Start by marking “Backpack Gourmet: Good Hot Grub You Can Make at Home, Dehydrate, and Pack for Quick, Easy, and Healthy Eating on the Trail” as Want to Read:

Over 160 recipes for soups, stews, pasta, casseroles, and breakfast and snack ideasPotato Soup Parmesan, Seafood Stew, Sweet and Sour Noodles, Spicy ChickenTips on drying food in a dehydrator or ovenMeals on the trail can be as delicious and varied as meals prepared at home. You can create meals to suit your tastes or diet--vegetarian, low fat, Asian, Italian. Meals prepar ...more
Published December 1st 2002 by Stackpole Books

To ask other readers questions about Backpack Gourmet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Backpack Gourmet

Felicia A
May 28, 2012 Felicia A rated it really liked it
I heart this book so hard, and I am not even a backpacker. In fact, I stay as far away from the woods and mountains and trails as I can possibly get. If there is not a Starbucks within shouting distance, I am just lost, city girl that I am.

That said, I totally am a prepper-ish type, and this book is awesome for that. Prepred dehydrated meals that you can purchase come from God knows where and contain God knows what. If you prepare and dehydrate your meals yourself, you have much more control ove
Michelle
Jul 24, 2014 Michelle rated it really liked it
I really liked that there was variety in this book that is not available with commercial freeze-dried foods. I also liked that you cook the meal, then dehydrate. This makes cooking in camp a cinch. I just tried out rehydrating one last week on an overnight trip. I let it sit for a couple minutes with water over it. Brought it to a boil, stirred, and let it sit a few more. Great consistency, great flavor. So much easier and cheaper than store bought backpacking foods!
Christy Keeler
Sep 06, 2015 Christy Keeler rated it really liked it
Excellent advice and tasty recipes. Different from similar books, these recipes are all single pot recipes. You make the full meal at home, dehydrate it as a complete meal, and then cover it with water and just reheat on the trail. The recipes don't require mixing in additional ingredients while camping and take seemingly less time to reheat.
Erin
Oct 16, 2015 Erin rated it it was ok
Shelves: yummy-recipes
Being gluten free, this book was ok, it would require a lot of tweaking to the recipes but I could manage. I personally don't eat a lot of refined carbs like pasta and bread (even if GF) and that's what the majority of this was.

I hate to say it, but the most helpful part of this book was the suggested readings in the back.
Rhoda
Nov 30, 2015 Rhoda rated it really liked it
Shelves: how-to
Only criticism is that all the breakfast options; both cold and hot are sweet. Otherwise, I'm really excited to try some of these recipes - even for long road trips; not just hiking and camping.
Kate
Jul 07, 2015 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, camping
These recipes look really good, even for just eating at home! I will have to look into a dehydrator to try with our family's favorites. These will be great for trips to the Boundary Waters!
Cory verner
Jun 27, 2012 Cory verner rated it liked it
Shelves: backpacking
A good quick read if you just want some information on dehydrating food. Probably is best used to get new ideas for the trail. If you've ever been stuck for days with a pack full of Mountain House meals, you know you need to do something...that's what prompted me to pick up this book.

In reality much of what is found here can be located for free on the web, but if you want an easy way to browse hundreds of recipes in one place then maybe this book is for you. I prefer to have my wife make a few
Angela
May 28, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: backpackers, kayakers
Highly recommended for planning light backpacking trips. I've gotten into some of the one-bag cooking lately, and this makes it all less complicated (and cheaper) by giving you recipes to make in full ahead of time, and then dehydrate. Much easier than trying to find all sorts of already-dried ingredients to combine. I tried the Salmon Stir Fry for this past weekend, and it was great!
Mar 30, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks, 2012
I gleaned a few ideas from this (well, mostly the idea that we could make hummus and dehydrate it) but didn't find it super-inspiring overall. I did like that although almost all the meals are dehydrated, they include instructions on how to use your oven if you don't own a dehydrator.
Elizabeth Webber
Oct 07, 2013 Elizabeth Webber rated it liked it
I've used the recipes in this book several times and have always found them practical and tasty. The recipes are thoughtful about weight, taste, and nutrition for energy. A good book if you tend to know a while beforehand that you are going on a trip.
Chrissie
May 25, 2010 Chrissie rated it it was ok
This book had a wide variety of recipes, yet nearly everything was dehydrated. It also wasn't very vegetarian-friendly. If you're a meat-eater planning for a longer hike, this might work for you - it just didn't have recipes that interested me.
Bob Miller
I prepared several trail snack receipes from this book: all were great. She focuses on one pot meals more than some more 'elaborate' backpacking cookbooks. If I ever acquire a dehydrator, I will get back to this cookbook.
Matthew
Oct 11, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
i am inspired by the recipes and if I had a dehydrator I would so be into making some of these for my families adventures.
Martha
Apr 03, 2008 Martha rated it really liked it
This gave me ideas not only for camping meals, but for improvements to my 72-hour kits.
Kristen Gurri
Jun 15, 2011 Kristen Gurri rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-non-fiction, 2011
Great recipes but I really need to get a better dehydrator before I try them.
Holly
Aug 07, 2011 Holly rated it liked it
Made copies of recipes, now need to actually try them.
Graham
Oct 15, 2007 Graham rated it it was ok
All-in-one meals pretty much result in dehydrated slop.
Nicole
Feb 10, 2011 Nicole marked it as to-read
Shelves: food-books
In preparation for this spring?
Ashley
Ashley rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Jeana Small
Jeana Small marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Joy Burckhard
Joy Burckhard marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Samuel Kordik
Samuel Kordik marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
John A Halstead
John A Halstead marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Toshi
Toshi marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Cristina Williamson
Cristina Williamson rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
Janelle Houston
Janelle Houston marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Elde
Elde marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Kitrina Arbuckle
Kitrina Arbuckle rated it liked it
Jul 14, 2016
  • SPOON: Soup, Stew & Chowder Recipes (Spring) (Cooking in Season)
  • Chicken Cookbook
  • Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm
  • The Quinoa Cookbook: Everyday Superfood Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet
  • SteamDrunks: 101 Steampunk Cocktails and Mixed Drinks
  • 30 Delicious Family Favorite Cake Recipes
  • Retro Family Recipes : Old Fashioned Recipes from the 1960's-1990's
  • Top 30 Easy Vegetarian Slow Cooker Recipes for Busy Women: Set It and Forget It (First Vegetarian Recipes Cookbook for Busy Women Vol. 2)
  • Herbs Gone Wild! Ancient Remedies Turned Loose
  • 30 Perfect Popcorn Recipes : How to Make Sweet & Savory Gourmet Popcorn at Home (The Green Gourmet)
  • Amazing Quinoa: Easy Recipes the Whole Family Will Love! (Healthy Cookbook Series #3)
  • The 2011 Book Blogger's Cookbook (The Book Blogger's Cookbook)
  • The Breakfast Taco Book
  • 1,001 Best Slow-Cooker Recipes: The Only Slow-Cooker Cookbook You'll Ever Need
  • Taste of Home Fast Fixes with Mixes New Edition: 314 Delicious No-Fuss Recipes
  • The Organized Kitchen: Keep Your Kitchen Clean, Organized, And Full Of Good Food and Save Time, Money, (And Your Sanity) Every Day!
  • Quick Fix Healthy Breakfasts Under 300 Calories: That Keep You Feeling Energized and Help You Lose Weight
  • 1,001 Best Grilling Recipes: Delicious, Easy-to-Make Recipes from Around the World