Start by marking “The Forever Dog” as Want to Read:
The Forever Dog

The Forever Dog

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  22 reviews
No one knows exactly what kind of dog Corky is, but if you ask his owner, Mike, the answer is simple: "He's my dog."

Mike and Corky are best friends; they do everything together. In fact they even make a plan. Mike tells Corky that they will always do everything together—forever. It is their Forever Plan.

And it works well. From one year to the next Corky is right there wit...more
Published April 3rd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Forever Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forever Dog

Jackie
The Forever Dog, by Bill Cochran and illustrated by Dan Andreasen. This is a story of a boy name Mike and his dog Corky. Mike and Corky are the best of friends and do everything together. Mike taught Corky tricks, where to do his business, and how to play fetch. He would take Corky on walks and would always be there for Corky. They had a forever plan which meant that they would be together forever. One day Mike comes home from school and Corky isn’t there. He asks his mom what happened and she e...more
Erinn
Jul 15, 2008 Erinn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kindergarten - Third
Recommended to Erinn by: ME
Shelves: picturebooks
After reviewing lots of different books in Barnes and Noble I stumbled upon this picture book. Thinking it was a cute cover, I picked it up and read. By the end of the story my eyes were filled with tears.

Not knowing how to handle death of pets in a school setting, this story could be recommended. It is about a little boy who has a dog for his best friend. The heartfelt tale explains feelings the little boy encounters after the death of his dog. Children can connect to this book on a number of d...more
Christy
This is a fantastic book but it resulted in a lot of tears. I love the way this book accurately depicts all of the feelings we experienced in the loss of our dog (sadness, anger, loneliness). I also love the way the book explains that even though your dog is gone physically, she will always live in your heart. I think this book is amazing, but it made me cry when I read it to Collin.
Bethany Boutin
For anyone who has ever loved and lost a pet, this book will bring back the tears but deliver the message that good memories of a loved one outlast the pain of loss.
Ruth Ann
This book deals with the loss of a beloved pet. It is well written and honest, addressing the pain and suggesting that good memories will help one cope.
Includes a CD with story narration.
babyhippoface
Mike & his dog, Corky, are best friends whose plan to be together forever seems to be ruined when Corky gets sick and dies. Mike moves from sadness because his friend is gone to anger at Corky for not keeping his promise to be with Mike forever. Both the illustrations and the simply-told story are sentimental but not saccharine. School counselors may want to keep this hand for helping children move through the stages of grief.
Jess Brown
This is a nice book to help a child who is coping with the loss of pet. In this story, Mike adores his dog, Corky, and the two of them do everything together. I thought Cochran did a nice job of helping explain what is happening and what it feels like to lose a pet. I'm going to remember this one so that I can hand it to kids who are coping with that loss.
Jennie
May 15, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: reommended
Recommended to Jennie by: H.P. at CPE
A perfectly written book about life and death. A boy and his dog create a forever plan to be together. As life speeds ahead the boy grows and the dog eventually becomes ill and dies. The mother explains to the son that he will never forget his dog, and his memories will be the continuing of the forever plan. gr. K-4.
Emily Goodin
This book is so sad! I think it is a great book to teach about what happens to pets when they die, and it also provides comfort to those who have lost pets. Even though it has a sad story line, it does teach a good lesson about pets and friendship. I would definitely have this book in my classroom for the older grades.
Oletha
Jul 31, 2009 Oletha rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who has children & pets
Shelves: my-kids-books
Our dog passed, and I found this book really helped my 4 year old son understand more about death. Of course when Corky dies in the book that's the saddest part. It helped our son understand that although our dog is no longer physically here, she'll always be in our hearts and our memories.
Adrienne Furness
This is a good book, but I'm starting to think that Wallace Wallace had a point about the dead dog books. Yeesh. I do not need to read another one. I'd recommend this for kids with pets, kids who have lost a pet, or kids coping with any kind of loss, really.
Natalie
I'm making an effort to be more prepared when I get the occassional request for books to help children deal with the death of a loved one. Be it a relative or a family pet, literature is often looked towards for help.
Alida
This is one of the books that you need to buy if you ever plan on getting a pet for you or a child... because eventually you will need it. It does its job wonderfully. I still miss my Bogart though....
Ashley Allen
I would use this in my classroom to help students understand the death of a pet. I would talk about feelings and emotions. I would include a writing activity at the end of the story.
Kathy Ellen Davis
I think this book is great for losing a pet. Great illustrations too!
See more here: http://kraftyellenwrites.com/2011/03/...
Tessa
I really liked this book. The book does great job of covering a hard topic. The death of a pet is something many children can relate with.
Angela
realistic feelings addressed concerning the loss of a pet. Good adult picture book.
Marissa Garcia
The best book on losing a pet and coping with grief that I've read for children.
Laurie
This book gives kids a way to still love their pets that pass away.
sylas
it was mostly just ok. nothing to write home about. 2.5 stars.
Amy
A nice book for a kid who goes through this.
Monica
Death of pet dog.
Jessica Smith
Jessica Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014