A Handbook to Literature

A Handbook to Literature

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Entries define, explain, and illustrate terms and concepts from film, theater, printing, linguistics, criticism, theory, and literary history.
Published December 31st 1996 by Prentice Hall (first published 1936)

To ask other readers questions about A Handbook to Literature, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Handbook to Literature

Mike Puma
Aug 29, 2010 Mike Puma rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lit majors & lit crit readers
Shelves: lit-crit
One to be refered to over and over. It includes more entries than Abrams' A Glossary of Terms, but Abrams' book has longer, and in some ways better, coverage of each entry. I usually go to this volume first, then follow up with Abrams when I want to know more.
sologdin
Traditional guide through literary & rhetorical terminology. Basically indispensible for literary students. Does not contain much in the way of theory or criticism--that's for other items, such as the Columbia Dictionary of Modern Literary & Cultural Criticism.
Susan
A MUST-HAVE for any English student, teacher, or professor.
Jszh
It is a handy book that can be read for pleasure. However, the publisher really doesn't need to update it every 3 years to force poor students to buy the new editions. In this 10th edition the editor admitted there was little substantial he could add. In fact, he mentioned his children suggested three new entries - "manga", "coffee table book" and "jumping the shark"- strangely, "jumping the shark" was not even actually added as the other two...Greedy publishers :-(, lousy work. Luck that I have...more
Quinn
Dec 13, 2013 Quinn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in literary theory
While this book is not the sort of book you read cover to cover, for someone who had any kind of formal literary education, it's a godsend.
It's most useful to me reading books about books - Harold Bloom comes to mind - when I come upon a term I don't entirely understand. I love it. It's given a better understanding of a lot of my favorite books and authors.
Scott
Puzzled by parataxis? Stymied by the sublime? Unsure of your unreliable narrator? Look no further than this exhaustive literary resource.
David
This was one of the books I was smart enough to keep from college. It's a great resource for literary terminology and definitions.
James
Handy dictionary of literary movements and terms. Useful if you feel like toting it around.
Stevie
only snipets, but provided good jumping-off point and reminders for writing or research
Cameron
A helpful tool for the aspiring autodidact or bibliophile.
Ronald
A nice introduction to literature.
Jackye
May 02, 2007 Jackye marked it as to-read
camin
Brogan
Brogan marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Alexei
Alexei marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kristina
Kristina marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
Marzieh
Marzieh marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
Jay
Jay added it
Jul 26, 2014
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Cheryll
Cheryll marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Shiloh
Shiloh added it
Jul 13, 2014
  • The Norton Anthology of English Literature, Vol. E: The Victorian Age
  • The Daily Writer: 366 Meditations To Cultivate A Productive And Meaningful Writing Life
  • The Critical Tradition: Classic Texts and Contemporary Trends
  • The Bedford Companion to Shakespeare: An Introduction with Documents
  • The Norton Anthology of American Literature, Volume A: Literature to 1820
  • Defining the World: The Extraordinary Story of Dr Johnson’s Dictionary
  • The Bedford Introduction to Literature: Reading, Thinking, Writing
  • Our Vampires, Ourselves
  • The Portable Sixties Reader
  • MLA Handbook for Writers of Research Papers
  • The Major Works (Oxford World's Classics)
  • The Pocket Muse: Ideas and Inspirations for Writing
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Victorian People and Ideas
  • Perrine's Literature: Structure, Sound, and Sense
  • Dictionary of Celtic Myth and Legend
  • Critical Theory Today: A User-Friendly Guide
  • The Bedford Glossary of Critical and Literary Terms
The Top 500 Poems The Classic Hundred Poems: All-Time Favorites The Oxford Book Of American Light Verse Mutatis Mutandis: 27 Invoices Classic Fifty All-Time Favorite Poems