Start by marking “National Geographic: The Photographs” as Want to Read:
National Geographic: The Photographs

National Geographic: The Photographs

4.34  ·  Rating Details ·  1,901 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
This stunning volume was the gift book of the year when it first published, and the images that grace its pages remain iconic. From the famous Afghan girl whose haunting green eyes stare out from the book’s cover, and her poignant story that captured the world’s interest, to award-winning photography culled from the Society’s vast archives, The Photographs offers readers a ...more
Published September 16th 2008 by National Geographic (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about National Geographic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about National Geographic

Elaine
Mar 06, 2017 Elaine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-it
Very informative considering how much of the book is taken up by photographs. Great short history of the National Geographic and it's photographers. I'll probably be reading quite a few of their biographies or memoirs if I can find them.
Apratim Mukherjee
Jun 02, 2016 Apratim Mukherjee rated it it was amazing
This is a very rare book as far as Asia is concerned.This book not only has a collection of photographs but also tells about the photographers and their assignment.The book makes you love photos.
Liralen
Apr 27, 2013 Liralen rated it really liked it
It pretty much goes without saying that the photography in this book is fantastic (it's some of the best of National Geographic, after all), but what really makes it is the accompanying text -- details about how a shot was set up, or how and where the photographer preferred to work, or what was new and innovative in the field at the time. It makes for not just a pretty read but also a really interesting one.
Bader
May 06, 2008 Bader rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one example of kind of books that you don't want to come to the end when you start. You want to get more and more of beautiful, charming, and educating photos with very nice articles having amazing stories and lessons.

I really admire what National Geographic did and is doing for the humanity.
I enjoyed both the photos and the articles of this book.
Pauline Rouse
Sep 03, 2012 Pauline Rouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply beautiful. But the girl on the cover freaks me out......she has pretty eyes....?
Rajesh
Jan 08, 2009 Rajesh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Photographs offers readers an inside look at National Geographic and a sharp-eyed view of the world. The book showcases the skill and imagination of such notable Geographic photographers as David Doubilet, William Albert Allard, Sam Abell, Jim Stanfield, Jodi Cobb, Jim Brandenburg, David Alan Harvey, and many more. They share their techniques, as well as personal and colorful anecdotes about individual images and their adventures in the field—sometimes humorous, sometimes terrifying, always ...more
Nov 24, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-me
I wanted to hear more back stories to the pictures. When the photographers were describing where they went and what they saw I wanted the pictures to be corresponding on the next page./ I wrote the 1st half of this review when I had the book put into the can't finish section and gave it two stars. I have finished it. I retract my 1st option and move it up to 4 stars. Goes to show sometime you just have to be in the right mind set to enjoy certain things in life.
Kamil
Mar 10, 2013 Kamil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
O wydawnictwie National Geographic można pisać naprawdę długo. Nie ma chyba zbyt dużo ludzi, którzy o nim nie słyszeli. Wydawcy dbają, aby to co oddają nam, czytelnikom (i fotografom), w te łaknące coraz więcej i więcej łapska, zawsze charakteryzowało się wysoką jakością i kunsztem. Trwa to już tak długo, że można śmiało mówić o osobnym miejscu na kartach historii. A "National Geographic oczami fotografów" właśnie jest swego rodzaju "podręcznikiem historii".

Nie jest to książka, lecz foto-album.
Jessica
Apr 01, 2009 Jessica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amazing, breathtaking, and Beautiful. I hope someday I can take just one picture as good as these.

These photographers from the early 1900's loved their work. They lugged their heavy and fragile equipment around in the most remote areas. They even had thier developing chemicals and built improvised dark rooms. What an inspiration of commitment.

I am amazed at the ability and talent of Charles Martin, who was able to take the first color photographs underwater of fish swimming. He had to get every
Jori Richardson
Dec 01, 2012 Jori Richardson rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jori by: my boyfriend
Shelves: books-owned
I have always thought that National Geographic has amazing photography. My boyfriend loves the magazine, so I got this book for him. The photos are split up into different themes, and they were more focused on gritty reality than beautiful, sweeping epic visionaries. Maybe it was just the last NG book I looked at, but I certainly remember a different feel to those photos. Not that these photos aren't excellent, though.
Be sure to read the text as well, especially the little captions that tell you
Jaimie
Aug 19, 2013 Jaimie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As much as I enjoyed some of the photos in this book, I feel that it could have done with some major editing since it clearly lacked any sort of organization. Not only did the writing not match up with the photos alongside it in many cases, but a lot of the discussed photos were not even included in the book altogether! In a lot of ways I feel like they could have just left out the writing entirely and stuck with captions, as that would have left more room for photos and I wouldn't have wasted m ...more
Tutankhamun18
Jul 20, 2016 Tutankhamun18 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this so so much! Fascinating and beautiful photos, many of which I will soon use as reference imagery for drawings. I really like the short essays about the photographers of the national geographic during the 70s-90s. Their stories are epic adventures part scientists discovering new species and pieceing together new frankenstein cameras and part journalists and anthropologists and adventures infiltrating unknown land and customs. Great!!!
Far
Aug 02, 2011 Far rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have-it
An absolutley beautiful collection of images. The best part is having information to put the images into context - the message, the reason, the situation where it had been captured and how the image had been captured.

There are some of my favourite NG images in there but there are also a slew of new photographs that have gained a second look because of the stories that have been incorporated.

This was a beautiful gift to have recieved.
Kelsey
Anyone wanting to take a deeper look at the our planet and it's inhabitants will find themselves trapped! This book was outstanding! I loved learning about the photos and the photographers and their amazing journey that they work hard to preserve the past- for the future... gives great tips for photography taking as well.
Dvir Oren
Oct 30, 2014 Dvir Oren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Aww a true favorite, I read it as a kid, the photographes are absolutely beautiful and inspire a kid and show a glimpse of the world, very romantic haha.

I reread it every year or two and the pictures and the stories they portray are mesmerizing, I wish I had this book next to me right now...
Phillip
Not the selection of pictures. Prose narration and stories about individual photographers and National Geographic's photographic mission add to attraction and more about photographers and their stories would have been a nice addition.
Serge Pierro
Oct 02, 2012 Serge Pierro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
National Geographic is known for their outstanding photography, and this collection proves it. An amazing array of top notch photographs covering a wide range of subjects from the pages of the magazine.
April
Jun 14, 2009 April rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-nonfiction
This book was a gift, and it's the perfect coffee table book. The pictures are incredible and tell real stories. The stories behind the photographs are given, and they are beautiful. It's wonderful to get a sense of past and present throughout the world.
Juliana
This is a nice little compact edition of some of best photographs taken by National Geographic Magazine. Included are essays grouping the stories which tell a bit about the changing nature of the magazine's editorial policies and the photographers they've worked with.
Dr.Nouf AlKaabi
Dec 01, 2009 Dr.Nouf AlKaabi rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
The picture in the book were amazing.
The book was mostly concentrating on how national geographic's photographer developed and what they faced. I learen that to be a photographer you need more than a "camera".
Ramesh Prabhu
Jun 29, 2013 Ramesh Prabhu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you really need a reason to buy this magnificent National Geographic book, here it is: http://bit.ly/PrabhuA105 (The Reading Room)
Miguel Ángel Vilela
Jan 28, 2011 Miguel Ángel Vilela rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any photographer
Shelves: photography
Long time I finished reading this one, but I'd gladly read it again.
Good lessons about photography. And about life.
Margarite Baltruweit
Jun 20, 2011 Margarite Baltruweit rated it it was amazing
Vidushi
Apr 13, 2015 Vidushi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 rated Non-Fiction and Information book. A photographic journal and a MUST READ for photographers..
Valerie Sherman
Dec 25, 2007 Valerie Sherman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another one of those collections where I wish I could give it more than 5 stars - more like 20?
Peter
Jul 15, 2014 Peter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(added this years later; read it before Goodreads)

Probably enjoyed it.

Newmarket library.
Mal
Feb 27, 2017 Mal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The underwater photos are honestly breath-taking.
Jack Kirby and the X-man
The best of the best photos. I loved National Geographic growing up - and the photos were always a highlight. So you take that hundreds of thousands of photos taken by National Geographic photographers, cull it to the tens of thousands of photos included in the magazine, then cull it again down to the ~400ish that appear in this book - that makes for some fantastic photos.

It lost a star because:
1. The National Geographic Photography Website is so good - why buy a book?
2. There are so many Natio
Lydia
Jul 21, 2013 Lydia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Simply excellent. Normally with photo-heavy books I skim over the text and only read captions. With this book, however, I read every single word and gained a wealth of knowledge regarding the history and philosophies of NatGeo.

And the photos were soooo good.

I loved this! Borrowed if from a library and am considering buying it for my own collection.
Jagati Bagchi
Mar 14, 2010 Jagati Bagchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A picture tells a thousand words well in this case it tells an epic a human epic. These pictures are of every conceivable emotions. What amazes me is the time when they were frozen in eternity did the photogrphers anticipated such moves or were they just lucky. And at times like this you know that there is a hand of god to guide you to immortality.
  • In Focus: National Geographic Greatest Portraits
  • 100 Photographs That Changed the World
  • Woman in the Mirror
  • Ansel Adams: Our National Parks
  • National Geographic Photography Field Guide: Secrets to Making Great Pictures
  • How to Photograph Absolutely Everything: Successful Pictures from Your Digital Camera
  • The Moment It Clicks: Photography Secrets from One of the World's Top Shooters
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography
  • The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 2 Book for Digital Photographers
  • Henri Cartier-Bresson: The Modern Century
Leah Bendavid-Val is a historian of photography who has worked with Russian photographers for more than two decades. She is the author most recently of Song Without Words: The Photographs & Diaries of Countess Sophia Tolstoy (published in October 2007). Her two earlier books about Russian photographers and themes are Propaganda & Dreams (1999); and Changing Reality (1991).

Bendavid-Val is f
More about Leah Bendavid-Val...