The de Lacy Inheritance

The de Lacy Inheritance

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  61 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Using characters known to recorded history—including one to become the real Sheriff of Nottingham—Elizabeth Ashworth weaves a tale of loves lost and found during the exile of Richard the Lionheart

Richard Fitz-Eustace's return from Palestine is far from joyous. Damned by leprosy, he must bid hisfamily a final and sorrowful farewell and leave his estates at Halton Castle for...more
Published July 14th 2010 by Myrmidon Books Ltd (first published June 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The de Lacy Inheritance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The de Lacy Inheritance

Matched by Ally CondieEmerald Green by Kerstin GierTattered Heart by Annie JacksonPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenA Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn
Green from the Thickest Forest
137th out of 195 books — 131 voters
Switch! The Lost Kingdoms of Karibu by Karen  PrinceA World of Possibility by Christopher  ShieldsBurning Both Ends by Ally ShieldsGalactic Energies by Luca  RossiFire Country by David Estes
Summer Reading List 2013
146th out of 219 books — 146 voters

More lists with this book...

Caz
I’ve had this on my “to read” list for a while, and decided to read it as a change from the steady diet of historical romance in which I’ve been indulging recently.

The de Lacy Inheritance was inspired by the old Lancashire legend of the hermit who lived beneath Cliderhou (Clitheroe) Castle.

The central characters are brother and sister, Richard and Johanna FitzEustace. Richard contracted leprosy during his time on crusade in the Holy Land and has come home to be read the “Mass of Separation”, wh...more
Elizabeth Alger
I grew up on a steady diet of historical novels, but stopped reading them entirely - mainly because, as a teenager, I wanted only to read about Richard III and wore myself out with all the crying. So 'The De Lacy Inheritance' was the first for many years and, I'm pleased to say, I really enjoyed it.

It's a well researched, engrossing read with convincing characters and a satisying ending. I was impressed with the way that the author, skilfully blending fiction and fact, constructed the story from...more
Amy

Being short myself, I’ve always subscribed to the “good things come in small packages” mentality, and now I can apply that to the new novel by Elizabeth Ashworth, The de Lacy Inheritance. At 280 pages this short book packs a powerful and emotional punch that I wasn’t quite expecting!

Richard has just returned home from fighting the infidels in the Crusades, but the homecoming is bittersweet as he has returned with leprosy and as such, must be declared dead by a priest, banished from his childhood...more
Kimberly B.
I'm not sure if The De Lacy Inheritance is supposed to be a YA novel, but it certainly reads like one. Taken as a YA novel, it's wonderful. It reads as either a more complex YA book or as a slightly simplistic adult-fiction story. I was a bit surprised by how much of the book was from Richard's perspective given the cover (I know, I know--never judge a book by it's cover) and by the pervasive religious overtones in his thread of the story. It certainly isn't a bad thing, just a bit surprising. T...more
Leah

I finished reading this book a couple of weeks ago but am only now having time to post my review. However, the book was good enough that it has stayed with me despite my having read six or seven other books since finishing it.

First of all, this book actually feels good to read. I love the binding the publishers used and wish it was used more often. In addition to the excellent content of the book, I kept reading because I enjoyed the feel of the cover. The pages themselves were of a quality of...more
Rosy
I knew very little about this era of history, but the book brought it very much alive. It was interesting to learn about attitudes to disease, too, as well as meeting a cast of fascinating characters, based on real historical figures but re-imagined vividly by the author and placed in a very convincing Lancashire of the period.
Anita
Set in 1192, England, the story begins with the exclusion ceremony of a leper returned from the Crusades in the Holy Land. Richard de Eustace feels his affliction is in some way God’s punishment for his sin of love with a native girl and accepts his fate.

He must take his farewell of his mother, grandmother and sisters, leave his estates at Halton Castle and live out his life as a hermit. He journeys north into the newly named county of Lancashire, his final task but before he leaves, his grandmo...more
Tara Chevrestt
This is a decent YA historical novel. It's a bit of an overdone tale.. girl in medieval England is shut up in a castle after she attempts to run away to avoid be married off to an old man with a wart. However, there is a unique twist to this as the heroine's brother is a leper and a hermit who tries to save her from her unhappy fate.

I liked the heroine enough. Though she had her damsel in distress moments, she also had moments when she donned boy's clothes and forged rivers on her trusty steed....more
Elizabeth
I know very little about this in English history period and thought the author brought it vividly to life in The De Lacy Inheritance.

It had well-drawn characters and an intriguing plot, with poignant moments and a satisfying ending. And the afterword was fascinating, showing how skillfully Elizabeth Ashworth blended fact and fiction.

A highly recommended read!
Amanda Jane
Being a Lancashire Lass this was heaven to read. I looked at the settings and thought, 'Oh yes I've been there ! "

The story's gripping and carried me from beginning to end.
Lisa Shears
A really really good read. This book starts off quite sad with the characters and ends up totally turning around and has a happy ending.
Shannon
Richard FitzEustace went to fight in the Holy Land and was sent home because he contracted leprosy. When he got home, he was separated both from his family and the church because of his illness. Before leaving his home and family, his grandmother sends him on a mission to ask her cousin to will his land to Richard's grandmother and preserve the inheritance for her grandchildren. Young Joanna, Richard's sister, wants to marry for love, but her potential inheritance attracts plenty of suitors. Wit...more
Terra
This is such a precious story that it will touch your soul. With a very strong God influence showing devotion and what prayer and strong faith can do to give you great hope.

Richard FitzEustace was in the Holy Land fighting with his King for a just cause. A little indiscretion with a woman whom should be considered in all respects as a party of the enemy leaves Richard a leper and the King sends him home to suffer with his affliction.

Richard for all cause is considered dead by the church and is t...more
Jean
Although a quick and easy read, the story is well written and follows a strong story line. You really get a feel for the period and what life was like at Clitheroe Castle.

The main characters are engaging and the story of Richard FitzEustace, first born male heir to the FitzEustace fortune, but contracting leprosy is an interesting and engaging character, as he works to try to protect his young sister from a forced marriage. His young sister, Johanna is a strong female lead and you can't help but...more
Kathy
Although not a bad book, after reading many of Elizabeth Chadwich's medieval historical novels, I found this one rather tame in comparison. It tells the story of Richard de Lacy, who returns from the Crusade with the bane of leprosy. According to the laws of the day, this made Richard dead in the eyes of the Church, and banished from his home, his church, and his family. His grandmother asks one last favor of him, which is where the de Lacy inheritance comes in.

This book is well researched, and...more
Lisa Bass
I found The De Lacy Inheritance to be a book which is sweetly written, evoking a sympathy and sadness; for it is the story of a devote man, Richard De Lacy, who is stricken with leprosy during the Crusades in the Holy Land.
The plot entails Richard De Lacy being solicited by his grandmother to obtain her cousin's English lands before his death. As with many medieval historical-fiction stories, there is no shortage of envy, secrecy, danger, anger, and in a very nice twist, human compassion and lov...more
Hannah
This was really quite good! I have been pleasantly surprised.

It was 'Book of the Month' at my local library and I am quite a big fan of historical fiction, especially from this kind of time period.

It's quite different from other books I have read based around this era, with much more adventure and focusing on a woman who feels that she shouldn't simply be married off to a man she doesn't want to be with.

I will probably the library book of the month again since this was such a good pick :)
Anna
Jun 24, 2014 Anna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: 75
Once again I am torn between one and two stars. There needed to be more elaboration and detail in the story and a little less proselytizing. While this was a perception of redemption of sorts, it was so only because the scientific knowledge of the healing powers of sulfur were unknown at the time. Characters felt a bit two dimensional too. While Ms. Ashworth made a valid effort, she still has very big shoes to fill.
Tara
This is a fairly straightforward tale, but well-written and crafted. I liked that wasn't unduly padded out as period fiction often is, and I warmed instantly to the main character, a gentle, unusual hero. The author, Elizabeth Ashworth, is a local historian of Lancashire and this enjoyable novel enhanced my appreciation of the region's intriguing past.
Bonnie
I wanted to like this book a lot more than I did. It started out well, in the sense of making the protagonist a leper is an interesting and challenging choice. And it’s clear that Ashworth has done her historical research. And yet it felt flat. It's really about the same quality as about 90% of the young adult books out there, but it's not for me.
Phillipa
Intriguing insight into the life of a leper who is ostracised from society and seeking redemption. The period detail is fascinating, with interesting characters.
Jo at Jaffareadstoo
An interesting historical novel based on the De lacy family who lived in Lancashire at the time of the crusades.
Enjoyed it.
Emma
Perhaps not as promising as I had hoped. More teenage esque than historical action. Still a good read though.
Lily
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was a quick, fun read, but nothing special.
Tessa
A fun little historical novel.
Amna Khawaja
Amna Khawaja marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Gail
Gail marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Since selling my first article at the age of eleven and my first story not long afterwards I've been published in a wide range of newspapers and magazines.

In 2006 the first of my non-fiction books, Champion Lancastrians, was published and since then Countryside Books have published Tales of Old Lancashire and Lancashire:Who Lies Beneath.

In June 2010 my first novel, The de Lacy Inheritance, was pub...more
More about Elizabeth Ashworth...
An Honourable Estate By Loyalty Bound The Lady of Haigh Favoured Beyond Fortune: He Is Rich Who Has That Which His Heart Desires The Circle of Fortune