Start by marking “The Forever Dog” as Want to Read:
The Forever Dog

The Forever Dog

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  73 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
No one knows exactly what kind of dog Corky is, but if you ask his owner, Mike, the answer is simple: "He's my dog."

Mike and Corky are best friends; they do everything together. In fact they even make a plan. Mike tells Corky that they will always do everything together—forever. It is their Forever Plan.

And it works well. From one year to the next Corky is right there wit
Published April 3rd 2007 by HarperCollins (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Forever Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Forever Dog

Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson RawlsOld Yeller by Fred GipsonMarley and Me by John GroganThe Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth SteinThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
The dog dies...a cautionary list.
177th out of 195 books — 174 voters
Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteA Little Princess by Frances Hodgson BurnettIn Memory of Dad by Maranda RussellA Monster Calls by Patrick Ness
Best Children's Books About Death
24th out of 100 books — 50 voters

More lists with this book...

Oct 23, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: 520realisticfic
Children’s first experience with loss is often the death of a family pet. Author Bill Cochran offers his 2007 picture book, The Forever Dog to parents and teachers looking for a book to support a grieving child.

This is a tender story of the love and friendship between a young boy, Mike, and his dog, Corky. Through the text and pictures, the readers clearly sees the depth of this relationship. The pair is always shown together and even make a promise to be “forever friends". Until one day when Mi
Jackie
May 16, 2010 Jackie rated it it was amazing
The Forever Dog, by Bill Cochran and illustrated by Dan Andreasen. This is a story of a boy name Mike and his dog Corky. Mike and Corky are the best of friends and do everything together. Mike taught Corky tricks, where to do his business, and how to play fetch. He would take Corky on walks and would always be there for Corky. They had a forever plan which meant that they would be together forever. One day Mike comes home from school and Corky isn’t there. He asks his mom what happened and she e ...more
Erinn
Jul 15, 2008 Erinn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kindergarten - Third
Recommended to Erinn by: ME
Shelves: picturebooks
After reviewing lots of different books in Barnes and Noble I stumbled upon this picture book. Thinking it was a cute cover, I picked it up and read. By the end of the story my eyes were filled with tears.

Not knowing how to handle death of pets in a school setting, this story could be recommended. It is about a little boy who has a dog for his best friend. The heartfelt tale explains feelings the little boy encounters after the death of his dog. Children can connect to this book on a number of d
Christy
Sep 15, 2008 Christy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: collin
This is a fantastic book but it resulted in a lot of tears. I love the way this book accurately depicts all of the feelings we experienced in the loss of our dog (sadness, anger, loneliness). I also love the way the book explains that even though your dog is gone physically, she will always live in your heart. I think this book is amazing, but it made me cry when I read it to Collin.
Bethany Boutin
Aug 13, 2013 Bethany Boutin rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
For anyone who has ever loved and lost a pet, this book will bring back the tears but deliver the message that good memories of a loved one outlast the pain of loss.
Anjali
Dec 19, 2015 Anjali rated it really liked it
We have a 15 year old dog who we love dearly, and are preparing to say goodbye to in the near future. It is heartbreaking for us all. I read this book to my 4.5 year old son tonight. We had had an opening talk about our pets not living forever this afternoon, but I think this book, and our talk tonight helped by giving him another boy and his dog to talk about.

Honestly, I wept the first time I read this book, and I teared up again reading it to my son tonight. The book is good, the subject matt
Ruth Ann
May 06, 2014 Ruth Ann rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book
This book deals with the loss of a beloved pet. It is well written and honest, addressing the pain and suggesting that good memories will help one cope.
Includes a CD with story narration.
Ashley Valenzuela
May 13, 2015 Ashley Valenzuela rated it it was amazing
This story illustrates how Mike learns to cope with the death of his beloved dog Corky. This book supports students dealing with some form of loss.
Danelle Spicer
Feb 01, 2015 Danelle Spicer rated it really liked it
Sad book about a young boy who deals with the death of his dog. A very sad story for children on adjusting to a death of a pet.
Leahsaur
Feb 21, 2016 Leahsaur rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
I like that this story brings you through several stages of grief and loss and it very matter-of-fact about it.
Courtney
This book would be good to use for children who have lost a pet. It depicts true events that could happen to any child and shows the process of getting through it.
babyhippoface
Mike & his dog, Corky, are best friends whose plan to be together forever seems to be ruined when Corky gets sick and dies. Mike moves from sadness because his friend is gone to anger at Corky for not keeping his promise to be with Mike forever. Both the illustrations and the simply-told story are sentimental but not saccharine. School counselors may want to keep this hand for helping children move through the stages of grief.
Jess Brown
This is a nice book to help a child who is coping with the loss of pet. In this story, Mike adores his dog, Corky, and the two of them do everything together. I thought Cochran did a nice job of helping explain what is happening and what it feels like to lose a pet. I'm going to remember this one so that I can hand it to kids who are coping with that loss.
Jennie
May 15, 2009 Jennie added it
Recommends it for: reommended
Recommended to Jennie by: H.P. at CPE
A perfectly written book about life and death. A boy and his dog create a forever plan to be together. As life speeds ahead the boy grows and the dog eventually becomes ill and dies. The mother explains to the son that he will never forget his dog, and his memories will be the continuing of the forever plan. gr. K-4.
Emily Goodin
This book is so sad! I think it is a great book to teach about what happens to pets when they die, and it also provides comfort to those who have lost pets. Even though it has a sad story line, it does teach a good lesson about pets and friendship. I would definitely have this book in my classroom for the older grades.
Oletha
Jul 31, 2009 Oletha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has children & pets
Shelves: my-kids-books
Our dog passed, and I found this book really helped my 4 year old son understand more about death. Of course when Corky dies in the book that's the saddest part. It helped our son understand that although our dog is no longer physically here, she'll always be in our hearts and our memories.
Adrienne Furness
Jul 27, 2007 Adrienne Furness rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is a good book, but I'm starting to think that Wallace Wallace had a point about the dead dog books. Yeesh. I do not need to read another one. I'd recommend this for kids with pets, kids who have lost a pet, or kids coping with any kind of loss, really.
Natalie
Apr 21, 2009 Natalie rated it liked it
Shelves: grief
I'm making an effort to be more prepared when I get the occassional request for books to help children deal with the death of a loved one. Be it a relative or a family pet, literature is often looked towards for help.
Alida
May 04, 2011 Alida rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of the books that you need to buy if you ever plan on getting a pet for you or a child... because eventually you will need it. It does its job wonderfully. I still miss my Bogart though....
Ashley Allen
I would use this in my classroom to help students understand the death of a pet. I would talk about feelings and emotions. I would include a writing activity at the end of the story.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Mar 07, 2011 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I think this book is great for losing a pet. Great illustrations too!
See more here: http://kraftyellenwrites.com/2011/03/...
Tessa
Oct 10, 2012 Tessa rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. The book does great job of covering a hard topic. The death of a pet is something many children can relate with.
Angela
May 27, 2010 Angela rated it it was amazing
realistic feelings addressed concerning the loss of a pet. Good adult picture book.
Marissa García
Oct 02, 2013 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pets, dogs, grief, anger, death
The best book on losing a pet and coping with grief that I've read for children.
Laurie
Apr 03, 2011 Laurie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
This book gives kids a way to still love their pets that pass away.
sylas
Nov 26, 2012 sylas rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, death-and-dying
it was mostly just ok. nothing to write home about. 2.5 stars.
Amy
Sep 28, 2013 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A nice book for a kid who goes through this.
Monica
Dec 24, 2013 Monica rated it liked it
Death of pet dog.
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Alex
Alex rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2016