Sardine in Outer Space

Sardine in Outer Space (Sardine in Outer Space)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  239 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In the goofy space adventures of a little girl called Sardine, encounters aren't always friendly: weird creatures, cosmic squids, masters of the universe, talking clouds, and evil beings abound. In this volume of twelve stories, Supermuscleman, the chief executive dictator of the universe, is on a mission to make all the galaxy's kids behave. Sardine must enlist the help o...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by First Second (first published 2001)

BrightSideofDeath
A graphic novel collection (from a French author) of short, episodic stories about a girl named Sardine, her uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, and her cousin, Little Louis. These three space pirates fight the evil and not-so-bright Supermuscleman (the chief executive dictator of the universe--lower case, because that's how it's written in the book) and his henchman, Doc Krok. Bad puns along with subtle literary and pop culture allusions abound.

I can't say I liked the story. It's a little weird, ev...more
Tamsyn
This was a fun first volume of a girl, Sardine, and her uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, as they fly around space in their ship, The Huckleberry. Broken into chapters of individual stories, they often involve close escapes from their enemies, Supermuscleman (chief executive dictator of the universe) and Doc Krok (Mad Scientist) who have trained children throughout the universe to obey them at all times through their orphanages. Since Capt. Yellow Shoulder has a ship full of "disobedient children"...more
Lv2readB
Guibert, E. and Sfar, J. (2006). Sardine in outer space. New York: First Second.

Summary:
Sardine the heroine, her uncle Captain Yellow Shoulder, and her cousin Little Louie go on twelve adventures in this graphic novel for intermediate grades. This is the first book in the Sardine series (originally written in France).
Note: Some inappropriate references: Captain Yellow Shoulder drinks “rum” earlier in the graphic novel and in the section “Stratus, Portus and Aramus”, the children and uncle land...more
Ashley Campbell
This is a wonderful graphic novel, written by Emmanuel Guibert! Sardine in Outer Space is about a spunky little girl who acts as a super hero to defeat her arch nemesis Supermuscleman and Doc Krok. Throughout these colorful cartoon pages, we find many adventures and many stemming from the trouble that Little Louie (her cousin) gets them into. It was particularly funny to me to see the allusions to our education system today. Specifically, it was interesting that Guibert adds a reference to the "...more
Patrice Sartor
SUMMARY: This novel is chock full of action, right from the start, when mischievous Sardine and Uncle Yellow Shoulder escape from the clutches of Doc Krok and Supermuscleman. They make their way back to their spaceship, the Huckleberry, to find that Little Louie brought an aggressive mechanical monkey onboard, and now a handful of other, larger spaceships are out to get the monkey back. Several more adventures occur, one in which Uncle Yellow comes to the aid of an unhappy child. Of course, ther...more
Becky
Jan 30, 2008 Becky rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ages 8 and up
More Joann Sfar from First Second Books.

How much do I love the authors' bios? "Emmanuel Gibert and Joann Sfar are two of the most ridiculously talented comics authors to come from France. Prolific, inventive, and versatile beyond common sense, the two shared a Paris studio from 1995 to 1999, and stories grew there like ragweed."

This book was just plain fun. Reading it was like watching a zany cartoon that kept me giggling the whole time. How could I not, when someone gets called a "galactic boog...more
Kelly
Jun 15, 2008 Kelly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who like goofy and colorful artwork and silly space stories about kids
I am a big fan of Joann Sfar, primarily because of Vampire Loves, which he wrote and illustrated. Sardine was written by a frequent collaborator of his and illustrated by Sfar. It is the story of two kids, Sardine and Little Louie, and Sardine's space pirate uncle, Yellow Shoulder. They get involved in some crazy antics, indeed. I love the artwork in Sardine (lots of goofy space monsters) but was a little bored by the writing. To be fair, this is a book targeted at 4th to 8th graders--though I'v...more
Renee
Mar 19, 2012 Renee rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: paw
Summary: The Chief Executive Officer of the universe, Supermuscleman, is training all children to obey him. Only the space pirates aboard their ship the Huckleberry--Sardine, her cousin Louie, and her Uncle Yellow--can outwit him and his wicked plan.

Graphic Novel

I know it is for kids but I am having a very hard time finishing this book. I do not like it at all. It seems very silly and has no literary value at all. The chapters all have weak plots/story lines that wrap up too quickly. There is a...more
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I was not a fan of this and eventually just stopped reading. I didn't really like any of the characters, thought the action sequences of the plot moved too quickly for the illustrations, and some of the humour must have gotten lost in the translation from French. I'm not a huge fan of Sfar's artistic style either. Some things seem to have too much detail while others seem to be too simple, like the characters' faces. I think the colours were nice and loved the idea of the book, thinking that it...more
Kaethe
I just loved the title, and so grabbed it off the library New shelf. We'll see.

***

We didn't hate it, but we didn't love it either.
Samantha
Episodic adventures starring a girl named Sardine, her cousin Little Louie, and her Uncle Yellow Shoulder as they travel through space aboard the Huckleberry. Each episode has the space pirate trio squaring off against a duo of bad guys: Doc Krok and Supermuscleman. Most of the adventures are pretty tame, but a few of them have graphic images (i.e bodies severed in half). I think the good guys vs. bad guys theme along with some of the funny/gross situations the characters find themselves in woul...more
Whitney
This is not my favorite book but it has some really nice qualities. First, it is about a pirate in outer space which would certainly catch the attention of many children but what surprised me is that the main character is a little girl. Moreover, the storyline never seems to point out that Sardine is a girl so it is never a big deal. Not very many juvenile books have a little rambunctious female child so that stood out to me and I think it is a positive thing.
My son doesn't care for reading. I know. It breaks my heart. So I keep trying to find interesting things he might like to read. Someday, something will break through. This one came close. He actually wanted to keep reading.

This is a weird little graphic novel written on a second grade level. Sardine and her uncle, Yellow Shoulder, are trying to escape the evil clutches of Dr. Krok and Supermuscleman. He liked it. And that counts for a lot these days.
Marcia First
Genre: Comic Book/Graphic Novel

Supermuscleman and his evil accomplice, Doc Krok, want to rid the universe of naughty, disobedient kids so they try to trap Sardine and her space pirate uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, who is really just a big kid too. Amusingly, the antics of Sardine's naughty cousin Louie often put them at risk, but Sardine always seems to find a way to escape Supermuscleman's clutches. This is humorous and entertaining.
Rose Travale
May 23, 2007 Rose Travale rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of children's comics, pirates, adventure enthusiasts
Shelves: comics
This is a really fun comic about Sardine, Little Louie, and their Uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder and their adventures in space. Captain Muscleman is their adversary, always trying to trick them into being captured so he can turn them into well behaved children. The art is great, and the comic is lots of fun. I gave a copy to my six year old nephew and he absolutely loved it. It's a great book to use to introduce kids to the world of comics.
Sara Truog
French graphic novel about space pirate Sardine, her uncle Yellow Shoulder, and cousin Little Louie as they cruise around outer space in their spaceship the Huckleberry and fight intergalactic crime. Illustrations are cool but the stories were boring, according to both me and my eight-year-old. Classified YA only because they show a character's rear-end... I think we've all seen these before :)
Amy
Feb 25, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: 2010, j-comics
Comprised of short vignettes that detail Sardine's adventures as a space pirate. I didn't like it all that well until Jason & I had a discussion about it, and then I realized I had to keep an eye out for funny, weird details. It's stuff that's totally inconsequential to the story, but the weirdness of it made me like the book better.
Debrarian
Funny, shamelessly juvenile, irreverent short cartoon stories about a space pirate, Uncle Yellow Shoulder, and his irascible orphan niece, Sardine, who regularly kick the butt of their stupid nemeses, Supermuscleman and Doc Krok, in outer space adventures rife with wacky, icky space beings and silly space structures.
Kenny
This is one of my favorite books because this book is a comic book.
Theres'three kids and they are trying to find out a way to get
out of space and get back to earth.But then they get stuck into a more
dangerous place, and have to find there way out of there.You can find
this book atMs'lasys'library.
Deborah
I love Joann Sfar but this humor was a little too French for me. It reminded me of Pippi Longstocking as Sardine always outwits adults in a mischevious manner. I did laugh out loud a few times, though, which is extremely rare, so overall not my cup of tea but not a waste of time.
Jason
I read this to Henry and Louisa. It's probably my least favorite Joann Sfar--but it's still pretty good with excellent drawings in his trademark style and interesting characters. It is just that the stories themselves are pretty thin as compared to The Rabbi's Cat or Little Vampire.
Spencer
I loved this. I feel like a kid would really love the tone and possibly the cartoon-like violence. One of my favorites: "On a very warm, beautiful planet, we found a little space lion, and we, um well, we adopted him. And he got a lot bigger after that. He's already eaten four of us!"
Deborah
Captain Yellow Shoulder has a ship full of children he has rescued from the experiments of villains Supermuscleman and Doc Krok, including his niece Sardine. This is the first compilation volume of French comic Sardine in Outer Space. Very cute.

Upper elementary/middle school.
Kelly
Illustrated by Joann Sfar. I was so incredibly pleasantly surprised by this! It was funny, it made me want to keep reading, and it was definitely something that kids could totally get into. I'll be recommending this for sure. It's a lower reading level which is great too!
Andrea
Feb 06, 2011 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 6-10 year olds who think the word "mucous" is funny
Shelves: manga-comics
This action space pirate graphic novel was okay, but it was pretty random. I think my kids liked it; they wanted me to read it, but didn't have much to say about it. I wanted to like this more, but I guess I was expecting some more heroics and plot instead of randomness.
Emilia P
Drawings beautiful as always.
Story cutely meandering, but maybe just a little bit lacking in ...uh....something rooting it to experience and making me care about the characters feelings. What's that you say? It's for french kids, not for American grown-ups? Oh. Huh.
Sandy
Sometimes I think that the French are the only ones who know how to do a good comic. Whimsical and funny, definitely a little weird. This isn't so much a graphic novel per se, but a series of episodes. Kind of like short stories in graphic novel form.
Miri
Cute and fun, in a ridiculous way. This graphic novel feels like it's written BY kids for kids. Which is to say, kids would probably love it, and I thought it was all right. I feel like SpongeBob SquarePants is better written (but has the same kind of feel).
Nancy Jo Lambert
This graphic novels series is new to me, I look forward to recommending this series to kids who are Wimpy Kid fans. This series is funny, filled with action and adventure, and great characters! Kids are going to love the unfolding stories in this series.
Rachel
Sardine, a young girl in outer space, enlists the help of her uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, and her cousin, Little Louie, to defeat Supermuscleman, who wants nothing more than all of the kids in the galaxy to behave.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Little Vampire
  • Magic Pickle
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
  • Bake Sale
  • Legends of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #2)
  • Meanwhile
  • Joey Fly, Private Eye in Creepy Crawly Crime
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost in the World
  • Flight Explorer, Volume 1
  • Brave New Pond (Squish, #2)
  • Lunch Lady and the Picture Day Peril (Lunch Lady, #8)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Fishy Business
  • Little Lit: Folklore and Fairy Tale Funnies
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
Emmanuel Guibert has written a great many graphic novels for readers young and old, among them the Sardine in Outer Space series and The Professor’s Daughter with Joann Sfar.

In 1994, a chance encounter with an American World War II veteran named Alan Cope marked the beginning of a deep friendship and the birth of a great biographical epic.

Another of Guibert's recent works is The Photographer. Show...more
More about Emmanuel Guibert...
The Photographer Alan's War: The Memories of G.I. Alan Cope Sardine in Outer Space 2 Sardine in Outer Space 3 Ariol #1: Just a Donkey Like You and Me