Start by marking “The Professor's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The Professor's Daughter

The Professor's Daughter

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  1,502 ratings  ·  278 reviews
THREE THOUSAND YEARS MAY SEPARATE THEM, still... they love each other.

19th-century London. She is the lovely daughter of renowned Egyptologist Porfessor Bowell, he the dashing mummy Imhotep IV, owned by the professor and awake for the first time in thirty centuries. They stroll through London arm-in-arm and find their way into an abiding love, but everything seems to be ge
Published April 17th 2007 by First Second (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Professor's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Professor's Daughter

Michael
Jan 31, 2009 Michael marked it as to-read
Knowing that it’s about the romance between a mummy and the daughter of the man who discovered him, I expected The Professor’s Daughter to be whimsical. And it is.

What I wasn’t prepared for was for it to go beyond whimsy and into ridiculousness. That’s not a bad thing, but it caught me off guard when I thought I was reading one kind of book and it turned out I was reading another.

To be fair, there are plenty of clues that this is where Sfar and Guibert are headed. The story begins as Lillian, da
Betsy
The romantic implications behind classic horror monsters are usually explored only when horror remains the primary focus and romance a secondary characteristic. There are exceptions to this rule, but they tend to end up creating Phantom of the Opera musicals or Anne Rice-like vampire novels. You might be able to make the case that for every werewolf, Frankenstein, and Invisible Man there's a sweet version of their story lurking somewhere, but you'd be hard pressed to say the same for mummies. Mu ...more
Michelle Witte
Originally reviewed at Libri Ago.

Before the paranormal romance craze, the concept of this book would have seemed utterly bizarre: in Victorian England, the daughter of an Egyptologist and one of the mummies he brought back from Egypt fall in love. (Plus accidental murder, kidnappings, and Queen Victoria being tossed in the Thames River.)

Now, there are other zombie love stories floating around, but when The Professor's Daughter was originally published in France in 1997, it was a completely novel
Seth Hahne
I don't often review comedies for the simple reason that I have a ridiculously hard time trying to figure out what to say about them. I might be able to explore an interesting path if a comedy tries to use its sense of humour to disarm or ratify some idea or other, but apart from that I'm left with little to do but express whether I found its humour to be worth my time.

The Professor's Daughter by Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert

Critiquing books whose aim is little higher than simply providing the reader with a brief period of entertainment is a task I f
Aurora
*This review contains spoilers!*
"The Professor's Daughter" is a crime graphic novel. Lillian, the daughter of an Egyptologist, falls in love with the mummy Imhotep IV. Imhotep, although wrapped in bandages, can walk and talk like a normal person. When Lillian accidentally poisons two men, Imhotep falsely turns himself to save Lillian. Lillian and Imhotep reunite in jail, but other forces, such as Imhotep III, threaten to keep them apart.
This book was alright. I thought it was odd how the story i
Qt
Quite charming! I like the whimsical illustrations and delightful dialogue, and I love the whole concept--a mix of romance, adventure, lots of humor, and action.
Parts of it were a bit, well, strange (murder is treated rather light-heartedly, for one thing) and it isn't always very logical. Still, if you don't take it too seriously, but simply want an enjoyably silly read, you might like it. (It might also help if you've seen at least one mummy movie.)
Angie
This charming, madcap Victorian romp was originally published in 1997 and has just recently been translated into English and reissued by First Second. The French pairing, Joann Sfar and Emmanuel Guibert, have infused their girl-meets-mummy love story with equal amounts whimsy and longing. Lillian Bowell is the daughter of renowned Egyptologist Professor Bowell. During one of her father's many absences, Lillian befriends one of her father's many mummies, Imhotep IV. Lillian soon feels safe with ...more
Bryce Holt
This story was painfully dumb. I have to think that the author intended it for children, but there was a little too much adult stuff involved to make it so (spirits coming out of mummies, people getting shot and poisoned, mummies getting sentenced to death {yeah, even in a fantasy book, try rationalizing that?}). The ending made me tremor with hate for the author, and as I turned the last page, I kind of wanted to throw myself off the tallest building in Lenexa (which is only about three stories ...more
Licha
Not exactly sure what the purpose of the author was. Why is the professor's daughter in love with a mummy? The book just goes straight into it without giving some background so then it becomes the type of book where rather than enjoying the story for what it is you're wondering how and why the author came up with this concept. Great drawings, but lacked more substance to the story.
Turrean
Eccentric, to say the least. I was charmed by the romance, the artwork, by a cameo appearance of Queen Victoria, and by the Monty Pythonesque silliness of the plot. "(A body! My goodness, no, I don't know where it came from. Oh look, there's another one on the stairs.") Just one quibble--if the mummy, under his bandages, is a perfectly ordinary-looking fellow, then why on earth would he wear them?
Kathleen
While I admit I admired some of the hi-jinks and the uniqueness of the premise, my brain was at the same time rolling with disbelief and would not let me fully enjoy the whole story.
jess
The premise is that the daughter of a prominent Egyptologist goes for a walk with one of her father's prize mummies. They walk, talk, fall in love, and then things start to unravel as they land in heaps of trouble. The illustrations are lovely, the dialogue is mostly snappy and funny. The plot didn't full engage me (improbable, totally weird love story? meh) and the characters were pretty shallow, but it was an interesting exercise.
Kate
Who says a three thousand year old mummy and a young woman in Victorian England can't fall in love? This is an extremely well done graphic novel about the misadventures of the pair and a host of other significant characters. The artwork is great (watercolors, I think) and the storyline is fun and exciting and has some incredibly funny twists. This one makes the top 5 of my favorite graphic novels this year.
Sesana
This graphic novel is a short, swift, and charming read. I wish I could remember now why I decided to read it in the first place, but I'm glad I did. The art is lovely, all beautifully sepia. The story, however, does tend to get a little out there in places. But the heart of it is a love story between a mummy and a Victorian lady, and I loved it.
Gabriella
Such a great little story. Such a unique and simple concept, carried out in a really fun, light, tone. I feel like I could recommend this to to almost anyone and they would enjoy it.
Emmanuel Guibert's art is beautiful as well. I don't think I've read a graphic novel or comic that had art as lovely as this one.
Rachel
True love overcomes all hardship. Some have more obstacles than others though, as is the case for Lillian, daughter of a strict English professor, and Imhotep, ancient pharaoh and mummy. Society, family, even logic is against their relationship, but they persevere. Their tale is short and sweet, and only further sweetened by the series of beautiful watercolour images which change their hue to reflect the mood. These two are such a charming couple, and due to their unusual circumstances they expe ...more
Anne
Jun 16, 2007 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: lovers of Egyptology and Victoriana
A sweet story, beautifully illustrated, about the very complicated love between a mummy at the British Museum and the professor's daughter Lillian (of course). It's an extremely quick read, which leaves me rather curious about other graphic novels.
Emily
This book is just....what. I have no idea what's going on, and it just get's more crazy as the book goes on. The story itself would be pretty cool, but how it was written was totally cray-cray. The artwork is beautiful though.
Elijah Spector
A fun story, and beautiful to look at (really, really beautiful), but I'm glad I got it from the library instead of buying it, because it goes by in a flash. Nice to see a kid's story that gets so dark, though.
Anoush Emrazian
Lillian, the daughter of a Professor in possession of the mummy of Pharaoh Immotep IV, takes said mummy out and about through London while her father is away, thereby introducing him to life in the British Empire and ending up in quite a serious scrape.

This is translated from French. The words and dialogue are quite simple. I don't know if this is because of the translation or just simply how it was written. The story is whimsical and silly and unexpected in its conclusion. The pictures are love
Kathy
I have to agree with my daughter that this story ends too soon.
It is an amusing adventure/romance between the title character and her father's mummy.
I read it in less than 30 minutes, even though I read most of it aloud with my daughter. I guess the downfall, if one considers it that, of graphic novels is that pictures read more quickly than words, so the story races along. But it is great fun, and quick enough to read at breakfast.
This is translated from the original French, so perhaps I should
Martin Sebesta
Hezký komix na večer.

Nic víc, nic míň.

Profesorova dcera vezme mumii ze sbírek jejího otce na procházku. Oba jsou tak trochu uťáplí svými rodiči. Začínají se sbližovat. Jenže mumie není několik tisíc let zvyklá pít, a čaj na ní má nečekané účinky...

Na některých místech jsem se nahlas smál, ale přišlo mi to celé takové krátké. Nebyl jsem úplně spokojen. Průměrné hodnocení 3,5 myslím naprosto odpovídá. Taky bych ho dal, kdybych mohl, takhle jen za 3.

+ Hodně odpočinkový komix se spoustou vtipných m
Marilyn
Beautiful art, interesting story line that I did not expect. How long does true love last? Thousands of years, apparently, at least in the romantic musings of these authors. Cultural differences and modern laws are weighed although, in this fantastical tale, the persons butting heads are centuries apart. This book also raises questions about the legitimacy of displaying "artifacts" in museums - if the artifacts we view behind glass had feelings, what would they try to tell us about who they are ...more
Emmy
This book was clever and ridiculous and I absolutely loved it! The storyline was so creative (daughter of a renowned Egyptologist falls in love with Imhotep IV, the mummy her father brought home from his recent adventures. While the professor is out, the two lovebirds go out on dates all around the city, and get themselves into all sorts of trouble.

It was a cute and creative story, and while the twists and turns were not incredibly shocking, they did manage to surprise me a few times, which is a
Marfita
Jan 03, 2011 Marfita rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: mummy-lovers
Shelves: graphics
I was utterly charmed by the story, the illustrations, and the printing. The cavorting with mummies reminded me of the Adèle Blanc-Sec books, but this story is slightly less gruesome than those. True, there are poisonings and shootings, but this is a love story between Imhotep IV and the daughter of the professor who planned to put him on display. While capturing the surreal, the exquisite drawings evoke the past with the regularity of their size and the monochrome treatment of the early part of ...more
Andy
I picked this book up because of the publisher, First Second. I rarely do that, but I'm always interested in what First Second produces. Their books are unique and produced with high quality. (They didn't ask me to say that.)

This volume happens to be the English edition of a foreign language comic. Multiple reviewers have used the term "whimsical" in their reviews of this book so I hesitate to say that again here, but "whimsy" really is an apt descriptor.

This story feels like a small piece of s
Christina (A Reader of Fictions)
The story is a weird but interesting one. I really enjoyed the beginning where the two of them walked the streets of London. Imhotep IV and Lillian bond over their marginalization and powerlessness in society. Both are loved by the professor, but more as possessions than as real people. They also both suffer from daddy issues.

After the opening though, I thought the story went downhill. The plot is a bit far-fetched, even for a fantasy story. The actions that the characters take at pretty much an
Andy Shuping
"The Professor's Daughter" is a most unusual love story, a tale of the mummy of Imhotep IV and the daughter of the man who dug him up. And it has such a great premise! But...the story falls apart in a few places for me. In places it feels far too rushed. I mean yes this is an unusual romance, but I have no sense of time or pacing, everything feels like it's happening right then! All crammed up on top of each other. It also feels like it reached a somewhat stunted ending. I just wish they had tol ...more
Rebecca
Oct 02, 2007 Rebecca rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults and certain high schoolers with an appreciation of Victorian romance and/or Egyptology
Shelves: graphic-novels
Well, I read this book and my main reaction was "ehhh??" I found it disjointed and perplexing, like it meant to be funny but wasn't quite hitting the right notes. And I had no idea who I'd recommend it to...when the book jacket says "best savored with romantic company and a pot of fine Darjeeling," is it really a teen book?

Probably not. So after reading the glowing reviews and changing my wavelength from middle-school-Maximum-Ride-Twilight, I'm second-guessing my first reaction. As one review s
Loyd
Joann Sfar and artist Emmanuel Guibert have crafted a witty, amusing and terrifying story, a whimsical Victorian tale of living mummies, parental oppression, tea at Buckingham Palace and star-crossed love. "Whimsical" may be an odd term for a story containing a number of killings, but there's also the Queen doing the backstroke in the Thames, so what else can you call it? You've got to love the bandaged Imhotep in top hat, waistcoat and spats, strolling near the Tower of London with Lillian, his ...more
  • Daisy Kutter: The Last Train
  • The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard
  • Welcome to Tranquility, Vol. 1
  • Bookhunter
  • Cat Burglar Black
  • Aya (Aya #1)
  • Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 (Castle Waiting Omnibus Collection, #1)
  • A.L.I.E.E.E.N.: Archives of Lost Issues and Earthly Editions of Extraterrestrial Novelties
  • Koko Be Good
  • Kill My Mother: A Graphic Novel
  • Breath of Bones: A Tale of the Golem
  • Robot Dreams
  • Sloth
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
Joann Sfar (born August 28, 1971 in Nice) is a French comics artist, comic book creator, and film director.

Sfar is considered one of the most important artists of the new wave of Franco-Belgian comics. Many of his comics were published by L'Association which was founded in 1990 by Jean-Christophe Menu and six other artists. He also worked together with many of the new movement's main artists, e.g.
More about Joann Sfar...
The Rabbi's Cat Le Petit Prince Le Chat du Rabbin, Tome 1: La Bar Mitsva Vampire Loves (Grand Vampire, #1-4) The Rabbi's Cat 2