Start by marking “Find Me” as Want to Read:
Find Me

Find Me

3.28 of 5 stars 3.28  ·  rating details  ·  1,023 ratings  ·  110 reviews
Part memoir, part mystery, 'Find Me' is a tale of a friendship between a troubled young woman and a celebrity obsessed with helping her. Rosie O'Donnell's candid memoir is a topsy-turvy tale of mistaken identities and strange psychological illnesses that may or may not exist.
Published April 16th 2002 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Find Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Find Me

Ozma
I have always found Rosie O'Donnell entertaining, but I had no idea how much I would like her book! She is a terrific writer, and I believe she wrote this book and not a ghostwriter because the voice and the thought process is so authentic that I have to believe it is really her. The story is interesting -- the mother of a young woman contacts Rosie about her daughter being pregnant and giving up the child for adoption through Rosie's adoption agency, which specializes in placing children no one...more
Valerie
Archived at http://web.archive.org/web/2003012613...

Find Me by Rosie O'Donnell

Let me tell you everything that this newest book by Rosie O'Donnell is not. It is not an autobiography, although the openly gay stand-up comedian/film actress/talk show host and mother of three adopted children (with a child on the way from her somehow pregnant partner) does share a few snapshot moments. When she was a kid, Rosie let a mean trick be played on her brother, and she still feels guilty about it. After her...more
Heidi
Jan 22, 2008 Heidi rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: biography readers
Shelves: non-fiction, read2007
Rosie talks about believing things happen for a reason, and how sometimes she just knows things. Other times, not as deep, but profound, she has spingles. Spine tingles. When she recognizes those significant times, she feels compelled to follow up. In Find Me she tells of an obsessive quest to help a young woman. She recognizes a certain narcissism in wanting to be a superhero, sometimes to the detriment of her own family.

All the while reading this, I found myself thinking, but of course you're...more
Cathy
This may be the strangest book I have ever read. It is autobiographical and the jacket implies it's about adoption, so I thought it would be about her experience adopting her three kids. But no, it started out weird and got really weird. It creeped me out so much I had to stay up to 2am to finish it to see if the people she was writing about were real or just screwing around with her, since she's a celebrity. Turns out a bit of both. Be warned - you may not like Rosie O'Donnell that much after r...more
Jacob Lasher
I can not explain to you how many degrees of perfection this book entails. Truly captivating and I never wanted it to end. Absolutely wonderful.
Lori
I hesitatingly picked up this book from the library shelf, opened the cover and read the first page...I was hooked. This is one of the best memoir books I have read. Who knew... Rosie O'Donnell is a wonderful writer! Interspersed with heartbreaking personal vignettes of Rosie's childhood is the relationship she begins with a "family" on the West Coast. Rosie's first contact with the teenager Stacie, begins when she notices her file amoung many from the New Jersey adoption agency she funds. Somet...more
CJ
I like Rosie O'Donnell, always have. This book left me a little underwhelmed. Maybe I read it too quickly after Celebrity Detox, too much of a good thing?

Find Me was an interesting glimpse into mental illness. How it not only affects those who suffer from it, but those who watch from the outside. I was uncomfortable with the view into Rosie's head that the book afforded me. I don't want to go that far into anyone's head, let alone someone I only know from watching TV and the movies.

The book tell...more
L.
Lori Schiele
Not a typical autobiography, although a very fast read (read it in about 6 hours!)
So as not to accidentally give away spoilers, I will quote from the jacket cover: "Part memoir, part mystery, FIND ME is a compelling and utterly original tale that will break your heart as it heals it... It is the story of a friendship between a troubled young woman and a celebrity (Rosie O'Donnell) obsessed with helping her."

FIND ME is a true story and is a very interesting read. You learn things about the life...more
Lizzie
Reda
I love how Rosie told her story. It's moving. It's touching. It's different. It's beautiful. Another way to write your autobiography, I guess
Colleen
I thought this book was okay. I enjoyed the writing. The storyline became a bit redundant during the second half of the book. This was a very quick read.
Melissa
Not a typical autobiography. Very quick, interesting read, but you don't get much insight into who she really is.
Kathleen Hale
Favorite quote:
"I had a talk show, like Oprah's, only funny and without as much meaning." -Rosie O'Donnell
Carla Koah
Rosie... who knew? worth the read!
Cameron
No matter how you feel about Rosie O'Donnell the TV personality, it's hard to deny the woman has a powerfully distinct writing style. The driving story of this book, involving a letter Rosie's adoption agency receives from a 14-year-old girl, is so alive--at times heartbreaking and melodramatic, at other times eery and mysterious--you can't help but need to know more at the conclusion of each chapter. I finished the entire thing in 3 hours, and didn't shed a single tear until the very last page...more
Winter Rose
Completely Unexpected Story! Pleasantly Surprised!
Lauren
Thank goodness this was a quick read. Once it became apparent that the disjointed writing style and half glimpses into Rosie's childhood really didn't serve any purpose at all, I lost interest.

I was confused in the beginning as to what the actual story line was. While the experience itself was interesting I am not entirely convinced that the telling of Rosie's childhood memories really added to the main anecdote in any meaningful way. It's too bad since the story could have been much more.
Jenifer
Rosie draws quite an interesting picture of how she is drawn to an adolescent girl who she believes is in desperate need for her help. Rosie draws quite an interesting picture of why she is so drawn to this "girl"; her history is painted on a canvas for all to see.

While I did enjoy the story, I still find it hard to believe. I do know that all pieces MUST be true, there is just so little use of imagery and more use of describing both herself and the "girl" she is so drawn to.
Andria
With lots of fluff celebrity books, Rosie O'Donnell writes an interesting book which touches on many issues, not just of celebrity, of what it means to be human. Why do we need to help people? Do you think you could solve people's problems if you just had enough money? How to you stay in touch with the world when life has given you a bubble as an option?

Life lessons of compassion that stay with you, long after you have finished reading these beautifully written prose.
Jana
Many people don't know this, but I used to be a huge Rosie fan. Of course, this was pre The View days. I thought she was really funny, and did a lot of good through her charities. I read this book while I was still a fan. I thought it was an interesting story. It actually explains a little why she is the way she is. I feel sorry for her. I still think that she tries to do good in her own way. Unfortunately, she is doing some harm to society - unintentionally.
Tami
this is not a book I normally would have picked up. but the price was right. and the story was surprisingly good. i found myself wanting to spend another subway stop reading,(love when that happens). it was part memoir, which i enjoyed learning things about Rosie and part mystery. but more than mystery it was feeling the pain of a famous person. they feel pain too, they go through similar things. glad i read it.
Ellen Cohen
I read this book in a matter of hours--yes it is slim, but it is also compelling. It is not an autobiography; it is a memoir of a specific experience and the memories and buried feelings that experience digs up. I thought I knew where this book was going, but it surprised me. Ms. O'Donnell is a talented writer; you can hear her voice, her conversational tone, and yet she crafts some beautiful and evocative prose.
Ameera
This book was the first book I have finished. Well, this year though. I read Diary of a Wimpy Kid way back ago. Find me is a nice book, it really got my attention. I just borrowed the book at our school library. I finished the book because it was really unique. The scenes are great. It was unexpected. It had a lot of twists. I was literally talking to myself. I think I'm crazy, meself. Haha!
Loretta
I liked this a lot more than I thought I would. It is not your average celebrity memoir. It is part autobiography and part mystery, about the badly damaged young girl who becomes part of Rosie's life. Rosie is unsparing in looking at her faults and flaws, at the ways in which she herself is damaged, and at how a compulsive need to help is not the same thing as compassion. Really worth the read.
Lwf
Read this in one sitting, yesterday. Not what I expected to read but still interesting. Rosie has many demons in her life that she tries to deal with. She befriends a viewer and it turns out to be nothing one could expect (unless you already have heard the news!).

I share some of Rosie's life experiences or may not have liked this.
Alexis
Dec 18, 2007 Alexis rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people interested in Rosie Odonnell
After reading Celebrity Detox, I wanted to read Find Me.
Spoiler Alert!
This book is essentially about a bizarre relationship between Rosie and a split. In the end, she pondered the impossibilities of having a split personality. I can relate to Rosie in such that if I encountered a split personality person, I would be intrigued.
Nranger7
I had read Rosie's autobiography a few years before this, so the parts of this story where it relates to her own mother was repetitive for me. However, the main story involving Stacie was intriguing. I had a hard time putting this book down. Rosie has a down to earth style of writing which is a nice change from most novels I read.
Caulyne B
Aug 21, 2007 Caulyne B rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Shelves: biographymemoir
This was a lovely surprise. I won't give away the plot. But when Rosie O'Donnell had her own show, she was also involved in adoption charities, and through that process met an incredible individual who reached out for help. That's all I can say.. but this is a very engaging, quick read that I highly recommend.
Imas
Rosie O'Donnel, selebriti tenar, kaya dan sukses namun menyimpan kepahitan hidup masa kecil. Masa yang mempengaruhi kehidupan Rosie selanjutnya. Kesedihan hidupnya dimasa lalu membuatnya merasa nyaman dengan menjadi penolong dan orang baik bagi siapa pun. Sikap yang menjadi bumerang terhadap dirinya.
  • The Truth Is . . .: My Life in Love and Music
  • The Meaning of Matthew: My Son's Murder in Laramie, and a World Transformed
  • In Spite of Everything: A Memoir
  • Cancer Schmancer
  • I'm the One That I Want
Roseann "Rosie" O'Donnell is an eleven-time Emmy Award-winning American comedian, television talk show host, author, and film, television, and stage actress. She has also been magazine editor and continues to be a celebrity blogger, LGBT civil rights activist, television producer and collaborative partner in the LGBT family vacation company R Family Vacations.

Raised Irish Catholic, O'Donnell lost...more
More about Rosie O'Donnell...
Celebrity Detox Rosie O'Donnell's Crafty U: 100 Easy Projects the Whole Family Can Enjoy All Year Long Kids Are Punny: Jokes Sent by Kids to the Rosie O'Donnell Show Kids Are Punny 2: More Jokes Sent by Kids to the Rosie O'Donnell Show Bosom Buddies: Lessons and Laughter on Breast Health and Cancer

“I am difficult to love, and I know it. I never learned the unconditional part, so trust evades me. Add sex and I fall apart, eventually retreating back into the swamp. Very few people can put up with me, and I can't blame them. I am a constant contradiction. I annoy myself.” 6 likes
“I'd always admired writers. I'd always loved words on a page. Somehow, words seemed to bypass image and get straight to the heart of things. Somehow, words seemed big enough to contain pain, and sentences could pull broken bits together.” 5 likes