Donde Cruzan los Brujos / Where the Sorcerers Cross

Donde Cruzan los Brujos / Where the Sorcerers Cross

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  389 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Abelar presents a fascinating personal account of her initiation into the world of sorcery. The author receives training in Mexico by a group of teachers connected with Don Juan Matus, the mentor of Carlos Castaneda. Under their guidance she learns various breathing, movement, and contemplative techniques.
Published November 28th 1994 by Gaia Ediciones (first published 1992)

Be the first to ask a question about Donde Cruzan los Brujos / Where the Sorcerers Cross

María
"Donde cruzan los Brujos" es el nombre de la versión en español de "The Sorcerer's Crossing: A Woman's Journey".
Interesante desde el punto de vista del contenido de la narrativa, donde la trama gira en torno a la historia del encuentro de Taisha con Clara.
Taisha es una mujer común, con sus luces y sombras, miedos y pasiones que un día se encuentra con Clara, una maestra bruja que la conduce por los intrincados caminos de la iniciación.
Taisha recurre a la recapitulación mediante los "pases brujos...more
Monika Gierszewska
Fascinating reading. The book was given to me by a dear friend... It tells the story of a young woman, who joins a group of sorcerers in Mexico and starts lengthy physical and mental training to prepare her to become a sorcerer. It's very interesting to see that the opinion of readers is so divided - some say it's fiction and lots of nonsense, and the others believe the story and start practising themselves. Up to you to decide.
Ruby Hollyberry
Like many of the New Age books on what is described as shamanism, this is not a book to be taken as literal truth. Yet it holds meaning and useful inspiration for magickal and shamanic practitioners. I have used ideas from this book as a jumping-off point for experiment and speculation for many years now. Just don't take it TOO seriously! I would not recommend committing to lifelong celibacy for one example; (the Castaneda group authors, including Taisha, were not being honest in the books about...more
Terri Kempton
I celebrate the inclusion of women in the realm of magic, sorcery, and shamanism. I read Carlos Castenada, which was phenomenal, but very much an old boy's club. The content of Sorcerer's Crossing is fascinating, but the writing is of poor quality. One of her favorite devices is to overuse names, so each time the mentor is addressed her name is used too. "I see that, Clara." "What do you mean, Clara?" "Clara, can you tell me more about this?"

In general, it reads very much like someone reconstru...more
Juan
After reading all of Carlos Castaneda's work I found this book redundant. It doesn't add anything to the saga, it's a lower quality copy of Carlos' writtings. Also I found impossible to believe that something on it was true.
One can argue if Carlos' books are fiction or non-fiction. I don't think it really matters. They portray a hard life of beautiful philosophy, true or not.
This book just reads too fake and low quality to me.
Willow
if you have read any of carlos castaneda's books about his experiences with don juan, i would recommend this book. abelar writes about her experiences with the same group of sorcerers. her experience is much different from carlos'. i also enjoyed reading about a women's experience in this type of training. quite thought provoking, opens up lots of new consciousness expanding ideas.
Adèle Green
Loved the book. Read it again.
It drew me and spat me out as I learned that Taisha suspectedly committed suicide. it was stranger than fiction. I am not a fiction reader. But what got me was that it seemed vaguely real.
I loved the book and will read many more like it.
It made me think.
Kathryn Harriet
It was loaded with instruction, which was beneficial. The obtuse immaturity of Taisha throughout the majority of the book was annoying me enough to realize that I probably share similar traits that I need to work on as diligently as she. It was essential enough to read again, at some point.
Henk
Jul 30, 2014 Henk rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Toltec readers, ex-toltec readers
A magical Realism autobiographical tale of the author's training in the Toltec system under the tuition of 'witches'.
I enjoyed it back when I read it, though i would react differently to it now. it does impress though the dedication required for 'real growth', and how the self and the programmed mind is the real challenge.
Good read as far as the 'story' goes, but for a learning resource, the later books by Lujan Matus offer more.
Cazna
Aug 01, 2008 Cazna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spiritual people
Shelves: own
I was once on a spirital journey myself, at a very young age of sixteen I was drawn to this book and immersed myself in its subtle teachings. I still refer to this book in times of need. Far more insightful than the Celestine Prophecy or the Secret because its of one womans true experience to a magical path.
Steph
Interesting look at this woman's account of her initiation in to a group of sorcerers. There are questions about the cultish nature of Carlos Castenada's inner circle. Six years after writing this book, and some days after CC dies, it is reported that she and Florinda Donner among others disappear.
Malcolm
If you are a fan of Carlos Castaneda, you'll enjoy this addition to the canon. Like Carlos, Taisha writes of her first experiences with sorcery, primarily through her training with Clara Grau. Readers will find here some techniques they can use to expand--or, at least, tweak--their perception.
Deira
I enjoyed Taisha's writing style and her account of the journey into shamanism. A lot of food for thought, though at times a bit too far fetched.. It is interesting to ponder on how much was based on her actual journey... Perhaps it is not so much fantasy, as symbolic...
It was amazing at the time when I read it. That was a decade ago. I haven't revisited it lately, but the style seemed a little bit smarter than some Castaneda books. The author writes candidly but doesn't dumb it down to the degree that Castaneda did.
B.
El mejor libro que he leído en los últimos años...
De contenido profundo y conmovedor, el libro guarda un mensaje que traspasa las fronteras de lo ordinario... Es una invitación hacia los otros mundos de percepción...
Lindsay
I've enjoyed reading this book more than the couple of books I've read from Castaneda. Not because of the story itself (both lives seem unbelievable) but because of her writing style.
Sep 15, 2007 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pagans
Shelves: witchynonfiction
I read this book when it came out years ago, and I still remember it vividly. It is one of those life-changing books if you are following a magickal path. I highly recommend it!
Terry
Not the best written book. But the message had a profound and lasting effect on my life. This book is for anyone searching for something different in their lives!
Robyn Cove
Excellent read! Have read this loads of times over years. It never gets old even if I am getting older
Brian O
An account of one of Carlos Casteneda's apprentices. Has it's own insight but is some what less dynamic than the writings of Casteneda.
David
Very imaginative. A layered process of personal development described by the author that unfolds much like a nice mystery novel.
William
Another of Castaneda's cult members tries to transmogrify modern shamanism into a crass commercial project.
Tom
Real Good, It's nice to have another perspective on the Toltec idears.
Cary Kostka
An amazing story that has left me wondering where my path will be taking me.
Jane Doe
Sep 14, 2007 Jane Doe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i would love itt if someone wolud donate this book to me.. a kind soul..
Zrinka
Zrinka marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
  • Second Ring of Power
  • El haiku de las palabras perdidas
  • Il segreto del Bosco Vecchio
  • Mira si yo te querré
  • Kissing The Limitless: Deep Magic and the Great Work of Transforming Yourself and the World
  • Sorcerer's Apprentice: My Life with Carlos Castaneda