Start by marking “Sardine in Outer Space” as Want to Read:
Sardine in Outer Space

Sardine in Outer Space (Sardine de l'espace #1-2)

In the goofy space adventures of a little girl called Sardine, encounters aren't always friendly: weird creatures, cosmic squids, masters of the universe, talking clouds, and evil beings abound. In this volume of twelve stories, Supermuscleman, the chief executive dictator of the universe, is on a mission to make all the galaxy's kids behave. Sardine must enlist the help ...more
Published May 2nd 2006 by First Second (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sardine in Outer Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sardine in Outer Space

Jubilation Lee
I’m kind of torn in my feelings regarding Sardine in Outer Space.

On the one hand!

Sardine! She’s so fucking bad-ass! There she goes, running around in bare feet and a floppy hat, with a cutlass in one hand and a dashing scar criss-crossing her face… IN SPACE!

I love her. She is amazing. I want us to be besties and go on adventures, even though I am not nearly cool enough to be a member of her gang and my natural sense of self-preservation would keep me from doing a lot of the actual Adventuring
Dov Zeller
Dec 19, 2015 Dov Zeller rated it really liked it
This is pure silliness. A very short, absurd and delightful read.
BrightSideofDeath
Feb 06, 2011 BrightSideofDeath rated it it was ok
A graphic novel collection (from a French author) of short, episodic stories about a girl named Sardine, her uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, and her cousin, Little Louis. These three space pirates fight the evil and not-so-bright Supermuscleman (the chief executive dictator of the universe--lower case, because that's how it's written in the book) and his henchman, Doc Krok. Bad puns along with subtle literary and pop culture allusions abound.

I can't say I liked the story. It's a little weird, ev
Tamsyn
Jul 07, 2008 Tamsyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was a fun first volume of a girl, Sardine, and her uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, as they fly around space in their ship, The Huckleberry. Broken into chapters of individual stories, they often involve close escapes from their enemies, Supermuscleman (chief executive dictator of the universe) and Doc Krok (Mad Scientist) who have trained children throughout the universe to obey them at all times through their orphanages. Since Capt. Yellow Shoulder has a ship full of "disobedient ...more
Palimp
Sep 12, 2016 Palimp rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los 'malos' quieren que todos los niños obedezcan y los 'buenos' son piratas que enseñan a losniños a desobedecer. Realmente nada indicado para mis hijos, que ya tienen la desobediencia bien aprendida. Pero... ¡es tan divertido! Sucesión de aventuras que enfrentan a Sardina del Espacio con Supermusculman.
Patrice Sartor
SUMMARY: This novel is chock full of action, right from the start, when mischievous Sardine and Uncle Yellow Shoulder escape from the clutches of Doc Krok and Supermuscleman. They make their way back to their spaceship, the Huckleberry, to find that Little Louie brought an aggressive mechanical monkey onboard, and now a handful of other, larger spaceships are out to get the monkey back. Several more adventures occur, one in which Uncle Yellow comes to the aid of an unhappy child. Of course, ...more
Ashley Campbell
Nov 27, 2012 Ashley Campbell rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is a wonderful graphic novel, written by Emmanuel Guibert! Sardine in Outer Space is about a spunky little girl who acts as a super hero to defeat her arch nemesis Supermuscleman and Doc Krok. Throughout these colorful cartoon pages, we find many adventures and many stemming from the trouble that Little Louie (her cousin) gets them into. It was particularly funny to me to see the allusions to our education system today. Specifically, it was interesting that Guibert adds a reference to the ...more
Lv2readB
Guibert, E. and Sfar, J. (2006). Sardine in outer space. New York: First Second.

Summary:
Sardine the heroine, her uncle Captain Yellow Shoulder, and her cousin Little Louie go on twelve adventures in this graphic novel for intermediate grades. This is the first book in the Sardine series (originally written in France).
Note: Some inappropriate references: Captain Yellow Shoulder drinks “rum” earlier in the graphic novel and in the section “Stratus, Portus and Aramus”, the children and uncle land
Anoush Emrazian
Sardine and her uncle Captain Yellow Shoulder travel the universe, either evading capture by Supermuscleman or saving unhappy children wherever they might be.

These stories (the chapters are more like vingettes) are fun and silly and sometimes gross (i.e. perfect for kids) but they're not actually interesting nor do they have any purpose. So I guess your level of enjoyment all depends on what you look for in what you read. I was not at all impressed with the dialogue, but it was translated from F
Rebecca
Jan 30, 2008 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: ages 8 and up
More Joann Sfar from First Second Books.

How much do I love the authors' bios? "Emmanuel Gibert and Joann Sfar are two of the most ridiculously talented comics authors to come from France. Prolific, inventive, and versatile beyond common sense, the two shared a Paris studio from 1995 to 1999, and stories grew there like ragweed."

This book was just plain fun. Reading it was like watching a zany cartoon that kept me giggling the whole time. How could I not, when someone gets called a "galactic boog
Conan Tigard
Nov 16, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it
Sardine in Outer Space is an interesting read that kids will find quite entertaining. The artwork is rough and not what I would consider my favorite when I started reading the book, but grew accustomed to it by the end, and actually kind of liked it, although it will never be my favorite. Actually, it kind of looks like a kid drew it, so this will probably appear to children.

As an adult, according to the jacket of the book, I am not allowed to read this book. No Grown-Ups Allowed! I do believe
Erin Reilly-Sanders
I was not a fan of this and eventually just stopped reading. I didn't really like any of the characters, thought the action sequences of the plot moved too quickly for the illustrations, and some of the humour must have gotten lost in the translation from French. I'm not a huge fan of Sfar's artistic style either. Some things seem to have too much detail while others seem to be too simple, like the characters' faces. I think the colours were nice and loved the idea of the book, thinking that it ...more
Renee
Aug 12, 2016 Renee rated it did not like it
Shelves: paw
Summary: The Chief Executive Officer of the universe, Supermuscleman, is training all children to obey him. Only the space pirates aboard their ship the Huckleberry--Sardine, her cousin Louie, and her Uncle Yellow--can outwit him and his wicked plan.

Graphic Novel

I know it is for kids but I am having a very hard time finishing this book. I do not like it at all. It seems very silly and has no literary value at all. The chapters all have weak plots/story lines that wrap up too quickly. There is a
Suzanne
This is a graphic novel that is made up of little short stories. Sardine is a girl in outer space that is traveling the universe with her uncle. They have adventures as they encounter various villains throughout their travels. Their arch-nemesis is Supermuscle man. It is a series of fun little adventures in which sardine always finds a way to save the day. It is fun but a bit repetitive. I found that I could finish the book because it was too much of the same thing. But I bet that kids would ...more
Samantha
Apr 22, 2012 Samantha rated it it was ok
Episodic adventures starring a girl named Sardine, her cousin Little Louie, and her Uncle Yellow Shoulder as they travel through space aboard the Huckleberry. Each episode has the space pirate trio squaring off against a duo of bad guys: Doc Krok and Supermuscleman. Most of the adventures are pretty tame, but a few of them have graphic images (i.e bodies severed in half). I think the good guys vs. bad guys theme along with some of the funny/gross situations the characters find themselves in ...more
Marcia First
Nov 07, 2009 Marcia First rated it liked it
Genre: Comic Book/Graphic Novel

Supermuscleman and his evil accomplice, Doc Krok, want to rid the universe of naughty, disobedient kids so they try to trap Sardine and her space pirate uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder, who is really just a big kid too. Amusingly, the antics of Sardine's naughty cousin Louie often put them at risk, but Sardine always seems to find a way to escape Supermuscleman's clutches. This is humorous and entertaining.
Whitney
Apr 28, 2010 Whitney rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novel
This is not my favorite book but it has some really nice qualities. First, it is about a pirate in outer space which would certainly catch the attention of many children but what surprised me is that the main character is a little girl. Moreover, the storyline never seems to point out that Sardine is a girl so it is never a big deal. Not very many juvenile books have a little rambunctious female child so that stood out to me and I think it is a positive thing.
Rose Travale
May 23, 2007 Rose Travale rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of children's comics, pirates, adventure enthusiasts
Shelves: comics
This is a really fun comic about Sardine, Little Louie, and their Uncle, Captain Yellow Shoulder and their adventures in space. Captain Muscleman is their adversary, always trying to trick them into being captured so he can turn them into well behaved children. The art is great, and the comic is lots of fun. I gave a copy to my six year old nephew and he absolutely loved it. It's a great book to use to introduce kids to the world of comics.
Apr 24, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
My son doesn't care for reading. I know. It breaks my heart. So I keep trying to find interesting things he might like to read. Someday, something will break through. This one came close. He actually wanted to keep reading.

This is a weird little graphic novel written on a second grade level. Sardine and her uncle, Yellow Shoulder, are trying to escape the evil clutches of Dr. Krok and Supermuscleman. He liked it. And that counts for a lot these days.
Kenny
Apr 13, 2009 Kenny rated it really liked it
This is one of my favorite books because this book is a comic book.
Theres'three kids and they are trying to find out a way to get
out of space and get back to earth.But then they get stuck into a more
dangerous place, and have to find there way out of there.You can find
this book atMs'lasys'library.
Amy
Feb 25, 2010 Amy added it
Shelves: j-comics, 2010
Comprised of short vignettes that detail Sardine's adventures as a space pirate. I didn't like it all that well until Jason & I had a discussion about it, and then I realized I had to keep an eye out for funny, weird details. It's stuff that's totally inconsequential to the story, but the weirdness of it made me like the book better.
Debrarian
Apr 07, 2011 Debrarian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny, shamelessly juvenile, irreverent short cartoon stories about a space pirate, Uncle Yellow Shoulder, and his irascible orphan niece, Sardine, who regularly kick the butt of their stupid nemeses, Supermuscleman and Doc Krok, in outer space adventures rife with wacky, icky space beings and silly space structures.
Sara Truog
Jan 05, 2011 Sara Truog rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya
French graphic novel about space pirate Sardine, her uncle Yellow Shoulder, and cousin Little Louie as they cruise around outer space in their spaceship the Huckleberry and fight intergalactic crime. Illustrations are cool but the stories were boring, according to both me and my eight-year-old. Classified YA only because they show a character's rear-end... I think we've all seen these before :)
Spencer
Feb 06, 2010 Spencer rated it really liked it
I loved this. I feel like a kid would really love the tone and possibly the cartoon-like violence. One of my favorites: "On a very warm, beautiful planet, we found a little space lion, and we, um well, we adopted him. And he got a lot bigger after that. He's already eaten four of us!"
Jason
I read this to Henry and Louisa. It's probably my least favorite Joann Sfar--but it's still pretty good with excellent drawings in his trademark style and interesting characters. It is just that the stories themselves are pretty thin as compared to The Rabbi's Cat or Little Vampire.
Sandy
Sometimes I think that the French are the only ones who know how to do a good comic. Whimsical and funny, definitely a little weird. This isn't so much a graphic novel per se, but a series of episodes. Kind of like short stories in graphic novel form.
Emilia P
Aug 19, 2008 Emilia P rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
Drawings beautiful as always.
Story cutely meandering, but maybe just a little bit lacking in ...uh....something rooting it to experience and making me care about the characters feelings. What's that you say? It's for french kids, not for American grown-ups? Oh. Huh.
Nancy Jo Lambert
This graphic novels series is new to me, I look forward to recommending this series to kids who are Wimpy Kid fans. This series is funny, filled with action and adventure, and great characters! Kids are going to love the unfolding stories in this series.
Andrea
Feb 06, 2011 Andrea rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 6-10 year olds who think the word "mucous" is funny
Shelves: manga-comics
This action space pirate graphic novel was okay, but it was pretty random. I think my kids liked it; they wanted me to read it, but didn't have much to say about it. I wanted to like this more, but I guess I was expecting some more heroics and plot instead of randomness.
Deborah
Dec 01, 2011 Deborah rated it really liked it
Captain Yellow Shoulder has a ship full of children he has rescued from the experiments of villains Supermuscleman and Doc Krok, including his niece Sardine. This is the first compilation volume of French comic Sardine in Outer Space. Very cute.

Upper elementary/middle school.
  • Mal and Chad: Food Fight! (Mal and Chad, #2)
  • Little Vampire Goes to School
  • Kaput and Zosky
  • Kit Feeny: On the Move
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Binky Takes Charge (Binky)
  • Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost in the World
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #2)
  • Happy Happy Clover, Vol. 1
  • To Dance: A Ballerina's Graphic Novel
  • Gabby and Gator
  • Tiny Titans, Vol. 7: Growing Up Tiny!
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
  • Meanwhile
  • Spiral-Bound: Top Secret Summer
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean
Emmanuel Guibert has written a great many graphic novels for readers young and old, among them the Sardine in Outer Space series and The Professor’s Daughter with Joann Sfar.

In 1994, a chance encounter with an American World War II veteran named Alan Cope marked the beginning of a deep friendship and the birth of a great biographical epic.

Another of Guibert's recent works is The Photographer. Show
More about Emmanuel Guibert...

Sardine de l'espace (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Sardine de l'Espace: Le doigt dans l'oeil