Start by marking “The Selkie (Sea Fey Book 2)” as Want to Read:
The Selkie  (Sea Fey Book 2)

The Selkie (Sea Fey)

Sequestered by her mistress at Fintry Castle on the Scottish coast, Hexy Garrow sheds seven tears from her past, which are swallowed by the waves. When the water joins those tears, it completes an ancient ritual that summons a mythical prince who is everything that Hexy has ever desired in a man. Original.
Published February 11th 2003 by Love Spell (first published January 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Selkie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Selkie

Sirena by Donna Jo NapoliIngo by Helen DunmoreThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
562 books — 847 voters
Rising by Holly KellyForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsSiren's Secret by Debbie HerbertTempest Rising by Tracy DeebsSweetest Curse by Susan D. Taylor
Mermaid Romances
123 books — 178 voters

More lists with this book...

Lake Oz Fic Chick
In this twentieth-century fairy tale, Hexy Garrow is a paid companion to Jillian Foxworthy, an overendulged blonde who is holed up in a castle on the Scottish coast. When Jillian leaves her fur coat on the beach, she sends Hexy after it. Lonely, heartbroken, and grieving for her lost brother, Hexy takes a few minutes to weep at the edge of the water and her tears bring selkie prince Ruairidh O'Uruisg into her life – preceded by his fur, naturally, which Hexy mistakes for her employer's coat. Whe ...more
Crystal
May 25, 2011 Crystal rated it really liked it
While I was expecting a Selkie - it IS titled The Selkie after all - the time period was surprising. Set in the 1920s - a time period mostly neglected in Romancelandia - in a drafty old castle in Scotland, well, at least in part.

There is a bit of insta-lust but it's likely due to the compulsion spell. And...I can't help but wonder if the h's employer set her up. Let me explain.

Our h doesn't realize she's a speshul snowflake - a rare person who can fully mate with a Selkie. She also has no idea t
Gail
Jul 14, 2013 Gail rated it it was ok
In many ways, “The Selkie” resembles most run-of-the-mill romance novels: poor writing, heavy foreshadowing, and predictable plot. But I tend to forgive these sins in a book that captures my imagination. “The Selkie” fails to do so for four reasons. First and foremost, sister is fcking a seal! In order to produce an image of a magical-man-seal good enough to convince the reader to suspend reality, the author ends up describing a totally physically unappealing hero (slicked back hair, small ears, ...more
Ambre
Mar 31, 2012 Ambre rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful surprise! The cover on this led me to expect the usual overwrought, purple prose romance. Instead it is an elegantly written, well researched romantic fantasy written in an old fashioned style.

People who are fans of mass produced romance might not like it. It is a different style- more Bujold than Moning. The leading man is not a bohunk, the leading woman is not a vampire slayer. But I loved it- very fairy tale and lovely.

I think it would get better reviews if it was published a
Feb 04, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pnr, folklore
Even though I gave this book an average rating, it ended up being a pivotal book for me. I probably picked it up because it had the folklore element of selkies, and I've enjoyed fantasy and revisionist lit for a very long time. This book became my introduction to what would come to be known as paranormal romance.
Heather
Aug 19, 2012 Heather rated it it was ok
While Melanie Jackson has a lovely way with prose, The Selkie storyline was very two dimensional. Throughout the book, I felt that it was an imaginative story trapped in a shallow romance novel. I kept hoping that it would somehow rise above it, but sadly, it never did.
Aug 16, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Yea, I get that it's a romance, but this was way too cheesy for me. Wasn't convinced of their "love" at all.
Jessica Smith
Nov 20, 2013 Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
Need some brain trash.
Diane Carlson
Dec 03, 2016 Diane Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feel good fantasy

This was a feel good fantasy. Even when the language was difficult to comprehend at times, I figured out the meaning and was a nice read.
Andrea
Jun 27, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I loved it and I do believe she us going to be a fav author.
Priscilla Lopez
Jan 01, 2016 Priscilla Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Read different and enjoyed it.

I found my self being pulled more into the plot and my imagination taking over . I really enjoyed this book .
penelopewanders
Jan 07, 2010 penelopewanders rated it liked it
I do enjoy stories about selkies... this one is set in the 1920's in Scotland, although that doesn't make so much of an impact. Fun, quick read.
Kristy
Sep 25, 2009 Kristy rated it did not like it
This was way too slow moving for me. 5 chapters in and not nothing was going on, so I gave up.
Lizzie
I'll have to write more later.

Elegantly written, wonderful visuals, excellent storytelling, overall a beautifully told sweet romance. i loved it!
Mariah
Aug 13, 2013 Mariah rated it did not like it
for some reason I just didn't like this story, it had a good base, it just didn't click.
Hillary
Jan 22, 2016 Hillary rated it liked it
Loved it.
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Judith H. Collins
Judith H. Collins rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Cayti Burch
Cayti Burch rated it it was ok
Jun 17, 2011
Vânia Valente
Vânia Valente rated it liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Rae
Rae rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Anne King
Anne King rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2008
Gma Ren
Gma Ren rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2017
Temi
Temi rated it liked it
Jan 10, 2012
Katherine Rose Almus
Katherine Rose Almus rated it did not like it
Jan 30, 2015
j.elaine
j.elaine rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2009
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
May 21, 2016
Caitlin
Caitlin rated it it was ok
Jun 25, 2012
Tiffany Kruse
Tiffany Kruse rated it really liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Rebekah
Rebekah rated it it was ok
Dec 11, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Last Mermaid
  • Prince of Danger (Isles/Templar, #3)
  • Wild Blue Under (Tritone Trilogy #2)
  • Return of the Highlander (Immortal Warriors, #1)
  • McClairen's Isle: The Passionate One (McClairen's Isle, #1)
  • Selkie Girl
  • The Mermaid of Penperro
  • Magical Seduction
  • My Lord Jack
  • Highland Knight
  • The Book of the Seven Delights
  • The MacGowan Betrothal (Highland Rogues, #2)
  • Once Upon a Knight (Knights, #5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Scottish Romance
  • Stargazer (Oasis, #1)
  • You Only Love Twice
  • Bonds of Fire
  • The Wedding Escape (Orphan, #3)
Melanie, an award-winning author of more than fifty novels, stories and poems lives with her writer husband in the California Gold Country with their cat (also a writer who has a page on myspace) and their dog (who is hoping to get a page on facebook as soon as she masters typing). Melanie likes gardening but hates the deer who also like her garden, and she volunteers at a local animal shelter.
More about Melanie Jackson...

Sea Fey (2 books)
  • The Selkie Bride (Sea Fey Prequel)