Tales of Unease (Wordsworth Mystery & the Supernatural) (Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In these twilight excursions, Doyle's vivid imagination for the strange, the grotesque and the frightening is given full rein. We move from the mysteries of Egypt and the strange powers granted by The Ring of Thoth to the isolated ghostlands of the Arctic in The Captain of the Polestar; we encounter a monstrous creature in The Terror of Blue John Cap and the beings that li...more
Published April 24th 2008 by Wordsworth Editions Ltd (first published 2000)

Stig
Fifteen tales and not a single dud among them. "Tales of Unease" indeed - some of these stories are very disturbing. Brilliant.
Riju Ganguly
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has been somewhat type-cast as the author of Sherlock Holmes stories (exactly the thing that he had apprehended, and had consequently decided, somewhat hastily, to do away with the "meddling fellow" for good in Reichenbach). Unfortunately, this type-casting has led to our loss, and has made us unaware of the fact that above-all, he was a wonderful story-teller who knew how to tell a gripping story. The stories in this book all testify to this effect, and should be lapped u...more
Jeannie Sloan
This was a very good book.Doyle has been forgotten as a writer of fantasy and horror which he does to a very good degree in this book.
It was worth the $7 price tag and I am sure that I will read the stories again.I really can't imagine anyone being dissapointed with this work.
Andy
I've been a fan of Conan Doyle after spending a great summer working my way through Sherlock Holmes, then later the Lost World story collection. I picked this up a while back and read the first short story which didn't really set me on fire so it got put down again. However, I took it with me while walking the Kepler Track last week and discovered an interesting collection of scary, unsettling and often violent tales. I'd read 'The Brazilian Cat' before but the rest were new to me.

They have an i...more
Bill  Kerwin

One of the impressive thing about this book is that its worst stories, in spite of their trivial or absurd denouements, still offer a satisfying reading experience. Conan Doyle is a master of narrative prose and draws you into the world of his stories even when their essential conception may be outdated or flawed.

Most of the inferior stories in this collection are flawed precisely because they are outdated. Although some have genuinely eerie supernatural elements, most of his stories are not rea...more
Fuglsang
Classics equal no reviews in my world. It may seem silly but I don't feel entitled to review the likes of sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'll say though, that it's a shame for people to only ever read the stories about Sherlock Holmes - do yourselves a favour and pick up not only the great mr. Holmes but also a collection of short stories such as this one. Doyle is a brilliant story teller.

My favourite from this collection is the shortest one: "How It Happened." In a few pages, Doyle managed to knock th...more
Iain
Jul 02, 2012 Iain rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
Short horror stories are rarely any good, in my opinion. They don't have the chance to build mystery or suspense and often end quickly, with a throwaway line.

Doyle's skill is in the telling of these tales and the beautiful prose used, particularly in the opening sections of each. The stories themselves cross various boundaries with some Lovecraftian beasts appearing in a handful, traditional horror "monsters" in others, and the supernatural being hinted at also.

It's fairly well known that Sir AC...more
Clint
I almost gave this book five stars, but the first couple and last couple of stories fell a little flat. The others completely took me by surprise. Everyone of course knows Sherlock Holmes, and some of us know The Lost World, but not many people have read these stories. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't expect some of the badassery I came across here. While a lot of the stories are kind of predictable, they're still excellent, and a couple of times, he even comes near H.P. Love...more
Flavia
I have to say, it is quite stunning to see the difference between the logic and scientific world that we see in Sherlock Holmes, and read these mysteries and magical worlds, it is a most pleasant surprise. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius! He could approach so man styles and do them all justice. In these stories you will find a lot of elements you have seen in recent films, I now know where they got some of the ideas from.
Aileen
Collection of stories that are dated now, but I imagine when they were written they would have been very creepy indeed. I particularly enjoyed The Horror of the Heights - an early aviator taking his plane up to unheard of altitude and encountering the creatures that live up there.
Arjun
Tales Of Unease is one of my personal favorites,and if asked, i would recommend it to all who loves Doyle(and who doesn't?). A blend of myth,horror,mystery and suspense,this one book will keep you hooked till the end.(PS-Collection of Short Stories)
Marina Dahl
creepy, but not overly so.
it took me like 3 weeks to read :/
i loved it though. A+ sir arthur.
Rebecca Wright
Rebecca Wright marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Rebecca Hercock-McKeague
Rebecca Hercock-McKeague marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Pandora999
Pandora999 marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
Jillian Stauffer
Jillian Stauffer marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Nikki Smith
Nikki Smith marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Gregg James
Gregg James marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Tegan Giesel
Tegan Giesel marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
David Drake
David Drake marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2014
Mec
Mec added it
Jul 09, 2014
Maria
Maria marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Jasmine Ahlbeck
Jasmine Ahlbeck marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Pietro
Pietro is currently reading it
Jul 04, 2014
lar-
lar- marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
  • Madam Crowl's Ghost & Other Stories
  • Ghost Stories
  • The Collected Ghost Stories of E.F. Benson
  • One Thousand and One Ghosts
  • Gothic Short Stories (Wordsworth Classics)
  • Carnacki, the Ghost Finder
  • The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • The Haunted Hotel & Other Stories
  • Collected Ghost Stories
  • The Oxford Book of Gothic Tales
  • The Dark: New Ghost Stories
  • The Monkey's Paw and Other Tales of Mystery and Macabre
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • The Three Impostors and Other Stories
  • The Lurker at the Threshold
  • Classic Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories
  • The Complete Short Stories
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record...more
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...
A Study in Scarlet  (Sherlock Holmes, #1) The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes, #3) The Complete Sherlock Holmes The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sherlock Holmes, #5) The Complete Sherlock Holmes, Volume II