Start by marking “Tales of Unease” as Want to Read:
Tales of Unease

Tales of Unease

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  439 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This gripping set of tales by the master storyteller Arthur Conan Doyle is bound to thrill and unnerve you. In these twilight excursions, Doyle's vivid imagination for the strange, the grotesque and the frightening is given full rein.

We move from the mysteries of Egypt and the strange powers granted by The Ring of Thoth to the isolated ghostlands of the Arctic in The Capta
Published April 5th 2008 by Wordsworth Editions (first published 1894)

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Unease, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Unease

Bill  Kerwin

One of the impressive things about this book is that its worst stories, in spite of their trivial or absurd denouements, still offer a satisfying reading experience. Conan Doyle is a master of narrative prose and draws you into the world of his stories even when their essential conception may be outdated or flawed.

Most of the inferior stories in this collection are flawed precisely because they are outdated. Although some have genuinely eerie supernatural elements, most of his stories are not re
Cameron Trost
Frissons aplenty are guaranteed in this collection, which offers the daring reader some of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's most imaginative and cleverly crafted tales. From the psychological suspense of "The New Catacomb" and "The Brazilian Cat" to the supernatural terror of "The Ring of Thoth" and "The Los Amigos Fiasco", the unease promised by the title never ceases. There really is no point in me writing a lengthy review of this collection, and it would be a terrible shame to ruin any of the many tw ...more
albionlady
„Ja sa netrasiem od zimy.“
(A. C. Doyle: Dobrodružstvo škvrnitej pásky)

Túto knihu som vyhrala na soirée a mám podpis jedného z jej prekladateľov! To len tak na úvod, pretože sa z toho stále neskutočne teším.

Diabolská izba je zbierka poviedok sira Arthura Conana Doyla a ľudí, ktorí tohto spisovateľa poznajú len ako autora slávneho racionálneho detektíva a majstra dedukcie Sherlocka Holmesa, určite prekvapí. Doyle v nej totiž rozpráva príbehy plné nadprirodzených udalostí, bytostí a zjavov. Zaujíma
Riju Ganguly
Jun 25, 2011 Riju Ganguly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle has been somewhat type-cast as the author of Sherlock Holmes stories (exactly the thing that he had apprehended, and had consequently decided, somewhat hastily, to do away with the "meddling fellow" for good in Reichenbach). Unfortunately, this type-casting has led to our loss, and has made us unaware of the fact that above-all, he was a wonderful story-teller who knew how to tell a gripping story. The stories in this book all testify to this effect, and should be lapped u ...more
Jeannie Sloan
Dec 27, 2009 Jeannie Sloan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very good book.Doyle has been forgotten as a writer of fantasy and horror which he does to a very good degree in this book.
It was worth the $7 price tag and I am sure that I will read the stories again.I really can't imagine anyone being dissapointed with this work.
Stig
Fifteen tales and not a single dud among them. "Tales of Unease" indeed - some of these stories are very disturbing. Brilliant.
Tara
Jan 01, 2015 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best story is "Lot No. 249"
Torgo
Jun 08, 2015 Torgo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an old-fashioned book of spooky stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle of Sherlock Holmes fame.
I love spooky stories, and I love old fashioned ones, particularly of the cosmic horror Lovecraft vibe. These stories, however, are more of your standard ghost story fare. Although they're all good stories, fun to read, mostly engaging and interesting, I felt like that extra pinch of magic wasn't there for me; honestly these stories were just a little too bland for my taste.
There's a couple of excep
Andy
Mar 14, 2011 Andy rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, 2011
I've been a fan of Conan Doyle after spending a great summer working my way through Sherlock Holmes, then later the Lost World story collection. I picked this up a while back and read the first short story which didn't really set me on fire so it got put down again. However, I took it with me while walking the Kepler Track last week and discovered an interesting collection of scary, unsettling and often violent tales. I'd read 'The Brazilian Cat' before but the rest were new to me.

They have an i
Fuglsang
Jul 09, 2015 Fuglsang rated it it was amazing
Classics equal no reviews in my world. It may seem silly but I don't feel entitled to review the likes of sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

I'll say though, that it's a shame for people to only ever read the stories about Sherlock Holmes - do yourselves a favour and pick up not only the great mr. Holmes but also a collection of short stories such as this one. Doyle is a brilliant story teller.

My favourite from this collection is the shortest one: "How It Happened." In a few pages, Doyle managed to knock th
Deb
Sep 25, 2014 Deb rated it really liked it
What a storyteller this man is! Even when the edge is dulled because of the dated factor, the mesmerization of his words captures. An aspect of one of the stories that I enjoyed was to compare Conan Doyle's monstery unknowns to our 21st century unknowns...his monsters of the upper atmosphere vs our monsters of outer space.
Iain
Jul 02, 2012 Iain rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Short horror stories are rarely any good, in my opinion. They don't have the chance to build mystery or suspense and often end quickly, with a throwaway line.

Doyle's skill is in the telling of these tales and the beautiful prose used, particularly in the opening sections of each. The stories themselves cross various boundaries with some Lovecraftian beasts appearing in a handful, traditional horror "monsters" in others, and the supernatural being hinted at also.

It's fairly well known that Sir AC
Wayne Farmer
Feb 29, 2016 Wayne Farmer rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
A nice little collection of stories from Conan Doyle that aren't what you'd have expected coming from the creator of Sherlock Holmes. These stand alongside Edgar Allan Poe and are well written short stories of creepiness. Yes some stories lose something in the passing of time since they were first written but there are some genuine creepy moments here. My favourite was "The Leather Funnel" which has a brilliant last paragraph that actually makes you feel uneasy. Its also interesting to see stori ...more
Clint
Apr 05, 2010 Clint rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I almost gave this book five stars, but the first couple and last couple of stories fell a little flat. The others completely took me by surprise. Everyone of course knows Sherlock Holmes, and some of us know The Lost World, but not many people have read these stories. I didn't know what to expect, but I certainly didn't expect some of the badassery I came across here. While a lot of the stories are kind of predictable, they're still excellent, and a couple of times, he even comes near H.P. Love ...more
Richard Noble
Feb 27, 2016 Richard Noble rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
this was a bit of a mixed bag. the good stories ( lot 249, captain of the pole star) certainly made up for the weaker ones ( the los amigos fiasco, the nightmare room)
Kit
Feb 01, 2016 Kit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
The best stories are pretty good! I wonder whether Pynchon read "Lot No. 249."
Aslı Can
Mumyalar, hayaletler, cadılar, büyücüler. Olaylar hep bilimle ilgilenen insanların başından geçiyor. Yallah cinler yallah. Kış kış cinler kış kış.
Shona
Mar 19, 2015 Shona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The introduction was pretty harsh! Glad I read that after the actual stories.
Flavia
Jul 04, 2011 Flavia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say, it is quite stunning to see the difference between the logic and scientific world that we see in Sherlock Holmes, and read these mysteries and magical worlds, it is a most pleasant surprise. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a genius! He could approach so man styles and do them all justice. In these stories you will find a lot of elements you have seen in recent films, I now know where they got some of the ideas from.
Kıvanç Özışık
Bazı hikayeler gerçekten iyiydi.
Aileen
Mar 26, 2013 Aileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Collection of stories that are dated now, but I imagine when they were written they would have been very creepy indeed. I particularly enjoyed The Horror of the Heights - an early aviator taking his plane up to unheard of altitude and encountering the creatures that live up there.
Arjun
Aug 28, 2012 Arjun rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Tales Of Unease is one of my personal favorites,and if asked, i would recommend it to all who loves Doyle(and who doesn't?). A blend of myth,horror,mystery and suspense,this one book will keep you hooked till the end.(PS-Collection of Short Stories)
Marizona
Dec 29, 2013 Marizona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
creepy, but not overly so.
it took me like 3 weeks to read :/
i loved it though. A+ sir arthur.
Ange
Jan 20, 2015 Ange rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
fun
Ravali Nagasri
Ravali Nagasri marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Faina
Faina rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2016
Amira Ali
Amira Ali marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2016
Μάρκος Τ.
Μάρκος Τ. rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2016
Lirnaneliel
Lirnaneliel marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
  • Terror by Night: Classic Ghost & Horror Stories
  • The Oxford Book of Victorian Ghost Stories
  • Classic Victorian & Edwardian Ghost Stories
  • Children of the Night: Classic Vampire Stories
  • The Complete John Silence Stories (Dover Horror Classics)
  • Collected Ghost Stories
Arthur Conan Doyle was born the third of ten siblings on 22 May 1859 in Edinburgh, Scotland. His father, Charles Altamont Doyle, was born in England of Irish descent, and his mother, born Mary Foley, was Irish. They were married in 1855.

Although he is now referred to as "Conan Doyle", the origin of this compound surname (if that is how he meant it to be understood) is uncertain. His baptism record
More about Arthur Conan Doyle...