperate for a distraction, Bay recovers a cooler bobbing along on the incoming tide. What she discovers inside will p
Published May 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Sanctuary Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sanctuary Hill

Bailey
Mar 27, 2013 Bailey rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bailey by: Book Club
I just finished this for my book club.

I was of two minds while reading this book. On one hand, I liked her vibrant descriptions of the Lowcountry which brought everything to life on the page, but on the other hand, it almost felt TOO descriptive (as if that's even possible). At times, the heavy description felt oppressive and almost unnecessary. To read every street name, the make and model of every vehicle, the name of every product - it almost began to interrupt the flow for me. The detailed
Brenda
This Bay Tanner novel is darker than the others I have read, your hear jumps in your throat when she opens the cooler and never fully gets out again. This was a good read, read it in a day, was literally up until midnight wondering how it would end.
I almost didn't read it because the inside cover said something about magic and I was praying they weren't going supernatural. While I have no problem with paranormal books, I think we can all agree it would ruin the Bay Tanner series. I only bring t
Denise Dickerson
Pretty light reading...almost too many things going on to keep track. But I still couldn't wait to get back each evening to see where it led. Although I suspected early on, I then forgot my suspicion, the ending was a pleasant surprise.
Leslie Mcguinn
I liked it. I didn't realize it was a part of a series when I began reading it. I will be looking at the library in hopes of reading the rest of the series.
Rebekkila
I can't believe I haven't stumbled across this author before. I assume that she is a local author since her books are set in Beaufort SC, just down the road from Charleston. I would love to read more books in this series. She touched on elements unique to this area that I have heard people mention, but have never experienced personally. Charleston is so steeped in history mainly pre-1900's that I forget sometimes to learn some of the more recent history. This was a really good book.
Nancy
I've done it again, come in on a series in the middle. Bay Tanner is a fledgling private detective in partnership an ex cop and a young man. There's a discovery of a dead baby found floating in a Styrofoam cooler. Bay can't help herself and has to investigate even though she's told to stay out of it. In addition she is asked to investigate the death of a local real estate moguls wife. The results hit Bay hard. I think I may have to read more just to fill in the gaps.
Dee
I didn't realize this was #7 in The Bay Tanner Series until after I had started it.
Those of you know me realize I like to start at the beginning of a series, but I read it anyway.

Now I have to start at the beginning of the series to "catch up". There were several references made about previous incidents; which, of course, I had no knowledge.
Jean Wentz
I haven't read a mystery in a long time. I stumbled across this one in a Little Free Library when I was out for a walk. What attracted me to it was the old African root doctor culture. Is this real, or completely fictional? I am looking forward to doing some research on this subject!
Scottsdale Public Library
Like mysteries? Two mysteries to solve, ancient magic that came from Africa during slave times, and the strong female protagonist, Bay Tanner, make this an exciting and fun read. There are several books in this series and I plan to read them all.

-Radha L.-
Tracey
Oct 16, 2008 Tracey rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes a good mystery/suspense novel
This is the first Bay Tanner mystery I've read, (I think) and I really enjoyed it. Fast-paced enough to keep your interest but not so much that you absolutely cannot put it down. I'm definitely interested in reading the books preceding it in the series!
Amber
I enjoyed the book. The writing was engaging and the setting was very believable. Unfortunately, the characters were somewhat shallow and not particularly likable. There were intriguing elements of southern history that appealed to me in the story.
C. Clark
Kathryn Wall always writes a solid mystery novel. I love how grounded the protagonist is, and who doesn't enjoy beautiful St Helena and Hilton Head in SC? Enjoyed the ending. Enough of a surprise to catch my attention, and I'm hard to stump.
Kim Ryan

Very slow in the beginning I had to fight my way through it. I think I lost interest on the beginning and it was too hard to keep interested. I had to know what happened in the end. I probably won't read the other books.
Deanna
This was soooooo good! I love books that are based in the Lowcountry (AKA home!) and I really liked the mystery in this one. It kept me hanging on and of course ended nothing like I tried to predict it would!
Lisa
I found this book at the library book sale for 50 cents but it gave me much more enjoyment than that. I don't read many mysteries, but this one keeps you guessing.
Denise Ellis
Hints of voodoo, unbelievers and good female detective. Didn't want to put it down!
Kelaine
It was ok. I won't be rushing out to get others in the series.
Catherine Woodman
I like this series--it is good (not great)
Bobbie
Excellent Series !!!
Kaitlin
Kaitlin marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Shane Moore
Shane Moore marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Jerry
Jerry marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2015
  • Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)
  • Southern Living
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)
  • Sweet Tea and Jesus Shoes
  • Leave It to Cleavage
  • The Book of Peach
  • Southern Fried
202917
Kathy wrote her first story at the age of six, then decided to take a few decades off. She grew up in a small town in northeastern Ohio and attended college in both Ohio and Pennsylvania. For twenty-five years she practiced her profession as an accountant in both public and private practice. In 1994 she and her husband Norman retired to Hilton Head, South Carolina.

Her road to publishing success ha
More about Kathryn R. Wall...

Bay Tanner (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1)
  • And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2)
  • Perdition House (Bay Tanner, #3)
  • Judas Island (Bay Tanner, #4)
  • Resurrection Road (Bay Tanner, #5)
  • Bishop's Reach (Bay Tanner, #6)
  • The Mercy Oak (Bay Tanner, #8)
  • Covenant Hall (Bay Tanner, #9)
  • Canaan's Gate (Bay Tanner, #10)
  • Jericho Cay (Bay Tanner, #11)
In for a Penny (Bay Tanner, #1) Perdition House (Bay Tanner, #3) And Not a Penny More (Bay Tanner, #2) Covenant Hall (Bay Tanner, #9) Judas Island (Bay Tanner, #4)