Start by marking “Deadwood Beetle, The: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Deadwood Beetle, The: A Novel

Deadwood Beetle, The: A Novel

3.02 of 5 stars 3.02  ·  rating details  ·  86 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Tristan Martens, a retired entomologist, is shaken by the discovery of his mother's sewing table in a New York antique shop. He hasn't seen it since he was a boy in Holland, but he vividly remembers the last time he did. Only Tristan knows the painful truth behind the scrawled - and misunderstood - inscription on the bottom of the table, and he embarks on a scheme to acqui ...more
Audio, 0 pages
Published February 28th 2006 by Brilliance Audio (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Deadwood Beetle, The, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadwood Beetle, The

Lake Oz Fic Chick
Tristan Martens, an elderly entomologist, has found his mother’s old sewing table in a New York antique shop. On it is written the phrase “when the Jews are gone, we will be the next ones." To the owner of the store, these crudely carved words are a “child’s warning” which echo the famous one made during World War II by Martin Niemoeller. But Martens himself carved the words after hearing them from his father, a Nazi collaborator, and he knows their true meaning. His family was hoping to grab in ...more
Laura (booksnob)
Aug 14, 2008 Laura (booksnob) rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Laura (booksnob) by: women's press
This is a novel about one man's secret come back to haunt him late in his life. He struggles throughout the novel with telling the truth as the truth slowly unravels. It is a novel that reflects back on WWII and his family's role as Nazi supporters. It is a short book and worthwhile from my point of view. I really learned a lot about beetles from this book as well. Hence the title and story itself is themed around the study of beetles. Very fascinating book with a great storyline.
Tamara Bennett
a very slow read. was originally intrigued by the 'mystery' of the narrator's past. was ultimately dissatisfied w/ the answer - not very thoroughly discussed & almost an afterthought. not clear. didn't seem to really end a story as much as the bk just stopped.
I had planned to go last year to a reading retreat. In preparation for that event, I bought this and 3 other books. I don't think I would have ever found this book without the reading retreat. I missed the retreat, but found some great books.

Tristan Martens grew up in the Netherlands; moved to the US and studied hard. He is now a retired college professor living in New York City. As he is walking home, Martens unexpectedly seeing something from his past. It is his mother's sewing table.

Slowly, i
Megan Beauchamp
This story starts with an air of mystery that pulls you in. Tristan sees a table from his childhood in an antique store and begins a friendship with the owner in hopes of buying it from her. As their relationship progresses he tells her the truth of the last time he saw the table.

This book started strong for me but towards the middle I began to lose interest. The two main characters have conversations that are hard to follow and understand what they really mean. The mystery of the table is a let
I forgot to post about this until I was returning it to the library last night. Very interesting central concept, which I’ll tell about under a spoiler bar. Nothing you wouldn’t know from reading the jacket. This was one of those nice surprises discovered at the library. I was never really excited about this book while I was reading it, but I think it has very deft plotting. A good example of how to plant a question and then dole out hints.

The plot stems from a septegenarian’s discovery
Beautiful, artfully descriptive and touching writing... lackluster plot and oddly stunted characters.
heel mooi geschreven boek.

het gaat over een man die een tafeltje tegenkomt in een antiekwinkeltje en zeker weet dat het van zijn moeder is geweest. er staat iets aan de onderkant geschreven en alleen hij kent de waarheid achter de tekst. hij wil graag het tafeltje kopen maar de eigenaresse wil het niet verkopen. hij probeert op alle manieren het tafeltje als nog te bemachtigen.
je leert de hoofdpersoon een beetje kennen door middel van de flashbacks die hij heeft en hij beleeft daardoor de trauma
Andrea Sachs
A retired professor with a past. A younger woman with a husband in a coma. Tristan is a sad and lonely man, who can't forget his youth in Holland during the Nazi occupation. Cora is struggling with visiting her husband who never responds to her. The two meet and Tristan falls in love. But this is a sad story - and I found that I really didn't want to finish it, however, I persevered and I'm not sure it was worth the effort.
This was promising-to start-engaging story-developed characters, then
the ball just got dropped. Like there was not enough time to write a proper ending. Oh well, you might like it more than I did.
Michelle Tackabery
An endearing, heart-breaking journey of lost love and painful memories that won't quit. How life keeps going on, and hurting, even when you wish it wouldn't.
California Girl
Feb 19, 2008 California Girl is currently reading it
I am currently reading this book. Don't know what to say about it until I really get into it. Once I do I will let you know!
Really awesome twist on an anti-Semitic viewpoint, heartbreaking, and not what I expected (in a good way!)
First chapter captivated me, and then it wandered all over with a ridiculous ending.
Unremarkable. The only thing I remember about it is that I didn't like it.
Beautifully constructed prose. I found myself re-reading certain passages.
strong, quiet historical novel. I'll look for more by this writer...
historical novel with quiet intrigue, and some heft...
Samiha Kamel
Samiha Kamel marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Bibiana marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Alysa marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2015
MX marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Tammie added it
May 25, 2015
Amy Scurria
Amy Scurria marked it as to-read
May 10, 2015