Start by marking “The Grub-and-Stakers Spin a Yarn (Grub-and-Stakers #4)” as Want to Read:
The Grub-and-Stakers Spin a Yarn (Grub-and-Stakers #4)

The Grub-and-Stakers Spin a Yarn (Grub-And-Stakers #4)

Twin-toting Dittany Monk, her Western-writer husband Osbert, and the Grub and Stake Gardening and Roving Club are snarled in another murder. Miss Jane Fuzzywuzzy's Yarnery is the wildest, woolliest place in Lobelia Falls, Ontario. Expecting cousins from England, Miss Jane finds the corpse of a local mincemeat magnate cluttering her clean sidewalk.
Published February 1st 1990 by Avon Books (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Grub-and-Stakers Spin a Yarn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grub-and-Stakers Spin a Yarn

Ed
Jul 25, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it
#4 in The Grub and Stakers series.

When word gets out that Dittany Monk, the sleuthing gardener of Lobelia Falls, is expecting twins, every knitter in town races to Miss Jane Fuzzywuzzy's Yarnery to begin work on a complete wardrobe of hats, booties, and tiny sweaters. One customer, however, has even more urgent business: the man with the gunshot wounds in his back. The victim stumbles out of a bullet-ridden car, dripping blood all over the freshly cleaned sidewalk, and dies with a peculiar phras
Jenn Estepp
The library copy I read of this probably should've been weeded out of the collection a long time ago, so half the time I was reading this I was worried it was about to fall apart, which wasn't helpful. Ditany and Osbert are still probably my second favorite of MacLeod's sleuthing couples, but this one was pretty over the top and yet also somewhat predictable. Quite the feat. And yet, I still love them ever so much.
Maria
May 05, 2013 Maria rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Even for zany Ms. MacLeod, this one was a bit over the top. On the whole though I enjoyed it thoroughly, especially the plays on words and the vocabulary. I can't remember the last time I heard someone use the word "titivate" in conversation. And what is cullen skink? I've heard of haggis, so I figure it may be something nasty. And I wish Ms. MacLeod hadn't gone into so much detail about what goes into mincemeat. I used to like mincemeat pies, but I'm pretty sure the ones I had didn't have shred ...more
Kathryn McCary
Apr 03, 2010 Kathryn McCary rated it really liked it
Shelves: genre-fiction
Charlotte MacLeod, writing as Alisa Craig, lets her passion for character theming run riot at Mother Matilda's Mincemeat factory in this fourth grub-and-stakers book. She also has a good deal to say about the creative mind, as both Osbert Monk and his Aunt Arethusa talk about and demonstrate how the process of writing works; this time they are accompanied by Agnes Phiffer, the artist whose medium is kitsch. It's all amazingly hilarious.

One fascinating, and perhaps unintentional, glimpse of how t
Kaylynn
Oct 03, 2011 Kaylynn rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Wonderful setting and characters but only a mediocre mystery.
Carla
Carla added it
Sep 20, 2016
Trea
Trea marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Cs
Cs marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
k reeves
k reeves rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Aug 04, 2016
Jennifer Widmer
Jennifer Widmer marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Dinah Richards
Dinah Richards rated it it was amazing
Jul 16, 2016
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 01, 2016
Toni Shulenberger
Toni Shulenberger rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Mike
Mike rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2016
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2016
Kajehas
Kajehas rated it liked it
May 30, 2016
Andrea Harris
Andrea Harris marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2016
Cheryl Danneil
Cheryl Danneil marked it as to-read
May 18, 2016
Dave Cheever
Dave Cheever rated it it was amazing
May 18, 2016
Sharon Cumings
Sharon Cumings marked it as to-read
May 11, 2016
Lynn
Lynn rated it liked it
May 15, 2016
Carol
Carol marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2016
Jill
Jill added it
Apr 20, 2016
Shelley Flanders
Shelley Flanders rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2016
  • The Convivial Codfish (Kelling & Bittersohn, #5)
  • Murder in the Chateau (Eleanor Roosevelt, #15)

Grub-And-Stakers (5 books)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Move a Mountain (Grub-and-Stakers Mystery, #1)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Quilt a Bee (Grub-And-Stakers #2)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers Pinch a Poke (Grub-And-Stakers #3)
  • The Grub-And-Stakers House a Haunt (Grub-And-Stakers #5)