Start by marking “Dungeon: The Early Years - Vol. 1: The Night Shirt” as Want to Read:
Dungeon: The Early Years - Vol. 1: The Night Shirt

Dungeon: The Early Years - Vol. 1: The Night Shirt (Donjon Potron-Minet -99 -98)

4.25 of 5 stars 4.25  ·  rating details  ·  229 ratings  ·  16 reviews
We start on another tangent of the vast world of Dungeon, one that relates the origins of it. In this first story of the Early Years, you will see the Keeper barely an adult and leaving his family to go find fortune in a time of chaos and darkness.
Published September 1st 2005 by NBM Publishing (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Dungeon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dungeon

Sarri
Dungeon sarjakuvat ovat päättömän sarjakuvahuumorin helmiä, täynnä mitä epätoivoisimpia tilanteita, joiden pälkähästä päästään erinomaisen mielikuvituksellisin keinoin. The night shirt valottaa Dungeon-maailman varhaisempia vuosia, kun jalo pingviini, tuleva Dungeonin Keeper, Hyacinthe, on vielä nuori, naiivi ja idealistinen. Hyacinthe haluaa jakaa oikeutta, mutta se ei olekaan aivan niin yksinkertaista, kuin voisi olettaa, vähän tulee tehtyä harkitsemattomia tekoja ja rapatessakin aina roiskuu. ...more
Tracey
Someone else please read the Dungeon series so I have someone else to talk to about how great they are. Perhaps the most charming, smart and funny comics I've ever read.
Magila
4.5

When I began this, I thought (incorrectly) this would be a spoof of D&D, or something of that ilk. Instead, what I discovered was an entire fantasy world created by a curious mind, albeit an obviously European one. There is just something specific in the voice of European authors, and this was no different.

Some elements may be beyond acceptability for readers, but there was nothing too bad. There was a rich tapestry of major and minor characters, inside jokes, and an engaging plot. While
Emilia P
There were some things I didn't get, but how can you go wrong with an adorable penguin and a giant tree-woman?
You can't, actually.
Robert Boyd
Each of NBM's editions of the Dungeon series by Lewis Trondheim, Joann Sfar and their various collaborators contains two volumes of the French series. An album is a 48-page book, which is not a format that American readers are used to. It would probably seem skimpy to the average American. So we get these nice thick volumes. On the downside, NBM shrinks the size of the page to about two thirds the original size, so we don't get to see the art in all its glory, and the lettering is quite small.

Tr
Brandon
I Actually read this a couple of years ago and just re-read it. Didn't pick up the brilliance of Christophe Blain's work at that time, but now I'm a total disciple. Brilliant layouts and staging.

The story telling style and humor that is typical to Dungeon books is still there, but this one feels more grounded and maybe a bit sadder. There is a strong sense of place with Antipolis that Blain captures well. Probably my favorite book in the series.
Jim
Hyacinthe, very noble, young and naive, is sent to live w/his uncle the Prince. The prince is bitter, despised greedy and rich, his number two man is so wicked however he makes the prince look like a prince. Hyacinthe puts on a mask and becomes the embodiment of Justice. He falls for a fair maiden who is, of course, a professional assassin and copulating w/the number two man. hijinx ensue.

i enjoyed this much more than i thought i would, though i did think it a kids book when i bought it. The art
Liz
Okay, I've read two volumes of this now and despite its many glowing reviews and recommendations, I just don't see the appeal. It's rather...meh. Not really funny, not really dramatic, not really much of anything at all. The characters aren't very interesting and a couple border on outright annoying; what little plot I could find seemed meandering and weak. I don't get it. Maybe it lost a whole lot of something in the translation, je ne sais pas. It's not craptacular or godawful, but it's not wo ...more
Dave
I've really enjoyed all the Dungeon books I've read so far, but this one is my favorite. Having read Duck Heart and Barbarian Princess first, it was really neat to watch the Keeper in his younger years, sneaking and swashbuckling; and seeing how the Dungeon will eventually come to be. The illustration style is unique but clear, and the characters are a delight. The translation from French sometimes makes the dialogue a little unusual, but personally, I think it adds to the charm.
bunnyhero
why did I not know of these books before? there's just something about the deadpan humour and low-key epicness that really appeals to me. it may not be for everyone but I love these to bits.
Daniel
A great, funny read. I've been wanting to read these for a long time, so I'm glad I found one of the English translations. Once I learn French, I'll be reading the whole series.
nicole p
This series is awesome. It's not all translated from French yet, but it's worth the wait. Magical, clever and hilarious.
John
The second of the two stories here might be my favorite Dungeon story so far. The first, a bit less.
Dave Peticolas
Love this series, definitely worth checking out if you like the graphic novel format.
Damon
Funny. Not as great as the Zenith storyline, but still pretty great.
Shaimana
Shaimana marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Toby
Toby added it
Jul 03, 2015
Dan Starr
Dan Starr marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2015
Nathan Allison
Nathan Allison marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2015
Ricardo Santillan
Ricardo Santillan marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
  • Gus & His Gang
  • Bourbon Island 1730
  • The Arctic Marauder
  • The Cage
  • Sugar Skull
  • The Left Bank Gang
  • On the Origin of PCs (The Order of the Stick, #0)
  • Dungeon Quest, Vol. 1
  • Isle of 100,000 Graves
  • Cursed Pirate Girl: The Collected Edition, Volume One
  • Flight, Vol. 6 (Flight, #6)
  • Shutterbug Follies: Graphic Novel
  • Is That All There Is?
  • Delphine
  • Pinocchio
  • Apocalypse Nerd
  • A Mess of Everything
  • The Book of Jim
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g.
More about Joann Sfar...

Donjon Potron-Minet (5 books)
  • La Chemise de la nuit (Donjon Potron-Minet, #-99)
  • Un justicier dans l'ennui (Donjon Potron-Minet, #-98 )
  • Une jeunesse qui s'enfuit (Donjon Potron-Minet, #-97)
  • Après la pluie (Donjon Potron-Minet, #-84)
  • Sans un bruit (Donjon Potron-Minet, #-83 )
The Rabbi's Cat Le Petit Prince The Professor's Daughter Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 1: La Bar Mitsva Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4)