Theology for Beginners

Theology for Beginners

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  353 ratings  ·  27 reviews
…a brilliant book of immense practical usefulness. —Our Sunday Visitor

A Modern Classic

"The joy and excitement of theological knowledge is like the joy and excitement of any other love." —From Chapter One

Clear, precise and inspiring, Theology for Beginners has been acclaimed as one of the outstanding modern introductions to theology. More than a compendium of the cent...more
Published June 1st 1982 by St. Anthony Messenger Press (first published 1957)

Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoJesus of Nazareth by Pope Benedict XVIDark Night of the Soul by Juan de la Cruz
Roman Catholic Reading
14th out of 268 books — 138 voters
The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisMere Christianity by C.S. LewisStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxCatechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
20th out of 358 books — 83 voters

More lists with this book...

booklady
Mar 05, 2009 booklady rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all Christians
Recommended to booklady by: lh
This is my second reading of Theology For Beginners -- mostly because I can barely remember the first. What I do remember was at the time (probably sometime between '02-'04) it didn't seem a book 'for beginners'. This time, perhaps due to the reading I've done in the interim, it was much easier to understand. It's still very theoretical. Theology, after all, being 'the study of' God -- the most impenetrable mystery of all time -- it now amazes me Mr. Sheed has made this book as accessible as he...more
Karyn Yager
A short but powerful book. In just 186 pages Frank Sheed takes complex theology and boils it down to its essence, and presents it in a way that's easy to digest. This book could be easily read in a week or so, but you could also linger over it's contents for months. It is that unique combination of being concise, practical, easily understood, but also with depth that can be pondered endlessly. For some, this could be the beginning of a life long study of theology. For others it could be the only...more
J.T. Therrien
As Frank Sheed points out, many Catholics love and practice their religion, but most are illiterate when it comes to understanding some of the basic tenets of the Faith. Theology for Beginners addresses this problem.

Every Catholic should reacquaint themselves with the Faith: the Persons of the Trinity; the doctrine of the Immaculate Conception; Heaven, Hell and Purgatory; the Sacraments, etc. Everything relevant to being a Catholic is mentioned in this short book.

What I enjoyed most about Theol...more
Mike
This is an excellent starting point for delving into Catholic thought. It is not an easy read, but only because the subject matter is hard. It is clearly and readably written, it's phrasing is carefully considered for accuracy, and, while it doesn't go into great depth on things, it doesn't dumb them down, either. When I first read this book, there were elements that I didn't quite understand, and claims that I did not necessarily accept. It, however, gave me the grounding (and the questions) to...more
Julia
This should be required reading for all Catholics. Sheed explains things I never knew needed explaining! This was a challenging read for me and was glad to have two friends read it with me as I may have just put it back on the shelf, left to my own devices. I needed clarification from my spiritual director on some things. Did you know that trees have a soul? It sounds new agey, but they do!

Here's a quote: "Man is made by God of nothing, is held in existence from moment to moment simply by God's...more
Mike
This book was a great introduction. It is short, 186 pages, but don't be misled; read them slowly. He does an excellent job of marking off the geography to be covered by Theology but does not delve too deeply into any single topic. The book is filled with facts and observations which will cause you to stop and really think.

I would recommend reading this book prior to taking on the catechism of the Catholic Church; it will give the reader the necessary hooks on which to hang the concepts from the...more
Tom
This book proved to be helpful in my getting a more in depth look at the Catholic religion. It was an enlightenment is many aspects.

However, although it was printed in 2011, there were some faulty statements in the book. In one case, it was explained that only the priest celebrant could receive Holy Eucharist in both species, that is bread and wine. According to the book, all other could receive the host only. It seems the proofreading was in need of a second proofreader.
Joe
Sheed accomplishes just what he intends to do: convince the layman of the necessity of understanding fundamental Christian doctrines and set them forth with clarity and freshness of description. I really appreciate how much Sheed has reflected on the different topics. He has internalized them to make them more personal and express them more clearly. A bit dry toward the middle but overall thought provoking. I could see this as a good tool for group study and discussion.
Steve
A good introduction to the great mysteries of the Christian faith. Within these short 186 pages Frank Sheed brings light to many of the harder things to understand about our faith: the Trinity, Nature vs Person, the Soul, the Sacraments to name a few. Starting from who God is and ending with our final destination, Sheed walks us through the outline of what we need to know to be effective Christians.
Stephen Fahrig

Denise
I am reading this now as a preparation for reading with my husband who is on his long road to confirmation.
The for Beginners part is a bit misleading.
It is indeed ideal for beginners and anyone who wants a lucid meditation on the fundamentals of the Catholic faith.

I urge you, Molly to read it with us...
Michael Raphael
Excellent book. It provides pragmatic answers that are easy to understand. Every Catholic regardless of his/her vocation, should read this book and follow up the examples in the book. I would highly recommend this book.
Mark Lewin
A wonderful introduction to theology for Catholics. Sheed tells us the questions we should be asking and guides us to the answers. For a more comprehensive approach, try his "Theology and Sanity" which is equally good.
Wanda
This was a good review of "Theology and Sanity" which I read a while back. I probably should have read this one first. I actually liked "Theology and Sanity" better, even though it was more difficult.
John DeCuir
FANTASTIC introduction to basic Catholic theology. This is stuff you never learn in Church or at school but it is foundational to the faith. Highly recommended.
Kerath25
One of the best books I've read so far on the topic of theology. It covers a lot of ground, but, as the title suggests, it is only the surface.
Julia Mccoy
Great! If you have some theology background or none, this is the book for you. My mind was blown on each page with F. Sheeds insights.
Jon
Mar 02, 2008 Jon marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This has been sitting on my shelf for years and now that I am reading Theology and Sanity...I want to go back and read this book as well!
Compots
Explained the Trinity well. Only touches on the other doctrines, but like the title suggests, it is a great start.
Josh
Frank Sheed does a wonderful job fulfilling his task with this book: theology for beginners.
Cheryl Terrel
Aug 05, 2008 Cheryl Terrel is currently reading it
I've been reading this for at least 5 years now. I'll finish it eventually.
Jeanie
Because of this book, I will never doubt my faith again. Yeah, it's that good.
Erik
read portions while Wendy was teaching catechism; appeared quite good
Ted Leon
Really good survey of basic theological truths and understandings.
Wil Roese
One of the best books on theology that I have read.
Agus
Nov 22, 2010 Agus added it
Shelves: apologetics, theology
The newer edition has new cover design
Paulina
This book is eloquent and incisive. Frank Sheed describes complex theological issues in a way that the average lay Catholic can grasp without in any way simplifying said issues.

I especially enjoyed his explanations of the nature of spirit, of man's relation to God and how sin and grace change that relationship, of the need for God's redemption and of man's ultimate purpose and the Beatific Vision.

He uses analogies and posits truths that take awhile to process and that I know I will need to revis...more
Amicizia
This is a fine introduction to Catholic theology in which the late Frank Sheed offers an accessibly and very orthodox explanation of the Church's fundamental teachings. His way of explaining the Trinity - the central mystery of the Christian faith, yet one of the more difficult theological concepts to articulate - is especially noteworthy.
Poonchka
It's really interesting to read these books and then go to Mass and hear something that just reinforces what you've read. :)
Meg
A very thorough introduction to Catholic theology. I learned quite a bit I thought I already knew.
  • The Spirit of the Liturgy
  • Handbook of Christian Apologetics
  • Of Human Life: Humanae Vitae
  • The Way of Perfection
  • Interior Freedom
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • Fire within: Teresa of Avila, John of the Cross and the Gospel - On Prayer
  • Witness to Hope: The Biography of Pope John Paul II
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • The Way
Frank Sheed was a Catholic apologist and street-corner speaker originally from Australia. He lived in London from 1926 onward. Unlike many of the other prominent Catholic writers in England at that time Sheed was not a convert, but raised Catholic and of Irish descent. Along with his wife, Mary "Maisie" Ward, he founded Sheed & Ward. The couple tend to be linked together in accomplishments. Th...more
More about Frank Sheed...
Theology and Sanity To Know Christ Jesus Map of Life The Action of the Holy Spirit, the Lord And Giver of Life: The Holy Spirit in Action